NSLIJHS/Hofstra North Shore-Long Island Jewish (New Hyde Park) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mutjeng2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all long time lurker first time poster..

I agree with some of the statements above.

Stony Brook was pretty laid back. I got the impression that the PD was very open and pro-resident. No really tough questions they wanted to know if you had any questions for them tho..

Some other impressions
St. Lukes (NYC) -Another laid back place, residents were happy and all the attendings were on a first name basis with the residents. And the housing was phenomenal, I mean can you really chose a residency based on housing?!?:! hmmmm.. I like the idea of splitting shifts at two different sites just cause they give you the idea of two different worlds a. private b. indigent...

LIJ- Also laid back and residents seemed happy and my goodness they're pay is phenomenal. Some residents actually live in manhattan and commute to long island.. can you really chose a residency based on salary.. hmmmm... maybe I'm focused on the benefits too much.. hahahah.. but in all seriousness these are the things that will add up over the next 3-4years.. The ED was okay but not much trauma.. they rotate at jacobi for that experience so I can imagine that they'll see their fair share over there.

SUNY Brooklyn.. Man, this place is a knife an gun club.. lots of trauma and lots of opportunities to do procedures. Residents work their asses off but in general they seem happy that they're in that kind of environment... Attendings on the most part were receptive. Dr. Lucchesi, the chariman is a badass tho.. he teaches and flies through patients and doesn't mind taking on medstudnts throughout his shift. I have a little more to say about this place cause i rotated through here..

Brooklyn Hospital.. small program and didn't get a chance to talk to residents much.. its one of the few places that I had a really bad interview.. i mean i got pimped on "interesting cases you've seen" and I had to make differential for AMS. ugh.. small program and not level1 yet.. but their trauma room is being built now and supposedly should be ready by next year.. cool ultrasound opportunities tho.. one of the attendings is big on US research..

That's all i got for now.. i'm still on the East coast swing.. i'll let everybody know how the rest of them go..

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone on this forum interviewed here? Seems like there is just this one blurb about the program, curious to know more

I've heard tale that this program is switching from 4 to 3 years. Will anyone that has interviewed confirm or deny? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard tale that this program is switching from 4 to 3 years. Will anyone that has interviewed confirm or deny? Thanks
They're merging with north shore which is a 3 year. They haven't decided yet in the final outcome . Basically they said that whichever one you entered at you'll have the option to do (aka if you want a 4 year you can do that). They're leaning towards maybe a 3+1 but it hasn't been entirely decided

Reactions: 1 user
They're merging with north shore which is a 3 year. They haven't decided yet in the final outcome . Basically they said that whichever one you entered at you'll have the option to do (aka if you want a 4 year you can do that). They're leaning towards maybe a 3+1 but it hasn't been entirely decided

PD did not tell us that we had an option of doing 4 year or 3+1 year. He just said if the merging with NS did not happen this year, then the incoming class would be in a 4 yr program.

PD did not tell us that we had an option of doing 4 year or 3+1 year. He just said if the merging with NS did not happen this year, then the incoming class would be in a 4 yr program.
I was told we could enter as which programs we ranked. Aka 4 years at LIJ and 3+1 at north shore. It's the in between that was weird. Like there really wasn't an answer as to if I applied to LIJ could I get the 3+1 or vice versa.

I was told we could enter as which programs we ranked. Aka 4 years at LIJ and 3+1 at north shore. It's the in between that was weird. Like there really wasn't an answer as to if I applied to LIJ could I get the 3+1 or vice versa.

I am sure most ppl want a 3 yr prgm and I take this vague message seriously in my rank order. From what I understand, you cannot get 3+1 option from LIJ, at least not for 2016. NS from Manhasset is always a 3yr prgm and 3+1 probably means that you do 1 extra yr at LIJ in New Hyde Park?

From my interview day, I got the impression that a LIJ- NSU merger is like a big earthquake prediction... it's been talked about for a dozen years, but unsure when it'd really happen. However, I believe Dr. Becker, the new chair, has been brought in to oversee the merger so now it may really happen http://medicine.hofstra.edu/about/news/pressreleases/102315_BeckerEMG.html

I think it's a well-respected program in a crowded NYC field. One of the older ones, founded in 1983. Remarkable pay 6,000 more per year than any other program I interviewed at. They work 12's and 18/ 17/ 16/ 14 (per block or month?) from PGY1- 4. A level II adult trauma center and a level I peds. Do let me know if I have any of my facts wrong!

I think it's a well-respected program in a crowded NYC field. One of the older ones, founded in 1983. Remarkable pay 6,000 more per year than any other program I interviewed at. They work 12's and 18/ 17/ 16/ 14 (per block or month?) from PGY1- 4. A level II adult trauma center and a level I peds. Do let me know if I have any of my facts wrong!

Just be aware that ACS designated level 2 trauma center doesn't mean much in NYC because all traumas are transported to state designated regional trauma centers, which LIJ is not.

http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/trauma2.htm

Reactions: 1 user