Best program in TX (after UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superhero16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone trying to get into a competitive fellowship, anyone have an opinion on this?

Members don't see this ad.

For someone trying to get into a competitive fellowship, anyone have an opinion on this?

Probably Baylor would be the next, though they've lost a little in their general perception that last few years with some of their "struggles", which as I understand it have been fixed. Then from an academic stand-point probably UT San Antonio or I'd listen to arguments about UT Houston. I would like to mention A&M, as a I always do, because I think they are kind of a diamond in the rough.

I just don't know about living in temple. What struggles are you talking about with baylor? And where do you think methodist houston stands?

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor, I'm not sure how great that is anymore. They don't really have their own hospital...all they have is: VA, St. Lukes (all run by privates), Ben Taub....But I guess it's "Baylor"

I am at UT Houston...lots of work, scut....not much teaching...the program director was replaced, hopefully it will change...but overall I would say not supportive of their residents, not interested in education of their residents....this goes generally for the faculty and the higher ups. A lot of faculty has left, and other are in the process of leaving. Some have personal reasons, others because the faculty also feels they are overworked and not able to contribute to the education of the residents....ironic

UT houston may be good for you depending on which fellowship you want....they take a lot of their own residents for Cards, GI,....

Baylor, I'm not sure how great that is anymore. They don't really have their own hospital...all they have is: VA, St. Lukes (all run by privates), Ben Taub....But I guess it's "Baylor"

I am at UT Houston...lots of work, scut....not much teaching...the program director was replaced, hopefully it will change...but overall I would say not supportive of their residents, not interested in education of their residents....this goes generally for the faculty and the higher ups. A lot of faculty has left, and other are in the process of leaving. Some have personal reasons, others because the faculty also feels they are overworked and not able to contribute to the education of the residents....ironic

UT houston may be good for you depending on which fellowship you want....they take a lot of their own residents for Cards, GI,....

Do you mind commenting on UTH's Neurology program, if you have any knowledge about it please? Thanks.

Probably Baylor would be the next, though they've lost a little in their general perception that last few years with some of their "struggles", which as I understand it have been fixed. Then from an academic stand-point probably UT San Antonio or I'd listen to arguments about UT Houston. I would like to mention A&M, as a I always do, because I think they are kind of a diamond in the rough.

I don't know what rocks you all have been hiding under, but how sadly wrong you are. I'll make my case and say it once.

Let's clear up some misconceptions about what has been said. First, the title of this thread already leads one to believe that the OP has this preconceived notion that UTSW is the place to be in TX... um, yes its a goodplace, but so is San Antonio, Temple, Houston (UT and Baylor) and UTMB, etc. Please provide some OBJECTIVE evidence that UTSW stands out as some amazing program when compared to the others listed(and please leave USNEWS because that ranks medical schools, not residency programs).

Second, what is this whole "Baylor's perception is not what it was". I mean, if you are honestly going to pick a program based on perception, then you have much bigger problems to worry about! Baylor STILL has some of the best clinicians and researchers in the world. There residents rotate at St. Lukes, Ben Taub, DeBakey VA, and depending on the program, MD Anderson and Methodist (YES, there is still an affiliation! albeit minor)

Okay, now about UT Houston. So the program director went from being the IM PD to the MedPeds PD! So sure, "technically" he was replaced, but he basically switched hats to run the MedPeds part. Education? firefly is under a rock if he/she thinks there's no teaching. UTH have exposure to arguably one of the most diverse experiences a resident can get during training. They rotate at FOUR different hospitals: Memorial Hermann (great hospital), St Lukes (also a fantastic hospital, with rotations at Texas Heart), UT MD Anderson hospital (Need I say more) and HCHD's LBJ General Hospital (County, low income, uninsured). Aside from that, there are scheduled educational meetings/conferences/lectures in the IM program and just about every subspecialty service, so no matter which service you're on, there IS education going on. Now, if you choose to zone out, then perhaps your experience might be that of "no education".

