University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to assemble my rank list and I'm having a hard time deciding which of these to rank above the other. I was hoping I could get some perspective from other applicants and/or residents.

Just for some background info on where I'm at:

From a gut feeling point of view, UIC definitely felt more like a group of friends and family on my interview day. I had a great time at the dinner and met with tons of residents. U of C was not quite the same, only saw a couple of residents (no dinner the night before). The faculty and residents at UIC seemed much more laid back and cohesive as a group, and I felt much more "at home" at there because of this. U of C felt a lot more formal.

UIC - Great PD, varied clinical sites, solid reputation, lots of critical care, awesome group of residents, more or less located close to downtown. My only concerns are that there are possibly too many clinical sites, that the main hospital is the weakest of the sites, only having one elective, and having to do medicine/peds/ob/surgery floor months.

U of C - Solid reputation, no floor months (all critical care), flight program with fixed wing moonlighting, three hospital system, very well connected PD, peds trauma. Concerns are that each site is located kind of far from downtown (esp Lutheran General), 3rd years get dumped with pts when 2nd year flies, 2nd year who flies has to drop pts abruptly, and U of C seems to be a bit more disconnected from the EM world than other programs (but not nearly as much as Northwestern).

Any thoughts on this? I'm worried that my instincts are telling me UIC but that I am somewhat star-struck by U of C. Anyone willing to say this early on which they are ranking higher and why? I guess I'm just looking for a different perspective, since I've been going through this in my head for a month now and still don't have a solid answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Rxfudd
I am glad you feel Chicago is the right place for you. You really can't go wrong with either program. Both are strong, have good reputations and engaging PDs.
I am in a unique situation at UIC being that I straddle the fence between 2 programs IM and EM. However, I feel my experience on the EM side and interacting with the straight EM residents allows me the ability to address your concerns re: UIC. I will not speak for or against U of C as I do not have the background on them.
The residents at UIC feel that the multiple clinical sites is a major plus for the program. We have 3 very different emergency departments with regards to patient population and pathology.
Masonic is on the North side and receives patients from the affluent neighborhoods surrounding it as well as the blue collar neighborhoods to the north and west. It provides the residents with a fast pace and bread-butter emergency medicine experience. The room is very busy, nearly all the time, and the pathology is varied. It is a good mix of private patients and public aid along with some homeless. We also are involved in trauma resuscitations while on shift and provide all the airways.
Mercy is on the near South side in an up and coming neighborhood. Lots of public aid and insurance less patients who don't or haven't seen a Doc in years. Plus we get a large number of patients from Chinatown seemingly always on death's door. Probably our most acutely sick population. Very different from Masonic. It is a large and always busy emergency room with some unbelievably good attendings.
UIC, the main hospital on the West side, is a tertiary care center and it shows. Lots of wierd pathology walks through the door. Transplants, a ton of renal failure, nursing home sickies and chest/abdominal pain galore. A busy room with crazy pathology and good/great consult services at your disposal.
In your tenure at UIC you will see it all and feel very comfortable managing a department and weeding through the "muck".
The variety of sites gives us a broad education. The advantage of going to other sites such as Christ for trauma, picu, ortho; Children's and Wylers for Peds EM, and MacNeal for community EM is you get exposed to the best rotations in the city all the time. The MICU and CCU at mercy and UIC are good rotations with great exposure.
The floor months on surgery, medicine and ob/gyn are really a requirement and do add to your education. In my experience, floor medicine teaches you to evaluate the non-critical medicine patient which is ideal for EM.
There are no peds floor months, only peds EM x 2 months and PICU x 2 months. Plus, you see a good amount of peds every shift at all three of the sites. Only UIC has a peds ER area with pediatric residents for part of the day. But their volume is high enough that I routinely see a good number of kids while rotating there.

I hope this cleared up some of your concerns. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Pinbor is also at UIC and I'm sure would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Good luck. Maybe we will see you next year.

rxfudd,

I think I can offer you a worthwhile opinion. I trained at an EM program in Chicago other than the two you listed, but had appreciable interaction with residents from both UIC/U of C during a two year fellowship that I completed after residency, and I worked clinically at UIH during that two year period (I have not worked there since 2001). Out of the gate, I must say that I think you've done your homework, because I had some of the same feelings when I was in your shoes a while back.

