University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that this program was better than average but unfortunately I saw it less than 12 hours after I had just left Indy. I made the drive over on I-74 about 3 hours west in moderate snowfall, and met them residents at a seafood place on the Illinois river in east Peoria. Now I must say, this group of residents was much easier to get to know than virtually any group I had met thus far. We were all sitting down and throwing back cold pale ales within the first 30 seconds and it was like we had known each other our whole lives. A couple of the applicants though made it painfully obvious that this interview was for them nothing more than a backup for all the Chicago programs they really wanted to go to. They were just a bit snobbish and thus it just let me have more fun with the residents one on one.

They put me in a free hotel and did not require me to show up until 10AM. For this alone I should rank them very high!!! They have a very nice program director, and faculty, and they have a long record of training great EM docs and have tons of research among them. It really felt like a small program in a small town, which is nice for many types of applicants. They have an average ED which is a little cramped, and their facilities are scattered among several city blocks where you have to be a map writer to be competent enough to make it from one place to the next. We had a 2nd year touring us who admitted he still gets turned around. Their flight system seems to be good but after just coming from Indy I felt there was little comparrison. But we all have top be realistic and understand that Indy has 17 spots, and if all 2000 EM applicants interviewed there, probably half would rank it top. And so I think it is very relevant for future people who read this thread to make darn sure you have some good-to-excellent programs in your top 3 so that when you don't get the "exceptional" program, you have others to fall back on. I was very impressed with the fact that 2 of the residents flat out told me that they had ranked Peoria 2nd. One had ranked Mayo higher, and the other had ranked Maine higher. One had some ties to Peoria but the other did not, and thus I think it says a lot that he ranked it second. Its the kind of place that I think ends up on most everyone's rank list right after the "incredible" programs. And incredible means different things for different people. I have heard some people talk bad about the way Indy runs its program, but for me it is exceptional.

They have 3 helicopters, and they are staffed by a doc/nurse most of the time, but not always. I think their flight program is above average for sure since they fly all three years, and they fly 2 shifts per month which count as their EM shifts as well. And the number and type of shifts they work in Peoria make is extremely attractive. I love that they work 10 hour shifts weekly and 12's on the weekend. They end up with a 3 day weekend and a 2 day weekend every month on their EM service, and they still get 4 more days or so off sometime during the month. They only work like 19-18-18 shifts a month all 3 years.

I really got no feeling about didactics though. They were not really talked about too much. But they do have journal club at faculty homes monthly and after the talk they seem to turn into big pool parties and fun. These people all get along incredibly well and I think Peoria is one of the most livable cities in all the US. You can live 10 minutes from the hospital on an acre of land with a 2000 sqft home for less than 150-200K. And if you just want a home, you can buy a monstrous home for very cheap.

Off service rotations seem to be fine without any real scut. They simply can the rotations that turn into scut and add something different. There is a great deal of faculty support in this respect. The one last weird thing I should mention that might be a plus or a minus to you depending on your experience with it is that this is a Catholic hospital system. It is huge, and seems to be completely run by "the sisters" as everyone refers to them. So I had this feeling that I might get my knuckles slapped with a ruler if I cursed or said something too out of religious line :) Its both good and bad from what one resident told me. He said it keeps faculty from EVER treating residents in any way other than a professional way, and that there is zero tolerance for ANYONE who violates such. That said, he got written up for yelling at a nurse during a code :laugh: ....so it goes both ways. I don;t think you would have a problem unless you abused medical students and nurses...but you know some people just have to manners!!

Also, this place is a huge tertiary/quaternary receiving center and a level I, and has a huge medical school here that supplies an endless stream of med students to help you on many different services. To me this is important because I like to teach. Their board pass rate is high as well. Oh, and their benefits: The highest pay I have seen on the trail at 45-46-47K for 3 years. But if you have a family, the premiums alone run you 200 bucks a month to cover everyone under the hospital HMO and would be much much more if you wanted a PPO. But you would need nothing more than this network I can assure you!

