UPenn c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moosenanny threw down the gauntlet. Can't let the potential Pennwe applicants be left out.

Here's your spot to ask questions of those who have walked in your footsteps, or to confer, celebrate, and commiserate with those who are walking alongside you!

Members don't see this ad.

People are probably scratching their heads asking themselves who this 'moosenanny' is that you speak of :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
People are probably scratching their heads asking themselves who this 'moosenanny' is that you speak of :laugh:

I thought that might seem a little strange to someone just randomly finding this thread. Then again, I remember when I first starting reading this forum I was also a little confused about things. I specifically remember thinking what is the TT search feature they were talking about and how do you use it? :oops:

At least now some wannabe Pennwe will hear your name even if this is the only thread they ever read!

BTW Penn applicants: remember Penn has the greatest supplemental application of any vet school. If it takes you more than 3 minutes to complete, you don't get in!

BTW Penn applicants: remember Penn has the greatest supplemental application of any vet school. If it takes you more than 3 minutes to complete, you don't get in!

Except it makes you wonder why it takes $60 to process just those 3 questions (though yes, I totally understand admissions peeps need to get paid too...), and also makes you feel insecure if your parents aren't vets and didn't go to Penn :p

Except it makes you wonder why it takes $60 to process just those 3 questions (though yes, I totally understand admissions peeps need to get paid too...), and also makes you feel insecure if your parents aren't vets and didn't go to Penn :p

It actually takes 75 dollars to process just those 3 questions - lol

Fingers crossed for UPENN 2015!!!

I have a question about Penn's resident admissions. I ran across this question on their website:

2) Do PA residents have a better chance of being admitted to Penn Vet?

Yes, about 34% of our class of 125 students comes from PA. Out of over 1,200 applicants, about 250 are from PA. That leaves about 1,000 applicants from outside of PA, from which we will take enough to fill the remainder of the class.

I thought that more than 34% of Penn's class was made up of resident students. In fact, I remember hearing that about 51% of their class is/was made up of residents in previous years. Has there been a change in their admissions policies?

I thought that more than 34% of Penn's class was made up of resident students. In fact, I remember hearing that about 51% of their class is/was made up of residents in previous years. Has there been a change in their admissions policies?

The change went into effect last admissions cycle, yeah.

Yea! That question made me really worried, they make it sound like such a big deal putting it on the supp. app. What is the point of putting that on there??? I feel like its unfair to let someone in bc they have relative that went there.

Yea! That question made me really worried, they make it sound like such a big deal putting it on the supp. app. What is the point of putting that on there??? I feel like its unfair to let someone in bc they have relative that went there.

you won't get in just because you had/have a relative there

ps- orientation this week rocks! we are going to do a trivia night at the bar at 8 :) i love my class already and the current students that are involved in our orientation activities are great mentors!

pps-bunnity and i are histo partners!! haha what are the chances!!?? (well, im like 90% sure it is her)

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY! A Penn thread! And kudos on the 'Pennwe' reference. Part of me fears becoming one of 'them', but it's my IS school, so it's on the list. Got knocked out WAY early last year and figure it will probably happen again, but what the heck.

And yeah, you gotta love that supplemental app. I still haven't quite figured out why they have it other than to make extra $$$$. Oh well... Just another flaming hoop to jump through I imagine. ;)

Just got my "Acknowledgment Letter" from UPenn informing me that my application was complete. :) Curious to see if others have already gotten it too...

Just got my "Acknowledgment Letter" from UPenn informing me that my application was complete. :) Curious to see if others have already gotten it too...

Yup, got mine today too! Squuuuueeeeeeeeeee. Want interview!:laugh:

Yup, got mine today too! Squuuuueeeeeeeeeee. Want interview!:laugh:

They'll start coming soon enough! I got my confirmation last year on 11/6, and then an interview invite on 11/23! If I remember correctly, they come in batches every other week or so. Hang in tight if you're LA oriented though, cause they hold you out for the New Bolton interview in the spring!

They'll start coming soon enough! I got my confirmation last year on 11/6, and then an interview invite on 11/23! If I remember correctly, they come in batches every other week or so. Hang in tight if you're LA oriented though, cause they hold you out for the New Bolton interview in the spring!

Eek!! I heard about the "batches"— I just hope I hear back sooner rather than later!

that soon!? I got my email too, saying good job, you successfully submitted everything. I wish I got those from everyone, though I was at work when my blackberry went off and I saw the email and started panicking. The vet I work for just started chuckling, reminding me that I still had a bit of a wait left. Thanks for that...
So you got an interview at Penn but go to CSU! Mind me asking what your IS is? Mine is Penn but I would die if I got into CSU... of course I would be pleased to get into Penn too...

anyone NOT get there confirmation from UPenn? I'm sure that's the case but I'm a little jumpy since I didn't receive one yet.

I didn't get one yet either.

Still waiting for mine! But I heard they do things in "batches" so hopefully soon:)

Still waiting for mine! But I heard they do things in "batches" so hopefully soon:)

Thats for interview invites. We're talking about the confirmation mail saying they received all application materials. They give you a chance to send in missing GRE/transciripts/etc
I don't think they've sent out any interview invites yet...its still a little early for Penn.

