Men's Interview Clothing #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The old thread can be found here.

Starting a new thread for the new season. I made my own mistakes in dressing for my interviews (they didn't cost me any acceptances though), still I wish I had seen the old thread sooner.

For a general guide as to what to wear captainnerd says it all:

You guys should strive for something like this below. Simple, fits well, proper cuff, proper length, proper inseam, proper shoes, completely boring and perfect. Why get all flashy?

greytiemarch102r.jpg

General guidelines are:

Suits: Navy, Grey are most popular. Black is what many people wear but something you should stay away from.

Shirts: conservative is better. Plain white, light blue, pink, light purple.

Ties: Small pattern and solid.

Shoes: Brown or Black, not squared. Clean.

This is just my general feelings, I am by no means an expert, but I hated the idea of starting a thread without saying something.

If you are looking for advice, post pictures, and someone or many someones will comment.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have my blessings.

This is actually my uniform for every time I have to go into clinic now. I don't have to wear a suit jacket but for shirt, it is white. For tie, it is blue with white microscopic dots, gray solid wool, and for shoes, it is black brogue wingtips or brown brogue wingtips or gray brogue wingtips.

Last edited:
Sooo... two things. it says stay away from black, but the pic is of a guy in a black suit is it not? or is that a dark navy... am i colorblind?

And what's with the non-squared shoes. My dress shoes (that i think look quite good) are softly squared. Is that just personal preference. Cause in my opinion, the shoes in that picture are just too pointy...

Members don't see this ad :)
How about a brown suit jacket with black dress shirt underneath (brown/black tie), brown dress pants and brown shoes?

All fits really well.

Sooo... two things. it says stay away from black, but the pic is of a guy in a black suit is it not? or is that a dark navy... am i colorblind?

And what's with the non-squared shoes. My dress shoes (that i think look quite good) are softly squared. Is that just personal preference. Cause in my opinion, the shoes in that picture are just too pointy...

In photos, even charcoal looks like black. The suit in the photo is navy.

As for squared shoes, sure, whatever if you got em, wear em. But if you're shopping for shoes, buy a pair of non squared shoes.

Is anyone's foot actually squared off at the toes? The square is a result of American producer's obsession with the lowest common denominator: let's produce the crappiest products so that we can sell to the largest number of people. The square is the result of the mechanization of shoe making. It's easier to make a square toe than it is a rounded toe.

Producers don't just make things the way it ought to be made. They take into account the production process when designing the crap they make. A pair of Nikes is designed to be made by illiterate Indonesian school children.

I'll agree that the shoes in the photo aren't the best. I would have went with brown.

How about a brown suit jacket with black dress shirt underneath (brown/black tie), brown dress pants and brown shoes?

All fits really well.

One of the best advice I can give is: would the President of the US wear that? What about the President of France? Or England? There is no such thing as a black dress shirt.

Reactions: 1 user
CaptainNerd is the God of Male Fashion. Do not even try to argue with guy. You will be destroyed and even worse, embarassed by your ignorance. Listen and learn, little grasshopper. Look good and appropriate at your interview!

All fits really well.
I'm not a fan of black dress shirts at all. If you DO wear one make sure it is new because even with the best fabrics after one wash it has started to fade and faded black is the easiest thing to spot in the world. Also, lighter colors are more inviting in general.

What kind of brown jacket? Dark/ medium/ light?

CaptainNerd is the God of Male Fashion. Do not even try to argue with guy. You will be destroyed and even worse, embarassed by your ignorance. Listen and learn, little grasshopper. Look good and appropriate at your interview!
Yeah, he knows his stuff, and I used most of his posts to look into how I dress and where I look for dress advice.

Though, I still like my black suit, but it's slightly patterned so I think I ended up with his blessings on it.

Fashion is for teh gheys who wear black dress shirts and red dress shirts. I'm pretty sure most US presidents didn't have fashion in mind. Dressing like an adult should come naturally. Fashion comes and goes. The stuff JFK wore is still good today. That's not fashion, that's just common sense. Skinny ties is fashion.

Fashion is this:
thom_browne3.jpg

Nah, don't wear a black shirt. Save that for your formal or something.

Actually, don't. The white shirt is still de rigueur for formal events. Black shirt = you're the waiter at the event.

To me fashion is "the stuff those people wear on runways and there is no way you'd be caught dead in".

Trend is what is popular but still more conservative, like certain colors trend in (lavender for example) or skinny ties.

conservative dress is what you are going for here. Boring? yes. Safe? Yes.

Oh and for the thrifty minded: Don't spend a lot of money on ties. Probably the most over-payed-for objects around. Look for good deals. Tiebar.com is a great site for good ties that look nice and don't cost a bazillion dollars. Use the money you save to get your suit tailored. Ill fitting looks terrible.

Actually, don't. The white shirt is still de rigueur for formal events. Black shirt = you're the waiter at the event.
Nah...if you can pull it off, black shirt + pink tie (or another bright tie) = really classy actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah...if you can pull it off, black shirt + pink tie (or another bright tie) = really classy actually.

Now THIS is fashion. There is nothing classy about fashion. Let me guess, it's a black shirt, bright tie with a really big knot, and a hat that you'd see one of those hip hop "artists" wear. Of course, the hat would list to the side covering one of your eyes. Yeah, that is classy.

Charcoal suit + white dress shirt + dark blue solid tie + black non-squared shoes got me through the interview season. Although I did rock some bright ass dress socks.

Oh yeah, get your suit tailored. You'll look fly.

Last edited:
My brother wore Black and Pink to homecoming in high school. It worked okay for that. When I was playing shows we'd sometimes wear Black and brighter ties. Its def more of a pop culture thing, not really appropriate for an interview.

Like Captain says, if the president wouldn't wear it, it's probably not a good idea for an interview.

Captain, know anything about these suits? The price and reviews seem a bit too good to be true....

I hate to give advice about what suit to buy. The problem with buying online is you don't get to see what you're buying. You only have certain cues to go by. First of all, the Italians are masters of marketing. They slap an Italian name on it and people go crazy over it. Most people think the best shoes are Italian. The best shoes are Hungarian, closely followed by English shoes. The best suits are English. The best fabric is English.

I'm assuming Bianco Brioni is trying to ride of the coattails of Brioni. Brioni is the suitmaker of James Bond. A true Brioni would not appear on Amazon.com.

Regardless of what you buy, you'll have to get it tailored. Sure, buy it, you'll pay for what you get in terms of the quality of the fabric but what you buy won't be what you wear since you'll still have to get it tailored. In the end, the results are dependent on who your tailor is.

The main reason I don't like to give a particular brand is simple: Fashion depends on marketing. Good quality products don't market. The best suits in the world have unremarkable names like Huntsman, Anderson and Sheppard, Chan and Sons. The names you know are the crap: Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Armani.

Last edited:
Charcoal suit + white dress shirt + dark blue solid tie + black non-squared shoes got me through the interview season. Although I did rock some bright ass dress socks.

Oh yeah, get your suit tailored. You'll look fly.

+1. Nothing looks better than a person wearing a perfectly fitted suit in classic muted colors and sporting ridiculously bright socks.

I hate to give advice about what suit to buy. The problem with buying online is you don't get to see what you're buying. You only have certain cues to go by. First of all, the Italians are masters of marketing. They slap an Italian name on it and people go crazy over it. Most people think the best shoes are Italian. The best shoes are Hungarian, closely followed by English shoes. The best suits are English. The best fabric is English.

I'm assuming Bianco Brioni is trying to ride of the coattails of Brioni. Brioni is the suitmaker of James Bond. A true Brioni would not appear on Amazon.com.

Regardless of what you buy, you'll have to get it tailored. Sure, buy it, you'll pay for what you get in terms of the quality of the fabric but what you buy won't be what you wear since you'll still have to get it tailored. In the end, the results are dependent on who your tailor is.

The main reason I don't like to give a particular brand is simple: Fashion depends on marketing. Good quality products don't market. The best suits in the world have unremarkable names like Huntsman, Anderson and Sheppard, Chan and Sons. The names you know are the crap: Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Armani.
I'm not buying one, just wasn't sure if you knew anything about them before I pass that link on to anyone. I got my suit from J. Ferrar, it fit me well and only cost like 119. A total steal in my opinion.

I love captainnerd. I accept his input on clothing as gospel. I was amazed how people angry were getting at him in the first thread.
Meh, I got defensive. There are a lot of misconceptions, and I fell into them. I was wrong, he was right. I've no qualms admitting it and am glad to have learned.

Here is what Men's wear house says about interview suits.
J Crew used to have a section about it but I can't seem to find that now.

I'm glad you mentioned J. Crew. Surprisingly, their suits are becoming good. They're trying very hard to advertise that the construction of their suits are getting better. They're no longer using glue and the suit is properly canvased.

+1. Nothing looks better than a person wearing a perfectly fitted suit in classic muted colors and sporting ridiculously bright socks.
Haha, I will fully admit my sock selection was anything but conservative. In any other professional setting, I usually wear the classic colors. But my socks during interview season were symbolic of how much I just wanted to enjoy the experience - it's important to not take everything too seriously, right?

Meh, I got defensive. There are a lot of misconceptions, and I fell into them. I was wrong, he was right. I've no qualms admitting it and am glad to have learned.

The reason why people get angry is because the way a person dresses is a very personal thing. It's not like chemistry or how to operate a pipette. If I told you you were doing a chemical process wrong, you'd say "well, he's older than me, he knows more than me. Yeah, of course he's right" (I'm giving an hypothetical example, I'm not older than you and I don't know more chemistry than you). Now imagine if I told you that you were combing your hair wrong? Or that you were dressing wrong? Now imagine that what I told you about your dress goes against everything that the fashion industry spends hundreds of millions of dollars trying to get you to wear.

Go to Japan and you'll find incredibly dressed business men and women. The same goes for England. For most Europeans, dressing properly is a part of their life. In America, that's just not the case. Americans in business wear is a comedy of errors.

At some interviews, I was the only person not wearing white. I like changing around the shirt color. Nothing too flashy, though, but just enough to be a little different (light yellow, royal blue, etc). White is just boring (unless that is your goal) and you look like everyone else.

This is just my opinion speaking from my interview experiences. Don't hurt me, captainnerd.

At some interviews, I was the only person not wearing white. I like changing around the shirt color. Nothing too flashy, though, but just enough to be a little different (light yellow, royal blue, etc). White is just boring (unless that is your goal) and you look like everyone else.

This is just my opinion speaking from my interview experiences. Don't hurt me, captainnerd.
It's supposed to be boring. You can't really gain points by dressing to stand out, you only lose points when you look foolish (purple jackets, ill fitting clothing etc.).

If you want to stand out do a micro pattern tie or subtle stripes. Light blue looks sharp under most suits. Pale pinks, yellows, purples can also be done. The shirt should not be the part that attention is drawn to. Ideally no one part should stand out. Standing out isn't what you are going for unless it is "wow, this is the only guy here who knows how to dress for these things".

I have a rule, it is simple. Keep it light. Light blue is better than midnight blue. Light pink is better than maroon red. Of course, this rule doesn't work for orange or brown. Light orange shouldn't be worn just like light brown. There are certain colors that just aren't acceptable for the most business-like attire. Greens, oranges, red, brown should be avoided at all cost.

The reason why I like white is because it reduces the importance of color and places the emphasis on fit. I think the most important thing is fit. A perfect tie that is too long is comical. A white shirt that is too big looks like a child dressing up in daddy's clothes.

The main reason why I like bright socks is primarily because socks are often ignored to the point where I rather point attention to it. There's no emphasis on fit when it comes to socks.

Last edited:
Oh damn, you actually weren't making fun of my bright socks? Haha.

Nope. In fact, I'm looking for where to buy a pair like these:
1-32.jpg

I've actually purchased womens socks, the ones that are in colors also suitable for men to wear.

Well, the other reason why I like bright socks is because I wear expensive shoes. Women like expensive English shoes.

I am so sad I cant take place in a men's fashion thread.

I see your four and raise you:

88b4deda.jpg

(lacoste > Polo)

Being one of the older members of my class, I actually see lots of my younger classmates wearing this crap to class. I never say anything.

Being one of the older members of my class, I actually see lots of my younger classmates wearing this crap to class. I never say anything.
NOO way! :eek: ok, ill take the warning and get out of here.

I've heard a lot of people say socks are the safe place to spruce up a look.

Yes!

That or adding a tie bar / watch.

Watch, yes, tie bar, no.

I'm glad to see the love of bright socks coming out, I definitely didn't tame those down at all for the interview season.

I'm glad you mentioned J. Crew. Surprisingly, their suits are becoming good. They're trying very hard to advertise that the construction of their suits are getting better. They're no longer using glue and the suit is properly canvased.

The quality has improved, but the price point is still a rip-off. I just looked on J Crew's website - to get into one of their suits is now >$500. There are much better options at that price.

And I say this as someone who unabashedly loves J Crew - my dress coat is from there, their khaki pants fit really well and are good quality, and their knit sweaters are great. The only stuff I don't like is the "broken in" stuff that they market to frat boys.

The quality has improved, but the price point is still a rip-off. I just looked on J Crew's website - to get into one of their suits is now >$500. There are much better options at that price.

And I say this as someone who unabashedly loves J Crew - my dress coat is from there, their khaki pants fit really well and are good quality, and their knit sweaters are great. The only stuff I don't like is the "broken in" stuff that they market to frat boys.

I agree that $500 is a bit steep but I think canvas construction is hard to find. Most suits that you'll find at Macy's, JC Penny, and even Nordstroms will be glued/fused. I think in terms of construction, the canvas is the most important thing. Sure, crappy fabric is hard to tell. But when the glue starts to melt after 3 years, it'll get lumpy whereas crappy fabric will still look like new after 3 years (as long as you don't spill anything on it).

If you know of an independent suitmaker that will custom make a suit for $600, that's the best option.

crap as in multiple layers or as in you don't like the brand?

I like Lacoste, it fits me well, but I only buy it when it's ~1/2 off.

Crap as in the multiple layers. I'll agree that Lacoste polos are good quality. But I am a bit disappointed they moved production to Eastern Europe and Turkey. I think I'll move over to Sunspel who keeps production in England. Also, Sunspel doesn't put a logo on the chest. I don't like being a marketing billboard shilling for the fashion industry.

Opinions on these guys? http://www.blank-label.com/

$45 for a conservative shirt that should fit better than average could be a blessing. Retail 15'' collars usually look like I'm wearing a bag and 14.5'' is nearly impossible to find and a little tight around the neck.

For all you other skinny guys, this might be a good deal. I actually ordered one after the NYT article on them yielded a $10 coupon so I'll let you all know after it arrives.
I like Express dress shirts. I'm a small guy and I find that the fitted shirts fit me really well both in the neck and body. Def want to try one on in a store though, the online colors seem to be off sometimes.

edit: When you are looking retail look for slim fit or ask the associate if they can order it. I know through JCP you can get stafford and (at the time) J Ferrar in slim even though sometimes they don't carry it in the store. I am sure the same is true with other retailers, but I don't really shop those so I don't know.

Last edited:
I like Express dress shirts. I'm a small guy and I find that the fitted shirts fit me really well both in the neck and body. Def want to try one on in a store though, the online colors seem to be off sometimes.

edit: When you are looking retail look for slim fit or ask the associate if they can order it. I know through JCP you can get stafford and (at the time) J Ferrar in slim even though sometimes they don't carry it in the store. I am sure the same is true with other retailers, but I don't really shop those so I don't know.

The new express slim/fitted dress shirts are great. Love em. They don't billow out at the sides or arms like most dress shirts do, and both look back to a classic time when people dressed properly fit and a modern appeal, before everything got oversized in the 80s and 90s. Also the price is relatively modest, so no fret if something bad happens to them.

edit: you're right about the colors, because I clicked on your link and I own what express calls their "french blue" and its much lighter than that.. not as sharp as the online picture is, unless they've changed their colors since I bought it a year ago.

Last edited:
bright colors for skinnier people makes you look bigger... and i think brown just fails all around for most people. rarely, people can, but it's pretty hard to pull it off.

Yeah I like Express too and when they're on sale (i.e. all the time) they are well priced. The reason I was interested in Blank Label is because some Express colors are just way too vivid, plus every skinny guy has the same shirts or can spot an Express shirt instantly.

I figure I can save Express for clinic/hospital and try Blank Label for the same price (with the NYT coupon) on special days.

Ha, wise plan.

Yeah some of their colors are very vivid, but I wouldn't wear those to interviews obviously. I only have one "vivid" color by them, but I bought it as a young foolish sophomore. Waste of money.

Uniqlo has some cool stuff as well, but I've never purchased there. The one time I walked into the Noho store it was absolute madness with tourists during the holidays and I was overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.