University of Rochester Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabasco

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Buffalo and Rochester

Buffalo- It was their first interview day for the year. PD very nice, relaxed, low key. Went to tour two hospitals which are their primary sites. both relatively old, there are talks about refurbishing but nothing happening yet. They have some impressive research - we were shwown some of their transportation injury research, regarding injury to the driver due to unbelted passenger in the back. Thay have an amazing ultrasound program, taught by he guy who wrote the book on US in ED. Very interesting telemedicine program for all the prisons in NY state. Residents seemed nice and happy with the program. One of the interviews was a bit odd, with the lady somewhat fixated on the chronology of some of my CV stuff - quite unusual and complicated, indeed, but irrelevant to the app. Interesting question: What do you think is the most signifuicant challenge facing EM? Lots of why EM, of course - getting tired of that one - and of where do you see yourself in five years. I'm still wondering what they are trying to get out of me. Let me know if you figure out, anyone.

Rochester - nice city, safe, low traffic, low value real estate, half an hour to lake Ontario, lots of snow. Very, very informal presentations in the resident's lounge, by the chief of the dpt - only woman I met in this position and by the PD. New ED, very large - to 100K/yer, expanding, awsome curricullum, basically no floors, all directed to EM residents learning. Nice progression of responsibilities throughout the three years, very supportive environment for residents, flexible and responsive to their needs. Residents were nice too, very low key, great bantering in between them, lots of fun. I really liked this place. Oh, interesting question: What's the most extravagant thing you've ever done? Interviewers very nice, down to earth, no stress. Of course, why EM and where do you see youself in five years...

That's it for now. Baystate, anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Interview: Chillest interview on the trail. 3 blinded and 1 open interview with the PD. PD thoroughly reads your application, really gets to know you this way which leads to very personal questions. Warmest, most genuine PD on the trail. After talking with her you honestly feel like she will pull you through any difficult time during residency. If interview is any indication of how she treats her residents then its just a matter of time until she gets PD of the year.

Residents: The coolest, funnest, most laidback bunch I have met on the interview trail. Unfortunately was unable to make it to dinner but, during the lunch there was the biggest showing of residents I have seen. After talking with them for bout 30 minutes, they then gave a presentation about Rochester, which was hilarious. Really was able to see the dynamics and interactions with each other. Seems like a really tight knit fun group. Lots of playful trash talking back and forth.

Faculty: Seems like a very young group. Even the older faculty are very young at heart. Again the PD seemed amazing.

Facilities: Very nice. Where docs and nurses hang out in the ED is almost like being at the head of a bridge on a ship. Its in the center of the ED and you have to walk up 2 stairs to enter the "bridge". Have a 7 bed pod dedicated to trauma and med resus. This is where you spend most of your time as a 3rd yr. Have heli pad as well, so flying is an option.

Location: Very pretty chill, low key city. Lots of outdoors activities. Niagara about an hour away. Then you have the Catskills and the Adirondacks in NY. Will never be bored in your downtime if you like getting out.

Negatives: Patient population may be lacking. Told you get diverse pathology but trauma experience may be lacking if that's your thing. Also ED does not have admitting privileges. However, recently told that there have been some changes in this area. If you want patient admitted and service disagrees then they HAVE to come see the patient and discharge them. This change happen only a few days ago so residents unable to fully comment on it yet.

Other points: Good international opportunities all over with funding. If you know you want to end up in a certain region, you are encouraged to choose elective time in that area for networking. Wilderness medicine seems pretty big here. Also currently sending senior resident into CC fellowship. Expected to develop a presentable research project

Overall: Main selling point of the program are the people. PD does an amazing job in picking out a group of residents that all seem to click together. Feels like a place where you would go and have plenty of support through the difficult times of residency. I got a good feel here and the program def moved up on my list after interviewing

BUMP: can anyone comment on UofR who has recently completed or is now attending residency here?

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP: can anyone comment on UofR who has recently completed or is now attending residency here?

I can't speak to the residency at all. I'm in med school down in the Hudson Valley now, but I'm a Rochester native. Rochester is a beautiful city, but can get very cold in the winter (obviously). Wegmans is the main attractant, everyone LOVES Wegmans, and you would too if you had the opportunity to shop there for groceries. UofR just made a cutesie college town for their undergraduate campus but a lot of people in the hospital go there. It's nice, it's a 1 minute drive from the hospital with a really nice Steak House, Starbucks, Burger Bar, etc etc. Lots of nice gyms in the area, Midtown (High end in Pittsford-Brighton area), LA Fitnesses are good. Beach in the summer is really nice (but we tend not to go in the water lol). There's a ton of parks throughout the city such as Mendon Ponds, Durand Eastman park, Genessee Valley Park, and other various places.

Highly recommend :)

I graduated from University of Rochester relatively recently. I thought the training was great, got to see lots of pathology and have the appropriate amount of freedom. Plenty of trauma. Receiving facility for tons of sub specialties so you get familiar with all sorts of stuff like transplant medicine, LVADs, onc stuff, etc. Attendings and co-residents were really great, which I think can make or break your residency experience. If going through this process again, I would choose this program again. Winters are tough so I didn’t stay in the area. Jobs are easy to find anywhere and I felt prepared for attendinghood after graduating from here.

I graduated from University of Rochester relatively recently. I thought the training was great, got to see lots of pathology and have the appropriate amount of freedom. Plenty of trauma. Receiving facility for tons of sub specialties so you get familiar with all sorts of stuff like transplant medicine, LVADs, onc stuff, etc. Attendings and co-residents were really great, which I think can make or break your residency experience. If going through this process again, I would choose this program again. Winters are tough so I didn’t stay in the area. Jobs are easy to find anywhere and I felt prepared for attendinghood after graduating from here.

Thank you so much for the honest assessment! From an academic standpoint do you think this program would prepare you for a career in teaching (i.e. research opportunities, fellowship opportunities, and faculty appointments?).