John Peter Smith (JPS)/Tarrant Hospital Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derek

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that JPS the county facility in Fort Worth and soon to be Level I trauma center has been approved for a 3-year ACGME residency with 13-slots per year. Initial accreditation is for 3 years. Unclear when the first class will matriculate.

Members don't see this ad.

Should be an awesome program, good pathology, I don't know about the Level I but they see a lot as a level II. Good program staff. If you really want to learn it's a great place to apply. Again a new program so that must be considered.

As I'm scouting out possible places to apply to next year, I thought I read somewhere this program would start in 2011. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I'm scouting out possible places to apply to next year, I thought I read somewhere this program would start in 2011. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. I spoke with a source in the program and I was told that they have been approved but will not have their first class enter until 2011. I don't have a reason why 2011 instead of 2010. Unfortunately, applicants will not be able to go to JPS Hospital in 2010 as this place will have a great program, with a good amount of trauma and good pathology. The PD seems cool as well. Good luck to all next year who want to go to Forth Worth and don't mind being in a new program.

JPS is now a Level 1 trauma center. Although it is a 'new' program it will be using a lot of faculty who have experience teaching residents. The first intern class will start in 2011.

Jps is a new program accepting their first class in 2011 with 12 residents. Shift structure undetermined as of interview but likely not 12s as per the asst pd. They'd prefer shorter shifts to allow time for daily reading but the first class will have input on what length shifts will be offered. Level 1 trauma with Baylor-Dallas surgical residents. Unique trauma experience being discussed. They might form a fifth trauma team for the em residents. It would consist of a 5 th year surg res as the senior, a third or a second year initially em res as the junior and a first year em res as the intern. Busy 80k + volume Ed not counting the urgentcare/fast track stuff. >110k I believe with all total visits. Growing pains sure to be experienced but the head honchos in place seem up to the task. Pd from ut-Houston, asst pd from Arkansas, education director from utsw. 48k to start which goes a long way in fort worth, health insurance fully paid for by jps including all dependents. Moving allowance for outside tarrant county, good cme money, PDA allowance. Really the benefits are top notch. Considering/discussing third year electives in cushy locales, Hawaii, new Zealand, etc. Moonlighting encouraged and begins about half way through second year, with no caps from the dept as long as your performance doesn't suffer.

Anybody have any other thoughts on JPS? How has it stacked up to other programs? How big of an issue is the new program status when it comes to your ROL?

