Computer Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you use the iPad as a tablet PC? Can you load software like Microsoft Office on it? Please advise. I am still looking for a laptop and was thinking about getting a Macbook or Macbookpro, but if the ipad can be used as a tablet pc and accept software, then I may reconsider. I just thought that it was a glorified iphone. Please let me know.

It is not, as some may claim, a glorified iPhone. That statement is like saying a full-size laptop is a glorified netbook, because they run the same OS. There are similarities, but one is definitely more powerful and flexible than the other, and their uses are not interchangeable.

Although Office is not available for it, an Office-compatible, functionally equivalent suite of apps is (iWork, consisting of Pages [compare to Word], Numbers [Excel], and Keynote [Powerpoint]. Each is able to be purchased separately and costs $10. All can open, edit and save files in Office formats.). If you already have a usable computer (like I do - I have a MacBook from 2007 that's clunky but gets the job done), the iPad will take 90% of your work (note-taking, web browsing + reading, email, etc.) while your old computer can handle that additional 10% (flash video, class-issued software, printing). If you don't like software keyboards, you can use a bluetooth regular keyboard. If you prefer stylus input, you can buy a capacative stylus fairly cheaply and use stylus input software from the App Store. In addition, the iPad will be getting a free major OS upgrade in the fall, which may give it additional power (printing has been tossed around as a possibility).

An iPad is NOT an acceptable solution as a stand-alone computer at this time. If you don't have access to a regular computer to do that extra 10%, I don't recommend it. However, if you're in my situation (functional computer, not wanting to spend a lot of money on a new tablet), it is a cost-effective alternative to purchasing a whole tablet. I have zero complaints so far.

Sorry for not responding faster, I kinda stopped looking in this thread when it got deep into discussion of the individual quirks of that tablet everyone got.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an HPtm2t tablet and I absolutely LOVE it! Ok-State offers free Microsoft software to students so I got Office 2010. OneNote is AWESOME! I love that I can take handwritten notes on it and then search my own handwriting. I have had no problem with the handwriting recognition software. I am very pleased with this Tablet.

Tiktaalik: I tossed around the same idea - getting an iPad for note-taking and portability reasons while maintaining my Macbook Pro & home desktop Windows/Linux dual boot setups.

Anyway my question is how seamless is communication between the systems? I imagine I'd want to back things up to the MBP and/or desktop periodically (which are in turn backed up to an external drive periodically) to make sure I don't lose stuff. I also imagine that since (IMO) one of the biggest advantages to Mac stuff is that integration between their devices is pretty damn good, there's good ways to do something like this on a regular basis. How's your experience with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tiktaalik: I tossed around the same idea - getting an iPad for note-taking and portability reasons while maintaining my Macbook Pro & home desktop Windows/Linux dual boot setups.

Anyway my question is how seamless is communication between the systems? I imagine I'd want to back things up to the MBP and/or desktop periodically (which are in turn backed up to an external drive periodically) to make sure I don't lose stuff. I also imagine that since (IMO) one of the biggest advantages to Mac stuff is that integration between their devices is pretty damn good, there's good ways to do something like this on a regular basis. How's your experience with that?

It's very good about that. Just like an iPod or iPhone, it maintains a complete backup on your computer updated every time you connect it to iTunes. The backup can be restored to a new device with ease, too. If you decided, say, to take your iPad on a cruise and dropped it over the side to the bottom of the ocean, all the effort it would take on your part to fully restore your data from backup to the replacement iPad you bought would be plugging it in and picking "restore from backup". Really simple.

Moving documents between machines in a format you can edit is a little stickier, but you can typically email them back and forth or connect the device, scroll down to the bottom of the Apps tab and manipulate files in the "File Sharing" section.

one of the functions on One Note was not working, the print driver for One Note. It was because i have a 64-bit system.

If your Office 07 is too old or your version isn't the retail version, there are a couple of options available for 64-bit users. My wife is currently using this one:
http://xps2onenote.codeplex.com/

It's a bit clunky, but it works well. It basically creates a folder on your desktop and anything you drop into it is automatically imported into OneNote. This was created by one of the writers of OneNote, but it it not supported by MS. Apparently, the 64-bit support wasn't written in because, like everything else in the computer world, no one foresaw the expansion of 64-bit OSs.
Another solution is this:
http://onenoteprintdriver.blogspot.com/
I haven't tested it - my wife frowns on me using her school computer as a test bed.