I can't say as much about U of C as I can UIC, as my interaction with them is more limited. I did interact with the U of C PD during the State-Wide Oral Boards that the Stroger EM program organizes and found him to have a very supportive and positive attitude toward me as an "outside" resident. I would not agree that U of C is any more "disconnected" from the other programs, really only UIC and Christ interact on a regular basis given that Christ is UICs rotation site for trauma and orthopedics. Having interacted with the U of C residents, they seem absolutely competent, but there is definitely a different personality there, and my feeling is that either you fit or you don't. On my interview I felt like I didn't, I also found them too formal for my tastes, and that plus the mandatory flight experience resulted in me ultimately not putting them on my final list. I get severe motion sickness in helicopters, and it bothered me anyway that a program would make anything absolutely, no-way-around-it mandatory, especially an activity that has realistic safety concerns. Doesn't sound like that hard line has changed. I DID rank Methodist in Indianapolis, which also has a flight program, but is willing to work with you if you do not want to participate in that experience. Truly, how many of us are going to go out into practice where we fly regularly? But I digress...

Your feeling about the UIC residents being laid-back, cohesive, like "friends and family" is right on. I loved these guys when I worked there. It is a happy group of residents, and you have to ask yourself why. Yes, they do bounce around a bit on rotations, but there PD has truly selected those rotations with care, so in my opinion it's worth moving around a bit for them. I understand your concerns about rotations at UIH itself, the acuity is a little lower there than at the other sites but contrary to what we all believe during the Match process, adequate training in EM is NOT going to be achieved with 24/7 critical care resuscitations. Less acute cases are not always slam-dunks, and yes you will be seeing "abdominal pain for the last 6 months" in your practice. You will also get good exposure to transplant patients there, a patient group I did not see much of during my EM training. So UIH has its value. Plus, the other two hospitals for the ED rotations are absolutely awesome, Mercy in particular is a gem and you will get PLENTY of critical care action there. And in the end, you will graduate as an outstanding, well-rounded clinician that anyone would love to work with--this is the definition of a UIC EM graduate. UIC was #2 on my own personal rank list, second only to the program where I ultimately trained.

Now out in academic practice, I would have to argue that the PD at U of C is any more "connected" that the PD at UIC. Tim Erickson is viewed as an absolute dynamo in the EM and toxicology world; the lectures he gives nationally are some of the best attended anywhere because of his talent and personal reputation. He actively participates in research as well, and I've lost count of the number of EM/toxicology textbooks and textbook chapters that bear his name. And, finally, if I had to make a list of the most intelligent, genuine, supportive "in your corner no matter what," energetic, organized and fun people I've known in my life, the good Dr. Erickson heads that list along with my own PD. Honestly. He's got everything you need to succeed.

I have the utmost respect for the University Chicago Hospital itself, and can say that the U of C EM program is a perfectly fine place to train if you feel at home there, some of our present faculty trained or worked there and are excellent clinicans. It is the oldest EM program in Chicago which, to some degree, will always afford it a "solid reputation." (Is that why you are "star-struck" by the way?) But you are not making a huge mistake passing it over if you don't feel a fit. Fit is important. Very important.

My opinion--go with your gut. Go with UIC.

rxfudd said:
I'm starting to assemble my rank list and I'm having a hard time deciding which of these to rank above the other. I was hoping I could get some perspective from other applicants and/or residents.

Just for some background info on where I'm at:

From a gut feeling point of view, UIC definitely felt more like a group of friends and family on my interview day. I had a great time at the dinner and met with tons of residents. U of C was not quite the same, only saw a couple of residents (no dinner the night before). The faculty and residents at UIC seemed much more laid back and cohesive as a group, and I felt much more "at home" at there because of this. U of C felt a lot more formal.

UIC - Great PD, varied clinical sites, solid reputation, lots of critical care, awesome group of residents, more or less located close to downtown. My only concerns are that there are possibly too many clinical sites, that the main hospital is the weakest of the sites, only having one elective, and having to do medicine/peds/ob/surgery floor months.

U of C - Solid reputation, no floor months (all critical care), flight program with fixed wing moonlighting, three hospital system, very well connected PD, peds trauma. Concerns are that each site is located kind of far from downtown (esp Lutheran General), 3rd years get dumped with pts when 2nd year flies, 2nd year who flies has to drop pts abruptly, and U of C seems to be a bit more disconnected from the EM world than other programs (but not nearly as much as Northwestern).

Any thoughts on this? I'm worried that my instincts are telling me UIC but that I am somewhat star-struck by U of C. Anyone willing to say this early on which they are ranking higher and why? I guess I'm just looking for a different perspective, since I've been going through this in my head for a month now and still don't have a solid answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Day: Really chill and laid back. During interview w PD, he said "this is your time for questions" so it was basically me bombarding him w questions the whole time. 2 other interviews were really chill, nothign crazy. Coolest thing of the trail was they had us attend a M and M. Really got to see how the residents click and relationships with the attendings. Lots of fun. All programs should do this. Then had 2 seperate presentations from the residents, one about the fun they have and one about fellowships. Also very cool.

