University of Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am very interested in applying to University of Houston College of Pharmacy. A matter of fact, I have already sent in my application! The only real disadvantage that I believe I have is that I'm not a Texas resident. I was wondering how much of a disadvantage is this? What percent of accepted students are from out-of-state? Also, please provide any information about UH that you think may be helpful or informational. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am new to all this Pharm school forum.

Anyways... My situtation is that when I graduated high school, I was so dumb that I did not take college seriously... My grades sufferd.

About four years ago, I realized my time is ticking so I get my act together and enrolled myself to a local university instead of staying in a community college. I turned myself 180 degreee, for the last 4 years my accumulative GPA is around 3.88ish.

PCAT is another thing, I studied for PCAT last summer and I only score 65 accumulative. I was so bummed! I am retaking it this Oct 16, and I am scared to death. I really really want to get in to UHCOP. My second choice is UTCOP. What you guys think my chances are???? Any suggestions on what I have to do???:(:(:(:(:confused:

Thanks

I graduated with my bachelor's in bio a few years ago, but I was having fun and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life so my grades suffered. Since I graduated, I decided to pursue pharmacy. I had a few prereqs I needed to take and I've gotten A's in all of them.

On the UH app, you have to specifically enter in your grades for each of the prereq classes so it doesn't look too good since I didn't do very well in them. I was thinking of sending in a note with my app package explaining that I'm not the same student I was then, and I've done well in my classes since I decided to pursue pharmacy. Do you think this would be a good idea, or should I not even bother?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else applying here? Or received interview dates yet?

I started my application and I noticed they didn't have a personal statement section. Does anyone else see one? Also, I sent out my transcripts and my PCAT scores should have arrived at the school about a month ago but my status check says that nothing has been received. What gives?

I know about the references but I don't see the evaluation forms. Do they give you these forms after you apply and get an interview?

They don't require an essay or pharmacy experience.
Just went in for pre-advising today.
Here are what they look closely at
1. GPA (generally above 3.2. Last year's pool had avg of 3.5/3.6: general/Math&Science)
2. PCAT (all sections are preferably to be above 75. Last year avg PCAT was 82)
3. Community service (this needs to be consistent thorough several years)
4. 3 Letters of Rec, which is just the evaluation form.

I started my application and I noticed they didn't have a personal statement section. Does anyone else see one? Also, I sent out my transcripts and my PCAT scores should have arrived at the school about a month ago but my status check says that nothing has been received. What gives?

There's no personal statement in the application.

Even though you send in your transcripts and PCAT scores, nothing will show up as "received" until you finish everything in the application. After you finish, you print out the specified required stuff (i think sections 3,4,8,9?) and mail it in to UH. After that, it lets you know which items are received and which are not. This is speaking from experience :laugh:

As for the recommendation forms, there's a link to pdf files under the "recommendation" section of the online application.

Hope that helps!

Does anyone know if they would accept a personal statement even though it's not required?

I graduated with my bachelor's in bio a few years ago, but I was having fun and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life so my grades suffered. Since I graduated, I decided to pursue pharmacy. I had a few prereqs I needed to take and I've gotten A's in all of them.

On the UH app, you have to specifically enter in your grades for each of the prereq classes so it doesn't look too good since I didn't do very well in them. I was thinking of sending in a note with my app package explaining that I'm not the same student I was then, and I've done well in my classes since I decided to pursue pharmacy. Do you think this would be a good idea, or should I not even bother?

I wouldn't. I understand wanting to let them know your study habits have changed, but let your newer prereqs and your recommendation letters attest to the student you are. If you absolutely feel that you need to address the lessons that you've learned since undergrad and the ways you have changed, do so during your interview. I would focus on the positive points of your application, rather than spending time or drawing attention to the weaker.

Hi all,

Anyways... My situtation is that when I graduated high school, I was so dumb that I did not take college seriously... My grades sufferd.

