Geisinger Health System Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here from Geisinger or know much about the program? Is it true they have to wear shirt and ties in the ED all day? Any info on this program first hand would be appreciated. I really need some first hand knowledge.

Also about Penn State's new program if anyone knows about it.

Gracias!

Members don't see this ad.

corpsmanUP said:
Anyone here from Geisinger or know much about the program? Is it true they have to wear shirt and ties in the ED all day? Any info on this program first hand would be appreciated. I really need some first hand knowledge.

Also about Penn State's new program if anyone knows about it.

Gracias!

I can vouch for the tie thing; interviewed in Novemeber and saw it first-hand. One of the residents confided that they're trying to get the dress code changed.

corpsman are you still interviewing? How many are you doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
EctopicFetus said:
corpsman are you still interviewing? How many are you doing?

I thought I was done but there ended up being several places on my list that I didn't even want to rank. And my wife is from Pa, about 25 minutes from Geisinger, so I figured I would give them a fair look. Like most of the places I have interviewed (family first policy), you can live like an attending if you pretend you are working less hours. Houses are cheap, life is nice in the mountains, and schools are more than acceptable. But Pa is sort of one of those places where you can have a nice town right down the road from the most depressed factory-centered town straight out of "All the Right Moves". And I don't know a ton about Danville or Hershey...and would just like to know if anyone has some really good info or opinions of these programs that they would be willing to share. That whole tie thing though could be a real issue for their recruiting....as I won't be wearing a tie in the ED I can swear right now on Chesty Puller and Carlos Hathcock's graves! I don't care if I have to get a dermatologist to write a freaking note saying I have severe contact dermatitis in region II of the neck to anything other than oxygen, nitrogen, and CO2!!! :laugh: The whole no tie deal is at least 10% of the reason I chose this specialty and I ain't about to go back now. Offservice rotations...I can tolerate them...even the suits at Mayo...cool for a short period of time. But no stinking ties in the ED. Nothing but a vector and a leash for the psych patient to take you for a walk.

Last 2 interviews:

Geisinger Medical Center- Danville, Pa. This is an old established program in the middle of rural Pennsylvania. It is most impressive! The hospital is nearly the size of St. Mary's at Mayo, or at least it looks that way on the side of the mountain there. This truly is a gorgeous place to live. They have a rather new ED that is super modern, and they have one of the true "resident led" flight services. After nearly 30 years of doing this, they know how to train a resident in EM. If you look at faculty bios across the country, it is rather common to see someone from this place. Its just not all that talked about because it is probably a bit difficult to get someone to go to the middle of rural Pa for residency when there are so many other choices in the Northeast. But I'll admit without any doubt that this is the best program in the state and perhaps the region. I interviewed at 3 places in this state and this was the most impressive. If you have kids and want to live in a beautiful place where schools are great, and where there is a lot to do outdoors, this is a place to see. Housing is a bit pricey for rural America, but you can drive 15 minutes out of town and get a 4 acre farm for less than most houses in a city. And the issue with them wearing ties in the ED is now resolved I have been told. They are ordering monogrammed scrub tops to be worn with khaki pants daytime and then complete scrub sets are allowed after daytime hours. They work a very fair number of shifts and they have great off service rotations...like NO medicine, NO surgery...just critical care stuff. Definitely the hidden gem of Pennsylvania. The only thing that would make this place better would be to get a major name to affiliate with in order to help give it more recognition nationwide. It would be cool to have a UPenn Geisinger, or a Penn State Geisinger (which it used to be I believe). But overall a definite strong "A" program. Residents were super cool and faculty were as well. PD was laid back and easy to talk to. Loved it!

After several months of fielding PM's from my many SDN buddies, I thought I would share my experience in the transfer process to help answer many of the questions I have been asked over and over again. To start, most of you know I matched in 2006 at University of Iowa EM program. I spent a total of 15 months there before transfering rather seamlessly to the EM program at Geisinger Medical Center in central Pennsylvania. At the root of my transfer desire was a need to get closer to family. Admittedly, the program in Iowa was a new program with many painful challenges ahead of it and I was blessed to be able to transfer in to a veteran EM program in Geisinger.

After several months of dialogue between the PD at Geisinger, and my own PD in Iowa, I was able to arrange a transfer that was supported by all. I arrived GMC after taking 4 weeks off to move, so I will end up graduating a little later than the rest of my fellow 2nd years at GMC. What I gained professionally by moving to GMC, that I can now understand better after being at 2 different programs, was such:

Faculty: Many decades of experience and very willing to let you NOT consult for every little patient issue that happens to overlap another specialty. We send people out who are not sick...bottom line. At some institutions, there seems to be a "consult" mentality where even well patients get consults to make the attending EM doc more comfortable, ultimately resulting in a cascade of more work for many people.

Air: GMC starts you flying in your intern year. Admittedly the volume has dropped off some, but in my 5 months there, I have flown half a dozen times on scene calls. Intern year you fly a month straight, and then you start flying set shifts in 2nd year. There are 3 flight shifts a day, and you have a reasonably good chance of flying. And if nothing else, I get to wear a comfy flight suit on those shifts instead of baggy scrubs that have to be exchanged or washed!!

Central Pa: I really won big when I made it to central Pa. This is outdoorsman's paradise. On my off time, I comb the 5,000 acres of state game land 9 miles from the hospital, fishing trout streams, hunting, or just hiking. I am an hour from great skiiing, 2 hours from the cities of Phili and NYC, 3 from DC, 2.5 from Baltimore.

Ultimately the transfer was the best thing for myself and my family. It just so happened that I was able to make the move to a 30+ year old program with a track record fo training EM docs and a known method of doing such. Faculty is supportive. Work hours are very reasonable. Scut work is minimal.

Lastly..Resident Quality: In all seriousness, when I was interviewing in EM around the country 2 years ago, one priority for me was to be around a group of people that stimulated and challenged me to be my best. Geisinger has been tremendous in this respect. It is amazing how freaking smart my fellow residents are. Every day I am amazed at how much these residents know, and I am honestly somewhat intimidated by their knowledge. I learn from the interns here. I learn from everyone! There are no marginal performers in this group, and we all get along well!

Socially: couldn't ask for a better group of residents to watch your back and drink a cold one with you. In my 5 months here, I have hosted a superbowl party and had 30 people show up. I have been to multiple gatherings, poker parties at staff homes, chili cookoffs, etc etc.. And this is in winter! I can't wait to see how much we all do over the summer. I'm even getting ready to brew beer in my basement with one of my fellow residents! Our new chief resident is also an incredible guy who will only continue to improve things for us.

Pathology: You'll get this anywhere there is an accredited program. But the beauty of a small program is not having to take 15 signouts at shift start like one of my buddies back at a county program in the south. You want a volume that allows you to see patients non stop, probably getting comfortable with 15-18 patients per 9 hour shift. The path is not overwhelming but it is a sick population in general since we are the backstop for every hospital within basically 150 miles in all directions. Typical scenario...you get all the patients with anything serious, from anywhere close to us.

Transfering is not a pleasant process, but I really lucked out in ending up at GMC. I wish I had started here in my intern year to be quite honest. If you have any questions about the transfer process in general, please PM me.

Consider Geisinger if you have kids, just want a small city lifestyle with exceptional EM training, want the ability to afforadably live 5 minutes from work, no traffic, or if you just enjoy beautiful surroundings with mountains and 4 seasons! 2 univerisities within 15 minutes, Bucknell U. one town west in Lewisburg, and Bloomsburg U. one town east in Bloomsburg. Retails shops 10 minutes away like Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart, Panera Bread, and great niche restaurants of typical college communities.

I interviewed there last year and really was impressed with everything. I just have personal reservations about flying.....

Something else , It was actually one of the only places that had a planned 'spouse' day while I interviewed. My g/f went with me and really enjoyed that....

I think others on here will be happy to see your helpful story, thanks for taking the time for a nice lengthy detailed post!

:thumbup:

**I have spent MANY summers in rural PA (near Somerset and Bedford.,..about 150 miles from you). BEAUTIFUL countrysides and great people. Go find some Amish and eat some of their raisin cookies.. yum yum!

I am currently finishing my second year at Geisinger in Emergency Medicine. We have been tie free since before I started. But, I still get questions when interviewing applicants about ties. We can wear scrubs, scrub tops w/ khakis or if you really feel the need, a tie. Have really loved the program so far. Great opportunities as Flight Physician, PD is the state EMS director, resident run ED, level 1 trauma center in rural PA. Its really a unique program that I accidently stumbled accross as a 4th yr.

I am currently finishing my second year at Geisinger in Emergency Medicine. We have been tie free since before I started. But, I still get questions when interviewing applicants about ties. We can wear scrubs, scrub tops w/ khakis or if you really feel the need, a tie. Have really loved the program so far. Great opportunities as Flight Physician, PD is the state EMS director, resident run ED, level 1 trauma center in rural PA. Its really a unique program that I accidently stumbled accross as a 4th yr.

Wow, dcg3u, thanks for digging up such an old thread!!

I do, however, concur with dcg here. We no longer wear shirts/ties. We may wear scrubs (personalized top with matching bottom). We also have the option of wearing ties if we really must. We most recently had to wear the scrub top/khaki combo, which many do not like.

Either way, Geisinger is a nice place - plenty busy, and feeling the bed crunch everyone else is...

jd

That's freaking hilarious how I addressed the whole tie issue previously. Having spent my first half of residency in the midwest and now my second half at Geisinger, I too can attest that the tie issue is a dead issue. As states above, we actually have a "full scrub" policy. The only caveat is that they cannot be the ugly, thin, drawstring, lightblue hospital scrubs. You have to wear the cool monogrammed Navy blue scrubs of high quality and matching scrub pants. I am ordering Aviator scrub pants currently, as they are the best with great pockets, durable material, and zippers!

I'll second DCG's comments about Geisinger though. Great place! Delaughter hits a good point in how we are feeling the bed crunch, but that means you are seeing a lot of people and learning the art of moving people through and trying to triage at times when lots of badness comes in at the same time. Overall as I have said many times recently, very happy here..., glad to be here, thankful for the opportunity, even if our newly chosen chief happens to look like a certain NSYNC former boybander!!! HAHAHAHA
32018740.jpg

Any news, or opinions, in the last five years?

Thanks, MB

I second the above poster. Would be great if anybody could share some more recent opinions, reviews, experiences, etc. Residents or student that rotated would be great to hear from.

Very infrequently get on SDN anymore, but saw this.

I'm a current 2nd year at Geisinger and would be willing to answer any questions about the residency.

Bump. Very interested in this program. Any info will be much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

I'm curious about the patient volume you guys have at Geisinger. How many patients per shift do residents typically see? How long are your shifts?

Shifts are 9 and 12's (12 for fast track, 9 regular ED, 12 for flight) at the GMC ED. Community hours will vary depending on location.

Volume can vary widely. I average around 2 patient's per hour over a month and that's around what the rest of my class sees as well. Take that with a grain of salt as our acuity is pretty high, so a 2 pph here is different than elsewhere.

It's a good program. Everywhere I've interviewed at has known the program and has high respect for its graduates.

If your interested in flying, its the place to be. Nothing like a scene call or a sick ED transfer to get the juices flowing.

Reactions: 1 user