How to Approach This Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muffeoniv

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never done research in a lab before, but there is a major research lab where I live... I'm just in college part time right now (full time next year).... how do I approach them about doing "research" or helping in a lab?..... I mean what's the name of the "position?" ..... if they ask what do I want to do.... I just don't know how it works it's a genetic research lab.... and my brother has a genetic birth defect that I think they're researching.... but is it enough to just say "I'm interested in genetic research and was interested in helping in a lab" (not those words exactly):laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

OH HELLO! email the PI and say youre interested and would like to further their projects. also mention your brother's genetic birth defect to let them know you have a personal stake in the matter. please bilee dat

Why not read the abstracts and maybe the full articles that have come out of the lab recently. Ask for help understanding them if necessary from one of your profs. The PI will be more impressed if you seem conversant with his/her work. Personally, I'd suggest not mentioning your brother if he has exactly the condition they are researching. Keep the contact on a professional level. Provide a transcript so your experience with lab classes is evident. Offer your time as a volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just send the PI an email. Tell them that you are very interested in their research and ask if they have any interest in taking on an undergraduate student as a research volunteer in their lab. Attach a CV or resume. Keep the email short, non-needy, and professional.

If they get back to you and seem interested, set up a meeting to discuss their projects and see the lab. Hopefully things will keep moving from there.

Just send the PI an email. Tell them that you are very interested in their research and ask if they have any interest in taking on an undergraduate student as a research volunteer in their lab. Attach a CV or resume. Keep the email short, non-needy, and professional.

If they get back to you and seem interested, set up a meeting to discuss their projects and see the lab. Hopefully things will keep moving from there.

I decided to be pre-med like 1 month ago so even though this is probably the most common thing on the planet what's a PI lmao:laugh: