NYMC Closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkinPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
See below, from the ACGME website. I wonder why Dermatology is not listed...

Request from New York Medical College (NYMC)

The potential closure of St. Vincent’s Hospital in New York City has resulted in the need for the Sponsoring Institution, New York Medical College, to voluntarily withdraw all of its accredited programs, effective June 30, 2010. Richard McCarrick, MD, the Designated Institutional Official (DIO), St. Vincent’s Hospital Administration, and the NYMC/St. Vincent’s program directors (PDs), have determined that the programs will not be able to provide all residents/fellows with an adequate educational experience beyond June 30. They have requested that the ACGME facilitate transfer of NYMC/St. Vincent’s residents/fellows to institutions/programs that can provide adequate educational experience in the following specialties and subspecialties:

Anesthesiology

Nuclear Medicine

Pain Medicine
Diagnostic Radiology
General Surgery
Internal Medicine
Cardiovascular Disease
Critical Care Medicine
Gastroenterology
Geriatric Medicine
Hematology/Oncology
Infectious Disease
Interventional Cardiology
Pulmonary Disease/Critical Care Medicine
Obstetrics-Gynecology
Ophthalmology
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Psychiatry
Geriatric Psychiatry
Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
Forensic Psychiatry
Sleep Medicine
Orthopedic Surgery
Transitional Year

Members don't see this ad.

This hurts 3 categories of people:

1) People in specialties who were going to start their PGY-2 in July 2010 at NYMC/St. Vincent's (Anesthesiology, Diagnostic Radiology, Ophthalmology, etc.)

2) Those who already were in their program at NYMC/St. Vincent's.

3) Those who matched this year to start their PGY-1 in July 2010 at NYMC/St. Vincent's (Yes, they participated in the ERAS match this year).

What a nightmare for all those involved!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the details about where the residents in Dermatology at NYMC train, but maybe they didn't go to St. Vincent, or if they did they still have enough other options that the program can stay put. I know at least here we have 2 affiliated hospitals where there are no dermatology residents (including one very large hospital that has no dermatologist whatsoever).
The sheer number of people affected by this is astounding though...frightening.

Cirrus83 is correct, the NYMC Dermatology Program is NOT with St. Vincent's Hospital and thus not affected. If you check here: https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/display8.cfm?NAV_ROW=PAR&SPEC_CD=080, the official name of the program is New York Medical College.

The specific programs where in the name it says New York Medical College/NYMC and St Vincent's Hospital together would be affected.

I think derm trains at metropolitan hospital