UVM Post-Bac program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerrapinAndrew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been a few threads regarding UVM post-bac but I could not find any fairly recent ones.

Who is currently in the UVM post-bac program or has completed it?

How is the instruction? How hard are the classes? How is the social-life amongst fellow post-bacs and in Burlington in general?

Would a 3.5 GPA (upward trend) and a significant amount of shadowing and medical research experience be competitive? (I will have a published paper under my belt by the end of the year).

If people don't want to discuss this information in the thread, PMs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

To preface, I'm currently in my second semester of the UVM post-bacc program.

I would imagine that you'd be fairly competitive for the program, especially if your high school grades and SAT scores are good. You should try to get some medically-related volunteering in before applying, though, if you don't have any yet. There are plenty of opportunities to get more once you're here, but they like to see that you've got some experience in the field.

The quality of instruction is a little hard to quantify, since it's a large university and there are a number of different instructors. I've had one good and one poor (but fairly easy - and I don't think he's teaching that course anymore) professor in Bio, and a fantastic Chem professor. There are great instructors and mediocre instructors, just like any other school.

How hard is difficult to say, too. I pulled an A and an A- last semester, but I worked my ass off for them...for whatever that's worth. I find Chem significantly more challenging than Bio, but that might have something to do with not having taken a math class in almost 10 years. *shrug* I don't know anybody who's failing, but I don't know anybody who's coasting, either. I do know a couple people who have gotten Cs and Ds on exams. Grades (at least in the classes I've had) have been based purely on four or five test scores and lab grades, so I guess if you don't test well it can be difficult. From what I've heard, they give you some grief if you don't maintain at least a 3.5 gpa. Physics is supposed to be really hard here...but I haven't taken it yet.

The social life amongst the post-baccs is really nice. They throw you in lectures (and occasionally labs) full of 18 & 19 year olds, which can be frustrating, but the upside is that you end up getting to know the other post-baccs really well. The program is technically open to pre-vet, pre-dental, pre-nursing, etc., but the vast majority are pre-med. Most of us are in our mid twenties, but there are some older students, too.

Burlington is a great area, although it is very much a college town. Lots of excellent restaurants and coffee shops and dive bars with live music. It's a small town, but it's very much the cultural hub of Vermont. A warning, though: I don't know where you're from, but be prepared for snow. Like, unimaginable amounts of snow. Apparently we've had rather more than our usual share this year, but I got snowed into my apartment for two days...LAST WEEK.

Anyway. I had two exams today and am exhausted, and I feel like I'm rambling. If you have more questions though, feel free to let me know.

Thanks for that response, since I was looking for some perspective on this program as well. I actually applied, and have been waiting for a response. Maybe I've been spoiled by the quick responses from other programs, but I'm definitely eager to hear back from them at this point. I noticed they haven't even deposited my application fee check yet. Do you recall how long it took for you to hear back after applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you recall how long it took for you to hear back after applying?

Whoops, I didn't get an email notification about your reply here. Sorry about that. UVM doesn't do rolling admissions until after the priority deadline, which is why it can take much longer to hear back from them. Don't take it to mean anything ominous. I heard back from them around this time, so I would imagine you should be hearing from them soon. If you don't hear back from them by the end of March, feel free to give them a call. The ladies (and one guy) who work in the Continuing Ed office are all really nice, and I'm sure they'd understand you getting anxious.

Good news: I got accepted!

Bad news: I have 2 weeks to decide to go or not, and I'm still waiting to hear back from other programs. :scared:

Good news: I got accepted!

Bad news: I have 2 weeks to decide to go or not, and I'm still waiting to hear back from other programs. :scared:

Congratulations! That's funny, though...UVM was actually the last program I heard back from, since most other programs have rolling admissions. Which programs are you waiting to hear back from, if you don't mind me asking?

I was accepted yesterday as well, and I am weighing my options. Can you provide some info on true med school acceptance rates and support from the program? I am also very curious about what it actually takes to link to UVM med as well as how many people successfully do this. Thanks.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Ok, so as far as the UVM College of Medicine goes, you need at least a 3.5 in everything (overall undergrad, BCPM, and post-bacc) and at least a 30 on the MCAT with no scores lower than 8. (This is all on the website, so if this is news to you, you should check that out.) The guaranteed interview linkage is brand new, so we don't have the stats on that yet. Previously, when the guarantee was just that they would give your application a full read, they interviewed about 75% of the post-bacc applications, and about 75% of those were accepted. (This info comes from my advisor.)

I don't know the overall med school admissions stats, but since about 85% of the post-bacc students I've met are pre-med (with the others being a few pre-vets and one pre-dental, which are also very difficult to get into), I would imagine that it's very close to what's listed on the site. Also, the direct linkage with UNECOM only requires a 2.75 undergrad and a 3.0 post-bacc gpa, so if you're willing to go the D.O. route, you're more or less guaranteed to be a doctor.

I'd be happy to email my advisor and get some more exact data on this, or you can do it yourself. Her name is Polly Allen, and all her contact info is on the program website.

Last edited:
Rooni, your previous posts have been very helpful!

I am deciding between Bennington and UVM's post-bacc program. Any thoughts on advantages to UVM over Bennington? I am having a hard time determining the pros and cons between a smaller, 1-year program like Bennington or a larger group where I could take more time to finish all the med pre reqs.

How is the support at UVM from the faculty and staff? Are you planning to finish your pre-reqs in 1 year or take some more time?

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice.

No problem...glad to help!

Unfortunately, I really know next to nothing about Bennington's program. They weren't really on my radar when I was applying. I think they have much smaller lecture sizes than UVM, which can be a benefit. I haven't had much trouble getting to know my professors even with largish lectures, though. You just need to put a little more effort into speaking up in class and going to office hours. I also know that they don't have any medical school linkages, for whatever that's worth. (Although the only ones that UVM has are to the UVM College of Medicine and UNECOM, and only UNECOM lets you drop the glide year, so it's not like we have any super great ones either.)

The only other advantage I can think of offhand is that Burlington is really the place to be in Vermont. I don't know much about Bennington, but it's pretty small, so I can't imagine that it has anywhere near the opportunities that Burlington has, both in terms of premed (jobs, research, volunteering, etc.), and just in terms of stuff to do on your time off. Fletcher Allen has a fantastic volunteer department, and UVM has an entire office dedicated to undergrad research opportunities (which we have access to).

It's perfectly possible to do the UVM program in a year and a summer if you want, but I'm taking two years to do mine. I did my undergraduate work at a music conservatory, so it had been about 8 years since I'd taken math or science classes, and I was a little worried that taking Chem, Bio and Physics together might be a bit of an overload. So I'm going a little slower, readjusting to the academic world (and making sure I get great grades), and taking the extra time to volunteer. To be honest, if I'd gotten into a 1-year program like Bryn Mawr or Goucher I would have gone, but I'm fine with the way things turned out.

The advantages of a shorter program are, obviously, that you get into med school a year earlier, which translates to big bucks eventually. I've also heard that the intense 1-year programs can show med schools you're able to handle a rigorous schedule, but I had an extremely rigorous undergrad schedule, and I'm filling my free hours with volunteer work, so I don't think I have much to prove there.

I've found the folks at UVM to be extremely supportive. My Chem professor is just about the best thing since penicillin, and two out of the three Bio profs I've had are great, too (the third isn't teaching Bio anymore). Labs are taught by TAs, who can be hit-or-miss, but I think that's true just about anywhere. (I've had two great, one mediocre, and one awful one so far.) Polly, the post-bacc program chair and advisor, is really great. She answers emails incredibly quickly, and seems very knowledgeable about the workings of med school admissions. I've heard some complaints about her, but those have all come from either A) people who aren't premed (apparently she knows less about vet schools than she does about med), or B) people who aren't doing well in the program. I think they give you some grief if your GPA falls below a 3.5, which seems understandable to me.

Whew. So. If you have any more questions, feel free to give me a shout here or in a PM. Best of luck in making your decision!

I got my acceptance letter on Friday as well! I'm doing the program in hopes of pursuing the master's entry nursing program next year. I was glad to find this site and hope to get to know some future classmates.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Ok, so as far as the UVM College of Medicine goes, you need at least a 3.5 in everything (overall undergrad, BCPM, and post-bacc) and at least a 30 on the MCAT with no scores lower than 8.

So essentially if you excell in the program but have an undergrad gpa of under 3.5 you are ineligible for the linkage / guaranteed interview?

So essentially if you excell in the program but have an undergrad gpa of under 3.5 you are ineligible for the linkage / guaranteed interview?

From what I understand, yes. That doesn't mean you can't apply to the program...it just means you're not guaranteed an interview. So if you really ace the post-bacc (which means your BCPM should be in great shape), you're likely to get an interview anyway. *shrug*

If this is an issue of importance to you, though, I urge you to look into it yourself instead of taking the word of a random stranger on the internet. The program site is here - http://learn.uvm.edu/premed/index.php. All the linkage details and contact info for Polly Allen is there.

Hey folks...I applied for the summer program at UVM as well - should I take no word by now as an ominous sign of rejection?

I wouldn't assume anything at this point. I was told decisions would be sent in mid-April, so it's possible the process is still underway? It wouldn't hurt to drop Polly Allen or Weston Shepherd a note to find out where things stand. Good luck!

Can anyone comment specifically on the difficulty of the courses at UVM in comparison to other school? How might it compare to a top 20 school? Is UVM known for tough premed courses like some of the other programs that have postbaccs (upenn, johns hopkins etc)? If not will good grades from UVM be looked at in the same light by adcoms?

Thanks

Just sent in my enrollment confirmation... anyone else in the cohort starting this summer??

Last edited:
I sent mine in yesterday. See you in Burlington!

I did as well! I am also waiting to hear back from a few other schools.