Residents: The funnest group I have met. Stayed out pretty late drinking with them. Lots of light hearted trash talking back and forth, really cool group.

Hospital: Few different home bases. UIC being the big academic center where you see all the random stuff. Mercy is on the southside, this is where you see lots of really sick people, also do "The Shire" there. 2 months in the MICU where you are the doc. Great experience I hear. Masonic which is in Wrigleyville, this is where you get the rich white population with chest pain. Also a level 1 trauma so you get that. Finally, you also have Lutheran which is in the north suburbs and you get a very diverse population here which is also a level 1 trauma.

Curriculum: Nothing really stands out. Good ICU exposure and they send you to Christ for trauma. They have a very good relationship with the Christ residents and tends to be a great experience.

City: It's Chicago. Cold winters, beautiful summers, always something to do. Fairly high cost of living

Negatives: Some may not like the multiple sites. I however love it. You get to see many different aspects of EM. But, Chicago traffic sucks.

Overall: Really liked this program. Huge alumni, very old program. PD was uber nice. Sending a senior to critical care fellowship in Washington this year. Very well rounded program with very cool residents. Will rank highly.

FYI- Im a current second year at the program so this review is by all means written by my experiences so far, I try my hardest not to sugar-coat the details and will do my best to offer an unadulterated view of the program.

University of Illinois-Chicago

General info: This program splits its time equally between 4 sites- UIC Medical Center (Academic, tertiary care, resident-run hospital), Mercy Medical Center (urban, county-feel, underdeserved population, most autonomous site), Lutheran General Hospital (Level I trauma, busy community shop, middle class/upper middle class suburban population), and Illinois Masonic Medical Center (Level I trauma, urban community serving the young population of the nicer uptown Chicago neighborhoods as well as the hospital serving the primary LGBTQ population in the city). There is also 1 month spent each year at MacNeal Hospital (a BUSY urban-community hospital)

Residents: 15/yr w/ an additional 3/year doing EM/IM. A large, diverse group of residents, with a large majority from the Midwest (IL, Wisc, Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio, Indiana), as well as a good number from California as well. All are very knowledgeable, but personable individuals who enjoy a vast group of interests outside the hospital. Of importance to note, the faculty of Mercy Hospital will host weekly mentorship sessions at a local bar/restaurant that are well-attended. The camaraderie of the program is certainly an advantage. It is common for us to get together outside the hospital(s) several times a month for such varied activities as apple-picking at a local orchard, rock climbing, hiking, and of course for a good drink amongst friends. There is an equal distribution of married to single individuals (I would say 50/50).

Faculty: Extremely diverse and lots to talk about here. The UIC faculty are all generally well-established in academia, with several active research projects and faculty projects, a large group of tox-focused attendings as well as several fellows from Ultrasound, rescucitation medicine, international health, and simulation medicine. Lutheran general faculty are a mix of fresh, young grads of the local Chicago programs, as well as veteran practioners who have spent 15+ years at the hospital. Mercy faculty are generally again younger, fresh grads but also a couple veteran stalwarts. Masonic faculty are an extremely varied group, with individuals at several phases of their careers.

There are in total 60+ attending faculty total for the program so it would be near impossible to characterize this group further. Just know that there are individuals with knowledge and expertise literally in every facet of sub-specialization within emergency medicine. These individuals are all approachable for mentorship in any capacity, and you will find someone at the program willing to help you out with any focus in emergency medicine you wish to pursue.

A special note about the PD- a Boston native, who trained at County, and has been with the program for 20 years now. Approachable, knowledgeable, and always your #1 supporter for any endeavor

Curriculum: 3-year program w/ emphasis on ED time, critical care and trauma. 13 block rotations total per year

1st year: 7 blocks spent in the emergency department, w/ equal split time at the four main sites, 1 block at MacNeal, 2 month critical care, 1-2 months trauma, and a month of US/Orthopedics, and a month of OB. The emphasis as interns is on learning the system and learning the practice of emergency medicine itself, there is a large emphasis on teaching by not only the attendings but as well the senior residents, with interns generally being the at the fore-front of all the major procedures (intubations, lines). Trauma months are generally are ideal times to learn general trauma protocol, mastering the FAST exam. OB is a busy month, with most residents receiving more than adequate number of deliveries. The US month is a hands-on intensive month where you will log 200+ scans in the department at UIC, while actively reviewing them w/ the ultrasound faculty. Critical care time is split between a traditional MICU month being on a large team of multiple residents at UIC, as well as CCU/Cardiology month at UIC. Also a month of peds @ UIC (will discuss this further in the peds section)

2nd Year: By far the sickest patients you will see will be this year. 2 months are spent being the ICU senior at Mercy Medical Center. Easily the most favorite time of residency, the Mercy ICU month is busy, full of procedures and extremely high-yield. As the overnight ICU senior, you answer all the RRTs, codes in the hospital. 1 month is spent doing trauma at Advocate Christ. Another favorite month for the residents, Christ is the busiest level I trauma center in the Midwest, and there is a tremendous amount of autonomy with thoracotomies, and intense trauma resuscitations being a weekly, if not daily occurrence. There is another peds month this year @ Lutheran General, and a peds critical care month that consists of time split between the NICU/Peds Anesthesia as well as covering some peds ED shifts. The rest of the time is again spent at the 4 EDs, w/ the emphasis now being on increasing efficiency, and running the department.