And if that doesn't change your mind, UT and Baylor are located in the Texas Medical Center. You know, the largest conglomeration of hospitals and research complexes in the world? So you want to get involved in research at The Methodist Hospital, where they have the latest technology in Robotic surgery, or the famed DeBakey Heart and Vascular Institute? Um, walk across the street and try to set up a research opportunity. Want to do heme-onc, go over to MD Anderson and do the same. Better yet, when you're working at LBJ with one of the fellows/faculty, ask them how you can get involved. Want to do cards? When you're rotating at Texas Heart, get to know some of the faculty and fellows and get involved. Hermann also has their Heart and Vascular Institute, where some of their faculty also do research there and/or at THI. And there are much more research opportunities in the medical center. In another words, there is a lot of collaboration among the different institutions! You can't get that in Dallas, sorry!

Haha, so the bottom line? You all need to stop worrying so much about perception and start worrying more about opportunity. I'm not about to go into the "South TMC" (San Antonio) or UTMB, but suffice it to say you will get good training and have good fellowship opportunities at any of these institutions.

But more importantly, it's what YOU do. You have to put in the work. If you go to MGH and are a lazy ass, then you'll likely become a lazy doctor from MGH with little fellowship opportunity based on the PDs letter which would reflect your character/performance. Realistically, it's much more likely that they'd recognize your lack of work ethic and fire you, but who knows.

That is all.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
What's so incredibly annoying about this response, and just about all of the other butthurt responses I've heard on here lately about "rankings" is that you seem to think that if someone says SWern is the number one academic program in Texas, that means that every other program is crap. That's some stupid strawman thinking there and you get the prize for being a knee-jerking, over-reactive clown.

As far as academic rep on a national basis SWern is the #1 place to be in Texas, but obviously not the only place in Texas, and it doesn't mean that Baylor isn't very good. Baylor had some issues, and even if it's all good and all cleared up, you cannot downplay how that affects perception. If it were a perfect world . . . and if wishes were horses beggars would ride. Can't change the practical realities of those perceptions.

I don't know what rocks you all have been hiding under, but how sadly wrong you are. I'll make my case and say it once.

Let's clear up some misconceptions about what has been said. First, the title of this thread already leads one to believe that the OP has this preconceived notion that UTSW is the place to be in TX... um, yes its a goodplace, but so is San Antonio, Temple, Houston (UT and Baylor) and UTMB, etc. Please provide some OBJECTIVE evidence that UTSW stands out as some amazing program when compared to the others listed(and please leave USNEWS because that ranks medical schools, not residency programs).

Second, what is this whole "Baylor's perception is not what it was". I mean, if you are honestly going to pick a program based on perception, then you have much bigger problems to worry about! Baylor STILL has some of the best clinicians and researchers in the world. There residents rotate at St. Lukes, Ben Taub, DeBakey VA, and depending on the program, MD Anderson and Methodist (YES, there is still an affiliation! albeit minor)

Okay, now about UT Houston. So the program director went from being the IM PD to the MedPeds PD! So sure, "technically" he was replaced, but he basically switched hats to run the MedPeds part. Education? firefly is under a rock if he/she thinks there's no teaching. UTH have exposure to arguably one of the most diverse experiences a resident can get during training. They rotate at FOUR different hospitals: Memorial Hermann (great hospital), St Lukes (also a fantastic hospital, with rotations at Texas Heart), UT MD Anderson hospital (Need I say more) and HCHD's LBJ General Hospital (County, low income, uninsured). Aside from that, there are scheduled educational meetings/conferences/lectures in the IM program and just about every subspecialty service, so no matter which service you're on, there IS education going on. Now, if you choose to zone out, then perhaps your experience might be that of "no education".

And if that doesn't change your mind, UT and Baylor are located in the Texas Medical Center. You know, the largest conglomeration of hospitals and research complexes in the world? So you want to get involved in research at The Methodist Hospital, where they have the latest technology in Robotic surgery, or the famed DeBakey Heart and Vascular Institute? Um, walk across the street and try to set up a research opportunity. Want to do heme-onc, go over to MD Anderson and do the same. Better yet, when you're working at LBJ with one of the fellows/faculty, ask them how you can get involved. Want to do cards? When you're rotating at Texas Heart, get to know some of the faculty and fellows and get involved. Hermann also has their Heart and Vascular Institute, where some of their faculty also do research there and/or at THI. And there are much more research opportunities in the medical center. In another words, there is a lot of collaboration among the different institutions! You can't get that in Dallas, sorry!

Haha, so the bottom line? You all need to stop worrying so much about perception and start worrying more about opportunity. I'm not about to go into the "South TMC" (San Antonio) or UTMB, but suffice it to say you will get good training and have good fellowship opportunities at any of these institutions.

But more importantly, it's what YOU do. You have to put in the work. If you go to MGH and are a lazy ass, then you'll likely become a lazy doctor from MGH with little fellowship opportunity based on the PDs letter which would reflect your character/performance. Realistically, it's much more likely that they'd recognize your lack of work ethic and fire you, but who knows.

That is all.

...As far as academic rep on a national basis SWern is the #1 place to be in Texas...

well, may be in your perfect world it is, but now join the real world and back it up with some evidence. in the meantime keep telling yourself that, because if it makes you feel better then i think we've accomplished something!

well, may be in your perfect world it is, but now join the real world and back it up with some evidence. in the meantime keep telling yourself that, because if it makes you feel better then i think we've accomplished something!

Are you ******ed? Don't answer that question because it is rhetorical. It's NOT my perfect world. In fact, the world is apparently run by a bunch of fools. I merely have the misfortune of having to live here. It's not my fault that in spite of all of the positive points you've made about Baylor or UT-Houston, that nationally, SWern is recognized as the #1 academic program in texas. It' doesn't make me feel better, because I could not give a flying rat's ass which dog wins that fight. I'm merely laying out the situation as it currently stands. I kind of think it is you that is on here posting to feel better. I sarcastically applaud your feeble efforts and lawl.

1115466316c7b31948e61111279339c0.gif

nice pic... anyways, based on your obsessive posts about rankings of various programs, yeah i think you do care who wins. only problem is that i don't think you really have a clue 'cause you're too busy running your mouth, er, keyboard... all 12,000 times and counting! it's unfortunate for people coming to this forum looking for some real guidance.

... SWern is recognized as the #1 academic program in texas...

see, there, i inserted your quote so you can see it again... take it in, gotta love it! haha

nice pic... anyways, based on your obsessive posts about rankings of various programs, yeah i think you do care who wins. only problem is that i don't think you really have a clue 'cause you're too busy running your mouth, er, keyboard... all 12,000 times and counting! it's unfortunate for people coming to this forum looking for some real guidance.

see, there, i inserted your quote so you can see it again... take it in, gotta love it! haha

I'm not obsessive about rankings in the least. I merely pointing out what is the generally accepted gestalt with regards to how academic programs are regarded. You are the one obsessed with rankings. Anyone can go back through your post history and see you tried to start this same crap before match, and also spent some time running your mouth in rads forum. Weren't cool enough to match into rads, and now have a stick up your rear about IM? It's the same stupid argument that you've been owned on before and you're trying to start it again. I don't give a **** if SWern or Baylor is number one. It doesn't matter what I think. What matters is the real perception of the rest of the country and the perception, whether actually in truth or not, is that SWern is the number one academic program. And the number two academic program in Texas by general perception is Baylor. I fail to see why this bothers you so much.

it doesn't, but you (and anybody else that claims the same) have failed to provide any evidence proving your point! it's not the baylor v utsw duo i'm debating. i'm just asking he question, "says who?" an underground unofficial ranking of which i am unaware? didn't you say in one of your other posts i read something like "back it up, son, bull**** walks!"

regardless, you can't back it up. and speaking of rads, data from a few years back showed that utsw is not the "top academic program" for rads residency in tx, at least as ranked by NIH grants. please see: J Am Coll Radiol. 2005 May;2(5):436-43 for evidence of that.

already, you're statement is wrong.

want more? Here's a listing of NIH grants of Medicine programs from the same year showed Baylor on top http://www.residentphysician.com/Medicine_rankings.htm

hmm, so where's your evidence?

well i suspect your next post will be another attempt at a clever response in which you try and make yourself feel better by taking a couple personal jabs at my post and then inserting:

...SWern is the number one academic program...

