St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital (NYC) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
St Lukes-Roosevelt (NY):
Excellent three year program in NYC, probably the best. Excellent curriculum for a 3 year program. Residents are generally well-preparred when they leave. A few residents paused when asked that question. Great diversity in sites; abundant pathology and a good mix of ancillary staff-->get practice with IV's at St -Lukes but at Roosevelt it is mostly taken care of. Interview day is pretty relaxed, an intro by the PD and then interviews/tour. The PD will probably start off by saying, "so, what do you want to know" and wait for you to say something. He is a very nice guy, who is dedicated to his program, residents, and em education. The other interviews are chill...just know your application and why you want to be in NY. the housing is excellent. Overall, good not great training, but if you search it out, you could receive excellent training. Faculty are great, resident friendly and many opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

St. Luke's - Roosevelt in NYC

Residents: 14 residents per year from diverse places. Many are from the NY/NJ area, but many are from the south and out west. Met many of the interns and PGY2's who all seem very laid back. Apparently, each class has a personality and the PGY1 class happened to gelled very well and are very close. It seems like most of the residents are single and came to NY to seek the fun life... they made it a point to stress that they DO have married people in the program.

Faculty: Dr. Lanoix is the PD and Dr. Clark is the assistant program director. Dr. Lanoix is not the most dynamic program director you will meet... he gave us a powerpoint presentation about the program during which he essentially read off the powerpoint. I think this is just a personality thing and doesn't say anything about his ability to be a good PD, though.

Hospital:
Two sites, which a "jitney" that runs every hour between the two.

St. Lukes - Midtown New York. Used to be "Hell's Kitchen," and now a really wealthy area close to Columbus Circle (read: Per Se, most expensive restaurant in NY) and Times Square. They get a fairly decent amount of patients here 50,000K and this is increasing because a nearby hospital recently closed. Patient population ranges from the wealthy to tourists to anybody who happens to be down in that area. The ED is very cramped and small, work space seems tight. There is talk about renovating the area and making it bigger, but I'm not sure when it will happen. Level II Trauma.

Roosevelt - 110's and Broadway, right next to Columbia's undergrad campus. This is the larger hospital and where the residents spend a lot of their intern off service months. The population here consists of more underserved patients, lots of Spanish speaking patients, but also some wealth in the area since there is Columbia's Ugrad campus right there. 100,000 patients per year, large space that looks like a typical ED with curtained rooms, etc. Level I trauma center, but not much trauma these days - same as everywhere in manhattan.

Ancillary Stuff: Occasional transporting of patients or placing of IV's, but not common as the nursing is pretty good when they are not overwhelmed.

Admitting/Documentation: Uniform documenting across both hospitals. EMSTAT tracking system that is essentially a computerized white board with lots of data - labs back, films read, etc. I don't remember if charting or orders were computerized, but I kind of stopped caring because I don't think I will choose a program based on that kind of stuff.

Curriculum: 3 year curriculum with what seems like a lot of room for electives. PGY1 - work 12 hour shifts in the ED, few off service months mostly at Roosevelt Hospital with no floor months. Labor and Delivery month is one entire month on night float - which you get to deliver a lot of babies... but it's a month of night float! PGY2 and PGY3 work 8 hour shifts in the ED. Trauma elective month is usually done away - before it was in Las Vegas before they started their residency, now most of them do the rotation in Miami.

First hour every morning is dedicated to Tintinalli readings, the rest is a mix of lectures by faculty and residents. They have no problems with their board pass rates.

Didactics/Research: Standard didactics, one morning a week. There is also a research fellow and a research director who organize clinical research and coordinate an academic associate program that employes undergraduate and post-bac students from Columbia to enroll patients into studies. Some residents pursue research, which they will pay for you to present at conferences. It is not a requirement and it's definitely not the majority.

City: New York is New York. Be ready for crowds and expensive things, but you will have everything and anything right outside your door. Unlike other NY programs in the Bronx or on the East Side (far far away from subways), St. Luke's is located in a very convenient midtown area. Subsidized housing (900-1200 for a studio, depending on the building) is provided.

Extras: Salary is high (starting at 51,000) as residents are part of the residents union. Housing is pretty nice, although I thought they harped on this a little too much during the interview day. "Niche" program in which you can choose an area of focus and if you prove to do enough work in this area (research, admin, etc), you can get clinical shifts off.

Negatives: There were a few interns there that I felt like had a little too much of the "party" mentality. I know living in the city is great and you have great housing, but they were trying so hard to sell us on this by telling us how late they were out last night and how drunk they get on certain days. Have to move around from one hospital to the other for rotations - although not too bad since the subway is close and easy to take uptown.

Overall: Solid three year program that undoubtedly attracts great residents due to it's location. I think this is probably the best 3 year program in New York City, but not as academically focused as some of the 4 year programs (obviously). This program will provide great training to it's residents and I feel like the curriculum is well thought out, giving residents time to pursue other interests as well.

St. Luke's - Roosevelt in NYC

Residents: 14 residents per year from diverse places. Many are from the NY/NJ area, but many are from the south and out west. Met many of the interns and PGY2's who all seem very laid back. Apparently, each class has a personality and the PGY1 class happened to gelled very well and are very close. It seems like most of the residents are single and came to NY to seek the fun life... they made it a point to stress that they DO have married people in the program.

Faculty: Dr. Lanoix is the PD and Dr. Clark is the assistant program director. Dr. Lanoix is not the most dynamic program director you will meet... he gave us a powerpoint presentation about the program during which he essentially read off the powerpoint. I think this is just a personality thing and doesn't say anything about his ability to be a good PD, though.

Hospital:
Two sites, which a "jitney" that runs every hour between the two.

St. Lukes - Midtown New York. Used to be "Hell's Kitchen," and now a really wealthy area close to Columbus Circle (read: Per Se, most expensive restaurant in NY) and Times Square. They get a fairly decent amount of patients here 50,000K and this is increasing because a nearby hospital recently closed. Patient population ranges from the wealthy to tourists to anybody who happens to be down in that area. The ED is very cramped and small, work space seems tight. There is talk about renovating the area and making it bigger, but I'm not sure when it will happen. Level II Trauma.

Roosevelt - 110's and Broadway, right next to Columbia's undergrad campus. This is the larger hospital and where the residents spend a lot of their intern off service months. The population here consists of more underserved patients, lots of Spanish speaking patients, but also some wealth in the area since there is Columbia's Ugrad campus right there. 100,000 patients per year, large space that looks like a typical ED with curtained rooms, etc. Level I trauma center, but not much trauma these days - same as everywhere in manhattan.

Ancillary Stuff: Occasional transporting of patients or placing of IV's, but not common as the nursing is pretty good when they are not overwhelmed.

Admitting/Documentation: Uniform documenting across both hospitals. EMSTAT tracking system that is essentially a computerized white board with lots of data - labs back, films read, etc. I don't remember if charting or orders were computerized, but I kind of stopped caring because I don't think I will choose a program based on that kind of stuff.

