Army match statistics 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walkoffhr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have them or know when they come out?

Members don't see this ad.

If you log into MODS and click GME slide show under General Information it has a slide with a list of applicants per approved positions from 2006-2010.

I have attached a screen shot in case you don't have access to MODS.

Attachments

• army residency.jpg
    army residency.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 958
I'm assuming the OP wants the stats for the class of 2011's match for this year. If that's the case, then the attached file doesn't include this information. I didn't see the new stats on MODS when I checked today

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming the OP wants the stats for the class of 2011's match for this year. If that's the case, then the attached file doesn't include this information. I didn't see the new stats on MODS when I checked today

Oops. That explains the lack of 2010 board scores. I assumed they meant the match from Dec '10. I reckon when the new data is posted they will probably update that ppt.

Oops. That explains the lack of 2010 board scores. I assumed they meant the match from Dec '10. I reckon when the new data is posted they will probably update that ppt.

Yea I wasn't sure when I first checked it but I saw the match stat for ortho which was ~0.86. That was an outlier compared to previous years so I knew it was last years match statistics. When the results come out, we should get an email from MODS about it.

If you log into MODS and click GME slide show under General Information it has a slide with a list of applicants per approved positions from 2006-2010.

I have attached a screen shot in case you don't have access to MODS.

Do you have the stats for the other specialties? Thanks!

The GME slideshow for the class of 2011 match is up on MODS. Most competitive specialties are: General Surgery, Emergency Medicine, GS Neurosurgery, ENT, Ortho.

Weird. I just checked and it's the 2011 stats. It's under the tab titled "General Info" and then "GME slideshow".

General Surgery is the most highly competitive specialty within the army? I was under the impression that they weren't even filling all of their slots?

General Surgery is the most highly competitive specialty within the army? I was under the impression that they weren't even filling all of their slots?

Where are you going to get this info?

Members don't see this ad :)
The MODS website for HPSP students.

Any chance one of you could post this data, in its entirety, for the those who are considering the HPSP scholarship? :)

Any chance one of you could post this data, in its entirety, for the those who are considering the HPSP scholarship? :)

Heres the Slideshow on the Mods Website. Pages 14 and 15 show the information being looked for in this thread but plenty of other useful information is in the slideshow. I saved it as PDF to make it easier to view.

Attachments

• GMESlideshow2010.pdf
    450.1 KB · Views: 823
Heres the Slideshow on the Mods Website. Pages 14 and 15 show the information being looked for in this thread but plenty of other useful information is in the slideshow. I saved it as PDF to make it easier to view.

thanks Easy C!!!

the slideshow states there are 290 army grads but only 260 residency spots.... does that mean the other 30 end up as GMOs???

General Surgery in the Army is getting very competitive. We take 4 interns and keep 3 as PGY-2's. There has been 2-3 transitional interns each year that wanted to do general surgery. It does vary year-to-year, but overall it's competitive. Let me know if you have any questions about Army surgery.

I noticed that the data on the USLME/COMLEX was kind of spotty for the second slide. Is this just lack of data or do DO's generally not apply for those residencies in the mil?

It's probably that DO students didn't apply for those residencies that year. That doesn't mean DO students never apply for those residencies. The only thing you can extrapolate from this data is the application patterns of the students from this class only. It could be entirely different after the next match in December

Last edited:
the slideshow states there are 290 army grads but only 260 residency spots.... does that mean the other 30 end up as GMOs???

From this years LOI to the class of 2012 Army grads applying to military match

"There are 378 projected students in the graduating class of 2012 with 376 projected FYGME positions: therefore a maximum of nearly 100% of students will be matched to Army training programs. Deferment authorizations are restricted by graduating class size and specialty mix. The closer the class size is to the number of positions that are available for training, the less likely deferments can be considered. Students not matching in their specialty choice will most likely be placed in a transitional program or have the option to compete for unfilled vacancies in Army programs after the match. Chances for civilian deferment will be few, if any."

I have never taken the time to add up the spots on the GME slide show, but there always seems to be some funny business with the numbers on there. For instance, urology doesn't appear to be competitive, but in reality, some of the programs last year just didn't like the applicants that they saw, so they didn't take them. I wonder if those people are just not counted?

. Students not matching in their specialty choice will most likely be placed in a transitional program or have the option to compete for unfilled vacancies in Army programs after the match. Chances for civilian deferment will be few, if any."

So if someone is placed into a transitional program, and reapplies the next year, do they enter the residency as a 1st or 2nd year resident?

So if someone is placed into a transitional program, and reapplies the next year, do they enter the residency as a 1st or 2nd year resident?

Depends on what program they apply for. I know a guy who is a "resitern" this year, as he was a Transitional intern last year, and successfully reapplied for an ENT spot. He was given partial credit for last year, and was given enough heads up, that his TY year was able to be restructured, such that he had more surgical months towards the end, so it wouldn't be a complete wash.

If you were applying to Radiology, PM&R, Anesthesiology, etc, then you would start as a PGY2, as these specialties all do Transitional internships anyway, in the Army.

I ran into a couple people over the summer who ended up having to do a second intern year once they matched into a program. i.e. Didn't match the first year, did an intern year, matched into a specialty and then were required to do another intern year. This was just because some of the residencies can't just absorb another resident into the program without hurting the caseload of the other residents (especially applicable to surgical residents).

Some of the transitional programs require certain rotations to be completed prior to residency. I met with the transitional PD at BAMC recently and the transitional year for rads/derm/anesthesa etc are all a little different in which services they rotate through (although 80% similar). So, psychbender is right about that year not being a wash if you go into one of those specialties.

The ACGME/COMLEX stats are incredible.

If you look at psych, IM, FP, Comlex 2 scores - some HPSP graduates matched into these residencies with Comlex scores which are 2-3 standard deviations below the mean. In essence the bottom performers are so bad, they really have no realistic chance of passing COMLEX 2 much less any national board certification. I think this supports my contention that the bottom performers have no real business pursuing a medical career.

The average scores for entrants into these residencies are well.. average... but that is not factoring in the applicants with failures into the calculation - interesting decision to omit these scores in the mean calculation.

The ACGME/COMLEX stats are incredible.

If you look at psych, IM, FP, Comlex 2 scores - some HPSP graduates matched into these residencies with Comlex scores which are 2-3 standard deviations below the mean. In essence the bottom performers are so bad, they really have no realistic chance of passing COMLEX 2 much less any national board certification. I think this supports my contention that the bottom performers have no real business pursuing a medical career.

The average scores for entrants into these residencies are well.. average... but that is not factoring in the applicants with failures into the calculation - interesting decision to omit these scores in the mean calculation.

I'm confused. I haven't seen much in COMLEX scores, so I checked the NBOME website:

"Standard scores (3-digit). The mean 3-digit standard scores of all three written examinations are 500, regardless of when the examinations are given. The minimal passing 3-digit standard score for Level 1 and Level 2 (CE) is 400, for Level 3 is 350, regardless of when the examinations are taken."

Some of the scores listed as matching into the specialties in the PDF file you mentioned are below that, particularly the Level 2 mark. How can they practice, even in a training program, if they haven't passed the requisite boards?

I'm confused. I haven't seen much in COMLEX scores, so I checked the NBOME website:

"Standard scores (3-digit). The mean 3-digit standard scores of all three written examinations are 500, regardless of when the examinations are given. The minimal passing 3-digit standard score for Level 1 and Level 2 (CE) is 400, for Level 3 is 350, regardless of when the examinations are taken."

Some of the scores listed as matching into the specialties in the PDF file you mentioned are below that, particularly the Level 2 mark. How can they practice, even in a training program, if they haven't passed the requisite boards?
That is my point - they can practice and do practice as PGY-1's

Just an update, had a lecture by Col Powers today and he stated that for the upcoming match it'll have 386 students not 378 students with only 376 spots available. To qualify for a defferemtn you'll need to have passed step 1, 2 and BOLC

Just an update, had a lecture by Col Powers today and he stated that for the upcoming match it'll have 386 students not 378 students with only 376 spots available. To qualify for a defferemtn you'll need to have passed step 1, 2 and BOLC

Does everyone qualify for a deferment (assuming they pass step 1, step 2 and BOLC) or is it only specific specialties?

Does everyone qualify for a deferment (assuming they pass step 1, step 2 and BOLC) or is it only specific specialties?
I'm going to say no not everyone qualifies. I'm thinking that if you apply IM and there are spots that go unfilled in IM you will have to do a mil residency, however if you apply for surgery or EM and that gets filled and you don't match you may have the ability to apply for a civ deferment

I'm going to say no not everyone qualifies. I'm thinking that if you apply IM and there are spots that go unfilled in IM you will have to do a mil residency, however if you apply for surgery or EM and that gets filled and you don't match you may have the ability to apply for a civ deferment

The army will probably ID which fields need more physicians (likely ones that haven't filled in past years). Then they will allow deferments for those fields, however they won't offer them to the top applicants, rather the bottom ones.

As was explained to me, the military residencies want to be filled with the best applicants (why wouldn't they? It helps their board pass rates, helps create less work for attendings and other residents, etc).

For example given these hypothetical numbers: If there are 15 applicants for pediatrics, but only 10 military spots. They will take applicants 1-10 on their rank list. No discussion, end of story. Then the army may decide they could use a couple extra pediatricians, so they would offer those folks in spots 11 and 12 a deferment. Then the remaining people get plugged in somewhere they don't desire at all and can reapply next year or do a GMO tour.

That is the tough part about, if you are in the top of the field you go military, if you are in the bottom you may not get it and a small small minority in the middle may get a deferment. It is much easier to be a top applicant than it is to be number 11 out of 15....bottom line, don't plan on getting a deferment in the army.

I understand the air force is a little different since many of their applicants do civilian residencies.