About four years ago, I realized my time is ticking so I get my act together and enrolled myself to a local university instead of staying in a community college. I turned myself 180 degreee, for the last 4 years my accumulative GPA is around 3.88ish.

PCAT is another thing, I studied for PCAT last summer and I only score 65 accumulative. I was so bummed! I am retaking it this Oct 16, and I am scared to death. I really really want to get in to UHCOP. My second choice is UTCOP. What you guys think my chances are???? Any suggestions on what I have to do???:(:(:(:(:confused:

Thanks

UH really looks at your whole academic profile and analyzes it to see how your studying habits have changed over the years. Being able to pull off a 3.88 is definitely a big plus for you!!
As for PCAT they will look at how much your score has changed for each section when you retook. The first score will not count against you as well.

GOOD LUCK with your applications!!

Hi all,

Thanks

Hey LingeLing,

Thanks for your question. It's really difficult to gauge what a student's chances are for getting in. Each incoming class has a range of GPAs, PCAT scores, work experiences, backgrounds, etc. As you all may know, getting an interview and ultimately being accepted into the program stems far beyond just grades. It’s really a culmination of your life up until now. So don’t be bummed out or discouraged by anything! You all have worked ridiculously hard to get to where you are and each of you is unique in your own way. Keep your head up and keep fighting for this chance. Get good letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your character, study hard for the PCAT, take part in extracurriculars and community service, and most definitely review your application before submitting it to ensure there are no mistakes. Just don’t get bummed out or discouraged. Seashoreharmony laid out some criteria there for you all but in regards to GPA and PCAT scores, there are always exceptions and a good number of them in every class :)

Hi all,

Thank you for replying to my questions... I haven't had a chance to check this forum in a while...

Anyways, I just got an email from Uhcop for an invitation invitation!!! I am so excited!!! :):love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thank you for replying to my questions... I haven't had a chance to check this forum in a while...

Anyways, I just got an email from Uhcop for an invitation invitation!!! I am so excited!!! :):love:

Congrats! When did you submit your application out of curiosity? Does your status online still say submitted or did it change it something else?

Hi LongHornAtHeart,

I submitted my application around 11/2/2010. My status right now are all "submitted" other than the fall 2010 transcript.

Hi all,

I was wondering if the Jan 28 interview date is the first interview date? and also if there will be any on the spot essay during the interview day since they gave us an essay to do before the interview day?

They don't require an essay or pharmacy experience.
Just went in for pre-advising today.
Here are what they look closely at
1. GPA (generally above 3.2. Last year's pool had avg of 3.5/3.6: general/Math&Science)
2. PCAT (all sections are preferably to be above 75. Last year avg PCAT was 82)
3. Community service (this needs to be consistent thorough several years)
4. 3 Letters of Rec, which is just the evaluation form.

I plan on applying to UH in 1 and 1/2 years and as of now I have VERY little community service under my belt.

If I start now will I be alright? I would love to go to UH.

Hi LongHornAtHeart,

I submitted my application around 11/2/2010. My status right now are all "submitted" other than the fall 2010 transcript.

I submitted my application a few days before you and haven't been notified yet. Did UH already receive your PCAT score(s) and LORs before then?

January 28th is most likely the first interview date I imagine. You can read about the interview process in the thread from last year: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=680602.

I plan on applying to UH in 1 and 1/2 years and as of now I have VERY little community service under my belt.

If I start now will I be alright? I would love to go to UH.

I think you'll be fine if you start now. Get involved with your school activities too such as your Pre-Pharmacy club and/or APhA-ASP chapter.

I submitted my application a few days before you and haven't been notified yet. Did UH already receive your PCAT score(s) and LORs before then?

January 28th is most likely the first interview date I imagine. You can read about the interview process in the thread from last year: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=680602.

Hi LongHorn,

No... 11/2 is when I submitted the application electronically... As for the PCAT score is about 1.5 afterwards and LORS are much later than that (about 2 months afterwards i think?)