It doesn't really have anything to do with timing, but we are starting the process to elect the students who help on the admissions committee.

Sorry but it won't be me. I've got enough on my plate! Pester Blackat. I think class reps automatically are involved (but I could be wrong).

I'm also still waiting for my application confirmation. I received my letter on 11/6 last year -- hope I'm not missing anything this year.

I actually meant the "confirmation" email in my previous post. Last year I got mine around this time but I think others got theirs earlier or later.

This confirmation letter that you all speak of is an e-mail, right? I haven't gotten anything yet, but they did cash my check a while back, so hopefully all is well!

I think I got a snail mail confirmation last year...but I really don't remember.

@Niteangel: didn't realize they sent out the confirmations at various times, I just assumed it would be something done early.

It doesn't really have anything to do with timing, but we are starting the process to elect the students who help on the admissions committee.

Sorry but it won't be me. I've got enough on my plate! Pester Blackat. I think class reps automatically are involved (but I could be wrong).

unfortunately, since i'm vice prez i'm not allowed to be on the admissions committee, booo. But i did sign up to be a group leader for orientation next summer! and i'll try to be at the happy hrs to talk to you pre-vetters :D!! i can't wait to see all the interviewees i think it will help with my emotions (anger) right now lol

I did get my confirmation e-mail yesterday. I need to calm down. It's only November 11th and I'm already giving myself chest pains and stomach ulcers. How is it that I am capable of waiting for everything else in my life but when it comes to vet school admissions, I become a crazed lunatic who is incapable of thinking logically?

I will now proceed to being calm, quiet, reserved, and panic-free. ;)

Didn't get my confirmation letter/email yet either. It isn't really that a big of a deal though and I take it we'll all see one soon enough.

I haven't gotten my confirmation email yet either.

BlacKat and SOV and any other PennWe's ---- VOTE FOR ME!!

I wanna be on the admissions committee!!!

I hope I get elected and get to meet you guys come Winter/Spring.

of course u have my vote!! did u actually have doubts that we'd not vote for u?!?! haha ur silly

once u get elected, make sure to tell all ur students on the tour about the happy hr AHEAD of time, so they can change their night plans and come see me in the lounge!! lol

For those of you still waiting for a confirmation e-mail... mine never came last year (or so I thought), so I called, and it turned out they had sent it but it had somehow ended up in my junk e-mail box. If you haven't checked there already, be sure to do so!

Also, hiiiii c/o 2014 PennWes! I haven't been around SDN much (thank you Cornell) but I'm still kinda jealous of you all and hope everything is going well down there in my old city!

Just got the "application is complete" email.

Got mine too:)

Now to continue with the waiting game...

I got my e-mail today. Maybe they're going through alphabetically. My last name starts with a T.

I haven't received mine yet -- do you think I should be worried?

I haven't gotten mine yet either. I have elected to not worry... yet! Let me know if you decide to worry, and maybe I'll join you.;)

I am before "T" so I doubt it is alphabetical. I have been checking my SPAM daily too, and haven't bound anything there either.

I did actually receive the email on Friday -- my personal email account ONLY JUST added all my Friday email to my inbox! Now I have to worry that something's wrong with my account!!

gone2dogs - you don't happen to have an AOL email account, do you?

Got a letter in the mail on Monday, 11/15, saying they had received all of my materials. Now to continue sitting back and waiting (and waiting, and waiting....)

we are having elections for the admissions committee soon!! remember, make sure to talk to the students on the admissions committee during your interview day because their opinions matter!! :D

OK, so some people are getting confirmation e-mails, some people are getting letters in the mail, and some people haven't heard a thing yet, right? Or would that just be gone2dogs that hasn't heard a thing yet (other than my check getting cashed)?

I'm getting close to the point of being concerned...

Don't worry! penn does lots of things by batches. Penn also receives (the most?) A LOT of applications because they take more OOS students than most schools so i'm sure it takes them longer to send out all the letters/emails than other schools who get less OOS applicants

Is the timing of when you get your confirmation email indicative of when you will receive further notifications (i.e. will the people that received their confirmations earlier also hear about interviews earlier)?

Is the timing of when you get your confirmation email indicative of when you will receive further notifications (i.e. will the people that received their confirmations earlier also hear about interviews earlier)?

nope highly doubt that. especially because penn also separates out the large animal people. their interview is last and they go to New Bolton Center for the whole day

I still wouldn't freak out (this is coming from someone who made her roommate call her and report on what the mailman left everyday)...I JUST got mine, regular old SNAIL MAIL! with the wonderful note that they didnt have my GRE scores:eek: Just dug up my score report confirmations- sent them, right school code and all!...time to call penn:scared:

I too just got mine via snail mail yesterday. I was also missing something - a transcript from one school - that I have confirmation was indeed sent to the correct address weeks before the deadline. Ah well, it would be a miracle not to have any missing documents at any schools during the whole process.

Try not to panic - even if we're missing something, it sounds like they are giving us a chance to make it up. Assuming you have record that they cashed your check and recieved your VMCAS (VMCAS will tell you that it was sent), I wouldn't worry at all. (not that I didn't do a fine job of fretting prior to getting my letter :laugh:)