3rd year: The majority of 3rd year is spent in the EDs, w/ only 2 additional months outside the ED (1 month elective time, and 1 month of toxicology). The emphasis again is on running the department, and the attendings often will let go of the reins to the 3rd years to run the room with generally as much autonomy as possible.

Peds: 1 month of peds @ UIC as interns where you will generally see a combination of extremely complicated tertiary care patients, as well as a combination of bread-and-butter peds cases. 2nd year is spent with 1 month @ Lutheran General, a busy community peds department where you will see a lot of bread and butter pediatrics and large population of sick children. There is an additional Peds Critical care month as a 2nd year where you split time taking shifts in the peds ED, time doing pediatric intubations during Peds OR cases, as well as several shifts in the NICU with the focus again being on procedures and emergent management.

Didactics: 5 hours weekly; protected. Split between the 4 main sites weekly. The conference curriculum consists of 3-4 hours a week of traditional small group or lecture-style sessions, as well as a weekly M&M performed by one of the third year residents. The general attitude of the conference time is extremely open to active discussions regarding the material discussed. The M&M sessions are never malignant. We do practice oral boards twice yearly during conference time as well. There is also a large amount of conference time dedicated to simulation, w/ many of the lectures coinciding w/ sim cases that all the residents practice through. It should also be noted that the residents have open access to the sim lab at their leisure for practicing procedures as well

Research: Scholarly project required with research available if interested, numerous faculty at UIC w/ diverse research interests including EMS, Ultrasound, rescucitation, cardiovascular medicine, health outcome and health disparities as well as toxicology.

Facilities: UIC is the oldest of the 4 sites, w/ a 30+ bed ED that is arranged in a large circle w/ a dedicated peds section. Lutheran General is a 40-bed pod-based, w/ its own separate peds ED as well as 3 trauma bays/critical care rooms. Illinois Masonic has its own dedicated trauma bay, w/ an additional 30+ rooms that are arranged in circular fashion as well. Mercy Medical Center is arranged in a long, oval room, w/ 2 separate pods on each end.

It should be noted that in the Department of EM @ UIC, there is a separate relaxation room w/ associated call-room beds and computers for use by the residents whenever they please.

Charting: Cerned-based computer charting at all 4 sites that w/ very similar skeletons but subtle differences at each site. In general, not difficult to re-master the system when you go to each site.

Location: The Windy City aka The City of Big Shoulders. 3rd largest city in the country w/ a bevy of amazing neighborhoods for young professionals and families alike, numerous sports teams (Bears, Bulls, Cubs, White Sox, Blackhawks), and a ton of amazing cultural institutions and museums. Most of the residents live in the neighborhoods close to Loop that are equidistant from all the hospitals such as West Loop, Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, South Loop, and River North/Streeterville.

Extras: One of the oldest and largest residencies in the country, w/ an extremely vast network of Alumni all over the country. Our grads generally have 1/3 that end up doing fellowship or further academic appointments w/ the other 2/3’s going into urban/community practice. Through our vast alumni network, we have connections to jobs in any city in the country.

Interview: 3-20 minute interviews split between program leaderships directors as well as senior residents. 1 hour spent with the residents during their conference time, as well as active discussions on fellowship opportunities, a resident-run slideshow and lunch spent talking with the residents informally. The pre-interview social is at a local pizza place/bar (w/ some of the most amazing pizza ever), and is always well-attended, informal, and actually a really good time

As you can see I will have nothing but good things to say about this program. It was my number #1 choice, and I have absolutely no regrets. If there were disadvantages (which there will be with any program) i would say the commuting between programs can get a bit annoying after awhile (thats what podcasts are for) similarly, you dont get to know ancillary staff too well since you're shifting sites so much. But for me, the strength of the people at this program make all this other stuff worth it. PM me for further details.

