Seriously Considering Switching to Anesthesiology from Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm155

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I matched into categorical Derm into a program that I dislike and to make matters worse I have to move my kids and husband. My husband has to get a new job in the city. The move is very expensive. I am thinking of switching to Anesthesiology in my home city. How do I go about doing this? Please help.:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Call the u-haul people and help your kids say goodbye to their old friends and to get ready to meet new ones. Let your husband know how much he is going to enjoy the new job and the new life you will have in a few years. Kids can stay in touch with old friends by facebook and your husband can mow grass for a living if needed. Take out a loan for the expensive move. Start gassin' up the truck. Regret will haunt you for years if you give this up before even starting. You are obviously a strong student. You have come a long way. Finish the race. I enjoy my specialty, but I suspect you have not fully thought this through. You may not even like anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spot on, Gern.

Derm, what makes you think anesthesiology will make you happy? Your husband and kids will enjoy your company much more if you are doing what you love in a different city than doing something you hate in their hometown.

What did you tell the derm interviewers when they asked you why you picked the field of derm? Did that answer change based on matching to a city you didn't expect to match to? I know it sucks to match further down on your list than you expected...for somebody smart and ambitious enough to make it into derm, I'm guessing it's probably the first time in your life that you've ever been knocked down a peg or two by something like this. Don't worry, that sh itty feeling in the pit of your stomach will subside over time.

Edit: FYI, the lifestyle in anesthesiology is NOTHING like dermatology. Not even close. Not in residency or in PP.

I work in a lucrative private practice..for now. I work about 70 hours a week, which includes 24 hrs on call. During that time, I wear running sneakers and pretty much run throughout the hospital, often managing multiple complex issues at a time....Unlike academic attendings, you will work in private practice anesthesia. Of course, you could always take a 3day a week spot as well.

Compared to my friends in Derm, the lifestyle comparison is night and day. You can avoid insurance and uncle sam sticking it to you in payments as well. WHile I could never do derm as I have no interest, it has the closest to normal hours of any specialty out there I know. ....move the family....

Call the u-haul people and help your kids say goodbye to their old friends and to get ready to meet new ones. Let your husband know how much he is going to enjoy the new job and the new life you will have in a few years. Kids can stay in touch with old friends by facebook and your husband can mow grass for a living if needed. Take out a loan for the expensive move. Start gassin' up the truck. Regret will haunt you for years if you give this up before even starting. You are obviously a strong student. You have come a long way. Finish the race. I enjoy my specialty, but I suspect you have not fully thought this through. You may not even like anesthesiology.

Love love this response. I second it completely. Very funny and on point.

I do like derm but I hate doing this to my family plus I don't like the school much. I never gave anesthesia a chance as I was determined to get into derm. I have tried since March 18 (match day) to get over this but I am not getting over it. I feel I have worked hard so much and deserve to be happy.

I do like derm but I hate doing this to my family plus I don't like the school much. I never gave anesthesia a chance as I was determined to get into derm. I have tried since March 18 (match day) to get over this but I am not getting over it. I feel I have worked hard so much and deserve to be happy.

For what it's worth, I agree with the others. While not for me, you've obviously chosen Derm for your own reasons. They may be diverse as all such decisions are.

But, what's 4 years?? I would have gone to Anchorage (if they had a program) if that's what it took and came down to in my own chosen specialty.

I understand your family situation, but kids are quite flexible/adaptable, and you just need to have a conversation with your husband about how this is an investment in ALL of your futures etc. etc. Come on. You can put up with 4 years in a less than ideal location.........

Good luck. Now go do the right thing (ever listen to "Dr. Laura":laugh:)

I do like derm but I hate doing this to my family plus I don't like the school much. I never gave anesthesia a chance as I was determined to get into derm. I have tried since March 18 (match day) to get over this but I am not getting over it.I feel I have worked hard so much and deserve to be happy.

Everyone deserves to be happy, but you've given yourself less than 10 days to adjust to the idea of doing your #1 choice specialty in your <#1 choice city. It will take longer than 10 days to come to terms with getting your life seemingly turned upside-down, but it will happen, trust me.

You admit you never gave anesthesiology a chance, so what makes you think it'll be a good fit for you now? You've given us no clue that you've thought more than passingly about the specialty before Match Day. All the above advice still stands until you can convince yourself and us that you would be going into anesthesiolgy for reasons other than not wanting to move your family.

To be honest, nobody on this board (nor any anesthesiology program director) would want to work with someone like you until you find a better reason to switch to anesthesiology than "I don't like the school/city where I matched into dermatology".

To be honest, nobody on this board (nor any anesthesiology program director) would want to work with someone like you until you find a better reason to switch to anesthesiology than "I don't like the school/city where I matched into dermatology".

:thumbup: I agree completely. Have you even done a month of anesthesiology or are you basing your decision on the speculation of "lifestyle" (which is definitely not what you think it is, especially coming from derm)? Do what you are interested in, I mean we're talking 3-4 years of residency vs the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Think about it... it's a no brainer. MOVE

(that being said, if you truly enjoy anesthesiology and you were debating between the two fields, that's a different story. however, it isn't what this sounds like)

nobody on this board (nor any anesthesiology program director) would want to work with someone like you until you find a better reason to switch to anesthesiology than "I don't like the school/city where I matched into dermatology".

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I think I saw that on an interview do's and don't list, as in what not to say when asked why you are chosing this specialty.

I'll keep the vote unanimous; stick with zits and botox.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay in derm. That's what you like. Your husband can get a new job, stay home, or live apart for 4 yrs. Your kids will adapt pretty soon.

This will be your career for 30-40 yrs. Don't flush it down on a whim.

1. how do you know you will like anesthesia?
2. derm = no nights and weekends. can do cash only after finishing. phenomenal family lifestyle during residency and beyond.

I matched into categorical Derm into a program that I dislike and to make matters worse I have to move my kids and husband. My husband has to get a new job in the city.

These answers are spot on.
I'm adding this: Your husband will have to get a new job, in a new city. Is your husband's current job one that thousands of people lusted after, with IQs of 120 or higher, who worked their asses off in the most competitive schools to gain the top ranked positions, who paid $X00,000s of dollars, does HIS job fall into this category? OR is he afraid of the change? I'm sure he's been very supportive throughout med school. Now you're asking him to buck-up for another four years. But that's what being married to a doctor is. That's why the divorce rate for doctors is higher than the general public.

Your lifestyle finishing residency, derm vs anes, will be hugely different, as well as the potential earnings. And work environment and interactions with colleagues, as well. As a Dermatologist, you can be your own boss. You will be top dog. As an Anesthesiologist, you won't be the rock star of the OR, and will be treated that way. You're used to be recognized for being the best - that's how you got into derm.

You're a re-**** (say it like The Hangover) if you don't stay in derm

I'm not even remotely associated with anesthesia but I saw your post and I had to comment.

If you give up derm for an anesthesia position given that you have not even had a lot of exposure in the latter, you are truly erroneous and borderline loony.

Think of the future and quit looking for immediate routes of happiness. Geez. If you can't see that far ahead, switch and we'll see how regretful you are in a few years.

You don't make sense.

The OP said in another post that they ranked 16 programs, and matched at #8.

If you don't want to go somewhere, don't rank it.

Who says only smart people get into derm? :rolleyes:

Alright, so you matched in the field you wanted, but not the location. Now, location has trumped field, so you're looking for another lifestyle field in a more suitable location. That sound about right? I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from, but honestly I'd talk this over with your family for a while before making a decision. Give it a week (if timewise you can), then make a decision.

I love anesthesiology and know it's the field for me, but I absolutely couldn't make a career out of derm. It's just mind-numbingly boring for me. They really are completely different, opposite fields in SO many ways. Why do you want to go into anesthesiology as opposed to other lifestyle friendly (rads, rad onc, ENT, urology, path) fields in more suitable locations ?

The OP said in another post that they ranked 16 programs, and matched at #8.

If you don't want to go somewhere, don't rank it.

Who says only smart people get into derm? :rolleyes:

The OP is the last person I want to feel sorry for.

It's sorta like... oh man, I won the lottery, but they're going to tax me 50% of my earnings.

Get over it. You matched derm. It's a difficult field to get into for the financial reasons. Suck it up and hike to the new place for the next 5 years then come back to live whereever you come from.

Done. If your family can't understand the gravity of the situation (matching into derm), then tough.

I understand everyone's frustration with my situation. I apologize if it seems I am ungrateful. I am happy and grateful that I matched into derm but the family issue plus not liking the school makes the situation worse. I feel with anesthesia you are considered a real doctor but with derm people think we dont do much in medicine, which isn't true. I feel I may have picked the wrong field. I feel hurt and confused. Thank you all for your responses.

Hi

I matched into categorical Derm into a program that I dislike and to make matters worse I have to move my kids and husband. My husband has to get a new job in the city. The move is very expensive. I am thinking of switching to Anesthesiology in my home city. How do I go about doing this? Please help.:scared:

It's too early to post such news.
Wait 5 more days :)))))

I understand everyone's frustration with my situation. I apologize if it seems I am ungrateful. I am happy and grateful that I matched into derm but the family issue plus not liking the school makes the situation worse. I feel with anesthesia you are considered a real doctor but with derm people think we dont do much in medicine, which isn't true. I feel I may have picked the wrong field. I feel hurt and confused. Thank you all for your responses.

Derm155, how about letting me pretend I'm you? I'll get a sex-change and everything. I'll even give you half of my net income when I'm in PP doing botox and laser and restylane. Now THAT is a steal! You'll never have to work another day in your life!

But in all seriousness, I think you need to consider this in terms of your career. Your family will be there for you no matter what(or at least they should be, otherwise you're wasting your time with them and need to get a divorce). You will be a dermatologist, which is the MOST HIGHLY COVETED OF ALL MEDICAL PROFESSIONS! Your husband and kids will understand. If not, they are being unreasonable. You sacrificed a lot for it.

Now, I'd say take the residency spot, and kick it out for a year or two. Try it on and see how you like it. Do this because a derm spot has LEVERAGE - it has the MOST leverage out of all residency spots, which means that you could EASILY switch out of it if you wanted to and get into ANYTHING ELSE basically ANYWHERE else. Even try to switch to another derm program after your first year if its possible! If you transfer to anesthesia and realize it was the wrong choice, trying to switch back to derm will be IMPOSSIBLE because anesthesia has less LEVERAGE.

Do the wise thing and stick with derm.

I feel with anesthesia you are considered a real doctor but with derm people think we dont do much in medicine, which isn't true.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You DEFINITELY don't know enough about anesthesia if you think you'll be treated more like a "real doctor" as an anesthesiologist. I'm not trying to belittle the seriousness of your conundrum, but you have definitely not demonstrated that you've done your due diligence with anesthesiology yet.

How old are your children? How supportive is your husband being about this match situation?

So you don't want to do derm because you're not considered to be a real doctor... that's your best excuse?

Why don't you read up on the anesthesia boards and see if the surgeons consider them to be real doctors. Or read up on the ER boards and see how people call us triage nurses with MDs next to our names.

Basically, the grass is always greener.. yada yada.

Stop being concerned about what people think about your specialty. EVERYONE rips on everyone. Ortho docs are boneheads, neuro don't do anything, psych are crazy people, medicine lecture and pontificate but never get anything done, ER docs triage, anesthesia function like techs, derm only look at skin, radio like to stay in caves.

I mean come on. You're an adult.... start acting like one.

Suck it up and stick with your initial instincts of going into derm. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Geez.

I have elementary age children and my husband is supportive but I feel like I am punishing my family for the next 4 years plus at a program that I dont like.

I have elementary age children and my husband is supportive but I feel like I am punishing my family for the next 4 years plus at a program that I dont like.

OK. Then just follow the same path that I've seen soooo many successful women follow: Put your family's perceived needs before yours, and do what you THINK they want. It's easier than trying to figure out what YOU really want, and what THEY really want.
Then in 10, 20, 30 years let the frustration, anger, resentment build up. Your kids won't always do what you want, even thought you made this HUGE sacrifice. Your husband won't be the perfect husband, even though you've made tons of sacrifices for him.
ASK THEM and talk to them, and figure out what YOU want, too.

...anesthesia has less LEVERAGE...
Ha, ha, ha...

Don't listen to Substance, Derm155, he has no idea of what he is saying. Anesthesia has less leverage? Ha, ha, ha... If he knew anything about anesthesia, he would have said, "Anesthesia has NO leverage."

Now, if after knowing all of this, you still want to change, go ahead and change, but I feel like we have to put you in touch with a suicide hotline.

Getting a little more serious, for your reactions to matching in that program and your concerns for your family, I gather that you must be an older graduate and your family is more established than others. If that is the case, really put a lot of thought into the change you are proposing, because the residency routine in anesthesia is not for the older person. You are going to hate it and your family is going to hate it even more. And after residency, if you don't get one of those nice, exclusive, posh jobs that are so difficult to find and everybody covets, your family is going to be even more unhappy.

By the way, anesthesia has no leverage not only in this situation, but later in life, when you are an attending, whether in private practice or any other setting, is exactly the same way.

In the final analysis, you are the one who will have to decide, and if you are going to be unhappy in dermatology, we don't want to be responsible for it. We are not in your skin, we are not in your brain, we are not in your family, we are not in your situation. It is just that, looking at it from the outside it is a no-brainer, especially looking at it from our viewpoint as anesthesiologists.

Look at it this way: you are trying to condemn your family to a four year grueling residency where they will not see their mom or wife, that every time she comes home she is too tired for them, and that will be even worse after residency.

What does your husband think about all this? Does he know what you are trying to do? Have him read this thread and some others in this forum, and then ask him for his opinion. Don't make this decision alone.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Hi

If Derm is your dream then you need to go for it. If it is not your dream to do Derm then it's better to change sooner rather than later.

Based no many factors including but not limited to the Hillarycare scare of the mid-1990's and wanting to move closer to family I chose a residency I wouldn't have otherwise considered. I made the best of it and have been relatively successful in primary care. However, over the years I continued to feel that I wasn't on the right path. Anesthesiology is a much better fit for me for many reasons and I wish I made the switch years ago.

I am in the process of moving across the country with the wife and kids to start residency part 2 this summer. I have a supportive spouse and the kids are still young enough to make the move without too much grief. I understand your concerns...new job for your spouse, new schools for the kids, moving expense, etc. These are all very important concerns but your family will be happier if you are happy.

If you ever read the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho he calls it fulfilling your "personal legend". (If you haven't read it, this would be a good time to read it...it's a quick read).

I post this for 2 reasons

1) If Derm is your dream and you don't do it now, you may be moving years later anyway when you realize you were on the right path originally.

2) It's not too late to make a change later if you don't like what you are doing as long as you have the family support

Now, to answer your question. "How do I go about doing this?" Spend time with Anesthesiologists in your area and see if you really like it or not. If you find it is a better fit, then contact program directors including the one in your town to see what they have available. Some programs keep a few slots outside the match for people wanting to make a switch.

Good luck with your choice. Feel free to PM me if you need more feedback.

I sense some insincerity here. Who is been punished? Is it your family because they had to sacrifice for you and move or yourself because you are picky about your program? If you are so considerate for your husband and children, why did you spent the LAST four years doing medical school, spending nights on call and taking on tons of loans? If your children are elementary age now, weren't they toddlers when you started? Is your husband really as supportive as you say he is? If moving will put strains on your relationship, then by all means, break your contract and do something else. But I see a lot of "I worked hard," "I deserve ..." "I don't like..."

It ticks people off here to see someone thinking just because she has a high test score that she can back her way into an anesthesia spot. Your "seriously considering" switching to anesthesia consisted a whole TEN days of rationalization. And no, we aren't easily flattered by the "real doctor" comment. Go be a real doctor in FM or IM.

I feel with anesthesia you are considered a real doctor but with derm people think we dont do much in medicine, which isn't true. I feel I may have picked the wrong field.

You forgot about skin cancer.

3987819225_5940c19c55.jpg

you guys need to give her a break, if she wants to do anesthesiology and stay in the same location that she feels comfortable in, then why not?
Derm may be the most competitive field since our generation of lifestyle-craving med students came to school, but it isn't the paradise that many med students believe it is:
1) derm may have financial potential with cosmetics but it is extremely difficult to break into the cosmetic business these days as everyone and their mother is doing this; you can't be successful doing acne one day and then cosmetics another, it is a full-time business with a very expensive overhead
2) derm def has lifestyle, but most salary surveys across the country show derm makes a lot less than many other specialties on average; don't believe me, check this out, numbers don't lie: http://www.modernhealthcare.com/assets/pdf/CH50882721.PDF
3) you def won't get a lot of respect in terms of prestige with derm, you may see patients but unless you go into Mohs surgery (which got hit hard the last few years with 30% reduction from Medicare), i would think you would have about the same amount of prestige as anesthesiology (probably even less)

At least with Anesthesiology, you get to stay in the same location and can be trained to do procedures that keep pple alive during surgery.

Hello again,

About being a real doctor, remember that specialties evolved because there was a need, not because someone invented them. Therefore, every specialty is a good and respectable one, provided that:

1) you know your specialty well and continue learning more of it throughout your whole life,

2) you know your limitations,

3) you have a compassionate heart for your patients.

In any specialty you will be a real doctor and nobody will be able to criticize you if you fulfill these conditions.

Knowing the type of person that matches into derm, I have a theory on the OP:

she knew from the very beginning that she's going to go into derm. The residency she matched into is in some goofy-ass location, but she ultimately doesn't care, it's derm, and she's going to go there. BUT, this provides her with the perfect opportunity to feign to her husband that her relationship with him and her family is more important than her career. She is such a mench that she will sacrifice her career-aspirations for the comfort of her family and go into another specialty because she loves them so much.

So after telling her husband of her plans, some tears (from the sink) were wiped and she went onto her laptop and posted this thread. Knowing she'd get 50 people telling her what a lunatic she is for giving up derm, she'd demurely show her husband the collective scream. Said husband feels obligated to clearly give his support for her to go into derm. In fact, he DEMANDS it! "We must go. You've worked too hard. You must pursue derm!"

The OP now gets a) derm, and b) a husband who thinks she's more concerned about his happiness than she really is.

Well played OP. It takes a special type of Type-A pathology to get into derm, and you've proven you have the muster.

(she will totally divorce his ass if this plan backfires)

she knew from the very beginning that she's going to go into derm. The residency she matched into is in some goofy-ass location, but she ultimately doesn't care, it's derm, and she's going to go there. BUT, this provides her with the perfect opportunity to feign to her husband that her relationship with him and her family is more important than her career. She is such a mench that she will sacrifice her career-aspirations for the comfort of her family and go into another specialty because she loves them so much.

So after telling her husband of her plans, some tears (from the sink) were wiped and she went onto her laptop and posted this thread. Knowing she'd get 50 people telling her what a lunatic she is for giving up derm, she'd demurely show her husband the collective scream. Said husband feels obligated to clearly give his support for her to go into derm. In fact, he DEMANDS it! "We must go. You've worked too hard. You must pursue derm!"

The OP now gets a) derm, and b) a husband who thinks she's more concerned about his happiness than she really is.

Well played OP. It takes a special type of Type-A pathology to get into derm, and you've proven you have the muster.

:prof:

Well done

:prof:

Well done

Hear hear.... this is a load of bs. Call me jaded, but no one in their right mind would go through trying to match to derm and matching in it midway through her rank list, then decide it's not for her.

No one does that. I can understand if this was your last rank on your list, but it's number 8 of 16. You obviously knew what you were getting at.

I mean, I can call you selfish. That's right, you (OP) are VERY selfish.

You took a spot from a potential applicant who wanted to go there... someone probably had to scramble because of YOU.

I feel no pity for you.

I've found that you don't really know what a job (including residency) will be like until you jump in. This residency might be much better than you think. If, for instance, you're from the northeast and don't want to go to the midwest, then get over it. You ranked it, and Milwaukee or Indy or Louisville or Kansas City or Omaha may be alot better than you think. Again, have a good attitude and enjoy the next 4 years of residency. You will probably end up liking it alot more than you think. You just have a big case of buyer's remorse.

Hmmm...your theory intrigues me and i would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

My thoughts exactly after reading the OP postings outside this forum. Typical fine manipulations with a pretense of sacrifice.

Grow up, crybaby ;) And do not underestimate the others. Your gun may backfire :D

Last edited:
So, you don't like the program you matched into. Why did you put it on the rank list, then? Didn't you realize that any program you put on your rank list, you could wind up in? Especially in a uber competitive field like derm?

When you made your rank list, didn't you think about "would I rather not match or would I rather match at this program"?

You say your husband is supportive. What's the problem? Is he starting a job search now? If not, why not? Kids will adapt. In fact, I contend that it is good for kids to experience moving while young. It teaches them to be adaptable. My family moved 3 times while I was growing up. I turned out OK. I also learned that home is where I am, and where my family is- not one particular piece of real estate.

Many people have gone to cities they weren't thrilled with to programs they weren't thrilled with in order to train. And most of them do fine, then get a job somewhere they like better. Many of them find that it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be. And the truth of the matter is you really don't know much about it. You spend one day there.

I think you owe it to yourself, and to the program you match at, to at least go, show up with a good attitude, and do your best for a year. If, then, you find "I don't like dermatology" that's a valid reason for changing to any field. At that point you do some solid research into other fields.

As other posters have said, trying to switch now because you are unhappy with the match is not a good idea. And probably won't give you any results you are happy with.

Thank you all for your advice and concern. I am going to weigh the pro and cons of moving my family from this program. Another reason I don't like the program is it is not well recognized and I want to enter academics later. The other schools lower on my list were not as good either in my opinion.

derm155 you should just go to the program you matched into and then once you are into derm try to transfer to another derm program.

...I want to enter academics later. The other schools lower on my list were not as good either in my opinion...
Hello again,

If you have what it takes to get into academics, they will take you, no matter where you come from. Just start doing some research and publish some papers. Do a year of research anywhere, whether it is derm, path, or anything else: the important thing here will be to get used to the scientific method and learn the grant application bureaucracy. Once you master those things and have some papers published with your name on them, you will be marketable anywhere you want in academics.

Last edited:

:thumbup:

This is incredible.

Originally Posted by derm155
I matched at my #8 out of 16 ranks for derm but I am unhappy with the result due to having to move my family. The program is not well recognized but the residents seemed nice on the day of the interview. Not only do I not like the school or city I have to move my family and my husband has to get a new job.

I am considering switching specialities to possibly anesthesiology. What should I do? I feel horrible :(:(
Hi

:mad:

Dear Derm155,
You ought to be ashamed of yourself. It's females like you that give women a bad name.

Firstly, your feigned consideration of your husband (what a sucker) and your child only came after you decided that the program you had matched to was not reputable enough.

Secondly, you failed to include your husband in your deliberations on your rank list. Did you even care that he had any input as to whether he would be willing to follow you to every one of your 16 ranks?

Did you even care? When you look at him, do you see a real person with his own career, goals and with at least some feelings or just a prop to round out your idea of a fulfilled woman (whatever that nonsense is) and keep a ring on your finger?

Third, you further the insult by assuming that somehow you are entitled to a position in Anesthesiology which you have no experience in nor genuine interest in. I suppose you assume we should feel lucky to have someone as wonderful as you :rolleyes:. Besides the condescension, you also belittle the efforts of other Anesthesia applicants who are truly committed to this specialty and have worked hard their entire med school careers on grades, research etc in the hopes of obtaining a residency spot.

Fourth, you have deprived some other desperate and (more often than not) even better qualified derm applicant of a spot.

Fifth, you fail to understand that there are consequences for the decisions we make. You cannot opt out of a match spot just because you don't feel like going after all.
"The move is very expensive..." are you effing kidding me? What are you 10 years old? did you not think you would have to pay to move to a city YOU INTERVIEWED AT AND RANKED?

Shame on you and grow up.
I hope you don't show up for your job and you violate the terms of the match. Then try your hands at getting a job all over again and see where that gets you.

Go ahead, I dare you.

Last edited: