Reapply for Med School while attending another school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugarbabee0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I wanted to know if it is possible to apply through amcas to MD schools while accepting (and i guess attending) a DO school for the upcoming year. Basically, if i get accepted to the MD school, I will drop pout of the DO school i will be in at the time and wait to go to MD schools. I know this means that i might have to take part of the first year of medical school twice... but is something like this possible?

The reason i want to do this is bc i have been accepted to DO school for this upcoming year but would like to do MD for personal reasons. However, i do not want to risk losing my spot at the DO school and also reapplying and getting into a MD school is also risky with a 30MCAT/3.7gpa in CA... I understand that i might not get into a MD school but at the same time, i wont be wasting a year... i will just continue my DO degree...

Is there any way that either the DO or MD school will know what i am doing? Is this a really bad idea? Any thought?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a really bad idea.

Reactions: 1 users
This is actually one of the worst ideas ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm i'm actually interested in this as well except i'll be apply from a pharmD program, not DO. The obvious answer everybody here will give will be that it'll hurt your app and shows you're not a person who commits to their school... blah blah blah.

hopefully LizzyM can shine some light on this. though it'd be better to email some adcoms and see if they would consider DO students.

Hard to tell if srs. On your AMCAS primary app you have to indicate if you've ever matriculated to an MD program, not DO, but you do have to indicate your graduate program participation and submit transcripts, so either you have to lie (which is bad) or have your DO program submit a transcript to AAMC or Interfolio, and this might raise some questions. You will also have to answer many questions when your MD program prospects see that you are enrolled in a DO program, since lying about it is a really, really bad idea. Also, with you stats, you are very unlikely to get an acceptance in CA, for what that's worth. If it were likely, this entire exercise would be moot.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want the MD for 'personal reasons', then improve your application and re-apply. If you matriculate to the DO school, go through with DO degree. If you always wanted the MD, why apply DO?

though it'd be better to email some adcoms and see if they would consider DO students.

Only problem here is that the OP probably already applied to these schools, so they have a file on him, and this email would most likely find it's way into that applicant file with it's red-flaggedness intact.

Honestly this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

Here's my question: I'm assuming, since you want the MD, that you applied to MD schools concurrently with your DO application. I also have to assume that you did not get into any of those MD schools, thus your current conundrum. What makes you think you would have any better shot than you did this year?

Also, you do realize that DO is an equivalent degree to MD, right? Because what you're talking about is flushing $250,000 dollars down the drain for different letters (assuming $50,000 a year for med school and $200,000 for a year of lost salary).

School don't like to poach students from existing programs. Let's say you apply in June and matriculate in August so there is nothing on your AMCAS saying that you are currently enrolled in DO school. Then you get an interview and when the question comes up "what are you doing now" you say you are enrolled in DO school. :eek: What kind of clown are you? Why are you applying here (wasting our time with an interview) if you are already enrolled in medical school? I'd show you the door so fast your head would spin.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really bad idea. Would you regret the DO for the rest of your life or something?

School don't like to poach students from existing programs. Let's say you apply in June and matriculate in August so there is nothing on your AMCAS saying that you are currently enrolled in DO school. Then you get an interview and when the question comes up "what are you doing now" you say you are enrolled in DO school. :eek: What kind of clown are you? Why are you applying here (wasting our time with an interview) if you are already enrolled in medical school? I'd show you the door so fast your head would spin.

:laugh:

This does not sound like a good plan. Just reapply to MD, and a few DO schools. Pursue that MD degree IF that is what you want. It sounds like you will not be happy with the DO title due to your personal reasons.

Before you reapply you should find out directly from the schools why you were rejected. Once you have that answe decide of those are issues that can be fixed. Good luck :xf::xf:

Hey I wanted to know if it is possible to apply through amcas to MD schools while accepting (and i guess attending) a DO school for the upcoming year. Basically, if i get accepted to the MD school, I will drop pout of the DO school i will be in at the time and wait to go to MD schools. I know this means that i might have to take part of the first year of medical school twice... but is something like this possible?

The reason i want to do this is bc i have been accepted to DO school for this upcoming year but would like to do MD for personal reasons. However, i do not want to risk losing my spot at the DO school and also reapplying and getting into a MD school is also risky with a 30MCAT/3.7gpa in CA... I understand that i might not get into a MD school but at the same time, i wont be wasting a year... i will just continue my DO degree...

Is there any way that either the DO or MD school will know what i am doing? Is this a really bad idea? Any thought?

Absolutely a horrible idea. Not only do you have to indicate on your primary if you have ever been accepted/matriculated to another MD/DO school, it will surely be found out somewhere along the process either by the schools you are applying to or the school you are attending. Either way you are done for and justifiably so.

I would love to hear what personal reasons you are referring to. Your willy wont get any bigger having an MD compared to DO. Location/closeness to family/cost are important factors if comparing schools but I have never heard of someone having "personal reasons' for excluding an equal degree.

Something just doesn't add up or the OP has some serious common sense issues.

No way would you be granted an MD interview after listing you are currently enrolled in a D.O. school (or any graduate school) on your app.