Overall, I give this program a good grade and would be nothing less than happy if I ended up there. I think the main thing when you make your rank list is to make sure you do not include programs on it that would have you unhappy at them. I would certainly prefer to be at a program like this one than one in a major/expensive city, but that is just me speaking as a father and someone who loaths traffic and congestion.

Summary: Better than average flight program, great residents, laid back med school environement, laid back faculty and PD, small town feel, above average pay, low cost of living and a great schedule. I venture to say this place has very little that we don't all put down as acceptable for where we want to end up. Its definitely worth checking out and although you probably won't rank it above a Hennepin or a Cook county if you are the typical young single midwesterner, you will definitely be surprised at how high you will want to rank it compared to what you thought you would rank it before you interviewed. Good solid B+ maybe even A- program.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good program. Overlooked because of location.

Bullet points:
- Fantastic new ER
- Nice faculty members / residents - No malignant personalities
- Will be getting an awesome simulation lab
- Level 1 trauma
- Good patient volume / admit rates

Last edited:
Does anyone have information about how competitive the program is? How many interviewees do they get?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an EM resident in Peoria. Hopefully this can provide some insight to you and anyone else interested:

My guess is that we would probably be in the middle as far as competitiveness goes. They rank a good amount of MD's and DO's. This year, we matched 10 MD's and 2 DO's for our 12 spots (which was increased by 2 from last year's class). The program tends to prefer high scoring DO's to low scoring MD's even though it's an allopathic program. Being an allopathic program, if they have similar scores all other factors being the same, they would prefer the MD's. Overall, I think board scores compared to the average EM program are about average for MD's and above average for DO's. We don't hardly interview any foreign grads (Maybe only one in the last 2 years).

The primary gripe we hear about when we recieve our post-interview feedback is that people love the program but are less than excited about the location. If you're dead set on being in a big city, it's probably not going to be the place for you, but if you don't mind a small city or if you're into less urban living it'll probably suit you fine. The city itself has plenty to offer, especially if you're an outdoorsy-type person. It also has a college town atmosphere around Bradley University, city feeling in the downtown area, rural area 15 minutes outside of downtown, a zoo with African wildlife, water skiing on Lake Peoria, biking, hiking, and horseback riding.

The program itself is notable for having: A brand new 70 bed ER. The trauma service is busy. As a matter of fact I think that many applicants worry that they won't get to see sick patients if they go to Peoria. They should know that this year and last, we have the highest homicide rate in the state. That's right, we've got more action here than the south side of Chicago (Eat your heart out, Cook County). As a side note: We do have an elective Cook county trauma rotation, but most resident's who do it report that they saw more cool trauma here. Last year, they reported a 75k ED census, but so far this year we are up 15% over last years numbers, so I'd expect a pretty significant boost over those numbers.

Psych holds are typically minimal. If you've ever been to a ED that couldn't say this, you'd know what a big deal this is.

We have the largest air EMS program in the state. We also have a tactical EMS elective and foreign medicine elective in Haiti. We have an early ultrasound course which is among the best. No ortho residency (so we get to do all of our own reductions). Highest pay in the region (at least last time I looked) combined with one of the lowest costs of living. Plenty of opportunities to moonlight including state tournaments, festivals, air EMS, and local ER's.

Resident's have an above average amount of time off including 3 full vacation weeks, 1 week for a national meeting/conference, 5 days for Chrstmas or New Years. The insurance and benefits package is great as well. ED residents don't have problems with work hour violations.

There are NO practicing midlevel providers in the ER. This is important! You'll see more and more of midlevels practicing in ER's in the future and should watch out as it can detract from your education). Don't get me wrong, they can be a great part of the team, but detract from ED's with residencies in my opinion.

The program is responsive to resident concerns. This year we cut 2 rotations because we felt the learning vs scut ratio was too high and would get better training and more hands on elsewhere. Similarly we cut one for the same reason last year.