Thoughts from externship and interview
I had a good experience working with the attendings at UIC on externship. They were very knowledgeable and eager to teacher. The problem is that there are four “main sites” as well as 2 ancillary sites. Mercy, Masonic, Lutheran, and UIC are the sites. That means there are over 100 ED faculty who you could work with. It means you’re exposed to community hospital, county hospital, and university hospital. At some hospitals you don’t have as much back up so you’re more likely to do more. It means when you leave you can be prepared for any different practice type. The majority of graduates go either into academics or fellowship. There seems to be a strong push for people to enter academics and do research. The big positive from working at so many sites is that I will have exposure to all different practice types. The downside is that I don’t have a “home.” Residents say all four sites feel like home, but I’m skeptical. You have 1month in 1st year at each site, 2months in 2nd year, and 2months in 3rd year. If you’re chief the 3rd year, you spend 6months at your site. It is the 2nd oldest EM residency and Dr. Bunney schedules an alumni dinner for the sole purpose of giving 3rd years jobs anywhere in the country.

Big Positives:

1. Four different hospitals to learn different practices

2. Chicago is a cool city

3. Established program where I can go anywhere I want post residency

Big Negatives

1. I don’t have a “home” hospital

2. Chicago is freaking cold

bump for more info about UIC. i really enjoyed my interview day, and i don't know of a polite way to say this but i am slightly apprehensive about the number of IMGs and DOs in the program? is that a red flag?

bump for more info about UIC. i really enjoyed my interview day, and i don't know of a polite way to say this but i am slightly apprehensive about the number of IMGs and DOs in the program? is that a red flag?
We have 1 IMG (2 if you count Ponce, but we don't consider it that way). F'ing rockstars, too.

As for the DO's, we've always been friendly; most of our matches rotate with us, so they're known quantities that fit into the residency class we're trying to curate - a tight knit batch of people who mirror our work ethic & ethos.

I personally wouldn't take it as a red flag, as I work in the trenches with these peeps and know each & every one would have my back (and vice versa). I can count on 2 fingers the number I don't trust over the last 10 years - and both were allopaths.

Good luck in the match.

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Reactions: 1 user
what are shifts hours and shift # per month? do any residents moonlight? thx.

what are shifts hours and shift # per month? do any residents moonlight? thx.
ED months are mostly 10's (interns at 1 site do 12's). 18/month (12 12's at aforementioned intern site), less as a PGY3 chief.

Off-service hours depend on the rotation.

Moonlighting is allowed 3rd year with PD approval (you need to be in good standing and not going somewhere dangerous).

Semper Brunneis Pallium

To clarify on the shifts: Interns work 10's, 18/mo at all sites now. This is the first year we did away with the 12 hr shifts at massonic.

To clarify on the shifts: Interns work 10's, 18/mo at all sites now. This is the first year we did away with the 12 hr shifts at massonic.

Hello, I was hoping I could ask you a couple questions about UIC's EM residency. Could you provide some info on the program's anesthesia and ortho rotations? Can you also comment on the autonomy and procedure exposure? Given that UIC is a big academic institution, do you feel you have to compete for procedures at UIH--the main academic site--with residents from other specialities? How has your autonomy/procedural exposure differed at Masonic, Lutheran, and Mercy? How are your critical care rotations at each of these sites?

Hello, I was hoping I could ask you a couple questions about UIC's EM residency. Could you provide some info on the program's anesthesia and ortho rotations? Can you also comment on the autonomy and procedure exposure? Given that UIC is a big academic institution, do you feel you have to compete for procedures at UIH--the main academic site--with residents from other specialities? How has your autonomy/procedural exposure differed at Masonic, Lutheran, and Mercy? How are your critical care rotations at each of these sites?
Heyo -
Sorry about the delay; was waiting to hear back from some of my current residents in regards to the non-UIH sites as things have changed significantly since I went through the residency. Their responses are below; good luck!
-d

Resident #1:
Could you provide some info on the program's anesthesia and ortho rotations?
So there is no adult anesthesia rotation, you get plenty of intubations at all 4 hospitals so it is not needed. But there is a pediatric anesthesia rotation incorporated in the Pediatric Critical Care rotation (time split between the OR and PICU). There is also no ortho rotation as the residents are expected to their own splints and reductions in the ED. Also at Lutheran, the physicians are REQUIRED to do their own splints, so no getting away with asking a tech to do it for you.

Can you also comment on the autonomy and procedure exposure? Given that UIC is a big academic institution, do you feel you have to compete for procedures at UIH--the main academic site--with residents from other specialties?
As a recent graduate, you definitely don't have to compete for procedures ever, not even at UIH. You only call consultants to do a procedure if the ED team was unsuccessful at the procedure or if it is out of the ED scope of practice.
How has your autonomy/procedural exposure differed at Masonic, Lutheran, and Mercy?
Mercy is a very busy hospital with a very sick patient population. When you rotate through the ICU as a PGY2, you co-manage the ICU with an IM senior but you end up doing all procedures as they aren't as experienced (intubations, cardioversions, central lines, chest tubes). As Lutheran and Masonic are trauma sites so there are always plenty of procedures to go around (both are not stand alone which means all patient are seen by the ED team and Trauma team vs stand alone is only managed by the trauma team). The UIC residents also split the trauma team at Christ with the Christ EM residents (Surgery seniors are UIC surgery residents)
How are your critical care rotations at each of these sites?
Lutheran: PICU as it is a tertiary Children's Hospital & SICU on trauma
Masonic: SICU on Trauma
UIC: CCU and MICU
Mercy: MICU/SICU

Resident #2:
Hi there,

Thanks for the interest in our program, I'm a current third year and have had a fantastic training experience here. I ranked UIC #1 and would do it again today.

Briefly, our program is a 4 site 'consortium' residency based out of UIC, Mercy Hospital, Advocate Lutheran General, and Advocate Illinois Masonic. UIC is our major academic center with a patient population comprised largely of very sick, chronically ill patients, often with rare and interesting pathology. This is a pretty busy ED, seeing just under 50k patients per year. Mercy hospital is a very busy (approximately 70k patients/year) urban ED, with a large underserved patient population that tend to be very acutely ill when presenting to the ED. We often see our sickest patients here, with a significant number of resuscitations occuring on every shift. Advocate Lutheran General is a level I trauma, hybrid academic-community hospital in the northwest suburbs, serving a middle to upper middle class population. There is very high acuity and volume here (approximately 75k last year), and has brand new adult and pediatric ED's. Advocate Illinois Masonic is a level I trauma, community ED located in the north side of Chicago in the Wrigleyville neighborhood. This is our most 'community style' practice environment, and also has a fairly decent volume of penetrating trauma as well. While 4 separate ED's, they are all unified by our residency training program, and are considered UIC EM residency faculty.

We do not have specific anesthesia and orthopedic rotations, excepting pediatric anesthesia as a second year. I don't think that we are missing out due to the absence of an anesthesia rotation, as we manage such a high number of airways in our ED's (many of my classmates have logged anywhere from 70-100 airways thus far in residency). Regarding orthopedics, my class was the first year where this rotation was phased out, due to many of the prior residency classes feeling that it was lower yield (in general), as such a significant amount of this experience is gained while on trauma rotations (and while rotating at Lutheran General, where we perform all of our own splinting). I tend to agree, as I feel very comfortable managing most orthopedic conditions in the ED.

Can you also comment on the autonomy and procedure exposure? How has your autonomy/procedural exposure differed at Masonic, Lutheran, and Mercy? Given that UIC is a big academic institution, do you feel you have to compete for procedures at UIH--the main academic site--with residents from other specialities? How are your critical care rotations at each of these sites?
We have great autonomy, during both our training in the ED, as well as with our off-service rotations. As we progress in residency, at 3 of our sites (Mercy/Masonic/Lutheran General), we learn to run our specific 'pods', while teaching medical students and junior residents (on our 'Pre-Attending' shifts). Our faculty really get to know us well (both in the ED and outside of it) over the course of our training and do an excellent job of providing the appropriate level of autonomy as needed for each resident by level. For example, as third years, many attendings that we have worked with over the course of our training will stand quietly just outside of the room while we are leading a resuscitation, whereas there would be much greater help/supervision provided if this were an intern on the case. They are absolutely there when we need them in these situations, however. This is across the board - regardless of specific site - with our attending groups.

We work in the MICU at UIC as interns, which is an outstanding exposure to CCM with a focus on medically complex, very acutely ill patients. We have a great amount of autonomy, but also have oversight from a senior IM resident and CC fellow. On our off-service rotations as a second year, you are the senior resident on the trauma, ICU and PICU services. Specifically during our second year ICU rotations at Mercy as the senior ICU residents, we run the unit overnight without the aid of a fellow or attending in house (who can be reached very easily if needed, as well as the ED attendings). This autonomy allows us to further develop our resuscitation skills, as well as how to become independent decision-makers. These are excellent rotations, with a very high volume of critically ill patients with abundant opportunities for procedures.

Procedure wise, there is more than abundance at all of our sites, although I think I've probably done a greater percentage at Lutheran General and Mercy. I have more than logged all required procedures at this point in my training, and will generally teach the interns how to do these procedures when my patients require airway management, central lines, etc. We do not turf procedures at UIH - All of our procedures in the ED are ours, unless we give them to consultants to perform.

I hope that this answers some of your questions, and please don't hesitate to reach out to us at our program directly, if you have further questions. All the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Heyo -
Sorry about the delay; was waiting to hear back from some of my current residents in regards to the non-UIH sites as things have changed significantly since I went through the residency. Their responses are below; good luck!
-d

Resident #1:
So there is no adult anesthesia rotation, you get plenty of intubations at all 4 hospitals so it is not needed. But there is a pediatric anesthesia rotation incorporated in the Pediatric Critical Care rotation (time split between the OR and PICU). There is also no ortho rotation as the residents are expected to their own splints and reductions in the ED. Also at Lutheran, the physicians are REQUIRED to do their own splints, so no getting away with asking a tech to do it for you.

Can you also comment on the autonomy and procedure exposure? Given that UIC is a big academic institution, do you feel you have to compete for procedures at UIH--the main academic site--with residents from other specialties?
As a recent graduate, you definitely don't have to compete for procedures ever, not even at UIH. You only call consultants to do a procedure if the ED team was unsuccessful at the procedure or if it is out of the ED scope of practice.
How has your autonomy/procedural exposure differed at Masonic, Lutheran, and Mercy?
Mercy is a very busy hospital with a very sick patient population. When you rotate through the ICU as a PGY2, you co-manage the ICU with an IM senior but you end up doing all procedures as they aren't as experienced (intubations, cardioversions, central lines, chest tubes). As Lutheran and Masonic are trauma sites so there are always plenty of procedures to go around (both are not stand alone which means all patient are seen by the ED team and Trauma team vs stand alone is only managed by the trauma team). The UIC residents also split the trauma team at Christ with the Christ EM residents (Surgery seniors are UIC surgery residents)
How are your critical care rotations at each of these sites?
Lutheran: PICU as it is a tertiary Children's Hospital & SICU on trauma
Masonic: SICU on Trauma
UIC: CCU and MICU
Mercy: MICU/SICU

Resident #2:
Hi there,

Thanks for the interest in our program, I'm a current third year and have had a fantastic training experience here. I ranked UIC #1 and would do it again today.

Briefly, our program is a 4 site 'consortium' residency based out of UIC, Mercy Hospital, Advocate Lutheran General, and Advocate Illinois Masonic. UIC is our major academic center with a patient population comprised largely of very sick, chronically ill patients, often with rare and interesting pathology. This is a pretty busy ED, seeing just under 50k patients per year. Mercy hospital is a very busy (approximately 70k patients/year) urban ED, with a large underserved patient population that tend to be very acutely ill when presenting to the ED. We often see our sickest patients here, with a significant number of resuscitations occuring on every shift. Advocate Lutheran General is a level I trauma, hybrid academic-community hospital in the northwest suburbs, serving a middle to upper middle class population. There is very high acuity and volume here (approximately 75k last year), and has brand new adult and pediatric ED's. Advocate Illinois Masonic is a level I trauma, community ED located in the north side of Chicago in the Wrigleyville neighborhood. This is our most 'community style' practice environment, and also has a fairly decent volume of penetrating trauma as well. While 4 separate ED's, they are all unified by our residency training program, and are considered UIC EM residency faculty.

We do not have specific anesthesia and orthopedic rotations, excepting pediatric anesthesia as a second year. I don't think that we are missing out due to the absence of an anesthesia rotation, as we manage such a high number of airways in our ED's (many of my classmates have logged anywhere from 70-100 airways thus far in residency). Regarding orthopedics, my class was the first year where this rotation was phased out, due to many of the prior residency classes feeling that it was lower yield (in general), as such a significant amount of this experience is gained while on trauma rotations (and while rotating at Lutheran General, where we perform all of our own splinting). I tend to agree, as I feel very comfortable managing most orthopedic conditions in the ED.

Can you also comment on the autonomy and procedure exposure? How has your autonomy/procedural exposure differed at Masonic, Lutheran, and Mercy? Given that UIC is a big academic institution, do you feel you have to compete for procedures at UIH--the main academic site--with residents from other specialities? How are your critical care rotations at each of these sites?
We have great autonomy, during both our training in the ED, as well as with our off-service rotations. As we progress in residency, at 3 of our sites (Mercy/Masonic/Lutheran General), we learn to run our specific 'pods', while teaching medical students and junior residents (on our 'Pre-Attending' shifts). Our faculty really get to know us well (both in the ED and outside of it) over the course of our training and do an excellent job of providing the appropriate level of autonomy as needed for each resident by level. For example, as third years, many attendings that we have worked with over the course of our training will stand quietly just outside of the room while we are leading a resuscitation, whereas there would be much greater help/supervision provided if this were an intern on the case. They are absolutely there when we need them in these situations, however. This is across the board - regardless of specific site - with our attending groups.

