May 15th Policy Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonewaller06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the "narrowing down to one school" policy applies to ALL of the U.S. medical schools, or only to the AMCAS medical schools?

For instance, can one hold a TMDSAS acceptance and hold an AMCAS acceptance after May 15?

Members don't see this ad.

All schools. By May 15 you should have narrowed your decision down to 1 school.

"Applicants may hold offers from one of the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received."

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html#MultipleAcceptances

For all schools (not just Texas ones), do we have to have withdrawn BY the 15th (i.e. today) or can we do so on the 15th (tomorrow) until midnight?

Members don't see this ad :)
For all schools (not just Texas ones), do we have to have withdrawn BY the 15th (i.e. today) or can we do so on the 15th (tomorrow) until midnight?

Is there any real point in waiting at this stage in the game? I'm sure you have a decision already. Just let them know about it. This is it...end of the line.

I called AAMC about this a while back. You have to send emails to all the schools you are withdrawing from, and the emails must be timestamped by 11:59pm ON may 15th. so when the clock strikes may 16th, you are technically holding one spot.

That Texas msg is pretty blunt and seems more direct than the AMCAS one.

Nonetheless, I don't understand what people aren't understanding here. May 15 is the deadline after which you can hold only one acceptance, but you can remain on waitlists. If you get in off a waitlist, the school will give you maybe one week to decide - AFAIK it is up to them to set a deadline for a waitlist acceptance.

I don't there's any miscommunication. I'm OK with people waiting until May 15th to decide. But seriously...if you haven't decided by 12 PM tomorrow, is there something that is going to drastically change in your life between then and midnight? Medical school and life in general is a process of making tough decisions. You should already have an answer and not be worried about this by this point.

hey dontfret...so are you headed to Penn?

i really don't think the May 15th deadline is that firm. It depends on the admission committee

for those of us who just got accepted to a second school only this week, yes, between now and tomorrow, we could come across something substantial that will factor into our decision.

I just want to confirm that we do not need to contact the school we are going to before May 15th (to let them know we are attending). I don't know why I have the biggest fear that I withdraw from other schools, and then my one institution drops me..... :scared:

I just want to confirm that we do not need to contact the school we are going to before May 15th (to let them know we are attending). I don't know why I have the biggest fear that I withdraw from other schools, and then my one institution drops me..... :scared:

Correct. In fact, I would NOT send them anything in the next 24 hours out of the fear that they might toss your acceptance out with the other last minute withdrawals.

so im in a different country right now and UMich just offered me scholarship...on 15th of May in the US time! i don't remember sending them deposit money to the school because i was pretty determined to go to another school unless something significant happens. i am glad that they offered me the money but...on the 15th? arghhhhhh i cant decide...what am i supposed to do? it's already past the 15th in the states! and the email says that if i don't reply them they will just assume that i will accept the offer...................................what am i supposed to do? advice please?!!

so im in a different country right now and UMich just offered me scholarship...on 15th of May in the US time! i don't remember sending them deposit money to the school because i was pretty determined to go to another school unless something significant happens. i am glad that they offered me the money but...on the 15th? arghhhhhh i cant decide...what am i supposed to do? it's already past the 15th in the states! and the email says that if i don't reply them they will just assume that i will accept the offer...................................what am i supposed to do? advice please?!!
How much is the money?

Are you saying you were accepted off their waitlist yesterday, or were you already accepted and just now got the $ offer? If the latter, you must have been holding onto at least 2 acceptances on the 15th, indicating to me that you were going to have a dilemma come today no matter what Michigan offered you on the 15th. Care to clarify?

All opinion, but: I don't think your other school is going to drop you without warning on Monday morning. Next week, I assume that all schools will be told which students are holding multiple acceptances, and I assume from that schools will get in touch with you to force your hand.

So I think you have some time, but do not bury your head in the sand. Be proactive - contact the other school and explain that you need more time - be specific if you can and give a date in the next week by when you will notify them.

Are you saying you were accepted off their waitlist yesterday, or were you already accepted and just now got the $ offer? If the latter, you must have been holding onto at least 2 acceptances on the 15th, indicating to me that you were going to have a dilemma come today no matter what Michigan offered you on the 15th. Care to clarify?

All opinion, but: I don't think your other school is going to drop you without warning on Monday morning. Next week, I assume that all schools will be told which students are holding multiple acceptances, and I assume from that schools will get in touch with you to force your hand.

So I think you have some time, but do not bury your head in the sand. Be proactive - contact the other school and explain that you need more time - be specific if you can and give a date in the next week by when you will notify them.

thanks for your advice! i will contact both schools to let them know my situation!

as for my dillemma: i was initially drawn to umich but there was no scholarship at the first round. feeling unloved, i decided to go to duke because it has a smaller class size and i wanted to try out its unique curriculum. i didn't get to go to the second look for mich since i had to leave for another country for personal reasons. i heard many good things about both schools and im really torn right now.

I e-mailed AMCAS re: May 15 and got a very different response that kinda agrees with what flip26 says:

[1] the official policy is only for MD/PhD students and it's just a recommendation for MD applicants

[2] individual schools cannot drop you; you have to drop yourself

[3] applicants can hold multiple acceptances while waiting for financial aid information

This makes sense, plus I have been hanging around SDN for several years and have never heard of someone being dropped without warning after May 15 - if it happened, I think we would hear about it here.

I'm probably going to open a whole can of worms with this response but...

I'm well aware of the consensus SDN has about people with multiple acceptances having every right to hold them up until the last minute. There is an honor system with this May 15th deadline, and no, you probably wont be dropped without notice. But many of you have had plenty of time to think about where you should go. Medical schools and AAMC have taken great consideration in structuring this whole process to give most of the applicants the time they need to choose. Sure, there are a few that were accepted a few days ago and may need a little bit longer to decide where to go. But the rest of you, stop fiddle farting around and pick your damn school.

/thread.

Correct. In fact, I would NOT send them anything in the next 24 hours out of the fear that they might toss your acceptance out with the other last minute withdrawals.

Haha I thought of this too.

Haha I thought of this too.

When May 15 falls on a weekend, the following Monday is the deadline. Yes, I KNOW what the rules say, I also know the way it operates. The deadline is more for applicants to get of the dime and narrow this thing down. The schools will normally wait another day or two to let each other update AMCAS to see what the rosters are. If you are holding two spots on ~Wednesday, schools may start to call you to decide. From this point forward the wait list invitations will kick in with a vigor. Once you get an offer you get two weeks to make your decision; this gives you time to get financial info before your decision. Schools may begin to shorten this "two weeks" the closer you get to start time for that program.

When May 15 falls on a weekend, the following Monday is the deadline. Yes, I KNOW what the rules say, I also know the way it operates. The deadline is more for applicants to get of the dime and narrow this thing down. The schools will normally wait another day or two to let each other update AMCAS to see what the rosters are. If you are holding two spots on ~Wednesday, schools may start to call you to decide. From this point forward the wait list invitations will kick in with a vigor. Once you get an offer you get two weeks to make your decision; this gives you time to get financial info before your decision. Schools may begin to shorten this "two weeks" the closer you get to start time for that program.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also does this mean that waitlists are likely not going to move much now until like the 18th or 19th now?

Can anyone confirm this?

Also does this mean that waitlists are likely not going to move much now until like the 18th or 19th now?

Yes this is what it means and what you should expect. The waiting game never ends:). You probably shouldnt expect something until the end of the week at the earliest. REL is an adcom at some med school so im pretty sure he knows how things tend to work :p.

Thanks dude. Kinda figured this is how it would work more waiting :(.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.