On the negative side: The residency is located in Peoria, which, lets face it...isn't on many people top 5 vacation lists. We're probably middle of the pack when it comes to work hours (Twenty-one 10.5hr shifts 1st year, Twenty 10.5's 2nd year, and eighteen 10.5's second year. We don't work 12's at all anymore). We don't have a burn unit, so most significant burn injuries get transferred out (pretty much everything else stays). The hospital is a Catholic institution so, if you're fanatical about getting to dole out all kinds of contraception you'd be out of luck and abortions are a touchy subject.

Compared to many programs, residents here are more likely to be married and have children. Resident's are from all over. This years incoming class has residents graduating from programs in states including Illinois, Indiana, Texas, Missouri, Minnesotta, Arizona, Wisconsin, California. Graduates tend to go wherever they want when they're done and last years class went to Texas, Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, etc.

Admittedly, the program really wasn't even on my radar until I got here to interview and really was amazed at what it had to offer.

Hopefully, this helps. I'll see if I can get another one of our resident's to chime in here as well.

Last edited:
Great post NEATOMD. I am from the midwest and Peoria is definitely on my radar! I was wondering how is your job placement? Do a lot of people go on to academic programs or community programs? I want to end up in Chicago eventually.

By the sheer number of jobs, it seems that most people go on to community programs. I'm actually looking at going to 2 different academic programs and haven't yet decided whether I would want to be academic or not. I think I'll most likely end up not being academic faculty, at first, anyway. I like teaching, but I also like the idea of doing things on my own (I don't want to have to share all of my procedures). The pay in one of the programs is less for the academic positions because you have less shifts. The other seems earns you a little extra because you get paid to do it on top initially. From my discussions so far, it seems I won't have any problems getting either position.

I sent out my C.V. a couple days ago and have been getting hits from ED's like you wouldn't believe. Literally, everyone of them contacted me back within the first few hours and were trying to set up an interview within 24 hours.

They said this to us back in medical school, and it certainly seems to be true: EM is a relatively close-nit field and you'll graduate a competent, highly competitive EM physcian no matter where go as long as you put the leg work into it. Especially considering that we're talking about a specialty that still has a large percentage of non-EM resident trained physician.

Regarding the Chicago area, residents tend to get jobs there without trouble as well. Peoria is probably better suited to train you for a career in the burbs compared to a downtown program because it would be more like your future practice. That said, most of the programs in Chicago rotate to other hospitals that can get you this experience as well.

As far as becoming staff at a place like Cook County in Chicago...I don't know if you would have trouble getting a position there or not. Honestly, I can't think of any recent grads that applied there. It's just a simple matter of most people who come to Peoria aren't interested in that sort of lifestyle or work environment. I can say that one of my classmates transferred from U of I Chicago to Peoria and seems to prefer it here (hence the switch).

Not a med student or resident, but grew up in Peoria--

1. Chicago is only 2.5 hours away, if you MUST go to a big city.
2. Peorians are very nice people, for the most part, but may tell you their life story while in the Wal-mart checkout lane
3. No traffic to speak of, it takes about 10 minutes max to go anywhere
4. Has several shopping malls, including a sort of upscale one called "The Shoppes at Grand Prarie".
5. The Civic Center has touring Broadway shows coming through
6. Should still see a good mix of gangbangers and farm implement injuries to give you a varied mix of patients.
7. Has a big river (the Illinois), if you are into water.

Disclaimer, I now live in Chicago area. All in all, not a bad place to spend a few years.

Oldiebutgoodie

I'm a resident here & it is a superb program.

The amount of sick patients & variety of pathology surpasses any program (3 different) I did EM audition rotations at. I feel like I'm in a Chicago ER when working.