Curriculum: 3 year curriculum with what seems like a lot of room for electives. PGY1 - work 12 hour shifts in the ED, few off service months mostly at Roosevelt Hospital with no floor months. Labor and Delivery month is one entire month on night float - which you get to deliver a lot of babies... but it's a month of night float! PGY2 and PGY3 work 8 hour shifts in the ED. Trauma elective month is usually done away - before it was in Las Vegas before they started their residency, now most of them do the rotation in Miami.

First hour every morning is dedicated to Tintinalli readings, the rest is a mix of lectures by faculty and residents. They have no problems with their board pass rates.

Didactics/Research: Standard didactics, one morning a week. There is also a research fellow and a research director who organize clinical research and coordinate an academic associate program that employes undergraduate and post-bac students from Columbia to enroll patients into studies. Some residents pursue research, which they will pay for you to present at conferences. It is not a requirement and it's definitely not the majority.

City: New York is New York. Be ready for crowds and expensive things, but you will have everything and anything right outside your door. Unlike other NY programs in the Bronx or on the East Side (far far away from subways), St. Luke's is located in a very convenient midtown area. Subsidized housing (900-1200 for a studio, depending on the building) is provided.

Extras: Salary is high (starting at 51,000) as residents are part of the residents union. Housing is pretty nice, although I thought they harped on this a little too much during the interview day. "Niche" program in which you can choose an area of focus and if you prove to do enough work in this area (research, admin, etc), you can get clinical shifts off.

Negatives: There were a few interns there that I felt like had a little too much of the "party" mentality. I know living in the city is great and you have great housing, but they were trying so hard to sell us on this by telling us how late they were out last night and how drunk they get on certain days. Have to move around from one hospital to the other for rotations - although not too bad since the subway is close and easy to take uptown.

Overall: Solid three year program that undoubtedly attracts great residents due to it's location. I think this is probably the best 3 year program in New York City, but not as academically focused as some of the 4 year programs (obviously). This program will provide great training to it's residents and I feel like the curriculum is well thought out, giving residents time to pursue other interests as well.

I have rotated here for a month and I would like to offer some perspective.

Pros:

Family atmosphere= These people really take care of each other. Everyone really gets along well and they (residents +attendings alike) are genuinely concerned for each other's wellfare. Specific: They give their residents a 45 minute break in the middle of the shift to eat and detox. The day I was there the ED was slammed and one resident offered to only be gone for 15 minutes and the PD (who was on shift) basically ordered the resident to take the full 45.

Patients = You get the feeling that this place is small and community-ish. Truth be told they are one of the top 15 busiest ED's in the US. The trick is that they have great flow. They attribute it to the EMSTAT system that holds Nurses and MD's accountable because their pending orders/results etc are on display.

Location = While I really don't see what the big deal about living in NY is, 15million people can't be wrong. If they oversold the housing during the interview it is because it is a HUGE issue for people that want to live and work on Manhattan. Residency is hard enough, there is no need to live like a pauper or 2 hours away from work. And in regards to "partying", they have outside lives but trust me they work hard and ....well I just find this to be an unecessary comment.

Cons

Trauma = While I think we as applicants overemphasize the importance of trauma, it is true that NO PROGRAMS in Manhattan have any significant trauma. Luke's is no exception. My problem with the way they run traumas at luke's is that it is way to chaotic. When a trauma call comes in, everyone and their mother rushes into the room. The rotation in Miami/Vegas is nice but I don't see how one month out of your whole residency is a significant experience.

Archaic Ed's = Although one of them was rebuilt in 93, these are both cramped small and smelly Ed's. This will not bother some but I have seen what is out there and I think something as simple as lots of workspace, computers and chairs makes life a little more pleasant. There are plans to expand the roosevelt ED but I dont think they are even at the planning stage yet.

Overall: Having people that genuinely care about you and your development is more rare than you would imagine. This is SLR's strength and I can't see those who choose to go here would regret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
St. Luke's Roosevelt in NYC

I feel that SLR is a strong program, but it's not as strong as many programs out there, or in NYC. I sensed that they got some bright residents every year, people that were able to match at some higher caliber programs but settled for SLR because of its location and "fun" image. I believe they will be trained very well, but I bet there are some residents that wondered if SLR matched up to their potential. One thing that concerned me was that, SLR doesn't get very much penetrating or blunt trauma, and I wonder if that prepares a resident well for the real America outside of NYC, where there might be penetrating trauma here and there, but there's going to be a lot more MVAs because the USA is laced with highways, execept NYC. There also wasn't much peds exposure and the overall patient acuity wasn't that high. Yes most of the NYC programs doesn't get much P/B trauma or peds, but some do, and those happen to be the higher caliber programs like Kings, Jacobi, Lincoln..etc, and those places typically have much sicker patients also. Without the P/B trauma and peds, I wonder where else in the USA besides NYC could a resident from SLR find a job like that afterwards. Yeah I know their residents also go all over the place, but I wonder what the comfort level of their residents are when they work in the real world. So overall I felt SLR was a good program, and it gets good residents, that have probably given up possibly better training else where just to live it up in the city. If everything else being equal, and this program was located in Kansas(sorry kansas, just an example), I wonder if it would still be as popular of a program.

St. Luke's Roosevelt in NYC

I feel that SLR is a strong program, but it's not as strong as many programs out there, or in NYC. I sensed that they got some bright residents every year, people that were able to match at some higher caliber programs but settled for SLR because of its location and "fun" image. I believe they will be trained very well, but I bet there are some residents that wondered if SLR matched up to their potential. One thing that concerned me was that, SLR doesn't get very much penetrating or blunt trauma, and I wonder if that prepares a resident well for the real America outside of NYC, where there might be penetrating trauma here and there, but there's going to be a lot more MVAs because the USA is laced with highways, execept NYC. There also wasn't much peds exposure and the overall patient acuity wasn't that high. Yes most of the NYC programs doesn't get much P/B trauma or peds, but some do, and those happen to be the higher caliber programs like Kings, Jacobi, Lincoln..etc, and those places typically have much sicker patients also. Without the P/B trauma and peds, I wonder where else in the USA besides NYC could a resident from SLR find a job like that afterwards. Yeah I know their residents also go all over the place, but I wonder what the comfort level of their residents are when they work in the real world. So overall I felt SLR was a good program, and it gets good residents, that have probably given up possibly better training else where just to live it up in the city. If everything else being equal, and this program was located in Kansas(sorry kansas, just an example), I wonder if it would still be as popular of a program.

Thought I'd offer a little perspective as well. SLR is an incredibly strong program, period. Having rotated at Kings, with closer friends both as previous residents and/or attendings at the programs you speak of, no one is seeing major trauma, hence why the vast majority of nyc programs do trauma at outside/surrounding programs.

Regarding your inaccurate assumption about the competitiveness of our program, you are quite off base. I have interviewed canidates, both as a resident and attending, for 4 years now. We match exceptionally high, year after year, in our list. Our applicants are phenomenally competitive, from ivy leagues with board scores that are crazy.

Regarding where in the world our residents go? Last year: GW international health fellowship in DC. (only one person applied to fellowship that year) Austin. NYC, Bronx-Leb (for MS's a very competitive NYC hospital to work at). Vegas. San Francisco. Dallas. Portland. Florida

Year before: Fellowships: Education/Research (myself), International medicine (columbia). NYC. Washington, DC. Texas. Boston.

Year before that- fellowships: tox (nyu), ultrasound (jacobi, nym). Florida. NYC. UNMDJ.

This year- so far: San Francisco, NYC.

So basically, our residents get jobs where they want them. Even in highly competitive areas. They get fellowships, if they want them.

Regarding our academics, we dont' force all residents into academic areas. When residents want it, it is there. We do alot of research, both basic (tox) and clinical, with lots of abstracts. We also publish, quite a bit. (two articles in november Annals).

Our residents are exceptionally comfortable where they go. You can't see 160Kpts per year, with high acuity (residents see 2-3 patients an hour) and not be comfortable. So, we have high acuity, high volume and good diversity. Pretty much high caliber training, in nyc.

And yes, we have a life outside of our work as well.

St Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center

Residents: 14 residents per year. Residents are involved with the selection process – hosting a pre-interview party, interviewing, and leading the tours. They have a reputation in NYC as a very happy group, and that seemed to be true. Most of them live in the same building, and they hang out socially. Everyone I spoke to ranked SLR first. They’re from all over the place, probably more from the NY region than anywhere else – but there is a group of them from New Orleans (we had homemade Gumbo and Pralines at the party :)). Seems like more single than married, and few with kids.

Faculty: It seems like many people find the PD, Dr. Lanoix, to be hit or miss. He can be aloof, and is opinionated - but I happen to agree with most of his opinions, so I like him a lot. He is extremely passionate about his program and NYC in general. The assistant PD, Dr. Clark, is really nice. Residents report a first-name-basis relationship with almost everyone, and the attendings attend social events. Residents say bedside teaching is great. Additionally, the faculty responds very well to residents – and has made recent changes based on resident input.

Hospital:
There are two sites, St Luke’s Hospital and Roosevelt Hospital, where time is split almost evenly. They are both on the west side, and their coverage runs from the Upper west side practically down past Chelsea (a huge area by NYC standards). Between the 2 EDs there are nearly 190,000 visits, so they are very, very busy. Each site has its own identity, although I think the recent closure of a midtown hospital may be making the patients populations more similar at each site.

St Luke’s Hospital: I think this one is bigger, it’s a level 1 trauma center located next to Columbia’s undergrad campus in Morningside Heights. This is where they report a more indigent population, with more autonomy in care. There is a separate Peds ED here, and lots of Spanish-speaking. The adult ED is standard for an inner-city place – not modern by any means but electronic patient tracking and ordering. They have a couple of trauma bays. X-ray is on-site, but the CT is upstairs, which is a pain. Most off-service rotations are also here.

Roosevelt Hospital: The ED here is very tiny and crammed with people (especially with the closure of St Vincent’s Midtown down the street). They are currently expanding the ED, hopefully to be completed before next year. They report a more private patient population here, although Midtown was a service facility and I’m sure the overflow they are getting from its closure is largely uninsured. Peds is intermixed with adult here. Same computer system (and attendings) at this hospital. Level 2 trauma center, I think. CT is upstairs here as well. This hospital is not a Cath center (for some reason they do diagnostic, but not therapeutic), so STEMIs must be shipped up to St Luke’s.

Ancillary Stuff: Supposed to be pretty good – residents told me Roosevelt was a little worse because of the recent overcrowding, but for an urban place nursing is reportedly very good at these sites.

Admitting/Documentation: No problems with admitting. Use of EMSTAT system (which they are very proud of) has supposedly helped them become one of the most efficient EDs in the country. Patients rarely wait more than an hour to be seen, which is pretty impressive considering the volume. They have plans to go completely computerized this spring.

Curriculum: 3 year curriculum with emphasis directly on ED time. This place has more ED months than some 4 year programs! However, it comes at the cost of critical care experience, which they have very little of. There is no graduated responsibility – PGY1s see sick patients. Interns have almost a half year in the adult ED, plus 2mo of Peds ED. There are no floor medicine months. However, it seemed like the off-service time they had in Anesthesia and OB were sort of low-yield. Second and third year are more of the same – lots and lots of ED time split between the two sites. Lanoix is one of the great defenders of the 3 year curriculum here in NYC (maybe to a fault sometimes – he can seem almost defensive about it), and believes you learn emergency medicine in the ED – so why waste time elsewhere. It’s a refreshing, if slightly narrow view on training, and I think it works well here (between the crazy volume and the number of ED blocks, these residents see a heck of a lot of patients in 3 years). They have 2 electives, but one must be trauma (you can go anywhere, most go to Miami) since Manhattan is too darn safe. The other elective is open. Interns work 12hr shifts, second and third years do mostly 9hr shifts (recent change at resident suggestion – they got rid of a Peds elective and went to 9hr shifts. Everyone seems happy about it). Experience with procedures seems OK, but they set it up so PGY1 do lines and PGY2 do airway, so it seemed like interns did not have a lot of intubation experience (outside the Anesthesia rotation). The program emphasizes ultrasound use. Unique to the curriculum is the Niche program – a non-required mentor system for those that become interested in anything from research to business.

Didactics/Research: Didactics are once a week – residents said they are pretty boring. There is a lot of research done here, both clinical and basic science. The basic science stuff is mostly toxicology, although there are some other projects. There is a lot of clinical research, and they have undergrad “academic associates” to do the paperwork. There are a bunch of Fellows, including ultrasound, tox, global medicine, and research/education (SDN’s own Roja! I met her on the Jitney :D), so there are many ongoing projects. They are very supportive of residents presenting abstracts, as well as residents with academic interests – the niche program helps link interested residents with the proper support.

City: SLR basically covers the majority of Manhattan’s west side. I’ll leave the cultural advantages of living on the west side (more trains, better parks, less uptight people) to those who know the city well. Among the EM programs in NYC, SLR may have the best location. As I’ve mentioned before, NYC is one of the great cities of the world, but it comes with a very steep price. Housing here is excellent (see below), but will still be shocking to those who are new to the city. It comes down to wanting the NYC experience or not, and if you do SLR is in a great place to live and work.

Extras: Salary is excellent (starting $51,700+ as PGY1) but won’t go far in NYC. Housing is the jewel of SLR’s benefits – they subsidize 3 buildings and guarantee housing. One high rise is on 59th with big studios (a steal for $1100), as well as 1 and 2 BR places for those with family. They have another place nearby, and then an older place up by St Luke’s. All three are in great locations, near parks, trains and nightlife. There is a Jitney bus between the hospitals, which is a nice perk but the bus schedule seems to run the residents lives (it’s kind of like catching the school bus). 4 weeks vacation. Excellent insurance – including spouses for no extra charge! Most CME money of anywhere I’ve seen ($750 a year), plus they pay for Step3 and all conferences. Residents are unionized. The trauma month is totally paid for, including air fare.

Negatives: Personally, I’d like some more time in the ICU – but the ED-heavy curriculum is pretty cool otherwise. While the Jitney service is nice, going between 2 sites as often as they do may get old. The facilities aren’t that great. Since the ED is so efficient here, and that efficiency is touted so often, the residents did admit to feeling pressure to “move the meat” even as interns – not by the faculty per se, but because of the overall culture.

Overall: Residents at SLR are among the happiest you’ll find, and this place undoubtedly has the best benefits of any program I’ve seen, which contributes to the resident satisfaction. The PD is passionate, and the combination of high volume and ED-heavy curriculum likely produces excellent clinicians. You can’t really call this place a diamond in the rough anymore, because it seems like everyone already knows about it! In a city of great programs, this one stands out.

Interview Day/Residents: Ahhh finally to my true love. :) This program sold me from the beginning. I will admit it's not for everyone, as is every program out there. But, I got the goosebumps and am absolutely ecstatic to be there next year. Soooo here is my very biased review of SLR.

I had attended the Medical Student Symposium that they host every year as a first year, 3.5+ yrs ago (really long ago!). The symposium was to teach EM interested medical students, ultrasound and splinting. The day was run by SLR residents and Dr. Clark made an appearance at the end to answer questions. I remember sitting there during the Q&A, watching them sit at the front as a big group, smiling and joking, thinking, "Wow. they're so normal and well-rested. And happy." I kept the program in the back of mind, thinking if I decided on EM, I would apply there.

So anyways, back to the interview day; their social is held at the resident housing, in an apartment. It's very laidback. Lots of residents ended up showing up to mine. It could've been I was one of the first interviews they had (free food). But I liked everyone. There was nothing but praise about the program, PD, curriculum, pt volume. The interview day is also chill. It's held at Roosevelt hospital, where the main office is. The attendings I interviewed with (Dr. Shah and Dr. Clark) were the nicest and friendliest attendings I have ever talked to. (little aside but Dr Clark is a great attending to follow for a second look or work shifts with for your elective. He treated the pilot who landed the flight into theHudson river- shully I think). They bus ya on the Jitney after your interviews to take a look at St Lukes. It's more of a hey this hospital is bigger and gets more volume. There is housing up there. Between the three buildings (one on 59th street, one on Amsterdam, the last up next to campus), people live at, I loved 515 W 59th street. The apartments are a good size there and they "allow" pets. Just FYI about prices- studios go for 1100-1200 and 1BR go for 1500-1600 at that location. Others vary. The Jitney is pretty low key and I like that it runs hourly. Residents are on Jitney time.

Attendings: See above

Facilities: Roosevelt Hospital is building a new ED. The old space is sorta cramped but I have seen the plans for the new ED. It's going to be absolutely utilized. Roosevelt's patient volume has increased dramatically the past three years (what with Cabrini closing down). They see close to 70,000+ pts at that hospital. St Lukes at least 110,000+. You get good pathology at both sites. Roosevelts location is more swanky so you get a lot of business men. the NYC marathon ends close to there so they get to work it each year. I liked St Lukes location (next to Columbia's main campus). The ED is large and organized well. Equipment is above average to good. Nurses and techs were so happy to see us when we visited. I got a lot of hellos just walking thru with my interview attire. I have heard that there is no scut at either site. Emstat is used at both hospitals. I have used the system- it's got its own positives and negatives.

Curriculum: Dr. Lanoix is a die hard proponent of the three year curriculum and for good reason. He believes that if done right, the curriculum/residency, an EM resident can be properly trained in three years. I was on the fence entering my interview day. It's his pitch that sold me to apply and rank both. I ended up applying, interview at, and ranking four year programs additional to three year programs. To me, I'm young and I could stomach the extra year as long as the program was the best fit for me.

St Lukes emphasizes direct EM time. So no floor months. good number of ward months. Elective time. You work 18 12 hours shifts every 28 days for your first year. Then 17 for second year, then 16 shifts for third year. One of the things that stood out to me was that interns are treated like 2nd or 3rd years. So they will allow them to see the sickest pt that they feel most comfortable handling. There is solid teaching from the attendings. I just felt from the whole symposium to interview day to my second look that everyone was happy to be there. Everyone got along so well. Trauma is done either at Las Vegas or at Miami in your second year. Most residents elect to do it during winter.

Location: Manhattan is Manhattan. It's expensive, loud, and cramped. But living here already for two years, I can not tell ya how glad I am to be here for another three. You get the culture, world class restaurants, being in the epicenter of all things scandalous and good. I always imagined returning to Chicago but having visited Chi-town twice for my interviews, I can tell I am much happier at NYC.

St Lukes has this fun reputation amongst the NYC residencies. Residents and attendings hang out often outside the hospital. Everyone is on a first name basis with each other. I think it has a lot to do with their Intermural sports, housing situation, and how happy the residents/attendings are.

Overall: +teaching ++attendings, +++fun residents, +location, ++housing, +little perks like CME money/jitney, +++pt volume, ++resident responsibility, ++ research backing from Columbia Uni. I feel this program has it all. If ya have any questions about St Lukes, PM me. If you are interested in the program, I would recommend doing an elective. They are known for taking home grown students or people they know well. I was lucky to not have done an elective.

Last edited:
Case western- Metrohealth:
I have rotated here. Ok program. Large volume 90,000+, so you learn a lot from the patients. The faculty are more interested in moving patients than teaching residents or students. Their faculty-resident forums are famous for the word "No" from their Chairman to almost every request by the residents. Lot of focus on Trauma: repeatedly noticed that drunk guys falling down on the street in Cleveland is treated by Cleveland EMS and the ED as if it were a gun shot to the chest; practically the whole ED would rush to help this idiot, then a another person having an acute MI dying at the same time. Other EDs I have been too, drunk guys falling down are usually in the fast track, if they come to the ED at all. Unlike some other programs EM residents do not have their own resident lounge where they can chart, or read etc, heard, they had one last year then it was taken away for faculty offices. Residents get criticized in a way on shift that I wouldn't call constructive. Frankly, Cleveland is not the brightest spot in the country.

St. Lukes:
Good program. Dr. Lanoix as other people have noticed is hit or miss to students depending on your personality. Manhattan is obviously awesome.
Residents have a strong bond together. The ED itself is small compared to other EDs and looks old.Good toxicology research going on. There is oportunity for subsidized housing.

mutjeng2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all long time lurker first time poster..

I agree with some of the statements above.

Stony Brook was pretty laid back. I got the impression that the PD was very open and pro-resident. No really tough questions they wanted to know if you had any questions for them tho..

Some other impressions
St. Lukes (NYC) -Another laid back place, residents were happy and all the attendings were on a first name basis with the residents. And the housing was phenomenal, I mean can you really chose a residency based on housing?!?:! hmmmm.. I like the idea of splitting shifts at two different sites just cause they give you the idea of two different worlds a. private b. indigent...

LIJ- Also laid back and residents seemed happy and my goodness they're pay is phenomenal. Some residents actually live in manhattan and commute to long island.. can you really chose a residency based on salary.. hmmmm... maybe I'm focused on the benefits too much.. hahahah.. but in all seriousness these are the things that will add up over the next 3-4years.. The ED was okay but not much trauma.. they rotate at jacobi for that experience so I can imagine that they'll see their fair share over there.

SUNY Brooklyn.. Man, this place is a knife an gun club.. lots of trauma and lots of opportunities to do procedures. Residents work their asses off but in general they seem happy that they're in that kind of environment... Attendings on the most part were receptive. Dr. Lucchesi, the chariman is a badass tho.. he teaches and flies through patients and doesn't mind taking on medstudnts throughout his shift. I have a little more to say about this place cause i rotated through here..

Brooklyn Hospital.. small program and didn't get a chance to talk to residents much.. its one of the few places that I had a really bad interview.. i mean i got pimped on "interesting cases you've seen" and I had to make differential for AMS. ugh.. small program and not level1 yet.. but their trauma room is being built now and supposedly should be ready by next year.. cool ultrasound opportunities tho.. one of the attendings is big on US research..

That's all i got for now.. i'm still on the East coast swing.. i'll let everybody know how the rest of them go..

The program is a streamlined 3 yr program that is very ED intensive, meaning there are very few off service rotations. While this might be good for fast training they only have 2 ICU months and I feel like overall medical training may be a little lax at the expense of claiming to have the most ED months of any 3 yr program.

The facilities are all computerized and St. Lukes is more of a "county" feel than Roosevelt and the combined volume I believe was 150k + so there are a lot of patients to go around. They don't get much PEDS exposure so they are experimenting with 2 weeks done at Columbia Cornell Presbyterian.

They have fellowship trained docs in Ultrasound, SIM, and 2 toxicologists with there own lab so if you want to do research you can although the general mentality of all the residents is that they hate research.

During the interview they stress over and over their housing which makes me question if this residency would be as popular if there wasn't all the perks (great discount housing, high salary, mandatory lunch breaks while working)

Overall a little too much talk about perks and lacking on the educational and academic aspects. The residents focus alot on partying and do seem to be the happiest of all I have seen in NYC but I worry about this place being somewhat of a drag on starting as serious EM career unless you just want to graduate and make $$.

I did a rotation at SLR. I enjoyed the experience and I really liked the people, but I have to say the ED is rather underwhelming comparing to other rotations i've done. I didn't know that they have the most ED months. I think I personally won't be ready after 3 years there and I felt many 3rd year residents there felt that way also.

were you at both St. Luke's and Roosevelt or just one?

Soon to be grads never think they are ready. You are more than ready, after slr or most programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
While this might be good for fast training they only have 2 ICU months and I feel like overall medical training may be a little lax at the expense of claiming to have the most ED months of any 3 yr program.

During the interview they stress over and over their housing which makes me question if this residency would be as popular if there wasn't all the perks (great discount housing, high salary, mandatory lunch breaks while working)

Overall a little too much talk about perks and lacking on the educational and academic aspects. The residents focus alot on partying and do seem to be the happiest of all I have seen in NYC but I worry about this place being somewhat of a drag on starting as serious EM career unless you just want to graduate and make $$.

I'll give the feedback to our residency leadership, thanks!

I think our medical training is pretty fantastic. I was managing four ICU patients in the ED on Monday while seeing others on my own and hearing cases from the intern and teaching them as well. We placed 2nd in SIM Wars at ACEP this year and rocked it.

I agree Peds can use some buffing--trying to figure out how to best do that.

We've changed our conference this year, to try to squeeze out more attending education and have residents do a few fewer lectures: attendings give 3 lectures a year as a minimum, we have monthly Journal Club (which knocks the socks off of a lot of places JC, I bet!), third years give a morning report 5x a week, and this year as chiefs we've done a bi-weekly "Chiefs Rounds" which is half social hour half discussing an EM Clinics or EBMedicine review article. One of our chiefs is going to Stanford for fellowship next year, and one from this year and one from last year are going to Harvard for Critical Care fellowships. I think we're doin' pretty well for a little East Coast sleeper program! :)

We're definitely happy--but I don't think we focus a lot on partying. We try to have get-togethers when possible, and it IS New York, but you'll fit right in here if you're not a party animal (I am most certainly not). We have book readers and homebodies and computer game players and multiple residents with kids and partners and spouses! :)

@jbar: You work at both sites, alternating which site you're at every other day (although interns spend the vast majority of their time at Luke's).

Last edited:
St. Lukes is definitely the "county" hospital for the West side and I would say they are very busy from the looks of it on our tour but also extremely organized.

I am not sure what qualifies as a 'serious EM career' but there are quite a number of us who graduated from here who have very serious EM careers. If you aren't certain, a good question to ask *any* program is where there grads are. You might be suprised.

many of the faculty that used to work at St. Lukes Roosevelt are now working for Mt. Sinai, especially some of the famous ones like Shah and Newman

I'm going to be starting at St. Luke's/Roosevelt, and am super excited. It sounds like some people are worried about academic career after going there. That was a big concern of mine when I met some residents about 4 years ago who told me that no one was doing fellowships. When I interviewed this year I was told about half of the residents are doing fellowship. That, plus the facts that they just started a sim fellowship and have their own ambulance service for those interested in EMS makes me feel very comfortable with getting a fellowship and doing academics if that's what I choose to do.

Can any current or former residents discuss the availability of moonlighting?

No moonlighting available. It's a busy, fast-paced, 3-year residency in the middle of NYC, and (biased) one of the best in the country. You'll want to spend your free time enjoying NYC. Trust me, there's plenty of time in your life to be an attending!

Strong northeast lean, 3-year preference

1) St-Luke's Roosevelt: Loved everything I heard about this program before interview day, and it exceeded expectations. + amazing curriculum, trauma month at Maryland shock, focus on wellness seems legitimate (Dr. Clark is amazing and just won program director of the year), best combo of academic opportunity but clinical/teaching focus, awesome/happy residents, great benefits/housing. - no university on campus (affiliated with Mt. Sinai).

2) Mt. Sinai: +top research opportunities, PD is from SLR, cool residents, diverse experience with Sinai and Elmhurst, NYC. - commute, so-so housing, 4-years without any clear benefit of the last one

3) Georgetown/WHC: +love DC, like PD, attending run-hospital allows more learning time for residents (nobody works Tuesday night so they can attend Wednesday conference), good Peds experience with DC childrens, residents get to do rotations at big sports events. - newish program, expensive city without subsidized housing, some fellowships still being worked out

4) Temple: +Great feel on interview day, supportive staff, absolutely love Dr. Garg, McNamara (chair) has huge hand in running the hospital which has trickle down benefits for the ED, best program in Philly, cool residents. - Commute to North philly, question the circadian scheduling

5) NYU: +Bellevue is iconic, more focus on clinical than research, all 3 (very different hospitals) are right next to each other, good prestige, Dr. Goldfrank is the man, Hoffman and all of tox is awesome. -off-service rotations, attached to a homeless shelter (workload/learning goes up), little-no research going on

6) Hopkins: +Name opens a lot of doors, PD was cool, believe you'd see everything, only 4-year program I saw which had an awesome/worthwhile 4h year. -Baltimore, white coats mandatory

7-15 (in no order): VCU, Stanford, Emory, Columbia/Cornell, Einstein/Jacobi, BUMC, Uchicago, Christiana, Denver

Did not rank: Einstein (philly)

Strong northeast lean, 3-year preference

1) St-Luke's Roosevelt: Loved everything I heard about this program before interview day, and it exceeded expectations. + amazing curriculum, trauma month at Maryland shock, focus on wellness seems legitimate (Dr. Clark is amazing and just won program director of the year), best combo of academic opportunity but clinical/teaching focus, awesome/happy residents, great benefits/housing. - no university on campus (affiliated with Mt. Sinai).

2) Mt. Sinai: +top research opportunities, PD is from SLR, cool residents, diverse experience with Sinai and Elmhurst, NYC. - commute, so-so housing, 4-years without any clear benefit of the last one

3) Georgetown/WHC: +love DC, like PD, attending run-hospital allows more learning time for residents (nobody works Tuesday night so they can attend Wednesday conference), good Peds experience with DC childrens, residents get to do rotations at big sports events. - newish program, expensive city without subsidized housing, some fellowships still being worked out

4) Temple: +Great feel on interview day, supportive staff, absolutely love Dr. Garg, McNamara (chair) has huge hand in running the hospital which has trickle down benefits for the ED, best program in Philly, cool residents. - Commute to North philly, question the circadian scheduling

5) NYU: +Bellevue is iconic, more focus on clinical than research, all 3 (very different hospitals) are right next to each other, good prestige, Dr. Goldfrank is the man, Hoffman and all of tox is awesome. -off-service rotations, attached to a homeless shelter (workload/learning goes up), little-no research going on

6) Hopkins: +Name opens a lot of doors, PD was cool, believe you'd see everything, only 4-year program I saw which had an awesome/worthwhile 4h year. -Baltimore, white coats mandatory

7-15 (in no order): VCU, Stanford, Emory, Columbia/Cornell, Einstein/Jacobi, BUMC, Uchicago, Christiana, Denver

Did not rank: Einstein (philly)

Why did you not rank Einstein philly? Just curious because I interviewed there last year and it seemed ok?

I heard Dr Clark is leaving. Can anyone confirm? Is there a replacement lined up?

Sup fellas--current second year resident at SLR here.

Yes, the much-loved and highly decorated Dr. Clark is stepping down from program director to pursue other interests this coming year (still staying on as an attending). The replacement is Dr. Dan Egan, who is an ex-associate program director from SLR who took a year to work at NYU and is now coming back.

I can't speak more highly of Dr. Egan--he was a part of the program when I interviewed here and was a big reason that I ranked SLR number one. I was crushed when Dr. Egan told us he was leaving; I was crushed when Dr. Clark said he was leaving, and was just as ecstatic when I learned that Dr. Egan would be coming back to step in. He is right in line with the culture of the program (which I love, by the way) and I am extremely confident he will keep the program moving in the right direction. He's probably the only person that I wouldn't have been disappointed to replace Dr. Clark, who has been a simply spectacular PD (Residency director of the year last year, for those who didn't know that).

For those still finishing up their rank lists, I can't speak more highly for SLR. I'm very happy here, I love the program, I love my fellow residents, I think I have gotten a fantastic education here, and am pumped for third year. Feel free to PM me for any specifics and I'll get back to you within a day or two.

Ian Justl Ellis
PGY-2 Emergency Medicine
Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt Emergency Medicine

Sup fellas--current second year resident at SLR here.

Yes, the much-loved and highly decorated Dr. Clark is stepping down from program director to pursue other interests this coming year (still staying on as an attending). The replacement is Dr. Dan Egan, who is an ex-associate program director from SLR who took a year to work at NYU and is now coming back.

I can't speak more highly of Dr. Egan--he was a part of the program when I interviewed here and was a big reason that I ranked SLR number one. I was crushed when Dr. Egan told us he was leaving; I was crushed when Dr. Clark said he was leaving, and was just as ecstatic when I learned that Dr. Egan would be coming back to step in. He is right in line with the culture of the program (which I love, by the way) and I am extremely confident he will keep the program moving in the right direction. He's probably the only person that I wouldn't have been disappointed to replace Dr. Clark, who has been a simply spectacular PD (Residency director of the year last year, for those who didn't know that).

For those still finishing up their rank lists, I can't speak more highly for SLR. I'm very happy here, I love the program, I love my fellow residents, I think I have gotten a fantastic education here, and am pumped for third year. Feel free to PM me for any specifics and I'll get back to you within a day or two.

Ian Justl Ellis
PGY-2 Emergency Medicine
Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt Emergency Medicine

Post deleted

Last edited:
When I interviewed at SLR, I was told by a student who rotated there that the overall patient acuity wasn't that high. Someone also mentioned this in an earlier post, and another person said the ED was relatively underwhelming in their post.

Can someone from SLR comment about patient acuity? Also, how common are things like central lines and intubations?

When I interviewed at SLR, I was told by a student who rotated there that the overall patient acuity wasn't that high. Someone also mentioned this in an earlier post, and another person said the ED was relatively underwhelming in their post.

Can someone from SLR comment about patient acuity? Also, how common are things like central lines and intubations?

This shouldn't be too surprising considering the location of the hospitals and their primary patient populations.

If you really want high acuity, go to a county program like NYU/Bellevue.

This shouldn't be too surprising considering the location of the hospitals and their primary patient populations.

If you really want high acuity, go to a county program like NYU/Bellevue.

Ask the attendings who trained at Bellevue that are now at SLR where the acuity is higher :)

For the record, Dr. Clark is stepping down, not leaving. He is still staying on as an attending and doing all the retreats and mentoring activities he excels at.

Makati - It was really more of a feel thing for me. 4 years of 12 hour shifts, 2 days, 2 mids, 2 nights, 2 off seemed to be a little brutal for not that much prestige. That said, I'm sure great residents come out of there. It just wasn't for me.

Can anyone comment on the acuity and critical care focus of SLR?

These residency reviews helped me in the past. Never liked how comments on residency programs are scattered throughout SDN rank lists and doximity comments so here is a compilation of comments over the years.

Well known for amazing resident wellness and truly has a cohesive group of residents that almost all live together right across from MSW. Reputation of clinical training has always been strong with really great fellowship turn out to many coveted 4 year em residencies. Provides strong clinically at the county St. Luke's site and more community tertiary patients at the mount sinai west site. While not much trauma in Manhattan, residents get plenty of exposure at either shock trauma or miami trauma elective. NYC has amazing diversity and these residents get to see such a variety of medically sick patients. IMHO is the best for working with diverse medically sick patients in a supportive environment that truly believes that you will get the most out of this residency by being pushed to your limit and being allowed to rest and decompress.

Though I am not a fan of New York City, the program reputation is amazing and was told by adviser that it is in their opinion the best program in new york city for clinical training in 3 years. The housing stipend is nice but the area is still crazy expensive.

Residents were so chill and all like best friends. Love that there is subsidized housing and the residents can all live together in the same apartment complex. Transportation to both sites by shuttle is super convenient. Never lived in NYC before and a little scared, but the atmosphere of relaxed residents that are humble but crazy smart cannot be denied. Also does not hurt that program is a top tier nationally known program with amazing fellowship placement

Rotated here and had such a blast. Residents were the smartest that I have encountered. Faculty super approachable and always an advocate to support you. Too bad my rotation was in the summer and I still can't get over the snow. If I didn't care about location this would be my number 1. Best program in new york and potentially the northeast in my humble opinion.

Amazing national reputation, best interview dinner at the resident's house, new york city probably has the most diverse pathology. Trauma is not that big in nyc but they have trauma blocks elsewhere and also trauma is an algorithm. Awesome post graduate placement with some of the most competitive fellowships and jobs. Wellness is truly emphasized to provide the tools for not only residency, but also longevity in a successful career. Great 50/50 of mount sinai west academic tertiary feel and st luke's county population. Have heard nothing but the best from other applicants that rotated their. NYC is so popular residents and faculty are both diverse. Housing stipend from mount sinai is awesome.

Pros: great admin/APDs, wellness, community, housing, 3 yrs
Cons: Not much trauma, trauma run through surgery, U/S, small EDs

Amazing reputation in NY. Was told by adviser that it is the best 3 years in nyc. Love the bond between the residents that has developed from living in the same apartment complex. Great diversity and pathology with the multiple sites from lower east side beth israel to columbus circle mount siani west and the more county population for St. Lukes. Least amount of scutwork compared to other ny programs. Amazing fellowship and job placement. Program wasn't on my radar before and after asking around supposedly a top program. The not so hidden gem.

Chill residents, great PD, less crazy/crowded than other NYC programs, strong emphasis on wellness, seemingly balanced for a 3 year program. Not super keen on NYC, but if I was this would be my pick.

Pros: incredibly smart, cool, and diverse residents, great leadership, great clinical/practice site diversity with the two sites, strong EM focused curriculum, strong work/life balance, decent subsidized housing. Love NYC

Cons: lack of strong university backing, lack of trauma exposure, (all NYC programs), not a huge reputation outside of EM, high COL

Amazing residents. Love how close they are with them all living together in the same apartment complex. Great reputation in the EM world and good reputation association with mount sinai name. I live the 2 different site contrast for more of a tertiary vs county feel of west and st luke. Trauma is not abundant, but there are tons of diverse medically sick patients and job and fellowship placement has been amazing. Very em focused efficient curriculum with no BS rotations.

P: Happiest residents I met on the trail. Energy was infectious. Great 3 year program. Residents and faculty seemed like great friends together. Dr. Egan is so nice. Great new fun curriculum change from the APD that previously trained at Highland. 2 site county academic training model. Great reputation in the EM field. Great job placement.

N: NYC is very expensive but subsidized housing helps. For sure not a negative for me but maybe for others that this is lower on doximity. Who knows if training in nyc will be that much "worse" than the other programs above. Who knows if "less reputable" program grads are actually less prepared than "historic program" grads. After 5 years as an attending everyone will probably be the same.

(+) - SUPER chill residents, had a great time at the pre-event, and throughout the day with them. Dr. Egan is great, emphasis on wellness is clear. They do still work a lot though. Two different sites that give good case mix. Mt Sinai reputation. Love NYC!

(-) - not great trauma exposure, thinking about going to shock trauma or Elmhurst. The big thing was the lack of mentorship or focus in the areas I'm interested in. Residents were all nice and chill, but I wanted to be surrounded by go-getters.

Super friendly residents and great faculty. Best combination of clinical excellence and wellness. My SO doesn't want to live in NYC though as much.

Don't want to raise kids in manhattan.

Great reputation, big alumni network, good focus on wellness. Very smart, friendly attendings who like to teach. Shadowed in the ED and saw some crazy things. Definitely seems like they get you being autonomous very early. Have friends in NYC, would be a cool experience.

Cons: Everyone else seemed to love this program but I didn’t get a super special vibe by any means. Expensive COL for everyday things. I really want to keep my car and that is basically not feasible here. Didn’t fall head over heels in love for resident housing like many of them have/did/are (and they’re bumping the price significantly this year, or were trying to last I heard (December)). I don’t know, I just didn’t click or feel it. Central Park is great but it seems harder to escape into nature here than other places. Decent beaches are far away. Cold winters.

Favorite thing(s): Family feel, NYC, friends!

Pros: Like all the NYC programs I checked out, very diverse patient population. Faculty mostly seemed young & enthusiastic, and very willing to teach on shift. All of the residents really seemed to like each other to the point of being a little cult-y, but hey, as a single person who knows no one in NYC yet, I think this tightness between residents is ideal for me. Seems that lots of grads are going into med ed fellowships or right into academic spots without a fellowship at all, so the mentorship and infrastructure must be there for what I’m most interested in.

Cons: No level 1 trauma center experience besides one month of dedicated trauma in either Miami or Jersey, neither location which interests me at all. Even though the 3 faculty and chief resident who interviewed me were all nice, I didn’t click with a single one and this worried me a bit. I think they sold the whole “family” vibe a little too strong/heavy which says a lot coming from me, a young single person who’s hoping for a close-knit residency class with lots of co-workers to hang out without outside of the hospital… it just seemed very forced, compared to Temple, BMC where I could tell they all liked each other and went out on the town together often, without them having to repeatedly state it outright.

NYC is awesome. Program seemed well-rounded. Dr. Egan is the man. 3 years is amazing. Nothing really stood out though, and NYC is not my first choice of city for many reasons.

Pros: Well-known for resident wellness. Cushest program in NYC.

Cons: Didn't really hit it off with the PD although he seems like a nice guy. Manhattan is crazy and expensive, even with the slightly subsidized housing.

Pro: Only 3 year I applied to in NYC. PD is great. Know residents here personally and they are super happy and love the program. Location in NYC cannot be beat (especially as a gay man haiii hell's kitchen). Housing is cheap and centrally located (however heard it's increasing 40% this year!!). Both sites look pretty modern especially for NYC hospitals.

Cons: NYC hospitals and all the **** that comes with them. Trauma and peds experiences much less than I'd get basically anywhere else in the US.

Pros:
Immediate bond with this program from the first moment. Unlike many other NYC programs, I felt that SLR had a supportive and family-like environment as well as the academic and hard-working vibes as well. Really felt like I had found my group of people during the dinner and interview day. All trauma on west side of Manhattan goes to St. Luke’s. Shift schedule was attractive for NYC program: 12’s as intern, 9’s as PGY2-3 (with exception of weekends). Run the department as PGY3. The Mount Sinai EMS program is run from this hospital. Residents go onto fellowships and jobs all over the country, and many at top programs. One graduating resident going to Pitt for critical care in July. Subsidized housing provided. Residents are unionized with great benefits.

Cons:
Trauma isn’t as frequent as people would like, but that’s a Manhattan problem. Must go to Shock Trauma or Camden, NJ for a month to supplement trauma experience.

Biggest surprise of the trail. Program is fantastic. They have EM only MICU team where the 3rd year serves as a senior as well as a team in the ED that is run by a third year who also has an intern on his/her team. Scheduling is very fair. As far as living in NYC, they provide subsidized housing across from one hospital with free transportation to the other and have a salary that is significantly higher than other non-NYC programs.

Cons: some concern that the patients they see aren't sick enough due to location in upper west side, but residents seemed to refute this.

St Luke's Roosevelt: Residents here were very happy and I loved the program leadership. Manhattan would be an amazing place to live. Flexibility of program allows you to focus on your career interests, despite being a 3 year program. Con - critical care experience seems weak.

St. Luke's Roosevelt–Pros: 3 years, solid curriculum, super cool residents, allotted break time during shift, program seems to care lots about residents well being, subsidize housing ( or parking if you don't use their housing); cons: may be lacking on trauma, expensive place to live.

MS-SLR: Absolutely loved this place. The residents were so friendly and just seemed like the type of people I would want to spend time within inside and outside of the hospital. I also really liked the ED heavy curriculum, although I would appreciate a little more ICU time. The didactics seems strong, with a good amount of attending and resident lecture time. The Roosevelt ED seemed newer but less busy while the Luke's ED was packed but not quite as nice. Despite the ICU time issue, this program seems pretty perfect and also gave me that "gut feeling" people always talk about.

SLR: (+) NYC, residents happy, high throughput, reputation, scholarly tracks, no floor months, Baltimore/Miami Trauma, great benefits/retreats. (-) Less peds than some, housing small, hours.

SLR: This program is a gem! Great PD totally invested in resident wellness, strong reputation, amazing residents. I just couldn’t stomach living in NYC and again SO had better opportunities elsewhere.

Would chose it again in a heartbeat.Fantastic and unique group of people to work with with a pervasive culture of supportiveness, great spectrum of pathology, and wonderful location. I was offered every job I applied for after residency throughout the U.S.

Amazing I have been in love with SLR EM residency since day one. The administration is very responsive to resident needs and the two hospitals provide a wide range of exposure to disease processes. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in a terrific residency in an urban setting.

Couldn't be happier with residency experience In my opinion this is the best residency in NYC if not one of the best in the country. It's a 3 year program we see a wide array of pathology. Chiefs do a great job of accepting schedule requests. The program really cares about resident wellness and constantly adapting to find new ways to enhance conference and educational opportunities.

Great education, amazing residency family. Could not find a better bunch anywhere

BEST RESIDENCY PROGRAM EVERAfter just completing my first year as an attending I can confidently say that we have one of the best residencies in the country. I felt confidents and VERY well trained to be a first year attending. I worked with 2 other new graduates and it was clear that my training allowed me to have a smoother transition than theirs did. I had no problem getting a job and a MASSIVE network of alumni who helped get me connected in a new city. I would recommend our program to anyone who wants a high volume, diverse, high acuity setting where you will have great exposure and great training.

Three hard but very rewarding yearsAn incredible program that trained me to handle anything

Wide breadth of clinical development with supportive academic faculty.Mount Sinai St. Luke's Roosevelt Residency program trained me to be an efficient emergency physician, with a wide breadth of experience treating bread and butter cases, traveler's illness, and more rare diagnoses due to their two clinical sites within New York City using clinical exam and judicious testing. One urban, hospital site in Morningside Heights exposes residents to the underserved NYC community, while the mid-town/upper west side site will provide a wide spectrum of insured, indigent, and travelers. The program leadership is supportive, well-connected and emphasizes resident wellness. Upon graduation, we are well known in the community and at fellowships as clinically prepared, efficient, and productive.

SLR!Busy hospitals in a busy city. The two hospitals alone provide enough diversity. The most responsive residency leadership around. Don't like something about a rotation...it's fixed right away. Physician wellness is huge here. You'll graduate from this program and be able to work anywhere you want, academics or community. I graduated and immediately worked in a single coverage situation at a busy hospital and was very well prepared. Long time known to have one of the best residency cultures around and this has not changed. Kept it's own flair despite changing to a Sinai owned hospital. The programs remain separate. Baltimore or Miami for trauma.

Strong ProgramThis is such a great program, and I left there extremely well-prepared for practice in a single coverage ED. They emphasize EBM, minimal/focused work-ups, and have great academic mentorship to support you in whatever field of EM you choose. If I had to do it all again, SLR would absolutely still be my #1 choice.

My top choice, the best choice.I felt completely supported during my residency. I saw a lot, learned a lot, and grew... a lot, both as a physician and a person.

Incredible learning environment that taught me more than just medicineYou will see a lot of patients, a lot of sick ones, and learn how to manage a very high volume department. You will learn to respect your nurses and work with different personality types. It was overall a wonderful experience that emphasized resident happiness in addition to learning medicine.

Most amazing program I graduated from St. Lukes-Roosevelt 3 years ago and still maintain very close friendships with many of my co-residents as well as a few of my attendings. I learned great medicine from really amazing people and felt that I was well prepared to practice in a number of different environments (which I have). To me, the most important and unique thing about this program is the people and the mentorship. Having traveled a good bit and having practiced in a few hospitals, I dont get the sense that everyone has had the same experience in residency. I always felt supported,safe, and encouraged even when I made mistakes. Even though residency is extremely difficult, and I believe it should be so that you are prepared to handle the worst disasters in the ER, this program allows its residents to thrive, build confidence, and take care of patients the way we would want ourselves and family members to be taken care of in an emergency. I highly recommend this program.

SLR One of the best programs in NYC and the country. Great faculty, unique level of responsibility for third years who really run their own unit. Many opportunities at national level from championship sim team to CPC competitions, ACEP/EMRA involvement. I'd go again in an instant.

You will learn to quickly and efficiently manage a high volume of patients from a very unique/diverse patient population from along the entire west side of Manhattan. Also the hospital subsidized housing next to Columbus Circle, in the heart of NYC, provides a once in a lifetime experience. I would do the same program again without hesitation.

I was very prepared for life outside emergency medicine. Has as strong academic presence and I was well published with many resources that I can take advantage of. You see a wide range of pathology between to two different sites and get significant trauma exposure as well as critical care exposure. Dan Egan is a gem also, you cannot find a better PD. I would recommend SLR to anyone looking to go into EM

Best program in NYC. Anyone would be lucky to be a part of the SLR family!

I had a great experience in residency and believe I was very well prepared to practice in any setting. My classmates still number among my best friends.

Attendings were great, education excellent. Great leadership when I was a resident, but now wish I could be there with Dan Egan as my PD.

I and my co residents were beyond prepared for all that EM can throw at you out here in the real world. We had THE most fun, THE best attendings, THE best housing, THE best learning. Years later we are all still connected.

st luke's has it all- amazing attendings/leadership/structure to the residency- they foster such a great community and group of friends and colleagues; ny is the best place you could do residency if you like city life/culture/food/fun! they help you w housing; you can totally afford to experience all ny has to offer- you are so over trained when you leave there- the only bad thing is that the whole experience is so wonderful and you learn so much that the rest of your career seems like the pits! miss those days- nothing like it

This is an incredibly supportive program with great mentorship and a faculty that cares deeply about resident education and wellness. Graduates have placed in top fellowships across the country and many are now in leadership positions.

I was lucky to train at such an amazing, supportive residency. I highly recommend it and feel that it prepared me to work in several settings...academic, community, every socioeconomic population, and several cities throughout the US

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm a current resident at this super awesome em program. Feel free to ask questions!! :D

Just as a heads up: the website is outdated. Chen He is now the PD.