Also, missing classes for interviews could potentially hurt you at the DO school, then you may have poor grades in the DO program/learn less from missing classes and still possibly not get into an MD program.

Absolutely a horrible idea. Not only do you have to indicate on your primary if you have ever been accepted/matriculated to another MD/DO school, it will surely be found out somewhere along the process either by the schools you are applying to or the school you are attending. Either way you are done for and justifiably so.

I would love to hear what personal reasons you are referring to. Your willy wont get any bigger having an MD compared to DO. Location/closeness to family/cost are important factors if comparing schools but I have never heard of someone having "personal reasons' for excluding an equal degree.

...but your chances of getting a highly desirable residency position will.

Unfortunately, this is still true at some of the stuffier schools on both coasts, but unless this tool absolutely has to do derm/neurosurg/plastics at Stanford or else he/she will tear down every Justin Bieber poster in their room and throw a hissy fit, they will be fine.

i doubt your chance at a highly desirable residency is significantly improved by going to a middling MD school vs. DO school..

i doubt your chance at a highly desirable residency is significantly improved by going to a middling MD school vs. DO school..

Hey all... thank you for your posts... even the ones who said its a horrible idea..

But yes this is one of the most important reasons for why I want to do MD. I know matching specialties are super hard on their own and being a DO wont help the situation. Also, the stigma is botehr me about DO. I know that it is the same degree but in Cali, most people have not heard of a DO. Its unfortunate, but the reality is that there is a stigma.

No "serious common sense isssues" but haha you are funny

Yes, family, location, tuition, not equivalent to MD's especially in CA, and the DO stigma pretty much covers most of my problems with becoming a DO.

And as someone else said, AMCAS does not ask if I have been in a DO school before... From what i remeber, it is MD only. And if it does say MD/DO, at the time of filing the application, I WILL NOT be a DO student since that will beign on Aug (vs June applications).

And the reason I think it will make a difference is bc of rolling admissions. I applied late so I got screwed at most schools.

you can have your cake, eat it, freeze the leftovers, take it out a few months later and let it thaw, and then sell the leftovers for profit.. amazing

Hey all... thank you for your posts... even the ones who said its a horrible idea..

But yes this is one of the most important reasons for why I want to do MD. I know matching specialties are super hard on their own and being a DO wont help the situation. Also, the stigma is botehr me about DO. I know that it is the same degree but in Cali, most people have not heard of a DO. Its unfortunate, but the reality is that there is a stigma.

Why ask the question if you're not willing to listen to the answer? Not a single person that responded to this thread thought this was a good idea. Some were neutral, and most were negative. You have to realize that the only stigma toward DO is the one that people create, and that is largely on the way out. If you really want equivalency, take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX and apply to both MD and DO residencies in whatever field you choose. My guess is that if you score well on those tests, no sane person will think less of you for your degree. And would you really want to work for someone who sees differences in ability where none exist?

I'd just like to add that you're an idiot.

I hope you attempt this, bomb out of your DO school while interviewing, and then don't get in anywhere.

PLEASE do not do it!!!!! I have said it before, and I just want to say it again!!!

It does not make you a bad person for wanting MD by your name it just not politically correct to say it.

Dumb idea.

It WILL come out that you are at a DO school while interviewing. You WILL be asked what you are doing in your year off. If you are honest, an MD school will not consider you. If you lie, that opens up a world of horrible outcomes.

Reject that DO offer so another serious student can take up your spot.

If you don't want to be a DO, don't enroll in school and take your chances reapplying. Your scores should be competitive but they're not great. (reality check #1) A year from now, you may be suicidal because you didn't get in anywhere and will be looking forward to applying to DO and/or Caribbean programs. 2 years of lost income are at least $400k, possibly more than $1M. (reality check #2). That's not too much right, only all your debt and a nice ride for you and the wife, and maybe a rental property as well.:rolleyes:
If you work hard, study, and kill the USMLE, you will be able to match into a competitive specialty. (reality check #3) There are DOs in every field of medicine, including the ROAD that everyone wants to be on. The USMLE, like the MCAT, is an equalizer allowing a comparison of apples to apples. Your scores have more to do with your study habits than your teachers spoon feeding you information. I interview people for a very competitive fellowship, I couldn't care less if you have a DO. It's all about the scores, recs and the interview.
You're about to make a big mistake, or you're a troll.

do realize a lot of MD programs allow DO students to complete a visiting rotation at their institution. this would be a good way of networking/proving yourself as you prepare for residency interviews and the match. since these opportunities exist in clinical years, it doesn't make much sense to me that a DO student would apply to complete the full MD degree.

Please be a troll please be a troll please be a troll.....

If you're not a troll, you need a serious reality check. D.O. school is not a SMP, it's medical school. You are considering dropping out of medical school to start over at a different medical school. How is this in any way acceptable?

Turn down your offer of admission and reapply early and broadly to both M.D. and D.O. schools.

doublefacepalm.jpg

ITT: Bad idea, or worst idea ever?

well, personally everyone, i think its a GREAT idea.

