Should I ask This Guy for an LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muffeoniv

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm volunteering at a hospital 3 times a week at night in the emergency room this year (not technically in college yet, but not in high school)... special program at harvard where you take 3 classes get a B then get into the extension school.. blah blah ill explain if you want)... anyway...

I volunteer 3 times a week at night in the emergency room and on wednesdays I do data entry for 6 hours. People have told me not do to it but I did it onthe first day and it was boring but....

The guy who is the head of the lab for the data entry is a really nice Indian man and at the end of the first day he was worried i was going to stop because it was too boring. He's had many people leave this spot because they didn't want to do it or was doing boring. They even had to pay someone to do it once because no volunteer wanted to do it. I don't want to let him down and I have the time to do this for him. Most people would not want to do this... I have to enter information from doctors, 100s of sheets of this. We get lunch halfway through the day together with people from the lab.

Should I bother getting an LOR from him at the end of the next 50 weeks?... will be heading off to boston after that. It's non-clinical, but I'm not sure if its anything worthy of an LOR.... my mom suggested quiting but I said no because I wanted to help the guy out he seems lonely and needs some help.

She said she thought that was noble of me lol.. should I ask the guy for an LOR after this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, ask for it if you want, but I doubt you'll ever use it.

Nearly all med schools want 2 letters from science professors you've taken a class with. Many also want a letter for a non-science professor you've taken a class with. Some also like a letter from the head of the research lab you volunteer/work at. A letter from an MD that knows you well can also be nice. However, many schools say they only want 3-5 letters. Any more than that may just annoy them. And, they don't typically value letters from people who don't have letters after their name (PhD or MD). Also, more recent letters are preferable. By the time you try to use this one, at least 3 years will have passed, and you might not be the same person anymore. I personally wouldn't bother, but you do sound like a good person for doing it! :)