ROL
The city for each program played a big role in my list.
1. Baylor: Pros: I liked Houston a lot and grew up in and still have most of my family in the SW. I liked the residents. Faculty seemed cool and are from all over. I think I would like to end up in the SW when I'm done with residency. Ben Taub was nicer than I was expecting and the Texas Medical Center was impressive, some Peds EM at Texas Children's Hospital. 6 months of ICU. I'd get to work on my Spanish. Free lunch everyday while working in the ED. 8's during the week and 12's on weekends to allow for a weekend off a month while in the ED. (I've forgotten how many shifts- 20-22ish?)
Cons: Newer Program (In its first year). Houston Traffic. Moonlight starting 3rd year. Residents Pay for parking.
2.Univ. of TN- Chattanooga: Pros: I rotated here and like the faculty and the residents. No floor months (Peds or IM). About 5 ICU months. Nice hospital, Nice ED. Free food + parking. Newer program (in it's 3rd year) but has a lot of support from the college of Medicine and Hospital- the Dean of the College of Med is an EP and the president elect of ACEP. Good "outdoor activities." Variety of good food- I've was pleasantly surprised. I'd be very happy to end up here, and thought about putting them number 1 but chose Houston over Chatt. 17 12's as an R1, 17 10's as R2, and 16 10's as an R3 (or something close to that).
Cons: Not a big city, although Nashville and Atlanta are close by (not a plus for me). Not a great place to fly out of- most flights take you to Nashville or Atl first. No family nearby.
3. JPS: Pros: Some of the faculty seemed pretty cool. Fort Worth seemed ok from what I saw during my 1 day visit. I like most of the curriculum- about 6 months of ICU. 1 mo of Cardiology is a plus in my book. Nice ED. Free food + parking. Good benefits package. Dallas nearby. This program could have gone lower on my list, but I like the city more than the ones below, and although the idea of being at a brand new program is a little scary it didn't scare me off. Also, it could be cool to be the senior-most resident in the ED on day 1 and not have 2 classes above to compete with for procedures and cool cases.
Cons: Brand New Program. Hard to get a feel for things because no residents to talk with. PD not at interview day. 2 months of Medicine. No Peds EM integrated into Adult EM months (this was the issue that most worried me, but the Assoc. PD said that they will see what the residents think and are working on some of the hospitals nearby but have nothing solid as of the time I interviewed. They do however, have 3 months of Peds EM- 1mo as an R2 and 2mo's as an R3 at Children's Hosp. of Dallas. Nothing R1 year).
4. Kansas City (KUMC): Pros: Nice people, Nice ED
Cons: 1 mo of Medicine + 1 mo of Peds, Newer program ( in 1st year), I think KC may be a bit colder or more snowy than what I'm looking for
5. Arkansas: Pros: Established program. Nice people. Newly built ED that was pretty nice. I believe an EM resident is involved in/runs all of the Traumas. A lot of moonlighting opportunities.
Cons: Little Rock. Residents give a lot of the lectures. 1 mo of Medicine at the VA (I think they may consider changing this?) 1 Month of Peds Flight experience (I think this is a combined EMS/Flight experience. You can opt out of the helicopter rides and do an additional month of PICU instead, but most people don't). All 12's (R1- 18, R2-17, R3- 16)
6. Christus Spohn: Pros: The beach. Good weather year round. Family is the only other program, so when you are off service you are working w/attendings. EM handles the all of the traumas (no surgery residents). No call, except for one service.. PICU, I think. Everything else is shift work. When on Trauma, it's 12 hr shifts. Moonlighting opportunites. 9 hr ED shifts (20/19/18 for R1/2/3). Weekly quizzes to go with reading (+/-) Free food + gated parking. Optional flight experience. 1 mo of Cardiology.
Cons: Older EDs. Level Two Trauma center (although they say they see plenty, plus no surgery residents to compete with). 1 mo of Neurology (they say it's beneficial, bc you're often consulting Neuro, good experience, etc.) 1 mo of Medicine
7. Emory: Pros: I rotated here for a month. I loved Emory (EUH, Emory Hospital- Midtown, etc) but wasn't a fan of Grady. Lots of sick pt.s at all of the EDs. At Grady, at the beginning/end of each shift the teams sort-of mini round on all of the pts. , it's brief (about 10 min max) and usually an attending, resident, and med student will share something cool that they saw or learned. Now have EMR. Some cool residents. The SICU month is supposed to put hair on your chest. During intern year (it may be during the first month in the ED) you get a month to cherry-pick procedures and can take some from the upper levels so that you get more comfortable and more experienced during that month. A lot of the faculty were very nice and the residents seem to like each other. I believe Emory gets the most NIH research money for EM. 8hr shifts during week, 12's on weekend to allow for 1 weekend off a month while in ED. Around 22 shifts a month(?).
Cons: Grady just wasn't really my style. Very crowded. Lots of pts on stretchers in the hallway, my 3rd year wheeled a pt to CT and then I took him to X-ray. A lot of the rooms don't have functioning ophthalmoscopes or otoscopes. Some of the labs didn't get drawn on a few pts. Very large class size (19, likely going up to 20). 1 mo of Medicine. ATL traffic. I'm also not a big fan of ATL and I think that colored my experience as well. I think it is a good program. Most of my mentors in EM went to Emory and they are awesome, that's one of the reasons why I wanted to check it out. I think when you come through the program you'll be very well prepared. 75% of the program is at Grady, 25% at Emory. Because of this and since I didn't like the city either, It had to be a lower ranking for me. I agree that Grady really is a place you should rotate at if you very interested in going there for residency. You'll find out if you like it or not during that month and they take heavily from those who have rotated (in one class, I think 18 of the 19 did a rotation there).
8. St. Louis (SLU): Pros: 1 mo of Tox + 1 mo of Burn Unit. St. Louis can be a violent city (trauma).
Cons: St. Louis can be a violent city. Small ED with lower pt census (I believe around 35K/yr). Interview day was a bit disorganized. Newer program (in it's 2nd year) 1 mo of Peds, IM, and Neuro. A couple of awkward interviews, although PD seemed cool. I also missed the pre-interview dinner and didn't get to meet some of the residents.
9. MS: Pros: A lot of moonlighting opportunities. Since it's a 4 yr program, they have room for all of the things that other programs pick only a few of (Cardio, Radiology, EKG, Tox, Ultrasound, Peds Sedation, TeleMedicine). Most of the resident were pretty cool.
Cons: 4 years is about 1 year too long for me. Jackson. 1 mo IM. 1st year is very off-service heavy, only 3 mos of EM (2 adult + 1 Peds).

The JPS program looks like it is one of the easier programs to match into if that should make a difference.

It is a new program, just started this past year.

Apparently most of the first year residents were either DO or FMG's from Carib schools. Only a couple of AMG in the class. I am sure this is because it is a new program, but probably easier to match into than others I would guess if you are a strong applicant.

I certainly don't want to intimidate anyone by clarifying this previous comment, but the first residency class is 11 AMGs [4 MDs and 7 DOs (4 from TCOM, the affiliated medical school in Ft Worth)], 0 FMGs from caribean schools, and 1 FMG from California who enrolled in a British medical school straight out of high school. The program ended up going 18 spots on its rank list the first year. Although no Caribean graduates matched this first year they are equally considered.

I used past posts about people’s thought on the programs on their rank order list to help formulate my own preferences in the programs I interviewed at so I thought I would pass my thoughts along about the programs on my ROL, now that all interviews are said and done. Be forewarned: I’m not very picky about where I do my training, so I ended up making a lot of decisions based on gut feeling and eccentric preferences.

1. JPS, Ft Worth: Really clicked with the faculty and residents. Hospital and program is very well funded and the EM program has a lot of pull and respect within the hospital. Really like the city for its size, low cost of living, and reasonable traffic volume. Almost all the training (except three months) is at their hospital.
2. Christiana, Delaware: Very well respected program that’s been around a long time. I did a rotation there and its clear that many of their residents are very strong. Has many of the same qualities I liked about JPS (strong and respected program within the hospital), but I grew up in the area and am hesitant to move back. Has two training sites that are 20 minutes apart.
3. Ohio State, Columbus, OH: Really liked a lot of the residents I met. Had trouble clicking with some of the faculty, but did get to sit in on a small group session with one of their younger faculty members leading who was a phenomenal educator. Columbus seems like an awesome town. Just a little hesitant about the separate training sites.
4. Summa, Akron, OH: The nicest cafeteria I’ve ever been to. New YMCA connected to the hospital. Maybe that shouldn’t have influenced me so much, but it did.
5. York, PA: I was really into the program director’s pride in having a strong sense of community in the program. I also thought their simulation and other educational programs sounded really engaging.
6. Baylor, Houston, TX: Assistant residency director (Tyson Pillow) was the most personable, fun, and candid person I met the entire interview trail. Would love to work under him.
7. Jefferson, Philadelphia, PA: Three different training sites, some of which appeared to be long commutes. Really cool neighborhood for the university hospital, but pricey. Awesome airway course included with the education.
8. Little Rock, Arkansas
9. CHRISTUS Spohn, Corpus Christi, TX: Program director seemed a bit awkward and not very personable, but the assistant program director and a lot of the other faculty seemed cool. Didn’t really click with any of the residents. Seemed like they have a cool simulation experience.
10. St. John’s, Detroit, MI
11. UTSW: Very cool residents. Did get the impression that their training experience was a bit skewed to free labor taking priority over education side of things. Clerkship director was very arrogant. Very insistent on his excellent clinical and educational abilities.
12. Metro/Clevland Clinic: Great reputation, but many of their residents seemed burnt out and dissatisfied. They were also the only place where the residents didn’t seem to hold their program director in especially high regard.
13. New York Hospital Queens: The fact that this is one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the US makes me think I’m going to have to use a translator way too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospitals/Facilities:
Tarrant County Hospital is where all your rotations take place but for Peds. Very clean, looks new. Level 1 hospital, only one besides Parkland in DFW area. Divided into Pods, mixture of rooms and curtains, no overcrowding, no hallway beds. One Pod devoted soley to Trauma. A fast track run by MLP picks up the BS during the day, trauma pod picks up the urgent care cases at night. Volume substantially over 100,000. Told at interviews there's an external urgent care nearby that siphons off even more BS, running to the healthy five digits of volume.

