University of Nebraska Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutt22

mutt22
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year resident. I've been very happy with the training experience. We have an exceptional ED that is a well oiled machine. It is brand new and compared to the national average, I believe we have above average patient to resident ratio, providing intensive training with all the patients that you can shake a stick at. We have physicians assistants that provide 12 hours of fast track coverage. This results in a higher level of acuity as most of the small stuff gets seen by them. However, at night, you do see an adequate number of sniffles and sneezes and peds with ear infections to become proficient. The attendings are all nice people. Sure, a couple of them are grumpy from time to time, but overall, they are very non-malignant. (I've had some experience doing away rotations at other places, and ours are much nicer. Of course that was probably the fact that I was a student, and was probably a general nuisance.) The off service rotations are rigorous, but you have several cush rotations in your first year that make life bearable (rad/ultrasound, intro month, anesth, EMS). Omaha is a nice place to live, at least for me and my family. The cost of living is very cheap, and we get paid better than the average residency. Right now we are making 49,000 as 3rd years. So, in summary, it is a solid residency. No, we are not staffed by people who are all pioneers of Emergency Medicine like some of the old programs. Also, Omaha does not have the reputation of being the most exciting place to live especially compared to New York, or Las Vegas. If you are looking for a solid program to train at with a very efficient ED and a very non-malignant program, then come on out. PM me if you need more information.

I'm thinking of doing an externship there next year and was wondering if anyone has experience with this program? I'm looking for programs in the midwest to rotate at, any others people would recommend?

s[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from University of Nebraska. It is a level one trauma center and a tertiary referral center. It has a large catchment area from helicopters for trauma. I saw more patients from the Von Mauer shooting than from tractor accidents, however. Less gunshots than some programs, but we get our share from North Omaha. There are a lot of rolling hills, and dirt cheap housing. Most of the residents lived within a 40 minute drive, and bought houses for $120,000- $140,000. About 30 minutes to the west of the hospital is a sprawling suburbia (West Omaha). About 20 minutes to the South is Bellevue a beautiful suburb, rated one of the top places to live in the US by some obscure magazine. We get paid a lot as a resident compared to other residencies, especially when considering the low cost of living. (HO I0-$48,160 HO II-$49,943 HO III-$51,978)

It was a great place to train, with no fast-track patients and a lot of really sick people from both the inner-city population as well as some upper crust snobs to keep you on your toes (think Warren Buffet types).

I can't think of a better place to train if you want to go rural, or at least, less academic and more community based. We do one month in our 2nd and 3rd years in a place called Scottsbluff, where you are the only ER resident, and there are only 1-2 FP residents in the whole hospital. I lysed MIs out there, put in chest tubes, intubated patients, ran codes, and was the procedure person for the whole time I was there. I got to see traumas run without medical students or other residents (much fewer people in the way). It confirmed my desire to practice in a more rural area.

Residency issues aside, it was a great place for a family, with a very active resident spouse association and tons of activities for children. My wife became great friends with dozens of spouses even outside of the ER group (great source of juicy gossip about other residents and the inner workings of their programs).

Last edited:
This is a review sent to me by a SDN user who interviewed there and wishes to remain anonymous. I am posting it verbatim as a service for the SDN community.

University of Nebraska (Omaha, NE)

Pros: Tons of resources. The simulation center was off the F-ing hook. The attendings and residents all seemed to have a great relationship. The ED is gorgeous, it could be a hotel. They definitely listen to the residents and their input; they’re starting an EMS fellowship because one of the residents wanted it.

Cons: It’s in Omaha and I’m a city person. Otherwise I can’t think of a bad thing about this program.

Impression: If it wasn’t in Omaha, it would be much higher up my list. I plan on working in an urban setting after residency, so that’s the type of place I want to train at. If you are thinking more rural, I’d highly recommend this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone speak about this program, major pros and cons. Quality of Ultrasound training, level of autonomy, mid-levels taking cases, Can you moonlight and when, etc.

I'm a recent graduate from UNMC program. I feel extremely well-trained in this program. Lots of autonomy in general. Of course, some attending might be more micro-managing than others, but in general, you get plenty of autonomy. Plenty of help from seniors too. Residents pick up all patients. 3rd years pick up sickest patients (code 3 patients that is highest acuity). We have pretty sick population here with plenty of opportunities for chest tube, intubation, central lines and codes. You definitely feel confident when you become attending. Faculty listen to resident input and really make changes accordingly. Great nurses and techs as well. Interns work 12 hour shifts (noon to midnight), and 2nd and 3rd years work 8+1 hour shifts. Not bad at all. We really have great relations among residents and faculty. Faculty are not allowed to moonlight at any other places, so they are truly devoted to our education. Quality of ultrasound training is top notch as well. We have two amazing Philip Sparq that will wirelessly upload to qpath for your review. We have dedicated month for ultrasound in your first year, and if you'd like, you can do ultrasound again in your elective month in your senior years. Great teaching from ultrasound faculty. They are truly dedicated. Mid-levels only work for fast track, and even then, they will give you their complicated cases. You may moonlight as long as the program director allows. It's relatively easy. Typically in your 3rd year. You cannot moonlight at Nebraska Medicine, but there are plenty of opportunities for moonlighting outside with very good pay, within a driving distance. There are plenty of low volume ED's in the suburbs of Omaha. If you like the city of Omaha, you will love the program.