Hi all,

I was wondering if the Jan 28 interview date is the first interview date? and also if there will be any on the spot essay during the interview day since they gave us an essay to do before the interview day?

Hey Lingeling...CONGRATS on the interview :) Yes Jan 28th is the first interview date for UH, next one i believe is in the first week of februvary!!

Make sure you do your BEST with the pre-interview questionnaires, they really do read them and your interviewer will be reading it prior to your one-to-one interview. Also read it before the interview day because they might ask you to elaborate on something or may ask questions based on what you wrote in your questionnaire.
As far as i know, UH doesnt really ask to write any essays on the day of the interivew. Read over the interview feedback section on sdn, it will give you a good idea on what to expect on the interview day.
GOOD LUCK :luck:

Hi all,

Congrats! :)

Hi all,

Congratulations!
What I heard about U of H is that an interview is a very important factor. Good luck!

I wanted to revive this thread. Hope everyone is having a happy new year!

Does everything need to show as "complete" on the status check for you to get an interview?

I really wanted to apply to UH, but I could not complete the application since I do not have a pharmacist who knows me well enough to write a letter of recommendation.

How long after you mailed in your packet (signed forms/check) did they update your application status?

I mailed my packet in Certified mail on Monday 01/03 and everything in my documentation status still says NOT RECEIVED. I checked my tracking number and it doesn't say it's delivered yet? I live in Houston too.

Man this is stressful....

It initially took a long time for them to update my info. (a couple of weeks) After that, all my recommendations and transcripts were input pretty quickly.

Anyone else get an interview invitation yet? I'm wondering if the second batch of interviews have been sent out... :confused:

Does anyone know if it's really important to have put our full name and last 4 digits of SSN on the application fee check?

I mailed that check in along with the other required printed/signed materials and realized just now that I didn't write that info on the check... >_<

No it's not important to have your full name and last 4 digits of SSN on the check. I didn't include any of that info...as long as the check was part of your package, there should be no issue there. UH will also send you a confirmation email saying they received the check. Hope this helps!

Does anyone know if it's really important to have put our full name and last 4 digits of SSN on the application fee check?

I mailed that check in along with the other required printed/signed materials and realized just now that I didn't write that info on the check... >_<

You should be fine. It's just a safety measure. But for those who haven't sent in their checks yet, just be sure to include your full name and last 4 digits of your SSN on your check.

Thank you, armorking/Achilleus!

Good luck to everyone! *crossing fingers*

I'm trying to finish up the academic course resume part (section 8) and wondered if I still have to enter the core curriculum courses despite having a BS degree already. The footnote states that I would be "Exempt if core curriculum is complete at the time of enrollment to UH from another accredited public Texas college/university OR earned a baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited U.S. college/university." Yet, does this mean I don't have to list those courses in section 8? Anyone know?

I did list the courses anyways eventhough I had bach degree

Yea, I just went ahead and listed the courses. Better safe than sorry. And now finally submitted my application today. Now to mail my packet tomorrow. :)

Yea, I just went ahead and listed the courses. Better safe than sorry. And now finally submitted my application today. Now to mail my packet tomorrow. :)

Good luck man! Besure to use priority mail with delivery confirmation. You dont want to loose that check in the mail or let your application get lost :D

I submitted my application in November but my LOR weren't received until this month. Does this mean that I still have hope of getting an invite????

Do they send out straight rejections?

I submitted my application in November but my LOR weren't received until this month. Does this mean that I still have hope of getting an invite????

Do they send out straight rejections?

You definitely still have hope. The application deadline is a month from now. UH told me they interview people throughout the semester. They're interviewing application files as they become complete, and I submitted mine early so I could get an earlier interview date. I currently live out-of-state from Texas so wanted more time to plan my move.

I was invited to the Jan 28th interview.
So far we have only 2 candidates on that day, LingeLing and me?