SAT and MCAT corelation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lars Ulrich

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
it would be interesting to see if there is a corelation, what were your scores?

i'll start...

1500 and 35

Members don't see this ad.

Mcat 35.. 11v 12 bs 12ps

no sat but i took the ACT and had a 27....forgot my calculator though....

my reading was a 32....for all you "the mcat is just reading comprehention". folks
took it once no studying at all..

Members don't see this ad :)
No correlation for me, but I actually studied for the MCAT and not for the SAT. I was lucky to get in at a good school considering my effort (lack of) in HS.

Wow, looks like we've got a pretty nice correlation going on here:

my scores:

SAT: 1580
MCAT: 36 (12,12,12)

Originally posted by soonerpillow
Wow, looks like we've got a pretty nice correlation going on here:

my scores:

SAT: 1580
MCAT: 36 (12,12,12)

YEA :clap:

more people post, i REALLLLLLLYYYYYY want to make a function relation...will it be linear? will it be quadratic?....I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE :clap:

I'm a good test taker ;)

SAT: 1570 (800 V 770 M)
MCAT: 39-41 (13-15VR 14PS 12BS)

Don't forget about Squat-n-sqeeze:

1580/43-45 :laugh:

Originally posted by thackl
Don't forget about Squat-n-sqeeze:

1580/43-45 :laugh:

i'm thinking i'll disregard this bit of data as an outlier whan i do the stat plot

Even with adequate studying, I probably couldn't post the scores these people are getting. I simply make too many silly errors when working quickly. I was happy with 90th percentile and hoping for a 36 , but had a real cummy day. I would have to make a career of taking the MCAT to get a 40. WOW!

Hey guys,

congrads to all of you on these amazing grades. My grades aren't as good, although I am trying my best to have my next MCAT score trully reflect my potential.

Do you guys feel that you are good test takers? Good standardized test takers? Calm under pressure?

I have gotten good grades in college while no really caring in HS and on my SAT. I know that I can score well on the MCAT (maybe not as well as all of you guys), now I am trying to make it so that everyone else knows it by doing well on the REAL test.

Good luck to all of you in the application process.

dmitri

SAT: 1500
MCAT: 38

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll play along.

SAT: V: 800 M: 700
MCAT: VR: 13-15 PS: 10 BS: 11

I guess I like the verbal sections. :) It seems like that would be another interesting relationship to study.

SAT: 1380
MCAT: 36

SAT 1460
MCAT 33

SAT: 1330 (taken in '92, before it was recentered)

all right i'll play too.

SAT: 1560 (800v, 760m)
MCAT: 36 (13v, 12p, 11b)

Lars, let us know when you do the statistical analysis. I'd like to see it, and am too lazy to do it myself.

SAT 1400
ACT 33
MCAT 38 (12V, 13P,13B)

Did anyone ever do a study w/IQ and MCAT verbal? or IQ and general MCAT scores?

SAT: 1460 770m 690v
MCAT 36 13ps, 12bs, 11vs

I love this!

IQ and SAT correlate better than MCAT and SAT...

wasn't there a thread about this somewhere else?

What a bunch of self-congradulatory fools.

You will never get a correlation here because the sample size is so absurdly skewed.

:eek: :clap: :clap:

Maybe SDN should start selling T-Shirts with "MCAT = <score>" plastered on them.. LOL

Then I would have to retake to get the coveted
"MCAT=40 Bitch!" tshirt.

SAT: 1020 early 90's only took once
MCAT: 32 only took once

MCAT = 0.016 * SAT + 11.5

this is based on the data provided be the new and old (thank you sistakaren) threads. non-recentered scores were ignored, as were posts indicating 1600/43-45.

what the equation translates to is...

1600.....37.1+

when looking at an individual's scores there may appear to be no corelation, but when many people's scores are considered together a beautiful relation emerges

now lets do high school GPA corelation with college GPA, then you'll be able to use the equation....

(GPA-2) * MCAT * (1.1 if ages 18-26) * (1.25 if URM) = index

(from "Mathematical formula for odds of Acceptance" thread)

to predict which medical school you will go to while still a junior in high school. :laugh:

V:550 M:650 Total 1200
MCAT VR8 PS13 BS11 Total 32P

Didn't study for the SAT's... what's even funnier is that my GF at the time crammed using all the special SAT practice test material, and she got an 1100. :D (Pat myself on the back). I did, however, have to study for the MCAT :p

SAT: 1460
MCAT: 37 (14V, 13B, 10P)

You should have also asked how much each person prepared for the SAT and MCAT. There may be a correlation between SAT and MCAT scores, but this does not imply any sort of causation. Preparation or Study Habits may be a confounding variable that is the cause for the correlation between high scores on both tests.

