In need of advice: MD vs RN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is only my second post, so please bear with me! :)

At the age of 16, I passed my GED with flying colors (I was home-schooled prior to that) and I have now been in college for 4 months.

I will be 17 in January of 2011, and I plan on pursuing a career in the medical field. For the past two years, I have rest assured knowing that I desired to obtain my MD. I planned on going the route of double-majoring in Nursing and Biochem (to be able to work while going to school, of course).

I do have a few concerns though. As I watch my mother finish her BSN, I have realized that I love what nursing entails. I would thoroughly enjoy direct patient care, hands-on work, and general nursing duties. However, I also love what medicine has to offer. I like the idea of diagnosing, and generally controlling the route of patient care. It is a bit hard to imagine being a nurse, and being out-of-control of something I see unfit. Is there something between these two fields? Something with a bit more control than an RN, but still involving bedside care?

I am not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I have two "go-to" fields: Emergency Medicine and Global Health. The former is my practical choice, but the latter is something that I am passionate about.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

At the age of 16, I passed my GED with flying colors (I was home-schooled prior to that) and I have now been in college for 4 months.

I will be 17 in January of 2011, and I plan on pursuing a career in the medical field. For the past two years, I have rest assured knowing that I desired to obtain my MD. I planned on going the route of double-majoring in Nursing and Biochem (to be able to work while going to school, of course).

I do have a few concerns though. As I watch my mother finish her BSN, I have realized that I love what nursing entails. I would thoroughly enjoy direct patient care, hands-on work, and general nursing duties. However, I also love what medicine has to offer. I like the idea of diagnosing, and generally controlling the route of patient care. It is a bit hard to imagine being a nurse, and being out-of-control of something I see unfit. Is there something between these two fields? Something with a bit more control than an RN, but still involving bedside care?

I am not sure if this is worth mentioning, but I have two "go-to" fields: Emergency Medicine and Global Health. The former is my practical choice, but the latter is something that I am passionate about.

Thanks in advance!

NP (Nurse Practitioner)/PA (Physician's Assistant)... Also, you are mistaken if you think that doctors do not do "bedside care"

Physician Assistant

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I hope you have some sense how difficult it would be to work as a RN through medical school.

As, mentioned above, nurse practitioner or physician assistant might be a good fit.

I planned on going the route of double-majoring in Nursing and Biochem (to be able to work while going to school, of course).
Don't do that. If you don't plan to be a nurse for your career, don't take up a spot in nursing school. Secondly, you won't be able to work while going to school. Med school is a full-time job and then some.

Nurse Anesthetist.

Get into a 2 year RN program (you earn an ASN).
Work in a cardio ICU while you finish your BSN online (2 years and your workplace will pay for the schooling).
Nurse Anesthesia program... 2.5-3 years (many employers will at least partially subsidize this education).

You'll be making $180K by the time you're 25.

:idea:

P.S. Yes, I'm lurking aroung SDN to get an appreciation for what my son's going through as he applies to med school.

Last edited:
Ask yourself these two questions:

Would you rather be ordering treatments or carrying out the orders?

How do you feel about cleaning up poop?

Ask yourself these two questions:

Would you rather be ordering treatments or carrying out the orders?

How do you feel about cleaning up poop?

Shut up dude. How much more glorious do you think your job will be disimpacting some guys ass, running your fingers on some old man's cancerous prostate, or scraping a biopsy off of someone's purulent, stinky STD.

We need nurses just as much as we need doctors. About once a week a nurse saves my ass on the wards.

Thanks in advance!

If you're passionate about being an MD, go for it. While you're at it, don't go for a nursing major. It'll be hard maintaining your GPA while in you're nursing school, let alone doing a double major with Biochem :eek:. It'll probably take you 5+ years to do it compared to doing just a biology major for 4 years or less.

Trust me on this. I'm currently a nursing student at a local community college, but believe me on this that I would have gone to a university doing biology in a heartbeat if not for my family and geographical constraints. My family forced nursing on me :( on thinking that doing biology entails a greater risk of being unemployed if I don't get into medical school, but they're paying for me.

I'm now suffering by doing this, but I'm planning on doing all of my premed classes this coming summer as well as getting some research experience at the university. I'll be around 23-24 yo by the time I get into medical school w/o breaks in between. And to think that I graduated high school (not home schooled btw) at 17. By going to nursing, you'll be depriving yourself of the most important asset the universe ever has, time. It's best to just close your eyes, drink the tequila, and be done with it.

Beging a new grad RN is pretty tough right now A LOT aren't able to find work or are being passed up for experienced RN's. You'll need RN experience to advance to NP which it sounds like you want. Theres no point in getting an RN and not being able to find work for 1-2 years which is happening a lot to new grads. Waste of money and time sitting around doing nothing hoping to find work, PA/MD/DO all the way:thumbup:

I tend to think you'll get a bit of a skewed answer on this forum since it's directed towards those looking to get into medicine. My advice to you, since you just started college and have the benefit of time before you need to commit to one path is to try and shadow some experienced people in all the fields mentioned on this thread - an MD/DO, an NP, a PA and an RN. In the mean time get started with your pre-med pre-reqs especially chemistry (take the one for pre-meds NOT nursing students) since that's probably the most transferrable course among all the fields. Hopefully the shadowing will help you figure out what you want to do long term and then you can decide on your major accordingly. The BSN/NP route is considerably different from the MD/DO/PA route in terms of classes you'll need so it would be best to choose sooner rather than later to avoid back-tracking. Good luck with your decision!

Shut up dude. How much more glorious do you think your job will be disimpacting some guys ass, running your fingers on some old man's cancerous prostate, or scraping a biopsy off of someone's purulent, stinky STD.

We need nurses just as much as we need doctors. About once a week a nurse saves my ass on the wards.
Nurses do a LOT more dirty work than doctors.

Shadow a doc to get a better idea of what MDs actually do.

PA>>>NP

If you decide that you would enjoy either route equally, you might as well factor in the lifestyle of each. Do you want to spend most of your twenties on your education, or would you rather be working a job and earning a real paycheck?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I hope you have some sense how difficult it would be to work as a RN through medical school.

As, mentioned above, nurse practitioner or physician assistant might be a good fit.

I'm a male CNA and often questioned whether or not I should become an RN to do work while pursuing graduate school or medical school.

So, sorry to hijack the thread.. but... how hard is it really to be an RN and pursue MD?
I suspect, for sure, a person would have to do part-time work and part-time student.

I mean, if I was an RN and worked weekends and was part-time, then I don't think I'd have too much of an issue.

The work is dirty and mentally nerve-racking, but I much rather be a CNA/RN than work with manual labor, lifting 20 to 30+ lb boxes every 15 seconds, etc... I've done the manual labor. It's not fun anymore if you do the heavy stuff!

I got out of working various jobs that you can have a physically tasking job or a mentally tasking job: I prefer the mentally tasking jobs.

I'm not sure about the RN market, but I've always been told there will be a need for nurses. Definitely this physician's assistant stuff makes it look like the PA is like the CNA to the RN (for what I've read the past few months). So, in other words, people would be hiring more CNAs rather than nurses, because the CNAs can do many of the duties of the RN. As such, it's economical and cuts down on costs. So.. hiring more PAs rather than MDs also cuts down on costs...

But if there is a buck to be made, cutting into someone else's market is the way to go.

Last edited:
I'm a male CNA and often questioned whether or not I should become an RN to do work while pursuing graduate school or medical school.

So, sorry to hijack the thread.. but... how hard is it really to be an RN and pursue MD?
I suspect, for sure, a person would have to do part-time work and part-time student.

I mean, if I was an RN and worked weekends and was part-time, then I don't think I'd have too much of an issue.

The work is dirty and mentally nerve-racking, but I much rather be a CNA/RN than work with manual labor, lifting 20 to 30+ lb boxes every 15 seconds, etc... I've done the manual labor. It's not fun anymore if you do the heavy stuff!

I got out of working various jobs that you can have a physically tasking job or a mentally tasking job: I prefer the mentally tasking jobs.

I'm not sure about the RN market, but I've always been told there will be a need for nurses. Definitely this physician's assistant stuff makes it look like the PA is like the CNA to the RN (for what I've read the past few months). So, in other words, people would be hiring more CNAs rather than nurses, because the CNAs can do many of the duties of the RN. As such, it's economical and cuts down on costs. So.. hiring more PAs rather than MDs also cuts down on costs...

But if there is a buck to be made, cutting into someone else's market is the way to go.

I'm not gonna lie, a lot of this post doesn't make sense to me. To answer your question, it should be practically impossible to work as an RN while in medical school. Your first two years are already quite busy, and then after that you'll be expected to be in the hospital pretty much constantly for your clinical years. And going to medical school part-time isn't a real thing (at least as far as I know).

Just curious, but how is being a CNA not manual labor? I completed exactly two shifts as a CNA and despite using the best lifting technique I could, I felt like my back was on fire.

CNAs will never take over for RNs just as PAs will never take over for doctors. A CNA can move a patient and clean a patient, and not a whole lot else. RNs start IVs, administer medications under a doctor's orders, and do so many other things that aren't even close to the scope of practice of a CNA that comparing them is confusing to me. Physician's assistants are required to work under the supervision of a licensed medical doctor for the similar reason of their education not being advanced extensive enough to allow them to practice on their own.

I'm sorry if any of this came across as rude, that truly wasn't my intention. But a lot of your post is basically backwards from the way things actually work in the US health system.

So, sorry to hijack the thread.. but... how hard is it really to be an RN and pursue MD? I suspect, for sure, a person would have to do part-time work and part-time student.

RN and NP can both be done part-time. In those programs, you take individual classes until you're ready for your practicum. Even that can be done over a certain time frame, so I believe could be done part-time.

Med school and PA school are all or nothing. You don't have a choice of just taking anatomy or just taking cell bio this semester. You have to take all the classes with everyone else. I do know of some people who are working during med school. They're content with being in the lower tier of the class because their jobs are eating into study time some. You could probably work during med school if you're super smart, but I wouldn't recommend going into school assuming you'll be able to pull it off. I doubt I could work more than 1 shift a week without my performance suffering.

The difference is that a lot of doctors are self-employed. So, it's more like the insurance companies and Medicare paying them, not employers. This is slowly changing though, so who knows what the future will bring?

You really need to compare the two different fields before you go into them. Also if you want to do nursing (BSN,RN,or NP) or Medicine (MD or DO) pick one or the other. Don't hang out in nursing school if your gunning to be a doctor and don't waste your time with the Premed requirements, MCAT and other hassles if you want to be a nurse. Honestly there is a stigma that nurse are less then doctors but the reality of it is they do a different job. You need to pick what job you want to do then go for it with all you have. Here is what I recommend get your CNA, it will be useful which ever path you take. Then get a job in a hospital, as a CNA you will dirrectly observe nurses as they work. Ask them question about the profession, what they love and hate about it. Then Shadow an NP. Ask the same questions and observe how they work. Then try to shadow three different docs, in different fields if you can. Ask then the same questions and observe. Once all that is said and done, make your choice. If you are in nursing school and decide you want to be a doc, withdraw from nursing school so somebody else can get in. Honestly if you are more interested in Biochem you already seem to be leaning towards the doctor realm but this is a good way to find out for sure. Also if you shadow all those docs your shadowing requirement will be done. Use that CNA to get a good clinical experence and volenteer outside of medicine to show you care about others.

Good luck and I am sure you will figure out the best path for you.

...Just curious, but how is being a CNA not manual labor? I completed exactly two shifts as a CNA and despite using the best lifting technique I could, I felt like my back was on fire...

Well, I use to strength train a lot. Handling a 135 man or woman is not a big deal for me. I can curl 100lbs, bench 150+, squat 150+, deadlifts 150+, etc... Most residents aren't very overweight. But then again, that's another reason people have an interest in male CNAs: Strength to do the job. So, yeah, there is definitely some labor to it. But it's not like night-shift at Sam's club, no sir. If you work enough rough jobs, you gain a sense of appreciation for the nicer ones that don't seem to burn and hurt as much.

Don't worry about seeming rude. It's all good. :thumbup:

Thread creator, if it the case is that you can't be a part-time medical student, I would not suggest being an RN and going to medical school.

As a male CNA, I hate the sexism I get from the elderly women living in the nursing home. Other than that, people need showers, they need to be cleaned up, and the people's families and the residents living in the nursing homes expect us to get those jobs done. You've got to develop a third sense for when someone is going to do something stupid, dangerous, etc.. That way you can prevent people from getting hurt. Part of that comes about from doing your job well enough to check on people. The work is dirty, yes. It's a bit traumatic at first, yes. But if the people don't get cleaned up, they'll get infections, and then they'll die that much sooner.

Last edited:
Well, I use to strength train a lot. Handling a 135 man or woman is not a big deal for me. I can curl 100lbs, bench 150+, squat 150+, deadlifts 150+, etc... QUOTE]

Whoa whoa whoa...you can curl 100 but only bench/squat/dead 150? Something is flawed with your lifting routine...focusing a little too much on da curling for da hugee biCEPTZ gunz

Noone cares about how much you can curl. Google starting strength and mark rippetoe. Or just go to his forum on http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php. Great philosophy/lifting methods. Or just keep doing what makes you happy, w/e

Sorry for getting off topic/mini rant :D

Perhaps get a volunteer position at a hospital and spend some time seeing the day to day life and duties of the different medical professions. Also, don't worry about making a choice right now. You have time to figure things out, so just do some research and see what is out there that appeals to you. When I was 16/17 my career interests were something like Navy SEAL vs rockstar vs pro rugby player. As you gain life experiences and exposure to different career options you will find what is right for you.

Don't do that. If you don't plan to be a nurse for your career, don't take up a spot in nursing school. Secondly, you won't be able to work while going to school. Med school is a full-time job and then some.

Not all of us have the luxury of being able to do JUST school. I'm having to work my way through, I have no choice. Right now I'm just banking as much as I can so that I can support myself once med school becomes too much for me with a nursing job.

RNs have the option of working through an agency to work only as they need to, which is really smart if you DO have to work through school, and you are a RN.

Not all of us have the luxury of being able to do JUST school. I'm having to work my way through, I have no choice. .

You absolutely have a choice, the choice is to take out more loans. Other than those of us on a military scholarship, that's what pretty much everyone in medical school is doing.

A lot of people here worked their way through undergrad, or at least supplemented their income with a part time job, but that just doesn't work in medical school. It's not just the amount of time you need to devote to studying, it's the fact that you have a new schedule every single day, and they often change your schedule on you with no notice. Very few of my peers worked during the first two years of medical school, and during the last two, when you may be stuck in the hospital for up to 30 hours at a stretch, it's just impossible. So I think previous posters were absolutely right that getting a difficult BSN degree so that you can work when you're in medical school is silly when the reality is that you can't really work in medical school.

You absolutely have a choice, the choice is to take out more loans. Other than those of us on a military scholarship, that's what pretty much everyone in medical school is doing.

A lot of people here worked their way through undergrad, or at least supplemented their income with a part time job, but that just doesn't work in medical school. It's not just the amount of time you need to devote to studying, it's the fact that you have a new schedule every single day, and they often change your schedule on you with no notice. Very few of my peers worked during the first two years of medical school, and during the last two, when you may be stuck in the hospital for up to 30 hours at a stretch, it's just impossible. So I think previous posters were absolutely right that getting a difficult BSN degree so that you can work when you're in medical school is silly when the reality is that you can't really work in medical school.

eh, you're a little off-base here. people do it, and some of them do it through all four years. Nursing isn't a bad way to do it, either - since it pays pretty well and you can do it per diem.

the other poster might have a family, a mortgage, some kind of commitment that makes it necessary for them to work in med school. more loans doesn't always cut it, and sometimes more loans just aren't available. that said, people who work in med school are all making the choice to compromise their med school performance, because they aren't using that time to study. in fact, if this is your plan, you'd better be damned smart because you're not going to have as much time as the rest of us.

Well, I use to strength train a lot. Handling a 135 man or woman is not a big deal for me. I can curl 100lbs, bench 150+, squat 150+, deadlifts 150+, etc...

Whoa whoa whoa...you can curl 100 but only bench/squat/dead 150? Something is flawed with your lifting routine...focusing a little too much on da curling for da hugee biCEPTZ gunz

Noone cares about how much you can curl. Google starting strength and mark rippetoe. Or just go to his forum on http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php. Great philosophy/lifting methods. Or just keep doing what makes you happy, w/e

Sorry for getting off topic/mini rant :D
Yeah, when I read that post I had to do a double take too :laugh: