St Christopher's (Luton, UK) Grad Practicing in Michigan???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a graduate from St Christopher's College of Medicine (Luton, UK) practice medicine in Michigan. I just heard that after many attempts at the match, one grad matched in Michigan. The school was investigated by the GMC in the UK and was deemed unacceptable for registration/accreditation, but can a grad from that school do residency in the States? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

How interesting! My mother asked me to look into this school for her work colleague's daughter, and I advised totally against at the time. The girl is now a DO student. But, I did find that there was a Family Medicine resident listed on the UIC website that was a graduate of this institution (from Senegal?)

How interesting! My mother asked me to look into this school for her work colleague's daughter, and I advised totally against at the time. The girl is now a DO student. But, I did find that there was a Family Medicine resident listed on the UIC website that was a graduate of this institution (from Senegal?)

So, I assume they could practice in Illinois then... Thanks.

The institution is in Luton, UK. How does Senegal come into the picture?

Really, the school is run from Senegal with an office in Luton, UK. It was (and maybe still is) advertised as a way to get an MD and study in England -- without setting foot in Africa (Senegal). However, they are unaccredited and the GMC (counterpart of the AAMC in the UK) specifically does NOT allow students from St. Christopher to practice in the UK or even take their exams. But, in the US, since each state controls this authority, I was checking to see which one's would permit St. Christopher's students to practice. I definitely know that California specifically bans it and the states that follow that list, as well as Texas.

If I recall correctly, the UK school was touted (only in name) as a branch campus of a larger school (that didn't exist) in Senegal. It was basically a Caribbean-type USIMG school for people who wanted to say they were going to England for their medical degree. The UK government got wind of this scam and shut it down, not before several graduates got out it seems. Those graduates were likely transfers from other Caribbean schools who failed the USMLE several times (or attended other crumbling schools) and needed "a school" to be their USMLE/ECFMG sponsor, and daringly scouted out their own clinical rotations in America anywhere they could find.

Similar to: http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...medicine-produces-profits-few-doctors/1069719

Go down to Dr Patel's story, where she used that school simply as a "front" to set up her own rotations.

Speaking of "Windsor": there are nearly 600 members of its Face Book group:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=2204764859

And one of the most recent comments is from a girl who has been accepted as a transfer to take her step 1 and do clinical rotations.
Looks like yet another failure from another school, using this school as a conduit for a USMLE scheduling permit.

On another note, the founder of that school in the news article seems floridly manic (or otherwise grandiosely delusional) to me.

These people are among the people attempting to take away your residency spot, and program directors seem all too clueless about it.

If I recall correctly, the UK school was touted (only in name) as a branch campus of a larger school (that didn't exist) in Senegal. It was basically a Caribbean-type USIMG school for people who wanted to say they were going to England for their medical degree. The UK government got wind of this scam and shut it down, not before several graduates got out it seems. Those graduates were likely transfers from other Caribbean schools who failed the USMLE several times (or attended other crumbling schools) and needed "a school" to be their USMLE/ECFMG sponsor, and daringly scouted out their own clinical rotations in America anywhere they could find.

Similar to: http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...medicine-produces-profits-few-doctors/1069719

Go down to Dr Patel's story, where she used that school simply as a "front" to set up her own rotations.

Speaking of "Windsor": there are nearly 600 members of its Face Book group:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=2204764859

And one of the most recent comments is from a girl who has been accepted as a transfer to take her step 1 and do clinical rotations.
Looks like yet another failure from another school, using this school as a conduit for a USMLE scheduling permit.

On another note, the founder of that school in the news article seems floridly manic (or otherwise grandiosely delusional) to me.

These people are among the people attempting to take away your residency spot, and program directors seem all too clueless about it.

Is there is a list of residencies that have accepted graduates from St. Chirstophers? It appears that the school is still in operation, which their website claims (www.stchris.edu), but I haven't heard back from them on where they have residents (or core clinical rotations).

Is there is a list of residencies that have accepted graduates from St. Chirstophers? It appears that the school is still in operation, which their website claims (www.stchris.edu), but I haven't heard back from them on where they have residents (or core clinical rotations).