We work in the MICU at UIC as interns, which is an outstanding exposure to CCM with a focus on medically complex, very acutely ill patients. We have a great amount of autonomy, but also have oversight from a senior IM resident and CC fellow. On our off-service rotations as a second year, you are the senior resident on the trauma, ICU and PICU services. Specifically during our second year ICU rotations at Mercy as the senior ICU residents, we run the unit overnight without the aid of a fellow or attending in house (who can be reached very easily if needed, as well as the ED attendings). This autonomy allows us to further develop our resuscitation skills, as well as how to become independent decision-makers. These are excellent rotations, with a very high volume of critically ill patients with abundant opportunities for procedures.

Procedure wise, there is more than abundance at all of our sites, although I think I've probably done a greater percentage at Lutheran General and Mercy. I have more than logged all required procedures at this point in my training, and will generally teach the interns how to do these procedures when my patients require airway management, central lines, etc. We do not turf procedures at UIH - All of our procedures in the ED are ours, unless we give them to consultants to perform.

I hope that this answers some of your questions, and please don't hesitate to reach out to us at our program directly, if you have further questions. All the best.

Thank you so so much for all of these details about your program. I made my decision:)

Pre-interview Social: Pretty fun night at a pizza/bewery place. Residents were very relaxed and honest about their opinions. Social is always the day before conferences so most residents had off and many continued to go out afterwards. Could tell residents were pretty close to each other and class is very diverse, racially and geographically.

Interview Day: One of the longer days I had 9am -3:30pm. Longer than most because you go to part of their conference which in the end I appreciated. Day begins with welcome talk by PD/APD who describe what UIC is a 3 year program all about helping people, diversity enrichment, many social programs they have and describing the 4 sites. UIC which is their main academic hospital where you see all the complex patients including transplant, sickle cell etc., Mercy their high acuity center on the southside where you never lack for procedures, Masonic a more upscale affluent crowd right near Wrigleyville and Lutheran a more suburban but decent acuity location close to O’Hare airport. Program is one of the oldest in the nation and has an extensive alumni network which UIC touted as one of the greatest perks of coming to their program. Class is 15 EM and 3 EM/IM per year. Everyone then went to conference and afterwards had lunch, interviews and then a resident presentation. There was no tour since they could never show you all 4 sites in one day and instead show you videos of each of the EDs (all of which looked relatively modern and typical) and as this was later in the interview trial for me I was grateful for the lack of a tour. Residents commented that commute to 4 sites definitely gets annoying and that it makes intern year a bit harder as they not only have to learn 1 hospital but up to 6 different ones and they all have a different way of admitting etc. but they felt what they gained in diversity of hospital types and patient diversity more than made up for it. Residents mostly live in the west loop/Wicker Park area but also many spread all over the city since their hospitals are kinda spread all over as well. Will need a car for this program as sites can be up to a 40 minute drive away. Interviewers were all chill. Some asked more classic interview questions, but most just wanted to get to know you. 5 interviews total with 3 20 minute with faculty or senior resident and 2 10 minute interviews with PD and APD.

Curriculum: 3 year program with no graduated responsibility, but have to do this from memory since we were only told Curriculum in presentations and it was not on their website, but I remember interns do 6 months of ED, 2 months trauma, 1 OB, 1 US/EMS and some ICU time. No floor Med or Peds months. ED months are spread out across all 4 main sites equally and trauma is done at either Masonic or Lutheran (both level 1 trauma centers with lower volume). Interns do 18 10s a month and residents stated they occasionally do go over as there is no overlap. 2 and 3rd years are primarily ED months, but 2 months of 2nd year are MICU at Mercy which is where residents say they learn the most because patients are sick, sick, sick and while you are there on nights you are the only physician in house to do all the procedures (can call the attending but they are not physically present). Also you are the person responsible for all the ressessicatations in the hospital during this time as well. Also during second year you go to Christ for trauma which is described as more trauma than anyone can handle and residents felt they never lacked for anything trauma related after their rotation there. 3rd year has the only elective month. Peds is longitudinal in that Masonic and Mercy do not have a separate peds ED and residents said they see peds quite frequently but separate Peds ED months at UIC and Lutheran are also present. Residents stated most shifts are 1:1 with an attending except some intern shifts also have a 3rd year resident on them so they can get used to teaching. EMR Is not epic and they do use Dragon.

Overall people seemed super chill here and could really see myself as part of the Brown Coat family. There are many perks for me at this program including, 3 years, no graduated responsibility, chill atmosphere, great alumni network, and diverse patient/hospital types. Downsides have been mentioned before in that it’s annoying to commute to so many sites and it’s hard to adjust to so many sites, but residents seemed ok with this and generally happy. Will be ranking this program in my top choices and can say the UIC reputation lives up to its name.