Messed up catastrophically

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GH253

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had been carrying a high B in ochem all quarter (good exams, bad labs) and my intention was to get it up to an A by killing the final. Instead I totally self-destructed the day of the exam and was only able to get through about 20% of it before I gave up and quit in an emotional fit.

This happened for a distinct reason. Long story short: I tried meth (first time doing a hard drug of any kind) a few days before the final and the stuff dropped me like a ton of bricks after I came down. I was still severely, severely depressed and f'd up several days later and couldn't focus come time for the final. I just sat there and stared at the paper and was totally unable to think or funciton.

So now my potential A has been knocked down to probably a C and I am ****ed. I can take the C and move on with life or drop the class and lose the whole quarter. Either way I'm demoralized. What should I do. Has anyone else recovered from a catastropheic f-up like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake the class - people can recover from C's in orgo. Don't do meth again.

Members don't see this ad :)
a C isnt bad. but do you think <20% on the exam will get you from a high B to a C?

Misread post. Let's not be so impulsive and randomly try meth.

Last edited:
Retake the class - people can recover from C's in orgo. Don't do meth again.

Agreed. i would even reconsider retaking a 'C' if my app was otherwise stealer. def don't do the meth again. C's get degrees, even med school degrees. Meth gets bad teeth and prison time.

This.

And why would you try meth?

I'm not into drugs but I found a light bulb with substance in it while rummaging through my brother's room and it piqued my curiosity since I had always wanted to know what it does for him. I had no idea the after-effects would be so bad.

Last edited:
1) I can't believe I am in a fight to gain admission with people who have moral issues to get into med school.

2) What is up with all the sores on their skin?

OP, you do realize that you are giving the non-meth using premeds a huge advantage over you. You are falling behind in the competition to get into med school. And, if, and it is a huge "if", you do get into med school, the non-meth using med students will have a huge advantage over you when you take Step One, and when you guys apply to Derm and Plastics. Most meth-using med students do not break 230 - which is a low score for competitive residencies.

Very few meth users get into competitve residencies.

you tried it once. stupid, but whatever, it was a one time thing, --just keep it that way.

take the class again if you get the C and know you can do better. you don't HAVE to; one C won't kill you, but meth will.

and it's never good to look around in your brother's drawers.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you do realize that you are giving the non-meth using premeds a huge advantage over you. You are falling behind in the competition to get into med school. And, if, and it is a huge "if", you do get into med school, the non-meth using med students will have a huge advantage over you when you take Step One, and when you guys apply to Derm and Plastics. Most meth-using med students do not break 230 - which is a low score for competitive residencies.

Very few meth users get into competitve residencies.

well I'm going for FM so I can probably keep tweaking all the way through

well I'm going for FM so I can probably keep tweaking all the way through

Last time I checked, even FM had to pass Step One. Most tweakers, well, they tweak out, on the day of that exam, from lack of sleep, and paranoia, yeah, the scores usually are pretty bad.

Sorry, meth is really bad sh#t, and if you are doing that stuff, get your life together. I have no sympathy for you.

Sure, we need more FM doc's on meth.

Go away and clean up your act.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh okay i thought your were trolling but i was trying to be nice

ohhhhhhhhhhhh okay i thought your were trolling but i was trying to be nice

I hope the OP was trolling. Otherwise, his teeth are going to look like crap, chances of getting a date with a human being of either sex will be slim, and he better make a reservation at one of the nicer homeless shelters, near the med school of his choice. Jesus.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask a legitimate adviser what to do (maybe not mention the meth) but indicate your desire to attend med school, that you managed to severely screw up in ochem but it was a fluke, and ask what specifically you should do regarding retaking the course. Some people on here are waaayyy too judgmental so you should take SDN advice, including mine, with a grain of salt. You are human and you made a mistake. Life goes on. I think the biggest flaw in your decision was the timing. Next time you want to experiment with drugs, do it over a break or something, and research it a little so you know what you're getting yourself into. And for the record, meth is not the sort thing you want to get into as far as recreational drug use. But, you live and learn!

Dude, seriously...meth? That's some hardcore **** right there, WTF were you thinking?

I really wish I was trolling. I am heartbroken and demoralized over this, and the worst part is the awareness of WHY it happened. I sabotaged myself, purely and simply. I'm on a tight schedule and can't afford failures like this. Meth is a degenerate drug for sure. I didn't think it would be a major evil to try it once, but the destruction it caused thoroughly makes me a loser. I apologize to SDN for disgracing the cause of pre-medical studies.

Last edited:
Two things:

1. Of all the illicit drugs you could choose, meth is a horrible choice. Maybe the worst. I rather strongly recommend against doing it again.

2. I got a C- in orgo2. From failing a single test (it was the final, half the grade, and on three chapters only, i studied two wrong ones). I had a like B+/A- prior, so it's possible. I retook it (which you might need to do). This isn't a life ending problem... it's just a minor setback. I just got accepted to medical school. I also interviewed at Harvard this year (although I did get rejected =( ). Your orgo record will be better than mine. Upsetting, but not really something to worry about long time.

Don't be scared ^

Don't do drugs
NewMM-8.jpg

I really wish I was trolling. I am heartbroken and demoralized over this, and the worst part is the awareness of WHY it happened. I sabotaged myself, purely and simply. I'm on a tight schedule and can't afford failures like this. Meth is a degenerate drug for sure. I didn't think it would be a major evil to try it once, but the destruction it caused thoroughly makes me a loser. I apologize to SDN for disgracing the cause of pre-medical studies.

Well, it is hard to disgrace the cause of premedical studies. But damn, have some self respect, and take care of yourself. Jesus. Pull yourself together, and never, ever, do this sh#t again. You totally F#d up. You should be ashamed of yourself. Now, clean up, get some sleep, drink some good coffee, and get on with your life.

Good luck.

i don't understand...is that the person's TONGUE pushing the teeth? that is swollen as shiiiz

Meth? That's not meth, that's "Professor Cuyler's Liquid Miracle Clarification Get Thin and Steal Stereo Equipment Stay Up Late and Lose Your Teeth Juice Tonic!"

Meth is like food for the brain!*

*Clarification: In this sentence, "food" means very deadly poison that will mentally and physically debilitate you. The more you know!

I don't care what kind of crap you're going through during an exam, unless some one dies you finish it - unless you just want to look at it, turn it in and drop the class right after.

If you weren't even going to get halfway through, you would have been better off doing meth instead of studying before the test and not even going to it in the first place.

Good luck with fixing your grade, though.

It could be worse, dude. You could have gotten a parking ticket.

SDN Life Lessons: Don't be a quitter.... just yet.

try meth once, mess up an exam, screw up your grade for a class = everyone thinks you're an idiot

do a whole bunch of meth, mess up a few years of school, quit, show an upward gpa trend = everyone is super congratulatory/proud of you and you have some awe inspiring overcoming addiction/adversity story to blather about in your PS

SDN Life Lessons: Don't be a quitter.... just yet.

try meth once, mess up an exam, screw up your grade for a class = everyone thinks you're an idiot

do a whole bunch of meth, mess up a few years of school, quit, show an upward gpa trend = everyone is super congratulatory/proud of you and you have some awe inspiring overcoming addiction/adversity story to blather about in your PS

:laugh: Or you could take that route...

Unfortunately you would also end up looking like everyone in the pictures you just saw, fry your nervous system, and knock a good chunk of years off of your life (if you weren't already dead prior to the cycle you planned on applying.)

I f-ed up Ochem and retook it, got an A+ the second time around.

It can be done.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Edit: Don't be a complete ***** by trying to work your meth experiment into your PS as a way to show how you've matured.

It really is not that BAD. You can do a withdrawal on this course (with a petition explaining your METH experience :thumbdown:) and I'm sure that the university will make an exception. As far as METH is concerned, please for god's sake-stay away. Unless you want no hope of ever matriculating to medical school.

Is your overall gpa good? Is your overall science gpa good?

1) I can't believe I am in a fight to gain admission with people who have moral issues to get into med school

Let me disspell whatever rumors you've heard about squeaky clean admits with no moral issues. They exist, but they're not as prevalent as you might think.

1) I can't believe I am in a fight to gain admission with people who have moral issues to get into med school.

2) What is up with all the sores on their skin?

1)I can't believe I am in a "fight" to gain admission with people who DRINK.

2) Its from an obsessive picking behavior.

This.

And why would you try meth?

The pressure to try meth at certain gay clubs is really, really high.

That, and it's something a lot of people think they should try once in their life. Not most, but a lot ;p

The pressure to try meth at certain gay clubs is really, really high.

That, and it's something a lot of people think they should try once in their life. Not most, but a lot ;p

I really hope that was sarcastic because the last time I checked, I don't think a lot of people think meth is something they should try once in their life. Honestly, I don't understand how people want to be doctor's and yet find nothing wrong with smoking, drinking up a storm and umm...i guess i should add trying illicit drugs like meth to that list, though i'm sure many aspiring doctor's will find that wrong verusus the former two things. In any case, to the original poster...I really question you as a person for 1. finding some strange drug in your brother's room and actually WANTING to try it and 2. Desiring to be a doctor. Somehow, those two things just don't make sense together. I don't want to pass complete judgement on you since the only thing I know about you is this meth incident and I always believe in giving people a chance to change my first negative impressions but just the fact that your bother has meth lying around in his room....i dunno, this whole picture is not looking to good.

Drugs are illicit because of laws. Drugs that were once illegal are now legal, and of course vice versa. See: Prohibition, medical marijuana, cocaine in Coca Cola, etc. I myself won't do illegal drugs because I have no design or desire to, but I on the same token don't condemn other people for doing drugs.

The first step toward rehabilitation is acceptance and understanding, not condemnation.

so you tried a hard drug, for the first time, merely days before your ORGO FINAL?!

obvi, your decision-making skills need a little work...

that and like many others, i find it ironic that a person who is considering a health profession is trying hard drugs. and if ad-coms ever found out, so would they.

i think you should take a step back to fully grasp the idiocy of that move, and vow to think twice about the timing and implications of your decisions before making them. don't try anything weird that you've never done before, at all, before finals week. ever. you don't want to jeopardize your performance on your finals.

secondly, 1 C will not stop you from getting into med school, provided that your other grades and MCAT are pretty strong. I got a C in gen chem 1 and A's and B's in everything else in college, still got 4 interviews, and while I was asked about the C (since it was my only bad grade it stuck out like a sore thumb), nobody rejected me for it. To my shock, I was wait-listed at one school because of it, but it could have also been because I submitted my applications a bit late in the cycle. don't aim for the top 20s and it shouldn't matter for the most part.

In the future, try to kill your finals, instead of your health.

of all drugs.... meth? That's like the worst of them. That's basically saying kick me out of life. Don't ever try meth again if you can help it. From what I have gathered, people get hooked their first try because it stimulates the brain sooo much more than even making love. Go to the counselor to seek help because you really need it from taking meth again.

Well, I talked to my instructor today, and he's going to allow me to finish the exam next week. I don't necessarily think that's fair, but I would be dumb not to take advantage of it. Lesson learned I guess.

Also, okay, trying meth is not the end of the world, it's a stimulant, tons of people do ADD meds and they are chemically no different than meth. Now you realize how bad the crash can suck.

Agreed. i would even reconsider retaking a 'C' if my app was otherwise stealer. def don't do the meth again. C's get degrees, even med school degrees. Meth gets bad teeth and prison time.

Great line! OP, it's great that you were honest. Now seek help. You're not an addict, but you've got real issues if you thought trying meth was okay. Work them out now, long before you apply to med school and deal with REAL stress.

Also, okay, trying meth is not the end of the world, it's a stimulant, tons of people do ADD meds and they are chemically no different than meth. Now you realize how bad the crash can suck.

Sure, it's just like using some hydrocodone cough syrup to get to sleep and shooting heroin :rolleyes:.