If your Office 07 is too old or your version isn't the retail version, there are a couple of options available for 64-bit users. My wife is currently using this one:
http://xps2onenote.codeplex.com/

It's a bit clunky, but it works well. It basically creates a folder on your desktop and anything you drop into it is automatically imported into OneNote. This was created by one of the writers of OneNote, but it it not supported by MS. Apparently, the 64-bit support wasn't written in because, like everything else in the computer world, no one foresaw the expansion of 64-bit OSs.
Another solution is this:
http://onenoteprintdriver.blogspot.com/
I haven't tested it - my wife frowns on me using her school computer as a test bed.

OOo thanks!! that is a life saver for someone who can't upgrade to Office 2010! It is nice to know they wouldn't be completely stuck without it! Luckily, i got my laptop during the special time frame so I received the free upgrade to office 2010 and now the print driver works! yay!

If you're getting something for school, and you want/ need it to last, also make sure that you buy from a company that offers screen replacement. I know Fujitsu does, and while it's about an extra $500 for the full 3 year plan, that's a three year warranty on the whole thing, and three years screen protection- they'll replace the screen up to twice a year, no questions asked. Quite a deal, since a *normal* replacement screen is usually about as much as a whole new laptop, and sometimes more- I was quoted $1600nz four years ago on mine. I don't even want to think about how much a replacement on a tablet would run.

-j.

oh- i never replaced that screen, just got a monitor to plug it into.

I got a replacement screen for my HP (14.1") for about $100 online. I think the company was screen tech or something. If you go through the manufacturer you will pay an arm and a leg, but this screen was identical and much cheaper than a "screen warranty". Now one of my hinges is broken but I still use it anyway. I'll replace it eventually I guess, but I've just been too lazy so far.

I just got an HPtm2t tablet and I absolutely LOVE it! Ok-State offers free Microsoft software to students so I got Office 2010. OneNote is AWESOME! I love that I can take handwritten notes on it and then search my own handwriting. I have had no problem with the handwriting recognition software. I am very pleased with this Tablet.

Good to know, as I was considering that same computer. I am also looking at the Asus T101MT... smaller and lighter and cheaper, but I would need an external cd/dvd drive.

Oneday- I actually went through the only repair shop in all of NZ (at the time, might have changed) that was "certified" to work on Fujitsu computers. They looked for a new screen everywhere, and the nearest one they found (again, to NZ) was in Singapore. So the price was inflated for exchange rates, shipping, and other stuff.

The screen replacement isn't worth it on a cheaper computer like a $300 netbook, but on something that costs a couple thousand dollars, or is maybe more prone to breaking (thinking tablets here) it's worth it. Also really worth it when you're overseas and can't get parts or a replacement. Or maybe it just depends.

Oneday- I actually went through the only repair shop in all of NZ (at the time, might have changed) that was "certified" to work on Fujitsu computers. They looked for a new screen everywhere, and the nearest one they found (again, to NZ) was in Singapore. So the price was inflated for exchange rates, shipping, and other stuff.

The screen replacement isn't worth it on a cheaper computer like a $300 netbook, but on something that costs a couple thousand dollars, or is maybe more prone to breaking (thinking tablets here) it's worth it. Also really worth it when you're overseas and can't get parts or a replacement. Or maybe it just depends.

Ah, I guess I saved because I located and purchased the screen myself and replaced it myself (a few screws and cable connections is all it takes). I'm cheap though and I don't like paying someone to do something I know I can do myself :). Also, HP might be a bit easier to find than some other brands. I suppose for a Mac a screen replacement plan might be a good idea, considering the expense of those computers. Personally I can't justify spending over about $600 for a computer, considering how quickly technology advances.

I have a question for those who say they scan or retype their handwritten notes after class: Do you generally keep your paper copy after you enter your notes on your computer? I have a pile of notebooks, most of which have been scanned, but I'm never totally comfortable getting rid of them. I'd like to just have everything on my computer, but just wanted to get a feel for what others did.

Ultimately, I'd like to move to a tablet like everyone here has been discussing, but that will be for another time (like when I have some spare cash...)

I condense my handwritten notes when I type them into the computer. That way I get rid of all the extraneous words that aren't really relevant and diagram everything simply (rather than a block of text).

So in short: yes I kept my handwritten notes and have been glad I did on some occasions.

Anything you put into a computer that you really want to keep should have a back up. This can be the original hand written version, a print out after entering the info, burning it to disk, saving it to an external hard drive, or putting it all on a RAID 5 server. I preach this to all my users because invariably, someone will experience a catastrophic data loss. "Save early, save often, diversify" is not just good financial advice.

You can also do a free online backup through dropbox. I believe the web address is www.dropbox.com or it might be www.getdropbox.com. Can access it from any computer, phone (with internet), or whatever. It's free, but you're limited to 2 gigs unless you ***** more people into signing up.

Say....that reminds me.
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU4MjY1OQ

^^^ Use that link, use that link, use that link!! ^^^ ;)

Ok but seriously, yah it's really useful. Not sure when they're going to take it down though (if ever) but they may eventually start charging for it. Have had it 2 years now though and it's been free so far and I've never had the service go down on me and not be able to access files. *wood knock*

Say....that reminds me.
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTU4MjY1OQ

^^^ Use that link, use that link, use that link!! ^^^ ;)

Ok but seriously, yah it's really useful. Not sure when they're going to take it down though (if ever) but they may eventually start charging for it. Have had it 2 years now though and it's been free so far and I've never had the service go down on me and not be able to access files. *wood knock*

Dropbox is great. I've been using it for nearly as long as you now, and was just trying to get some people to sign up as referrals as I'm about out of space and don't want to pay.

As far as backups go, I have that covered, but I guess my concern is that someday down the road I may wish I had the paper copies, but I guess it's not really that big of a deal.

In other news, all this tablet talk has made me seriously consider purchasing a tablet as I finish up undergrad. I think it would be a perfect fit for me. I run onenote in a VM on my macbook pro right now, and it's sometimes very slow, but still quite useful for keeping everything organized.

Does anyone know a quick way to get rid of bloatware on an HP? I am technologically challenged and I really want to get rid of all the stuff I don't need so my computer will run faster.

Does anyone know a quick way to get rid of bloatware on an HP? I am technologically challenged and I really want to get rid of all the stuff I don't need so my computer will run faster.

I generally just go into Control Panel (assuming Windows here) and Programs and Features (or Add/Remove programs in XP) and start removing each unnecessary piece of software until everything is gone. It takes a while, but it will be worth the time to get everything off.

That's the best way I know of. You can also open up task manager and the processes tab, then use Google to identify processes that you don't want running. Then go to Start > Run (or in Vista/7 just type this it in the search field) > msconfig then disable said processes in the Startup tab. Don't touch anything else unless you want to plow through some Services.

That's the best way I know of. You can also open up task manager and the processes tab, then use Google to identify processes that you don't want running. Then go to Start > Run (or in Vista/7 just type this it in the search field) > msconfig then disable said processes in the Startup tab. Don't touch anything else unless you want to plow through some Services.

This route is the easiest, but you have to make sure you keep an eye on it. Programs like to add themselves back to the start up sequence, so you'll end up with another instance of the program running. The most complete method is to disable them in start up, then uninstall them through Add/Remove Programs, then go poking around in the registry. Find someone who knows what they are doing, or research it yourself. I choose the latter - I'm cheap. I don't recall HP installing a lot of programs. Most of the time there's a bunch of crap on the desktop that is only links for downloading. Just right click and delete them. Between Google and a little common sense, you don't really need an A+ cert to work on a computer these days.

My MacBook Pro actually has this incorporated into the Microsoft Word program-- I found out about it from SDN! If you go into the Notebook view or layout, then you can see a microphone which interacts with what you type.

Oh wow, I had no idea, that's super exciting!

A really good thing about the iPad right now is that iPad 2 was just released, so people will be running to sell their first gen iPad's to buy the iPad 2. This might be a good time to get the 1st iPad for "cheap" since a lot may show up on Ebay/local craigslist soon!

Edit: That Word Notebook layout with recording is THE COOLEST THING EVER!!! This is so awesome. I have Office 2011 for my 2007 Macbook (13 inch, not the pro) and the recording works!! I am in love with this!

Last edited: