Poll on the AVERAGE of last 2 PRACTICE MCATs VS ACTUAL MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Poll on the AVERAGE of last 2 PRACTICE MCATs VS ACTUAL MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The reason why I'm not using the average of all the practice exams is because the final 2 practice exams are a much better proxy than the average of all of the practice exams. Each successive exam, in general, increases, on average, and this curve resembles a saturation/sigmoidal curve.

Also, if you could let me know which practice exams you used for the final 2 practice exams, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I got 42 on my last 2 practice exams before the big show, but ended up taking the real exam about 5 hours after having a spinal tap and being released from the hospital. Needless to say I wasn't feeling very well and probably shouldn't have shown up to the exam, but it was already late August. I ended up scoring a 29R. I plan on retaking it after I graduate in May. Hopefully I'll get better results.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got 42 on my last 2 practice exams before the big show, but ended up taking the real exam about 5 hours after having a spinal tap and being released from the hospital. Needless to say I wasn't feeling very well and probably shouldn't have shown up to the exam, but it was already late August. I ended up scoring a 29R. I plan on retaking it after I graduate in May. Hopefully I'll get better results.

This would have probably been one of the few reasons I would hit the "void" button. What were you thinking?

The reason why I'm not using the average of all the practice exams is because the final 2 practice exams are a much better proxy than the average of all of the practice exams. Each successive exam, in general, increases, on average, and this curve resembles a saturation/sigmoidal curve.

There is no general consensus for this. Think about the logistics of what you're asking. Sometimes people get tests that are catered to their strengths and they do better on that. Thus perhaps the last 2 practice tests did cater to their strengths and hence increased their scores. But on test day, the test focused on perhaps their weaknesses. Thus it's not a good accurate reflection due to the variable nature of the content that can appear on the real test. Also due to nature of test day itself. Many people might have that extra boost of adrenaline that will help them do better.. or perhaps the person will freak out on the test and do poorly. Who knows ?

Also, if you could let me know which practice exams you used for the final 2 practice exams, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I personally think you shouldn't focus too much on what the average consensus is. Everyone is different and by not means does someone else success correlate to yours as well. The best thing imo is to not focus on these matters and simply prepare the best that you can. Why stress yourself out even further .
Best of luck

My scores looked like a bell curve and I took 7 AAMC exams all during the last two weeks of studying. I think I was starting to get burned out and didn't care too much, especially on the last one I took, as my real score was higher than them anyway. The last two I took were 3 & 9.

Anyway, I think you're getting too obsessed looking at all these statistics. What do the trends matter? People generally score right around their AAMC average and that's what should be used for determining if you should take the test during the last couple of weeks. Before that though, you shouldn't even be taking AAMC tests or thinking about this. Spend your time studying and practicing questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, If I remember correctly, I took the exam on the 25 of August. I was at the point where I still needed the MCAT for my application and there were only a couple of test dates left and they were already full at all the testing locations within a days drive of where I live. I knew that I wasn't going to perform as well as I had been on the practice exams, but I assumed I would still score in the 30s, which would have been ok. Even when I left the test, I still thought I would score in the mid 30s. I had actually been signed up to take it earlier in the summer, but had to cancel last second because of family issues. Bottom line is that I had to take the test on this date no matter the circumstances if I wanted to apply that cycle. I would have rescheduled if it were earlier in the year. I wanted to apply so bad I would have taken the test no matter what health state I was in. If I hadn't been released from the hospital, I would have left AMA and returned after the exam. Anyway, things didn't turn out too bad. I still got interviews at four school and was waitlisted at three of them. I probably won't make it off the lists this year, but it gives me hope for the next application cycle. Now I just need to graduate and get back into MCAT form.

Hmmmm....I would think that this outlier is more the result of spurious data. Your information would be most appropriate if I were to do a poll comparing "healthy mindset scores" *VS* "un-healthy mindset scores".

In your opinion, do you think that we should include or exclude your data point, since your experience is outside the typical range of experiences of people here?

It would probably be best to exclude my data. I doubt many people have been in my situation. If this thread is still alive when I get my next scores back, I'll repost

It would probably be best to exclude my data. I doubt many people have been in my situation. If this thread is still alive when I get my next scores back, I'll repost

Hello,

I asked the moderators to remove your data point with detailed instructions to do so just now.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I asked the moderators to remove your data point with detailed instructions to do so just now.

Thanks a lot.

user14162_6.jpg

I got crushed on VR when I consistently put up 14s in practice. Wish I could see my test's answer key.

I got a 31 on the CBT 3, and then a 31 on the real thing 1 month later. Only practice test I took.

This means that the actual MCATs are 1 point higher than the practice exams.

I had to cull one data point out (the one where the deviation is +7).

Last two tests were TBR 9 (13-15,10,11-12 so lets call it a 37 for simplicity even though PS was closer to a 14) and AAMC #6 (15,11,15 so a 41). My real MCAT was a 33R (12,9,12) so thats 33-(37+41)/2 = -6. And people wonder why im upset about my score :p...

The average of my 7 AAMC MCAT exams was 27.9, and I actually made a 27. The average of my last two AAMC MCAT exams was a 27.5.

I truly want to retake the MCAT exam, but I just found out that they don't offer the MCATs in Oct., Nov., or December. Only in January end is the earliest that I can take it.

I'm totally convinced that I can make at least 2 points higher, since I had a bad day when I took it. I was tired, and I showed up slightly confused in an unfamiliar place.

Here is my sticky situation: I will apply to SGU and Ross and also American-based schools. If I get accepted to SGU/Ross for the January semester, I will somehow still take the MCAT in January end (I will fly to Miami or wherever). IF (big "If") I get accepted to an american based school, than I would have simply wasted a semester at SGU/Ross, and I don't mind that given that I got accepted to an American Based school

Last two tests were TBR 9 (13-15,10,11-12 so lets call it a 37 for simplicity even though PS was closer to a 14) and AAMC #6 (15,11,15 so a 41). My real MCAT was a 33R (12,9,12) so thats 33-(37+41)/2 = -6. And people wonder why im upset about my score :p...

First of all, your first exam score for TBR 9 was a 35.5, and not a 37. How do you figure that you made a 37?
Second of all, your deviation was actually a ~+3, since your average scores on the practice exams was 36.25. Your actual was 33, for a difference of +3.

If you scored within 1 point of the average of your last two exams, as well as your overall average, I'm not sure how you could possibly say you are confident you would be able to score 2 points higher. Based on your own poll, almost half of the people scored within 1 point of their last two exams. Regardless, you have many months to prepare for the January MCAT, but I would advise that you only to take it if you are scoring 30+ on all of the new FLs you take in January, not including any FL you have taken already.

BTW, if you spent less time analyzing pointless stats, perhaps you could have prepared better. Everyone is an individual, but you seem to have an obsession with these numbers. They really don't have any effect on your score.

Last edited:
if you spent as much time doing content review as you do performing intro to stats projects you'd stop worrying yourself as much. honestly

If you scored within 1 point of the average of your last two exams, as well as your overall average, I'm not sure how you could possibly say you are confident you would be able to score 2 points higher. Based on your own poll, almost half of the people scored within 1 point of their last two exams. Regardless, you have many months to prepare for the January MCAT, but I would advise that you only to take it if you are scoring 30+ on all of the new FLs you take in January, not including any FL you have taken already.

BTW, if you spent less time analyzing pointless stats, perhaps you could have prepared better. Everyone is an individual, but you seem to have an obsession with these numbers. They really don't have any effect on your score.

Hello,
You've made a good point. I'm 100% convinced that I'll score better this time, because I didn't feel in my elements when I took the MCAT on 07/29.

Also, the previous MCAT that I took was a 29 on AAMC #9. On one of the AAMC exams, I made a 31! I am doubtful that I could get a 31, but I'm sure that I can get a 28-29.

I am definitely interested in mentally preparing myself for the MCAT before I took it. I think that pre-knowledge and preparation was a good thing. I get the impression that there are some dishonest people who embellish their scores here. Moreover, I learned that standardized exams is an exercise in a normal distribution.

Do most of you guys experience a sigmoidal curve? Mine is pretty much a straight line consisting of 10 practice tests, starting from 18, ending with 31 and 34. This could either mean my real test will be higher than 34 (if you extrapolate based on questionable reliability of AAMC practice exams) or I could be F***ed since my scores are not consistently the same anywhere (and the 9/11/10 test was a bitch.) Anyone else get a straight line kinda curve and what did you get on the real test?

Herpa-derp... 36-40 on my last two, 35 on the real deal. I am very happy with the score generally, but, after tasting the 40, it's tough. I am pretty sure my test (9/6) was on the "easier" side, so that missing fewer took off more points; I was feeling GREAT about verbal and got a 12.

I took it twice. First time was 38 and 38 (AAMC tests), ended up with a 30 on the real thing. Second was 33, 34 (TBR tests) and got a 35.

Average AAMC was 35, and I definitely had test anxiety the first time around.

Got a 37 on AAMC 10 and a 39 on AAMC 11 (average = 38). Ended up with a 39 on the real thing.

My last 3 tests were

AAMC9 14-10-13 = 37
AAMC10 14-8-15 = 37
AAMC11 14-10-14 = 38

Got a 13-9-12 = 34 on the real thing :/

Last 3 tests (in the 3 days before the real deal) were:

AAMC#9 38 (13,13,12)

AAMC#11 36 (12,12,12)

AAMC#10 39 (13,12,14)

Got 37 (12,11,14) on the real MCAT

Overall AAMC average across 7 to 11 was exactly 37 (written on each of the 5 days before the test)