Our Emergency Department serves as the Level 1 Adult Trauma Center for OSF Saint Francis Hospital AND as the Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center for the Children's Hospital of Illinois. So not only do we have a Pediatric ED, but a Level 1 Pediatric Hospital attached to it. - Can't get better than that. We see a ton of very sick children.

We see a LARGE amount of strokes; the Illinois Neurological Institute (at our hospital) serves as one of the most forefront institutes in stroke research. We take care of ALOT of sick stroke patients and are one of the most aggressive Hospitals in the US when it comes to using tPA - so we get very comfortable with it.

We get to fly on the helicopter early on; and we get paid to moonlight on it. Does it get better?

Most of our faculty are studs & bad*sses in the ED, and their main focus is teaching. And they teach us to be very good docs.

I can support 4 children, a stay at home wife, live in a 3bed/3bath/1garage decent home, and drive a $40k SUV on my salary (Starts at over $50k/yr + awesome benefits for you & family). COL in Peoria is one of the lowest for a city in the country.

2.5 hours from Chicago, 2.5 hours from St. Louis.

Very strong emphasis on Evidence Based Medicine which translates into being a good ER doc & NOT GETTING SUED.

Kick a** program. It's the best kept secret in EM residencies. You'll love it here.

PM me with any questions.

Thanks for the info guys. A buddy of mine is doing Peds at Peoria and he has mentioned over and over that UIC-Peoria is a hidden gem among all specialities. Funny enough I got a residency brochure from them in the mail yesterday.

How is the autonomy there? Residents get along really well with the attendings?

Thanks for the info guys. A buddy of mine is doing Peds at Peoria and he has mentioned over and over that UIC-Peoria is a hidden gem among all specialities. Funny enough I got a residency brochure from them in the mail yesterday.

How is the autonomy there? Residents get along really well with the attendings?

Autonomy is probably middle of the road. I mean, the Attendings will watch over the interns pretty closely, but with the 2nd & 3rd years, they watch from a distance & aren't over bearing. During codes, the 2nd or 3rd year will run it (while the intern does the procedures) & the attending will be a fly on the wall.

We are all on a 1st name basis, and get along very well.

Interviewed here early in my trail, I almost considered not accepting the
interview due to location.

So first of, they gave me a free hotel at a pretty nice
place, and residents picked us up to take us to a delicious
restaurant, awesome deserts, major plus for that in my book. Very laid
back group that didn't seem burned out to talk with us, I really
enjoyed myself. Third year residents all spoke of how they got their first choice jobs within a week of sending out apps, pretty encouraging. After the dinner one of the residents offered to driveus around and show us Peoria: Seemed like a pretty good place to live,
a little rural but had a downtown and restaurants and bars that seemed
nice. Cost of living is crazy cheap. But definitely a mid sized
Midwestern town, could be a deal breaker for some.

Interview was also very relaxed, program director seemed like he was
interested in the residents, funny slide show about his dogs. Hospital
had new ED that was among the best I've seen, and older areas that
were as expected. New sim center was being built, was not shown the
old sim center.

Shift in the ED are all 10.5 hrs, 21 for first and less for each year.
Pay was in the 50's, which is higher than others in the area. Flight
program is a big deal here, fly all three years, residents seemed
excited about being involved in the care of patients during the
flights and how it was useful to their training. Trauma seemed intense
here, residents reported that trauma service was run by ED with
surgeon's allowing the residents to do as much as they felt
comfortable with, large level 1 center with lots of craziness.

Pro's
High acuity, high volume with a large amount of resident autonomy in trauma.
Beautiful modern ED
Flight service is the most active in the state.
Happiest residents so far.

Con's
Peoria is 2 hours from Chicago, around the same to Indianapolis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say most of what you is true except for the trauma part. You actually get lots of real traumas (GSW, MVC, fall from deer stands.... don't ask) BUT, it's usually surgery chief who calls the shots. PGY4-5 (surgery) >> PGY 2-3 (EM). Then again, it's like that at a lot of places.

ED runs efficiently. Not a lot of BS one has to deal with.

Are the past reviews commenting on hours ect., The same? Any newer reviews?

Former resident at this program, haven’t seen a review in a while and was hoping someone else would go ahead and post one but I guess I will since I have an off day. Overall, great program! I’ve been out a while now and I can say that the program prepares you very well for attendinghood. I work at a busy community shop and I think the transition after residency worked out well.

For curriculum, you don’t spend a lot of time in the ED your intern year and a lot of time in the ED your senior year. I think that’s pretty standard throughout most residencies. The biggest gripe people had about the curriculum I think was the medicine month which I hear they’re getting rid of. Your second year has most of the ICU months. Everyone loves our MICU months because you get a lot of autonomy in taking care of sick patients and a ton of procedures. PICU can be pretty hit or miss, you usually don’t get a whole lot of autonomy and maybe not procedures either. Trauma can be a busy month but in hindsight, it was a good experience. The teams are pretty small and the patient census can get pretty big at times. It’s definitely a surgery run service though and the number of gruntwork or procedures you’re doing depends on what they think of you. I think EM technically owns the airway during traumas but I can think of a few times while I was on trauma where the surgeon took the airway. I also didn’t get every chest tube on my rotations, but it’ll vary for everyone. You still end up seeing the knife-and-gun club stuff but probably not as much as most county places.

The ultrasound training is pretty good, you get a dedicated 2week session in your first year and workshops every now and then during didactics. I think my ultrasound skills were pretty good by the time I was a 3rd year but I find myself rarely using it these days in practice.

The attendings are really great to work with. Everyone has their favorites but I think they all did a lot of teaching. They’re probably on the younger side and most did residency in Peoria but there’s a lot of differences in terms of how people manage things. The emphasis in the program is providing good care and not necessarily moving the meat. You do a lot of workups on people that they probably wouldn’t get being at shops like mine. They try to get you to figure out what’s wrong with people and give them answers, which is probably the way residency teaching should be I think. Autonomy really depends on the attending and it ranges a lot. In general I think they hold your hand quite a bit. I was still getting direction on which chemistry to get on patients in my 3rd year which felt a little annoying sometimes. I think moonlighting is definitely a must-do at this program, otherwise you don’t really take that next step your last year.

The administration changed toward the end of my residency. They’re pretty open to feedback when it comes to curriculum changes. I do think that it’s much less of a resident run residency though. It’s very much top/bottom. I’d probably ask current residents how they feel about things but I didn’t like some of the changes and I felt like there was a lot more busy work and paper filing when I left. I’m not sure what the rules are when it comes to extending residencies but it seems like people’s residencies were extended all the time. I wasn’t one of the chiefs so I didn’t really get the inside scoop on things but I felt like some of the people that were held on was a little unfair. Residency’s hard enough when you don’t have to worry about your administration being out to get you.

Living in Peoria is probably what you expect it to be. It’s great for raising kids and having safe, affordable housing. It’s probably not so great if you’re young, single and looking to mingle. Overall, great program and great teaching! I ranked the program pretty high to stay close to family. If I had to do it again, I’d be glad to be there but can’t say I’d rank it as high after all the changes but it’s probably one of those ‘the grass is always greener’ things.

Former resident at this program, haven’t seen a review in a while and was hoping someone else would go ahead and post one but I guess I will since I have an off day. Overall, great program! I’ve been out a while now and I can say that the program prepares you very well for attendinghood. I work at a busy community shop and I think the transition after residency worked out well.

For curriculum, you don’t spend a lot of time in the ED your intern year and a lot of time in the ED your senior year. I think that’s pretty standard throughout most residencies. The biggest gripe people had about the curriculum I think was the medicine month which I hear they’re getting rid of. Your second year has most of the ICU months. Everyone loves our MICU months because you get a lot of autonomy in taking care of sick patients and a ton of procedures. PICU can be pretty hit or miss, you usually don’t get a whole lot of autonomy and maybe not procedures either. Trauma can be a busy month but in hindsight, it was a good experience. The teams are pretty small and the patient census can get pretty big at times. It’s definitely a surgery run service though and the number of gruntwork or procedures you’re doing depends on what they think of you. I think EM technically owns the airway during traumas but I can think of a few times while I was on trauma where the surgeon took the airway. I also didn’t get every chest tube on my rotations, but it’ll vary for everyone. You still end up seeing the knife-and-gun club stuff but probably not as much as most county places.

The ultrasound training is pretty good, you get a dedicated 2week session in your first year and workshops every now and then during didactics. I think my ultrasound skills were pretty good by the time I was a 3rd year but I find myself rarely using it these days in practice.

The attendings are really great to work with. Everyone has their favorites but I think they all did a lot of teaching. They’re probably on the younger side and most did residency in Peoria but there’s a lot of differences in terms of how people manage things. The emphasis in the program is providing good care and not necessarily moving the meat. You do a lot of workups on people that they probably wouldn’t get being at shops like mine. They try to get you to figure out what’s wrong with people and give them answers, which is probably the way residency teaching should be I think. Autonomy really depends on the attending and it ranges a lot. In general I think they hold your hand quite a bit. I was still getting direction on which chemistry to get on patients in my 3rd year which felt a little annoying sometimes. I think moonlighting is definitely a must-do at this program, otherwise you don’t really take that next step your last year.

The administration changed toward the end of my residency. They’re pretty open to feedback when it comes to curriculum changes. I do think that it’s much less of a resident run residency though. It’s very much top/bottom. I’d probably ask current residents how they feel about things but I didn’t like some of the changes and I felt like there was a lot more busy work and paper filing when I left. I’m not sure what the rules are when it comes to extending residencies but it seems like people’s residencies were extended all the time. I wasn’t one of the chiefs so I didn’t really get the inside scoop on things but I felt like some of the people that were held on was a little unfair. Residency’s hard enough when you don’t have to worry about your administration being out to get you.

Living in Peoria is probably what you expect it to be. It’s great for raising kids and having safe, affordable housing. It’s probably not so great if you’re young, single and looking to mingle. Overall, great program and great teaching! I ranked the program pretty high to stay close to family. If I had to do it again, I’d be glad to be there but can’t say I’d rank it as high after all the changes but it’s probably one of those ‘the grass is always greener’ things.

Major props for posting one of the most balanced and helpful reviews I've read in a while.

Recently interviewed and can say they did make a couple of good changes. Everyone hated the floor medicine month so they tossed it out in favor of another MICU month. I'd have to grab my notes to be give a more thorough review but the kind of feeling I got from the program:
Residents were very lovely people but are definitely the more settled married type than the single party type. Peoria is a cool little town but yes, much more laid back married with kids than party on the town. They really spent a lot of time telling us about the flight program and seemed to really encourage it. There's also a lot of ICU time (something like 5-6 months).

My overall was I liked the program but I'm not interested in EMS or flight so I was less drawn to that, more drawn to all the ICU time. The residents were nice and I liked Peoria. They have an in house ICU fellowship which is important to me and have sent residents to some top notch ICU fellowships and jobs overall. I think it's a really solid program and I think is often overlooked since all the chicago programs get a lot of attention. But it's a smaller more laid back settled kind of living which isn't right for everyone. One weird thing is that it is in a catholic hospital so no birth control, no abortions etc which won't really impact training that much but I'm not 100% sure how I feel about that.

I'll edit later when I can find my notes on more specifics (shifts and such).

They have an in house ICU fellowship which is important to me and have sent residents to some top notch ICU fellowships and jobs overall.

In recent years there has been an increase in fellowship interest (ultrasound, EMS, simulation) and that's a good trend. However, in general most graduates go to community hospitals rather than teaching institutions (remaining at the Peoria program being the exception).

I'm leery of the benefit to residents once an ICU fellowship starts. Peoria's strength is in high acuity with little to no dilution of autonomy and procedural access. Once you introduce fellows to the ICU, that's likely to change. Peoria is also a good place for EM residents because there's a big primary care program, but it doesn't have a lot of subspecialties. There were no anesthesia residents or ortho residents so EM is frontline on all of those procedures.

--

(edit: I'm apparently behind the times on where residents have gone... I thought there was only 1 that went to CC fellowship, but I stand corrected; now there are 2. To the best of my knowledge nobody has done PEM or Tox... but give it time)

Last edited:
In recent years there has been an increase in fellowship interest (ultrasound, EMS, simulation) and that's a good trend. However, in general most graduates go to community hospitals rather than teaching institutions (remaining at the Peoria program being the exception).

I'm leery of the benefit to residents once an ICU fellowship starts. Peoria's strength is in high acuity with little to no dilution of autonomy and procedural access. Once you introduce fellows to the ICU, that's likely to change. Peoria is also a good place for EM residents because there's a big primary care program, but it doesn't have a lot of subspecialties. There were no anesthesia residents or ortho residents so EM is frontline on all of those procedures.

--

(edit: I'm apparently behind the times on where residents have gone... I thought there was only 1 that went to CC fellowship, but I stand corrected; now there are 2. To the best of my knowledge nobody has done PEM or Tox... but give it time)

In the light of a new day, I'm not sure about if they already have a crit fellowship or are making one (website says making...too many interviews in a short time, all starting to run together).

I agree that not having competing residents was a bonus.. More opportunity for us.

Having a crit fellowship is a double edge sword as I intend to do a crit fellowship so having one in house for me means a slightly more realistic chance that I don't have to move again after residency but I do agree that it will mean fewer procedures and autonomy for EM residents. It's all up to personal preference.

To be clear, you are saying if you go here you risk doing more than just a 3 year residency?

To be clear, you are saying if you go here you risk doing more than just a 3 year residency?

No. At least, no more so than at any other institution.
Residents have been extended for legit issues such as prolonged medical absences or other things which apply only to the individual and not to the resident who falls within the standard deviation. ACGME requires you to work a certain amount and if you take too much time off you'll have to make some up at the end.

Having been a resident at Peoria, a chief at Peoria, and an attending at 3 residency institutions, holding someone back (or extending them) occurs much less often there and only with good reason.

Keep in mind that holding someone back, or extending their residency, is an extremely infrequent event at any institution so should not be a general worry for an applicant...

Reactions: 1 users
No. At least, no more so than at any other institution.
Residents have been extended for legit issues such as prolonged medical absences or other things which apply only to the individual and not to the resident who falls within the standard deviation. ACGME requires you to work a certain amount and if you take too much time off you'll have to make some up at the end.

Having been a resident at Peoria, a chief at Peoria, and an attending at 3 residency institutions, holding someone back (or extending them) occurs much less often there and only with good reason.

Keep in mind that holding someone back, or extending their residency, is an extremely infrequent event at any institution so should not be a general worry for an applicant...

When I graduated, at least 1 resident/yr for the last 3 years either left or had their residency extended 3+ months including someone in my class. And none of them had "prolonged medical absences." Probably best to ask current resident's/staff on interview day.

Long time lurker, posting on alternate account in order to remain anonymous. These threads greatly helped me and as such I am paying it forward. Good luck for future medical students. I won't go into the curriculum details or specifics since those are mostly readily available on their websites, but rather I made a long pro/con detail list along my interview trail and I will highlight my thoughts from that list.

Pro: blown away with this place actually, beautiful hospital, good training, happy residents

Con: for me it was strictly location

Overall impressions
Gut feeling: 7/10
Facilities/resources: 8/10
Didactics: Can't comment
Prestige: 4/10
Research: 4/10
Shift/hours/wellness: 7/10