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding IM, Baylor does not got to Methodist or MDA. Some other specialties do rotate there, that is correct, but not IM. Methodist has its own small IM program.

At UT, the facts remain, the PD was replaced, after many many years of running both Med-Peds and IM he now was suddenly unable to do both? He did not switch to run Med-Peds, he was running both before, and did so for a long time.

The fact still remains that a lot of faculty have left, and others are on their way out. In general the attendings are not interested in teaching. We do have exposure to a diverse population, I never said we didn't, what we don't have are faculty who have the education of residents as their priority. That truly is a shame, because of the great population that is accessible.

Of course conferences are scheduled, as they are in every program because there are ACGME requirements as to the number of "educational" hours that are needed, thank god for that, otherwise knowing UT we would get NO education. This mandatory ACGME requirement obviously is not enough, as is evidenced by the poor board pass rates, of UT residents: 84%, the lowest in Texas for programs over 100 residents, and the lowest in the country for programs over 100 residents. I guess that explains last year why all the 3rds years were called in for a mandatory meeting, telling them they were not ready for the boards if they had not scored xx% on the inservice exam.

http://www.abim.org/pdf/pass-rates/residency-program-pass-rates.pdf

They are trying to make positive changes, hopefully the new PD will be successful in creating an atmosphere that places importance on education, and not only service.

Regarding Neurology, can't say much, we recently started to rotate in Neurology for a month because the inservice exam scores were horrible in Neurology. From what I've heard from the other IM residents, its a "chill month". Don't know much else.

Last edited:
Do Baylor IM residents really get the opportunity to rotate through MD Anderson even though it's affiliated with UT Houston? Are there any Baylor residents or interviewees that can attest to this?

For those interested in Oncology...would it be more advantageous to go to UTH, Baylor, or UTSW?

And everyone is citing NIH funding, but no resident will have the time to tap into that money unless they take time off. A one month research elective will rarely involve working on a project (dare I say completing one) that requires NIH money...but probably just do a retrospective chart analysis...so i'm not sure why people are so caught up on NIH funding.

How can we determine where TEACHING is the strongest? Where residents are happiest? Where residents truly get opportunities to pursue their academic/research interests?

btw JDH..always a fan of your posts they're packed with great info!

Do Baylor IM residents really get the opportunity to rotate through MD Anderson even though it's affiliated with UT Houston? Are there any Baylor residents or interviewees that can attest to this?

For those interested in Oncology...would it be more advantageous to go to UTH, Baylor, or UTSW?

And everyone is citing NIH funding, but no resident will have the time to tap into that money unless they take time off. A one month research elective will rarely involve working on a project (dare I say completing one) that requires NIH money...but probably just do a retrospective chart analysis...so i'm not sure why people are so caught up on NIH funding.

How can we determine where TEACHING is the strongest? Where residents are happiest? Where residents truly get opportunities to pursue their academic/research interests?

btw JDH..always a fan of your posts they're packed with great info!

Baylor IM does not go to Methodist or MDA. I'm sure if you wanted you could try to arrange an away elective. If you want to do Onc, I can't say which place is the best. MDA takes about 1 person a year from UT, and its usually a chief resident, although last year we did have someone get in who was not a chief, in addition to the chief. :) Compared to other fellowships, MDA does not routinely take "it's own" like do Cards, Gi...

I guess the only way to figure all that out would be to talk to residents when you are on your interviews?

Are you having trouble with your listening, comprehending, or both?

There is no formal ranking. We've been over this a 1000 times. There is kind of general consensus in the collective consciousness. Don't ask me where it comes form, but it matters. Perception matters in this game. If most people think SWern is the #1 academic program in texas, then everything else is really irrelevant, including the number of NIH grants.