Originally posted by mattorama
Lars,

I wish my scores better fit your equation/table. I went into the SAT completely blind (almost blind...I did take the pre-SAT if that counts as prep) and scored a 1450. I took the MCAT almost blind (I took several practice tests and scored anywhere from low to high 30s, but didn't really study) and pretty much bombed it (10V, 10B, 8P). Do you think I should petition the AAMC for a higher score? It seems like I should have scored 6-7 points higher! :) :) :) Can I quote you in my letter?

the correlation coefficient for the study is r=.48, which is actually not as bad as i thought it might be hahahahaha

i'm affraid you fall into the statistically probable range of mcat scores based on your sat

Originally posted by JKDMed
You should have also asked how much each person prepared for the SAT and MCAT. There may be a correlation between SAT and MCAT scores, but this does not imply any sort of causation. Preparation or Study Habits may be a confounding variable that is the cause for the correlation between high scores on both tests.

If SAT score is X and
MCAT score is Y

I never claimed that X causes Y.

Simply that Z (test thakers ability) causes X
and Z causes Y

corelation not always implies causality, i believe the causal variable is totally independent of X and Y, so I think we were always in agreement on this point

Originally posted by Lars Ulrich
If SAT score is X and
MCAT score is Y

I never claimed that X causes Y.

Simply that Z (test thakers ability) causes X
and Z causes Y

corelation never implies causality, i believe the causal variable is totally independent of X and Y, so I think we were always in agreement on this point

X and Y are both a function of two variables (Z: ability and P: preperation). In the case of a function to determine X, Z is by far the dominate variable. On the other hand, for an equation to determine Y, P plays at LEAST as much of a role as Z if not quite a bit greater.

Originally posted by Lars Ulrich
the correlation coefficient for the study is r=.48

That's not linear at all. I expected it to be more like .8 or higher.

AAMC has correlation coefficients for MCAT results vs first year grades and USMLE Step scores. PS was lowest (something like .52) and VR was highest (over .7). Still not overly compelling.

I think using SDN as a sample size is pretty skewed to the right end of the bell curve...

The MCAT is an achievement test...not an aptitude test. Thus, your performance on the MCAT should vary directly with how much preparation you put into the exam. The MCAT is not designed to test logic (like the SAT and the LSAT). However, the SAT was designed to be an aptitude test which explains why so many people who didn't study for it at all received scores well over the 90th percentile. On the same token, many people who studied hard for the SAT and took prep classes received lower scores. Trying to find a "correlation" between these two exams which are polar opposites in not only what they test but how they test it...is kind of futile...

Originally posted by thackl
No correlation for me, but I actually studied for the MCAT and not for the SAT. I was lucky to get in at a good school considering my effort (lack of) in HS.

I didn't even know I was supposed to study for the SAT. I just showed up and took the exam then went home and back to sleep. Had I known that I should have studied I probably wouldn't have anyway. High school was all about minimal effort. But I went to a public high school so thats all that was required anyway.

SAT 1510
MCAT 42S: 13 VR 14 PS 15 BS

adding to the list, im curious what the correlation will be in the end too. if anyone wants acts, i can dig those scores up

SAT 1320 (can't remember breakdown)

MCAT 13V 13P 12B = 38

Why not make it like a poll like in the USMLE forum where they have a poll mcat vs usmle, that way we could see the results easier. I never took the sat, but I've got my ged.

SAT: 1530
IQ: 148-155 (Took it three times)

Originally posted by looseygoosey

we didnt ask for iq. now you're just bragging :p

Originally posted by exmike
we didnt ask for iq. now you're just bragging :p

I think that's what this whole thread is about, actually. :p

SAT 710 verbal, 580 math (1990 score) = 1290

MCAT 11 verbal, 10 biological, 8 physical = 29

"JUST AVERAGE" APPLICANTS Club (JAAC) President and Founder.

Now accepting new members

"but I've got my ged."

"A GED. You know what GED stand for....Good Enough Degree"
- Chris Rock

Sorry, thats the first thing that came to my mind when i read that. Thought i would share it with you guys

Originally posted by looseygoosey

How can you take an IQ test three times? I thought a real IQ test was some day-long test that a shrink had to administer.

And if it was one of those "test yourself" IQ tests, like on emode.com, then why didn't you memorize all of the correct answers by the third time you took the test and artificially inflate your score? :p :laugh:

Originally posted by Entei
How can you take an IQ test three times? I thought a real IQ test was some day-long test that a shrink had to administer.

And if it was one of those "test yourself" IQ tests, like on emode.com, then why didn't you memorize all of the correct answers by the third time you took the test and artificially inflate your score? :p :laugh:

I took the Mensa IQ test 3 times (different each time), first time when i was 12 or so. I took it a couple more times since to see if its true that your IQ doesnt change drastically. Although not administered by a shrink, the Mensa test is definitely more reliable than that online bullshat.

So I guess i haven't taken a "real" IQ test.

As if this thread werent ridiculous enough someone should start a genital size/MCAT correlation thread.