According to some google, apparently it is under NEW management, with the OLD name, as of 2009. I don't think that counts as continuous operation, and I think they might have changed the name slightly.

This is a "closed" forum for the old iteration of the school, and is closed because that version no longer exists -
http://www.valuemd.com/st-christophers-college-medicine/

This closed forum has the information that you are seeking, as well as the routes which old graduates used for licensure. From what I gather from a brief search, the old owner was some sort of scam artist, and it has been exquisitely difficult to get certain certificates from him because the old version no longer exists (or has pending litigation against it), but when graduates have succeeded at getting that information, state medical boards have let them get a license.

The new forum for the school is somewhere on that site.

According to some google, apparently it is under NEW management, with the OLD name, as of 2009. I don't think that counts as continuous operation, and I think they might have changed the name slightly.

This is a "closed" forum for the old iteration of the school, and is closed because that version no longer exists -

This closed forum has the information that you are seeking, as well as the routes which old graduates used for licensure. From what I gather from a brief search, the old owner was some sort of scam artist, and it has been exquisitely difficult to get certain certificates from him because the old version no longer exists (or has pending litigation against it), but when graduates have succeeded at getting that information, state medical boards have let them get a license.

The new forum for the school is somewhere on that site.

Thanks, here's the new forum link:

Not much going on there. Looks like New York state also banned these guys. So, I still don't know about Michigan -- aside from directly contacting them.

I found the grad from St. Christopher who went to UIC.

Ambica Soni, MD

There is also this St. Christopher grad at Mount Carmel Internal Medicine residency in Ohio (go to http://www.mountcarmelhealth.com/medical-education/internal-medicine/current-residents-3.html and click First Year Residents).

Pooja Raghavan, M.D.
MD: St. Christopher’s
BA: Vanderbilt University, Creative Writing
Special Interest: Endocrinology
Outside Interests: Fiction, working out, movies, traveling

Looks like Mount Carmel love St. Christopher's (maybe even offering rotations for them):

Jenny Varughese, M.D.
MD and BS: St. Christopher's College of Medicine, 2004
Special Interest:
Outside Interests: Spending time with family and friends, travel
Quote: "For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need" (Philippians 4:13).

(go to http://wwwdev.mchs.com/medical-education/internal-medicine/current-residents.html under third year).

I know the school is BS, but didn't know they offer BS degrees too...

Then, there's St. John's Mercy Medical Center in Missouri:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]John Griffin, M.D. .[FONT=arial, helvetica]-- St. Christopher

and Wright State U Boonshoft School of Medicine COMBINED Internal Medicine / PEDS residency too:

.Jody Meredith, M.D.

Jody comes to us from the rolling hills of Mount Hope, West Virginia. She received her undergraduate degree in biology from the University of Kentucky and obtained her M.D. from St. Christopher's College of Medicine. She was a member of Gamma Beta Phi honor society during her undergraduate years. Jody also has been a paralegal and held the envious job as a manager at TCBY. She says internal medicine/pediatrics at Wright State attracted her because of the friendliness of the program and the opportunity to work in both civilian and military settings. She selected Med-Peds so that she could have "the best of both worlds" and is considering pursuing a fellowship in cardiology. In her free time, Jody enjoys sewing and baking, and is an avid participant in basketball and tennis. Her sweet disposition and Southern accent charm the patients and her coworkers.

Wow, this is getting really scary....

LSU Internal Medicine program

Ben Barker, MD
St. Christopher's College of Medicine, Luton, England
Undergraduate: Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
2010: Rheumatology at LSUHSC, New Orleans, LA

MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute of Ohio
2008-2009 PM&R Fellows/Residents

Hany Helmi, MD
PGY-IV
St. Christopher's College of Medicine

Georgia - Memorial University Medical Center (IM Residency)

Michael Moss, M.D.
St. Christopher’s College of Medicine

East Jefferson General Hospital (Family Medicine) (Louisiana):