Who cares about radiology rankings? You're posting in IM clown. Furthermore, everyone knows that there is not ONE top place for everything, and this ebbs and flows.

it doesn't, but you (and anybody else that claims the same) have failed to provide any evidence proving your point! it's not the baylor v utsw duo i'm debating. i'm just asking he question, "says who?" an underground unofficial ranking of which i am unaware? didn't you say in one of your other posts i read something like "back it up, son, bull**** walks!"

regardless, you can't back it up. and speaking of rads, data from a few years back showed that utsw is not the "top academic program" for rads residency in tx, at least as ranked by NIH grants. please see: J Am Coll Radiol. 2005 May;2(5):436-43 for evidence of that.

already, you're statement is wrong.

want more? Here's a listing of NIH grants of Medicine programs from the same year showed Baylor on top http://www.residentphysician.com/Medicine_rankings.htm

hmm, so where's your evidence?

well i suspect your next post will be another attempt at a clever response in which you try and make yourself feel better by taking a couple personal jabs at my post and then inserting:

This thread has become ridiculous. I'll put my foot in the door then quickly run away.

No question that UTSW is most highly regarded medicine program in Texas. Arguing that point only shows ignorance on the topic. Is it the place for everyone? No. Are there other good programs in Texas? Yes Can any of these things ever truly be quantified? No.

As far as runners up, traditionally it was Baylor, but I have heard some argue that San Antonio is surpassing or has surpassed Baylor. After those, probably UT Houston and Scott and White.

Edit: I'll add that, on the other hand, neuro at UTSW leaves much to be desired, especially in comparison to the medicine program (I'd venture to say neuro is among the weakest programs at UTSW).

jeezus christ. talk about visciousness. to at least make this thread helpful to somebody, i can give some insight from a baylor resident. i don't even wanna debate who is better, utsw vs baylor. i think that's been going on for decades anyways.

as far as from medicine standpoint, no we as medicine residents do NOT rotate heme/onc at md anderson. actually, we don't rotate through md anderson for anything. we rotate through ben taub, va and lukes. we do all our general medicine wards and units at either ben taub or va. we do subspecialty consults or ambulatory at lukes.

now if you were a subspecialty fellow, then yes they do rotate through methodist. for sure specialties like pulm/cc, g.i., rheum, a/i rotate through methodist. cards will start their ep subspecialty fellowship and be in collaboration with methodist in that regard.

do we have people go to md anderson for heme/onc? yes. traditionally md anderson takes 1 resident from baylor.

as far as matching to a competitive fellowship, depends on what fellowship you want. however, i'm sure if you went to either baylor or utsw, it shouldn't matter. the name of either place is well respected. however, in the end, its how much you're gonna bust your ass during intern year.

i chose baylor for two reason: 1.) i felt the culture at baylor was more laid back RELATIVE to utsw and that the program continued trying to make things better for its residents and 2.) i didn't wanna do 5 unit months my intern year.

hope the info is informative.

i chose baylor for two reason: 1.) i felt the culture at baylor was more laid back RELATIVE to utsw and that the program continued trying to make things better for its residents and 2.) i didn't wanna do 5 unit months my intern year

5 unit months! And as a PGY-1! Is that even possible or is that an exaggeration? Doesn't the ABIM only require 4 months for certification? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing 5 unit months in one year especially during internship. I think the most I've heard is 3 in one year and that was someone who requested it and wanted to do Pulm/CC.

I've heard IM at UTSW was rough, but, if true, that's a whole new level.

jh2006 you are correct my friend. I didn't realize you did that many unit months until i rotated their as a student 2 years ago. The way they get away with it is they label it something else so semantically, its not an ICU month. However, the reality is it is an icu month. You manage sepsis, intubated patients, in addition to pulmonary hypertension and cystic fibrosis patients. They call it a pulmonary "specialty" month or something like that. Anyways, i'm sure you'll be kicka** with critical care after residency there though. Just not my cup of tea.

Yeah, as an intern you do 4-5 ICU months even though UTSW gets away with it through labeling the different rotations as cardiology or pulmonology but yeah you're responding to codes and all that crap but only one month is actually labeled an ICU month. I luckily only have to do 4 ICU months.

Any comments on the IM PD (Croft) at UTSW?

I second LindaLuv. She was professional,personable, sharp and aware. If you are a poser--she will sense it a mile away--my impression is that she wants the real deal...no pretenses.

5 unit months! And as a PGY-1! Is that even possible or is that an exaggeration? Doesn't the ABIM only require 4 months for certification? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing 5 unit months in one year especially during internship. I think the most I've heard is 3 in one year and that was someone who requested it and wanted to do Pulm/CC.

I've heard IM at UTSW was rough, but, if true, that's a whole new level.

Actually, at some programs the ICU months are more laid back than the general wards.

As to which is a better program, I think both SW and Baylor are solid programs but in academic circles I think the Southwestern name goes further.

Baylor resident here.

Agree with afterthought - UTSW definitely has a better reputation than Baylor, and would probably be on a higher tier. Would you get better training there? Maybe or maybe not - I'm training in Baylor so I can't say what it would be like to actually train at UTSW. But definitely UTSW > Baylor in general by reputation (and really, that counts for a lot more since not everyone can really know about all the programs out there and there is some self-propagating selection that happens with higher reputed programs getting the better residents that become better upper levels and then better attendings etc).

About UTSA / UTH being better than Baylor? Definitely not. I interviewed at those places too and while I really REALLY liked UTSA (cool attendings, very friendly house staff, just really an awesome atmosphere all around), I was extremely underwhelmed by their fellowship match list. They've been recruiting some big names and this may change sometime in the future, but I don't see them passing Baylor's match list (if they indeed ever do - which I think would never happen just because of their respective locations - hard to recruit too many good names to UTSA vs. the texas medical center) for at least 5 years or so. UTH? Let's just say I only put it on my rank list as a "just in case" program.

As for Baylor's financial troubles, true BCM is in debt but most of the damage is from the illiquidity stuck into the supposed BCM hospital. What I gather from second-hand info is that the Texas state assured BCM a helping hand just in case they couldn't get liquid enough to meet some of the payments, but it looks like it won't come to that. Initially BCM looked to Rice for help as "equals" but the negotiations died because financially Rice knew they definitely had the upper hand, and Rice did not want the headache of running its own hospital. All in all however, the liquidity crunch is affecting ancillary staff but has not affected - and will not affect - the training program in any way (aside from the hit in the reputation, which however counts for a lot).

The Methodist split has also muddied the issue a lot. This happened years ago, and MEthodist has since been replaced by St. Luke's / THI (but has contributed to the illiquidity as Methodist paid a lot more for residents to rotate there than does SL). The private hospital part of the training anyway has always been the least important part in terms of training in my opinion - you just need a smidge of experience to see what it's like in "the real world" and maybe increase the pool of big name attendings you can choose to work with.

... aaaannndd that's my 2 cents (more like 20). Take it for what it is - a bunch of second hand gossip and skewed point of view from a Baylor resident. All in all though, I must say I'm loving Baylor as it is right now, and that's the only thing that matters to me.

Baylor resident here.

About UTSA / UTH being better than Baylor? Definitely not. I interviewed at those places too and while I really REALLY liked UTSA (cool attendings, very friendly house staff, just really an awesome atmosphere all around), I was extremely underwhelmed by their fellowship match list. They've been recruiting some big names and this may change sometime in the future, but I don't see them passing Baylor's match list (if they indeed ever do - which I think would never happen just because of their respective locations - hard to recruit too many good names to UTSA vs. the texas medical center) for at least 5 years or so. UTH? Let's just say I only put it on my rank list as a "just in case" program...

I couldn't agree with flipmd more... UTH should be a just in case program for everyone... Baylor rocks!

Last edited:
In all fairness...

http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/images/2010_FactsAndFigures_FA.pdf

Yeah... $1.8 Billion in research!

...TMC is the place to be...

and you all should give UTH more credit... heck of a lot of research there too.
Whether UTH or Baylor, I would keep those programs on the top of my list!

Nope - Research at UTH? - not much being done in IM department for sure. The program does not place an emphasis on research.... research in the TMC is MD Anderson/Texas Heart and Baylor for the most part... Believe me, if readers want good training/research, do not think of UTH... If you want to be in the TMC, dont be fooled to think the world is open for you at uth...except for md anderson. Memorial herman is not a top hospital for anything in medicine except kidney diseases, and you will only do half your training there anyway. From someone who just graduated, do your research - and stay away

Wow, freezedoc you have been scorned by someone or something at UTH.

