OHSU OOS friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charju

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been reading the forums and checked OHSU's website.. they have 30 percent OOS in their matriculating class.. i am getting mixed ideas from the forums about OHSU being friendly to OOS or not..

whats the verdict? im a cali resident btw..

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Too friendly, IMO. :laugh:

i've been reading the forums and checked OHSU's website.. they have 30 percent OOS in their matriculating class.. i am getting mixed ideas from the forums about OHSU being friendly to OOS or not..

whats the verdict? im a cali resident btw..

I've heard that though those stats say OOS friendly, they really reserve the spots for nearby states and states w/o med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that though those stats say OOS friendly, they really reserve the spots for nearby states and states w/o med schools.

yes this is exactly what im trying to get at.. thus would it be advisable to apply as a cali resident?

yes this is exactly what im trying to get at.. thus would it be advisable to apply as a cali resident?

If you are older, nontrad, married, with some grey in your hair, have lots of health care experience, and mediocre stats, and are out of state, and into rural health care, OHSU is nirvana. If you are a hot 22 year old applicant from Cali, forget it.

Yes, they are OoS friendly. The WICHE kids are an extremely small part of that (unlike the regional WWAMI thing at UW).

Read the school's selection factors website (http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/academic-programs/md-program/admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm):

The School of Medicine gives preference to the following applicants:
  • Residents of Oregon.
  • WICHE-Certified residents of Montana and Wyoming.
  • Applicants applying to the M.D./Ph.D. and M.D./M.P.H. Combined Degree Programs.
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2010 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most-recent eligible MCAT.
  • The School of Medicine Admissions Committee fully recognizes the importance of diversity in its student body and in the physician workforce in providing for effective delivery of health care. Accordingly, the OHSU School of Medicine strongly encourages applications from persons from all socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, religious, and educational backgrounds and from persons from groups underrepresented in medicine.

So, as a non-WICHE OoS-er, such as a Californian, you can apply. Your chances are much better for you if you have a 3.65+ and a 32, and/or you come from a group "underrepresented in medicine." Otherwise, you don't fit it the school's mission. Read up about mission groups from LizzyM.

If you are older, nontrad, married, with some grey in your hair, have lots of health care experience, and mediocre stats, and are out of state, and into rural health care, OHSU is nirvana. If you are a hot 22 year old applicant from Cali, forget it.

There were several traditional applicants with high stats from CA during my interview day. I realize that's just what I saw on one day, but they are definitely considered. :)

And I was accepted. And although I am non-trad, I wouldn't say I'm grey quite yet.

There were several traditional applicants with high stats from CA during my interview day. I realize that's just what I saw on one day, but they are definitely considered. :)

And I was accepted. And although I am non-trad, I wouldn't say I'm grey quite yet.

Traditional applicants from Cali with high stats generally get rejected by OHSU, as do traditional applicants from Oregon with high stats, they get interviewed but rejected, and end up in places like Duke, Columbia, Yale, and Harvard.

Working on the married and grey hair currently, but have the rest down. I'll keep this in mind when I apply (they are already one of my top schools).

While the average age of a matriculating OHSU student is a bit higher than average (I think our mean is 26-27 years, the horror), keep in mind that about half of every matriculating class is made up of (unmarried) 22-23 year old students. And, to be honest, the incoming classes seem to get more tall, blond, and attractive with each passing year. :laugh:

At OHSU, in state students have an advantage when it comes to snagging interview invites, but after that point the decision is based very heavily on your essays, EC experiences, and interviews. Yes, life and healthcare experience will help you stand out at your interviews, but you can certainly stand out even if you are a young applicant from Cali.

Reactions: 1 user
While the average age of a matriculating OHSU student is a bit higher than average (I think our mean is 26-27 years, the horror), keep in mind that about half of every matriculating class is made up of (unmarried) 22-23 year old students. And, to be honest, the incoming classes seem to get more tall, blond, and attractive with each passing year. :laugh:

At OHSU, in state students have an advantage when it comes to snagging interview invites, but after that point the decision is based very heavily on your essays, EC experiences, and interviews. Yes, life and healthcare experience will help you stand out at your interviews, but you can certainly stand out even if you are a young applicant from Cali.

Unlike many state schools, OHSU does not view its mission as training physicians who will deal with the increasingly severe shortage of docs in many areas of Oregon. OHSU trains alot of docs who tip their hat to Oregon and then go back home.

Last edited:
My point is that many of the best and brightest students in Oregon are routinely rejected by their state school, OHSU, and are forced to seek an medical education elsewhere (at some the country's elite medical schools), and many never return. To the detriment of the citizens of Oregon.

That may be true partially true (the class % of IS students has gone up over recent years and is close to 3/4 IS currently), but the OP wasn't asking about whether or not OHSU's admissions policies are in the best interest of the state. The OP asked about chance of admission as an out of state student. I think we both agree that chances of admission for OOS students are pretty good at OHSU compared to many other state schools.

And to answer your question, I have no burning desire to go back to Baltimore, and I still have 6 or so years before I have to decide where to go next. I wouldn't mind staying in Portland, although I have to admit that I won't be venturing to rural Oregon.

That may be true partially true (the class % of IS students has gone up over recent years and is close to 3/4 IS currently), but the OP wasn't asking about whether or not OHSU's admissions policies are in the best interest of the state. The OP asked about chance of admission as an out of state student. I think we both agree that chances of admission for OOS students are pretty good at OHSU compared to many other state schools.

And to answer your question, I have no burning desire to go back to Baltimore, and I still have 6 or so years before I have to decide where to go next. I wouldn't mind staying in Portland, although I have to admit that I won't be venturing to rural Oregon.

I certainly agree that OHSU is much more friendly to OOS students than most state med schools.

Last edited:
thanks for all the info guys. I'll be finalizing my list soon.. will see if OHSU makes it!

can anyone tell me how strict OHSU is about eliglibilty in terms of the MCAT.
don't want to submit a secondary, if they're just going to reject.

thanks in advance!!!

can anyone tell me how strict OHSU is about eliglibilty in terms of the MCAT.
don't want to submit a secondary, if they're just going to reject.

thanks in advance!!!

Very. They have not interviewed anyone outside of the mission group defined above by Hobbes for many years according to the admissions staff.

For reference in this years class there are 132 students. 112 were either an Oregon resident or had oregon heritage (went to college or high school, or parents live in oregon, the whole description is on their site) so 20 non residents. 6 of those are WICHE and 5 were in a combined program so just 9 regular MD OOS. This is definitely skewed because this is just matriculated students not accepted. I have a feeling lots of interviewed OOS who were accepted were also accepted elsewhere just based on the stats as a pure OOS to get an interview.