Carlos Perez, M.D.
St. Christopher’s College of Medicine, Senegal

Medical College of Wisconsin Racine Family Medicine Residency

Adrian Pinzon , MD

Adrian Pinzon is originally from El Paso, Texas. He attended Texas A&M University for undergraduate studies, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in Biomedical Sciences. He received his Medical Degree from St. Christopher's College of Medicine and did all of his clinical training in Houma, Louisiana. His professional interests include Endocrinology and Management of Diabetes in Family Medicine with a strong interest in Sports Medicine. His outside interests include snowboarding, skiing, wakeboarding, mountain biking, and information technology

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]University of Connecticut Health Center / St. Francis Family Medicine:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Amber S. Cheema, M.D. .Co-Chief Resident[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi! It is with great enthusiasm that I write this as this is one of the most exciting times in my life. Born in Houston TX to parents of Pakistani decent I have lived in many different parts of the US. It was in NJ however where I spent my middle school years and onwards. I completed my undergraduate education at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ. After graduating in 2002 I decided to go abroad for medical school to the Aga Khan Medical University in Pakistan. This was truly an amazing opportunity for me as it not only allowed me to experience the culture there, but also to compare the health care needs and system of a developing country to that of my own. .
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I decided to transfer to St. Christopher’s College of Medicine, based in Luton, England for the clinical portion of medical school so I could gain US experience and be close to my family..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have been married for a little over a year and a half now and both my husband and I look forward to joining the community in the Hartford area. He is a vascular surgeon, who will be a part of the Surgical Group with Hartford Hospital. After completing my rotations in 2006 I am now excited to start not only my professional life, but also my family life in the Hartford area!.

Maine DARMOUTH Family Med:
Ela Piekarz

St. Christopher’s College of Medicine, Senegal

Ela was born in Poland and attended college at the State University of New York, Stony Brook where she studied Biochemistry. While in New York, Ela also became an EMT and worked as a counselor for people with mental illnesses. She then worked in research and development for Estee Lauder prior to attending medical school in Uganda, Senegal, and England. As a medical student, Ela volunteered with the British Red Cross and also as a hospital patient advocate. She came to Maine-Dartmouth in 2005. Outside of medicine, she enjoys traveling, art history, skiing, and horseback riding.

Saint Joseph Mercy Health System Michigan Family Med:

Dr. Ashraf Hassan
Ashraf is a native of Northwest Indiana and Okemos, Michigan. He completed a degree in Chemistry from Indiana University, Bloomington, and a Medical Degree from St. Christopher's College of Medicine. On his off time, he enjoys reading, jogging, and spending time with family. He has a strong interest in practicing medicine for the underserved and specializing in geriatrics.

Alabama - Regional Medical Center Anniston Family Practice:

Chad R. Black, M.D., Third Year Resident
Dr. Black grew up in West Chester, Pennsylvania. He received his BA in Industrial Relations from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and his Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Life University in Marietta, Georgia. Dr. Black graduated with Cum Laude Honors from St. Christopher's College of Medicine in Senegal. In his spare time, Dr. Black likes to watch football games and movies, and he enjoys running, weight lifting and traveling.

U of Cincinnati - Neurology:

Ashish Masih, MD
Medical School: St. Christopher's College of Medicine, Senegal

BROWN UNIVERSITY - Rhode Island - Intenal Medicine:

Matthew Griffin, MD

It's not just residencies, here are some of the faculty/staff listings:

U of Maryland Department of Psychiatry

ANNA BASKINA, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry; Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
SPECIAL INTERESTS: Emergency Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Parent Management Training
Medical Degree: St. Christopher's College of Medicine
Residency: University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt & Johns Hopkins Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Program
Certification: Board Eligible for Psychiatry
410-328-6794 / appointments
410-328-1219 / academic office

Advanced Neurology Clinic

Dr. Troy Beaucoudray, M.D.

MEDICAL EDUCATION
St. Christopher’s College of Medicine
Cambridge, England
2001 – 2002
University of Health Sciences Antigua
School of Medicine
Antigua, West Indies
1999 – 2001

[THIS IS SUSPICIOUS, transfer from Carib school to St. Christopher]]

RESIDENCY TRAINING
Chief Resident
Tulane University School of Medicine
Department of Neurology
New Orleans, Louisiana
2006 – 2007
Department of Neurology
New Orleans, Louisiana
2004 – 2007
Department of Community Medicine – Transitional Program
New Orleans, Louisiana
2003 – 2004

Boston U Medical Information Systems Unit

Stephen Fitzmeyer, M.D.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/misu/files/2009/02/fitzmeyer.pngNRSA Research Fellow

Undergraduate School: Harvard University Extension School
Medical School: St. Christopher’s College of Medicine, Luton, England
Fellowship: Boston University Medical Center (2008 – current)
Office: 560 Harrison Ave.

New Jersey Medical School UMDNJ Medicine (Gastroenterology/Hepatology)

Maliha Ahmad M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine

Background:
Medical Specialty: Transplant Hepatology (Internal Medicine)
Internal Medicine
Medical Interests: Transplant Hepatology, HCV and HBV Treatment, Autoimmune Hepatilis, Non-Alcoholic Liver Disease. M.D. Degree: St. Christopher's College of Medicine - 2004
Dakar Senegal
Residency: Internal Medicine, 2004 - 2007
Mount Sinai School of Medicine - Jersey City Medical Center
New York NY USA
Fellowship: Transplant Hepatology
UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School
Newark NJ USA
Board Certification: Transplant Hepatology (Internal Medicine) - Eligible
Internal Medicine - American Board of Internal Medicine, 2007

Erik McLaughlin MD MPH

St. Christopher's College of Medicine (grad 2005) England/Dakar

• 3rd and 4th year rotations in Louisiana

New Jersey - Edison Emergi Med

Jeffrey R. Pappert, M.D.

Dr. Pappert completed his undergraduate schooling at University of Maryland receiving a B.S. in Business and Management. He obtained his M.D. from St. Christopher's College of Medicine and performed his residency at Jersey City Medical Center. Dr. Pappert is a Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine, and a member of the American Medical Association and American College of Physicians.

BOARD CERTIFIED
Internal Medicine

ATTENDING PHYSICIAN
JFK Medical Center, Edison NJ

EDUCATION
St. Christopher's College of Medicine, South Africa
Unversidad Iberoamericanan School of Medicine, Dominican Republic
University of Maryland, College Park, MD

We need more transparency in government. Look at this transcript from the Licensure Committee Meeting of Texas State Medical Board:

Applicant #MB-19 appeared next to discuss his medical education. Applicant #MB-19 was a student at Kigezi International School of Medicine from April 1997 to May 2000. Applicant #MB-19 then transferred to St. Christopher's College of Medicine, Senegal from which he graduated in June 2001. Although Kigezi International School of Medicine is chartered in and has it's main campus in Uganda, Applicant #MB-19 completed all of his coursework for Kigezi in Cambridge, England. The Kigezi website indicates that the school's academic dean offices in Great Britain. Applicant #MB-19 states that he transferred from Kigezi to St. Christopher's College of Medicine due to unrest in Uganda. The Kigezi website indicates that students are required to complete a minimum of 12 weeks of clinical training at Kabale Hospital in Uganda. After transferring to St. Christopher's Applicant #MB-19 did not complete any coursework in Senegal, where St. Christopher's maintains its charter. Instead he completed one course in Cambridge, England and the rest in hospitals located in Maryland, New York, Connecticut and Louisiana. Staff presented information that Applicant #MB-19's education did not constitute a centrally organized and monitored program as required by Board rule. In addition, staffed received information provided by American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. The AACRAO report submitted indicated that the education Applicant #MB-19 received from Kegezi International School of Medicine and St. Christopher's College of Medicine was not comparable to that of an accredited United States college or university. Applicant #MB-19 indicated that both of this schools could be found in the listing of medical schools by the World Health Organization. The Committee advised Applicant #MB-19 that this was only a list of institutions and not an accrediting body. Ms. Seliger moved to recommend to the full Board that Applicant #MB-19 be denied a Basic Post-Graduate Resident Permit. Dr. Tornelli-Mitchell seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion. Motion passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.