When I was there, only one ultrasound for the department. Never saw it get used once. Since then they've hired an US director and picked up another three. Questionable how many faculty are going will use 'em.

Free parking. Food provided in Caf which I never saw, McDonalds in building. Excellent nursing. NO SCUT. Never had any trouble admitting patients.

Epic is the EMR, currently the most used EMR in country and a personal favorite. Able to accsss outside records from any other hospital that also uses EPIC. Super easy documentation templates, ordering, lab look up.

Current schedule for residents is 18, 17, 16 10 hour shifts over a full months time. Works out to the lightest schedules for any other place I looked at. Get 20 days off a year plus days off for conferences. Faculty work 8 hour shifts.

Curriculum: It is currently a 3 year program with a very heavy emphasis on EM. A concern of new programs is how much you'll be scutted out to other departments, but Robinson has made from the start all rotations geared to EM. OB, you work up ob complaints in ED and get called up for babies. No knee surgeries for ortho, you're there for reductions and other EM procedures. No floor months. Two electives. Don't think you fly but I could be mistaken.

Residents: Several residents were almost overly enthusiastic about their program, but all in all seemed a solid regular group of folk. I rotated through the ED before their first class so I didn't really get a chance to see them well. One kinda weird thing about the interview day was a resident's urge to take us through a picture of each guy and tell their life story in painful long detail with bunch of awkard jokes.

Faculty and Administration:
+ Robinson, the PD, is just about one of the nicest and soft spoken guys around. Really seemed caring about his residents, extremely motivated to set up a good program. Kirk the assitant PD is cool as hell, way into MMA. Delaney the research director has been around forevere, published up and down every med journal, former Parkland Faculty.
- PD not well known in the ED community, nobody else I interviewed with had heard of him, not sure if that'll matter for job placement after.

Didactics:
My biggest concern for the program. The three lectures I saw while there were kinda really substandard. They've hired a bunch of new faculty though and maybe it'll improve now that residents have come in.

Pediatrics: Two months of Peds EM at hospital 50 miles away in Dallas, 1 month PICU. There's a train that runs direct from downtown FW to location.

Nickname for place is "Cow Town" and I really got that feel from the downtown. Didn't see any bars I liked or people to hang with. Got the feeling that interesting folk moved to Dallas. Learning later that the real social heart for young people is Magnolia Street, right near the hospital. One of the residents, kinda a hipster, said he's super stoked on the area and people and bicycled to work each day.

Conclusion: I liked this program. Not having winter would be nice. Got the feel that moonlighting could be lucrative in outside small towns. Would have really enjoyed training here, peaceful happy three years. Kinda concerned about name recognition afterwards but the field for EM's supposed to be wide open and a foot in the door of Texas would be useful.

Just wanted to correct a few factual errors and throw my .02 as a current resident here.

Hospitals/Facilities:
Tarrant County Hospital is where all your rotations take place but for Peds. Very clean, looks new. Level 1 hospital, only one besides Parkland in DFW area. Divided into Pods, mixture of rooms and curtains, no overcrowding, no hallway beds. One Pod devoted soley to Trauma. A fast track run by MLP picks up the BS during the day, trauma pod picks up the urgent care cases at night. (not necessarily true. the fast track is open 24 hours a day with mlp. there is also 12-16 hours of attending coverage there daily. No resident shifts there first two years, some monthly as a 3 to get a handle on dealing with low acuity complaints in the real world) if there were some in trauma, it was either that busy or the attending was bored on a slower day and chose to see some of those patients. Volume substantially over 100,000. Told at interviews there's an external urgent care nearby that siphons off even more BS, running to the healthy five digits of volume .

