Do people get scholarships/ grants AFTER starting med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TakeMe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this happen?

Members don't see this ad.

i know that some schools that i applied to have scholarships/funding for their students that they dole out after the first one or two (or three) years. some funding you apply for, other money is merit based...and if your financial need substantially changes, i imagine some extra funding can be need-based. and of course you can apply for outside scholarships and get those after you start med school.

just check out the financial aid websites of your school(s) of interest, you can likely find out more relevant information there :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! My financial need will change, I am working full time this year. I will def. call

I find this odd since they don't necessarily need to provide "incentives" anymore since they've already got you in their school paying tuition. What is their motivation for this?

some scholarships come from alumni/random donations...so in many cases, someone died and left a ton of money to create a scholarship for students interested in some cause that the benefactor was also passionate about.

Yes, it is possible, and it doesn't just have to do with your performance first year or whether your situation has changed. A friend of mine was given a scholarship 2 weeks into his being a student here because some alum had given scholarship money and they had picked him to be the recipient after he'd already gotten to campus.

So yeah, go figure.

I find this odd since they don't necessarily need to provide "incentives" anymore since they've already got you in their school paying tuition. What is their motivation for this?

Maybe they want to know you're committed to the school and not just going for financial reasons? I'm not sure, seems backward to me too.