Seriously, if you don't want to be a D.O., don't go to the D.O. school. Reapply much earlier nxt yr and hope for the best

PLEASE do not do it!!!!! I have said it before, and I just want to say it again!!!

It does not make you a bad person for wanting MD by your name it just not politically correct to say it.

No, it is not politically correct to say it. I think that is because there is a lot of emotion attached to the issue. I think one of the problems is that when you say, "I don't want to go DO," some people think that you mean that DOs aren't as good a doctor as an MD, and then they think about all the wonderful DOs they know. That is NOT what most people mean when they say they prefer not to go to a DO school. Obviously, once you graduate and complete a residency, you are on equal footing. However, there are downsides to going the DO route. Most of these issues are only in their education model. I, for one, have absolutely zero interest in learning OMM. I also do not want to write essays on "why osteopathy" because the only reason I would be applying to DO school is because I was not getting noticed by MD schools. That does not sit well with me. I also do not want to have to compete for rotation sites through a lottery system or have to move do different states for my rotations (I know not ALL schools are like this, but many are). Nor do I want to take both the USMLE and COMLEX and apply for MD residencies as a DO, because they are really created for MD students and as both school systems expand, there is likely to be a residency crunch.

Another, less important reason why I am hesitant about DO schools is that I feel many of the schools are very business-like. They are tied to large "health professions schools" instead of traditional universities and are constantly opening programs in pharmacy, dentistry, optometry, etc. The tuition is higher than most MD programs and their class sizes are usually much larger. Midwestern even lists average physician salaries on their fact page along with admissions information and to me that is very tacky.

It is no doubt that DO schools are a wonderful option for people who made mistakes in their past or struggle with standardized tests. The grade forgiveness policy allows one to drastically change their GPA and become much more competitive. However, for many people, it's simply not their first choice.

Once again, I have nothing but respect for DO physicians! The school system is just what I have a problem with. Evidenced by the fact that many DOs themselves are rarely enthusiastic about OMM and compete for MD residencies shows that maybe there are downsides to the education model.

Anyway, this doesn't have much to do with the OP. I would have a hard time turning down a DO acceptance. You shouldn't apply where you wouldn't go.

No "serious common sense isssues" but haha you are funny

Yes, family, location, tuition, not equivalent to MD's especially in CA, and the DO stigma pretty much covers most of my problems with becoming a DO.

And as someone else said, AMCAS does not ask if I have been in a DO school before... From what i remeber, it is MD only. And if it does say MD/DO, at the time of filing the application, I WILL NOT be a DO student since that will beign on Aug (vs June applications).

And the reason I think it will make a difference is bc of rolling admissions. I applied late so I got screwed at most schools.
you can do whatever the hell you want and try to get away with it by invoking ridiculous technicalities, but i'll laugh when 3 years from now i see a thread by you with the title "OMG MD school admin threatening to expel over application dishonesty? What to do?!?!?!?!"

No, it is not politically correct to say it. I think that is because there is a lot of emotion attached to the issue. I think one of the problems is that when you say, "I don't want to go DO," some people think that you mean that DOs aren't as good a doctor as an MD, and then they think about all the wonderful DOs they know. That is NOT what most people mean when they say they prefer not to go to a DO school. Obviously, once you graduate and complete a residency, you are on equal footing. However, there are downsides to going the DO route. Most of these issues are only in their education model. I, for one, have absolutely zero interest in learning OMM. I also do not want to write essays on "why osteopathy" because the only reason I would be applying to DO school is because I was not getting noticed by MD schools. That does not sit well with me. I also do not want to have to compete for rotation sites through a lottery system or have to move do different states for my rotations (I know not ALL schools are like this, but many are). Nor do I want to take both the USMLE and COMLEX and apply for MD residencies as a DO, because they are really created for MD students and as both school systems expand, there is likely to be a residency crunch.
you don't think this happens at MD schools? get your facts straight.

your comments about the DO "educational model" is bizarre and not worthy of comment

you don't think this happens at MD schools? get your facts straight.

I like how your MO is to take one piece of someone's post and try to refute it by using an extreme example, all in one surly sentence. Why so angry?

I like how your MO is to take one piece of someone's post and try to refute it by using an extreme example, all in one surly sentence. Why so angry?
i ain't even mad, where is my extreme example?

i ain't even mad, where is my extreme example?

I want you to name me all the MD schools that use a lottery system for rotation sites so I can put them at the bottom of my list.

Dude, you're kidding yourself...

This has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Most people haven't heard of DO's anywhere, this doesn't mean that they aren't in those locations, it's just due to the general public's ignorance to all things medicine. They don't know about DO's, because they call them Doctors...

I want you to name me all the MD schools that use a lottery system for rotation sites so I can put them at the bottom of my list.
i want you to do your own flippin research, i'm still waiting on how i used an "extreme example," thanks.

i want you to do your own flippin research, i'm still waiting on how i used an "extreme example," thanks.

Your extreme example was implying that many MD schools also use a lottery system. That is not the norm. Therefore, extreme example.