When I was there, only one ultrasound for the department. Never saw it get used once. Since then they've hired an US director and picked up another three. Questionable how many faculty are going will use 'em (younger faculty more comfortable with it and use it often. we have 7 now).

Free parking. Food provided in Caf which I never saw, McDonalds in building. Excellent nursing. NO SCUT (AMEN. our nurses and techs are awesome). Never had any trouble admitting patients.

Epic is the EMR, currently the most used EMR in country and a personal favorite. Able to accsss outside records from any other hospital that also uses EPIC. Super easy documentation templates, ordering, lab look up (Epic goes live May 5 2012).

Current schedule for residents is 18, 17, 16 10 hour shifts over a full months time (the shifts are actually 20, 18, 16 as you progress, all 10s (8+2 overlap). Works out to the lightest schedules for any other place I looked at (there are many with lighter schedules. i think we're in the middle of the road as far as monthly hours, 200 monthly, some offservice are higher). Get 20 days off a year plus days off for conferences (17 as an intern, 20 as a 2 or 3). Faculty work 8 hour shifts (faculty work 8 or 12 in the main ED. sometimes 10 in the above mentioned fast track area).

Curriculum: It is currently a 3 year program with a very heavy emphasis on EM. A concern of new programs is how much you'll be scutted out to other departments, but Robinson has made from the start all rotations geared to EM. OB, you work up ob complaints in ED and get called up for babies (there is actually a seperate entire area for OB triage/ED located next to L & D. You work in the ED/triage and manage acute pregger complaints, and deliver babies a few footsteps away). No knee surgeries for ortho, you're there for reductions and other EM procedures (yes, no surgery). No floor months (there is a little bit of floor duty, during your trauma month, you do have to deal with the admitted trauma surgery patients. No medicine wards though). Two electives (yes, 2 electives and one ICU selective). Don't think you fly but I could be mistaken (we are working on flight options currently, but will not be mandatory). I'll also add, 6 months ICU in 3 years, makes you crit care fellowship eligible ( year 1 - MICU, NICU. year 2- SICU, ICU selective. year 3 - PICU, ICU selective)

Residents: Several residents were almost overlyenthusiastic about their program, but all in all seemed a solid regular group of folk. I rotated through the ED before their first class so I didn't really get a chance to see them well. One kinda weird thing about the interview day was a resident's urge to take us through a picture of each guy and tell their life story in painful long detail with bunch of awkard jokes (i dont know who this was but i appreciate the feedback and will make sure we dont repeat this).

Faculty and Administration:
+ Robinson, the PD, is just about one of the nicest and soft spoken guys around. Really seemed caring about his residents, extremely motivated to set up a good program. Kirk the assitant PD is cool as hell, way into MMA. Delaney the research director has been around forevere, published up and down every med journal, former Parkland Faculty. (pick up rivers review, two faculty wrote chapters in it (Delaney and Coppola).
- PD not well known in the ED community, nobody else I interviewed with had heard of him, not sure if that'll matter for job placement after . (Dr. Robinson is the TCEP treasurer. Also the TCEP president Dr. Zenarosa is affiliated with our program through EMcare and we regularly speak with him. Dr. DeMoor is also on TCEP board of directors. Dr. Coppola is the ACEP Council Speaker. Dr. Delaney is well known through her extensive research).

Didactics:
My biggest concern for the program. The three lectures I saw while there were kinda really substandard. They've hired a bunch of new faculty though and maybe it'll improve now that residents have come in (Didactics have improved tremendously in our first year, IMO).

Pediatrics: Two months of Peds EM at hospital 50 (42) miles away in Dallas, 1 month PICU (you also do integrated Peds EM shifts 2-3 a month during your senior year. Hospital reimburses you .55 per mile each way, max of 500 for the month). There's a train that runs direct from downtown FW to location .

Nickname for place is "Cow Town" and I really got that feel from the downtown. Didn't see any bars I liked or people to hang with. Got the feeling that interesting folk moved to Dallas. Learning later that the real social heart for young people is Magnolia Street (Magnolia and also 7th st (by the med school - 3 miles away) are more young and social), right near the hospital. One of the residents, kinda a hipster, said he's super stoked on the area and people and bicycled to work each day (he is quite the character).

Conclusion: I liked this program. Not having winter would be nice. Got the feel that moonlighting could be lucrative in outside small towns (It is, speaking from nearby residents). Would have really enjoyed training here, peaceful happy three years. Kinda concerned about name recognition afterwards but the field for EM's supposed to be wide open and a foot in the door of Texas would be useful (only time can tell, but i feel extremely confident ill get the job i want when i graduate).

Last edited:
I have zero affiliation with the program, but I read this review and noted the comment about the PD not being known...

Looks like someone beat me to it; I am involved with TCEP and agree that JPS is VERY involved at the state level and at the national ACEP level. Dr Robinson seems like a super cool laid back guy and is involved with TCEP. I would not hesitate training under him!

"Dr. Robinson is the TCEP treasurer. Also the TCEP president Dr. Zenarosa is affiliated with our program through EMcare and we regularly speak with him. Dr. DeMoor is also on TCEP board of directors. Dr. Coppola is the ACEP Council Speaker."

I have interacted with the above folks and will say nothing but good things about them.

Any new info on JPS? How is it rotating there as a medical student?

Any new info on JPS? How is it rotating there as a medical student?
I didn't rotate there but did interview there, so caveat emptor in terms of completeness of info. I had a great time there, really liked the PD, and got along well with the faculty (whom you will meet a lot of, you do lots of short interviews here.) The program has an incredibly supportive hospital, amazing benefits before you even factor in the Fort Worth COL, plenty of time for moonlighting, a lot of it internal. It's a great program. The negatives aren't many. It's in Fort Worth, and that's where the majority of residents whom I spoke to live. If living in exurban TX is not your thing, don't apply. Probably secondary to that, most of the residents are products of that part of Texas and they want to continue to live there. They seemed like a really good group and they seemed happy. I thought the residents here had some of the best rapport with the nurses and staff in the ED just based on watching tour-providers interact with on-shift folks and that kind of thing. A lot of the nurses seemed genuinely happy to interact with residents whom they hadn't seen in a while, I thought that said a lot about the place. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't rotate there but did interview there, so caveat emptor in terms of completeness of info. I had a great time there, really liked the PD, and got along well with the faculty (whom you will meet a lot of, you do lots of short interviews here.) The program has an incredibly supportive hospital, amazing benefits before you even factor in the Fort Worth COL, plenty of time for moonlighting, a lot of it internal. It's a great program. The negatives aren't many. It's in Fort Worth, and that's where the majority of residents whom I spoke to live. If living in exurban TX is not your thing, don't apply. Probably secondary to that, most of the residents are products of that part of Texas and they want to continue to live there. They seemed like a really good group and they seemed happy. I thought the residents here had some of the best rapport with the nurses and staff in the ED just based on watching tour-providers interact with on-shift folks and that kind of thing. A lot of the nurses seemed genuinely happy to interact with residents whom they hadn't seen in a while, I thought that said a lot about the place. YMMV.
Thanks for the update!

New JPS intern here. We're in our July orientation month. I've had 4 shifts so far and I've already tubed two patients. These patients are sick and interns get to do many/all of the procedures depending on attending.... plus it's COUNTY, we do so many things ourselves, consult very little, and handle a tremendous volume. Private message me any questions about the program and/or post them to this review.

New JPS intern here. We're in our July orientation month. I've had 4 shifts so far and I've already tubed two patients. These patients are sick and interns get to do many/all of the procedures depending on attending.... plus it's COUNTY, we do so many things ourselves, consult very little, and handle a tremendous volume. Private message me any questions about the program and/or post them to this review.

I apologize if this is not a relevant question:

I've heard only great things about JPS, and one of the things that usually stands out is the # of procedures you get to do. I've also read up on the FM residency at JPS- one of their bigger drawing points that is pointed out on SDN and their website (besides faculty) is the number of procedures they get to do as well. Would you say that the FM and EM programs coexist well together, or is there tension between the two with FM trying to get in their procedures? I guess I'm trying to see if there are enough patients and procedures to go around... I hope this makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I apologize if this is not a relevant question:

I've heard only great things about JPS, and one of the things that usually stands out is the # of procedures you get to do. I've also read up on the FM residency at JPS- one of their bigger drawing points that is pointed out on SDN and their website (besides faculty) is the number of procedures they get to do as well. Would you say that the FM and EM programs coexist well together, or is there tension between the two with FM trying to get in their procedures? I guess I'm trying to see if there are enough patients and procedures to go around... I hope this makes sense

Assuredly relevant.

The FM and EM programs get along great in the ED. FM residents get to do several months in the ICU and ED, but I have yet to experience a FM resident nudging me out of the way for a procedure. JPS is also the kind of place where if this ever became an issue, it would be dealt with swiftly and effectively.

The focus is definitely on getting the EM interns to do procedures EARLY and OFTEN. A good rule of thumb from some of our uppers is that interns should be proficient at ED-based procedures by the end of 1st year.

In terms of volume, there is no shortage of sick patients. It is county and we see 113k+ patients a year in the ED (more than Hennepin and Grady.) On the busiest of days, there are 400 patients who come through. It is an unfortunate situation due to the patients' acuity, but we get to help them by delivering the best care available.

Necessary and instructive.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that dude with the long grey hair from ut Houston still your pd? I know I'm real specific here lol, but you guys know who I'm talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that dude with the long grey hair from ut Houston still your pd? I know I'm real specific here lol, but you guys know who I'm talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a resident at JPS, but yes, Dr. Robinson is the PD at JPS.

Dr. Robinson is an awesome guy. He really sold me on this program. Dr. Leuck (of Carolinas and APD at JPS) is now the Program Director. She's made this transition into intern year very smooth and I'm very excited to work under her. Dr. Robinson, a past TCEP president, is still very involved and has an informatics and administrative position with the hospital now.

Are there any DO residents at JPS currently? I searched online but cannot find a list of current residents

JPS resident here. Rank lists are due in late February, so we invite you to post or DM questions about our awesome residency program. Thank you and good luck.

JPS resident here. Rank lists are due in late February, so we invite you to post or DM questions about our awesome residency program. Thank you and good luck.

M3 here looking into EM away rotations this summer and fall. I apologize if this is already somewhere else in the forum, but does JPS Hospital EM Program offer a SLOE to visiting M4s? Thanks!

Yes, they will write you a SLOE.

And JPS will take visiting students in July! I loved my rotation here. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I was fortunate enough to match at my top choice, JPS, this past year and after 4 months of residency, I am loving it! After the chaos of interview season, it was helpful to revisit these forums and talk with those who either rotated at or were residents at my top choices. If anyone has any questions at all about this program feel free to send me an inbox message and I will do my best to reply promptly!

Reactions: 2 users
I second NineOneOneDoc's offer above. I am a second year resident.

JPS is a high-acuity, high-volume, Level 1 trauma center and primary hospital for Tarrant County (1.9 million pop).

I'm so glad I chose JPS. It's been an unreal experience here. DM with questions. We are here to help answer anything.

Looking for updated reviews on this as well, more in-depth if possible, thank you! Trying to compare against UTSW. Sorry for bumps

DM with specific questions. Will try to get back to you within 24-48 hrs.

I am still around this year if anyone has specific questions about the program since rank list submission is just around the corner. Feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
I am still around this year if anyone has specific questions about the program since rank list submission is just around the corner. Feel free to PM me.
What is yalls current shift schedules on EM months? How many shifts? How long are the shifts? Do you have time for documentation at the end?

What is yalls current shift schedules on EM months? How many shifts? How long are the shifts? Do you have time for documentation at the end?

We are on 1 month cycles (not 28 days). We do 21 shifts as interns, 20 as PGY-2 and 18 as PGY-3. As a PGY-2 and 3 you will do 2 of those shifts at the children's hospital (so 16 at JPS, 2 at Children's for a PGY-3). Shifts for interns are 8 hours of seeing new patients with 2 hours at the end dedicated to wrapping up patients and finishing notes. For PGY-2 and 3 it is an 8 hour shift with 1 hour at the end to wrap things up. All levels of training are given access to M-Modal dictation software to help with documentation efficiency on shift.

Hey y'all! current JPS PGY3 here! Writing to reopen this post for those interested in JPS! My experience here has been top-notch and could not have asked for a better program to whip me into shape! JPS as a hospital system itself embodies the values that got me, and many others, into medicine, and it's EM program is leading the frontlines! For example, we were recently awarded the #1 hospital by Washington Monthly as we excel in facets that actually matter- community and patient-focused categories- such as outcomes, efficiency, utilization and the ability to give quality care to many with no other option (JPS Named Top Hospital in America by Washington Monthly | JPS Health Network). In fact, Fort Worth is known as a safe haven for the homeless and we have many initiatives in aiding the less fortunate and are at the forefront of Street Medicine!

The highlight of our training is definitely the months you get to spend in the ED. You can look at any statistics and will find that you will not have to worry about a paucity of volume and acuity. If you get through this program, you will be ready for anything. Trust me- I was the timid type that didn't want to step on anyone's toes or get in the way when I first started (I know, how was I driven towards EM in the first place?), but after making it this far, I am so much more confident and feel like I can lead resuscitations like a boss. I know most programs boast about their resident cohesiveness, but I for one know that my class shares a bond like no other. In the pre-corona virus times, we were always hanging out, grabbing food or drinks, attending birthday celebrations and baby showers, biking/cross-fitting with each other, exploring the area, baby/dog-sitting for one another, etc. Also, residents have so much sway on the direction of our program and our leadership really makes moves for us! For example, we revamped our didactic curriculum based on resident feedback and learning theory, increased our class size from 13 to 15 as there are just so many patients and learning opportunities to share, employed self-scheduling so that everyone can have a more personalized calendar, and now we have an up and running community rotation at Baylor-Irving to get a different perspective from a county program (and it's great from personal experience)! As you can see, I am really proud of the growth and direction of this program and am happy to address any questions or concerns, so feel free to post here or DM me!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all! current JPS PGY3 here! Writing to reopen this post for those interested in JPS! My experience here has been top-notch and could not have asked for a better program to whip me into shape! JPS as a hospital system itself embodies the values that got me, and many others, into medicine, and it's EM program is leading the frontlines! For example, we were recently awarded the #1 hospital by Washington Monthly as we excel in facets that actually matter- community and patient-focused categories- such as outcomes, efficiency, utilization and the ability to give quality care to many with no other option (JPS Named Top Hospital in America by Washington Monthly | JPS Health Network). In fact, Fort Worth is known as a safe haven for the homeless and we have many initiatives in aiding the less fortunate and are at the forefront of Street Medicine!

The highlight of our training is definitely the months you get to spend in the ED. You can look at any statistics and will find that you will not have to worry about a paucity of volume and acuity. If you get through this program, you will be ready for anything. Trust me- I was the timid type that didn't want to step on anyone's toes or get in the way when I first started (I know, how was I driven towards EM in the first place?), but after making it this far, I am so much more confident and feel like I can lead resuscitations like a boss. I know most programs boast about their resident cohesiveness, but I for one know that my class shares a bond like no other. In the pre-corona virus times, we were always hanging out, grabbing food or drinks, attending birthday celebrations and baby showers, biking/cross-fitting with each other, exploring the area, baby/dog-sitting for one another, etc. Also, residents have so much sway on the direction of our program and our leadership really makes moves for us! For example, we revamped our didactic curriculum based on resident feedback and learning theory, increased our class size from 13 to 15 as there are just so many patients and learning opportunities to share, employed self-scheduling so that everyone can have a more personalized calendar, and now we have an up and running community rotation at Baylor-Irving to get a different perspective from a county program (and it's great from personal experience)! As you can see, I am really proud of the growth and direction of this program and am happy to address any questions or concerns, so feel free to post here or DM me!
Just wanted to say I'm glad you had a good experience at JPS. I'm still on my pre-med journey but I very recently left my IT position at JPS and did a lot of stuff around the entire network in my time there.

good luck with the chief year.

Just wanted to ask how you feel the peds exposure has been?