I tried posting the data showing UTH as number 3 in the state for research expenditures according to Texas Higher Education (UT MD Anderson is #1).

Regardless, this is why only dumb**s' take to heart what people say on this forum... Cuz people like you who apparently have had a bad experience talk so much crap.

Sorry freezedoc, numbers and stats don't lie.

Oh, and yes, Memorial Hermann is ranked in other specialties, check out US News which was obviously your source. While on this topic, taking all hospitals together of those available to the residents at UT or Baylor (based on above post), I'd say those residents have a damn good variety of "top hospitals" in which to train.

Any way you slice it, you're just bitter, and wrong, to boot.

I appreciate you trying to help readers of the forum, but some facts:

No. Sorry. I'm just like most other recent grads of the training program. Do YOUR research on this, especially by other threads/topics on this forum. Looks what other interns say. Look what UTH med students say about the program. When I started in 2007, it was great.... and it is not the same there. The morale there is bad, and most graduates are not happy when they graduate the program! This is a fact!

UTH has great research, but you are in the IM forum....! A med school's research does not equal the research of a division/department. When I left there were some medicine faculty that starting getting more involved in research, but there is not enough to supply all the residents that want to do it...

I agree that some top hospitals are in the TMC... some of the best in the country. However, one should find out where the residents rotate before making an assumption that they are "open" to all for rotations. Baylor does not really go to MD Anderson, UTH Does. Methodist - neither go to from what I recall. Top Hospital also does NOT mean top hospital to train, especially if those top hospitals are for non-IM divisions/departments etc. This list has a lot to do with being a top hospitals to be a patient, not to learn, or train! Just because my brother wants to go to Memorial Hermann to get good care to get a renal stone removed, doesn't mean I should go there for training.

I am not "bitter". I liked some aspects of my training, but to say that UTH is at the top just because it is in the TMC is a joke. Where I train now is not the best either, but I see how things are so much different for other reasons... ask most recent graduates and they will agree. If you are a Baylor or UTH Resident, you may have a different experience/opinion. That is fine. But your opinion is one not based in actual experience! The majority of residents from the program are not happy. I have my reasons (i.e help with fellowship placement) but there are many others. Look around the forums and you will find them in droves!

I've said what I had to say re: the program.... I'll just post now in other threads re: other questions since obviously this poster doesn't like others telling the truth or disagreeing with them... hence the reason its a forum i thought.

Wow, freezedoc you have been scorned by someone or something at UTH.

I tried posting the data showing UTH as number 3 in the state for research expenditures according to Texas Higher Education (UT MD Anderson is #1).

Regardless, this is why only dumb**s' take to heart what people say on this forum... Cuz people like you who apparently have had a bad experience talk so much crap.

Sorry freezedoc, numbers and stats don't lie.

Oh, and yes, Memorial Hermann is ranked in other specialties, check out US News which was obviously your source. While on this topic, taking all hospitals together of those available to the residents at UT or Baylor (based on above post), I'd say those residents have a damn good variety of "top hospitals" in which to train.

Any way you slice it, you're just bitter, and wrong, to boot.

anon, are you currently training at the TMC?

freezedoc, thanks for your candid input!

While we are technically separated, BCM and Methodist, strong ties (research and training - and I'm talking at the student/residency level) between the faculty remain. BCM residents and outsiders are often unaware of this.

It may be several years or more, but many are working to rebuild the bridges.

How do I know all this? I have a unique affiliation with both institutions as a resident.

My $.02:

I personally steer applicants/students away from UT-H.

Baylor is a strong program with great residents and faculty; I have no regrets.

Although a Baylor-Methodist realignment is a theoretical possibility, I wouldn't bet on it happening during the residency of anyone currently applying. St Luke's fulfills the "private" experience for Baylor residents but it lacks the name-brand research faculty that Methodist used to bring, if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not).