Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No love for the Lebanaon campus from ShyRem I guess. Lebanon Campus Specific Discussion! For the 2011 - 2012 application year! Go!

For any general questions check out the 2010 - 2011 application year. Keep in mind that this was the last application year (and Western-NW campus first) so things may vary slightly. Espcially who interviews you as the school will have a full time faculty.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=687038 (2010 -2011 application year thread)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am excited that there will finally be a DO school in Oregon! I'm ready to get this application cycle going.

Anybody from the first class have anything to say about the application/ interview process with this school?

I am excited that there will finally be a DO school in Oregon! I'm ready to get this application cycle going.

Anybody from the first class have anything to say about the application/ interview process with this school?

So far the whole process has been really smooth and exciting! Everyone I have dealt with at this school has been really friendly and helpful. I expected there to be some bugs with any new school, but since everything financial aid and health insurance related is being handled by the Pomona registrar office, they already know what they are doing. And they are good at it. The new office in Lebanon is pretty awesome too, I got a tour of the school a few weeks ago and it's just gorgeous. I can't wait to start! Feel free to ask any questions you have about any portion of the process and I'll do my best to answer. If you are from Oregon I would recommend you join OPSO.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far the whole process has been really smooth and exciting! Everyone I have dealt with at this school has been really friendly and helpful. I expected there to be some bugs with any new school, but since everything financial aid and health insurance related is being handled by the Pomona registrar office, they already know what they are doing. And they are good at it. The new office in Lebanon is pretty awesome too, I got a tour of the school a few weeks ago and it's just gorgeous. I can't wait to start! Feel free to ask any questions you have about any portion of the process and I'll do my best to answer. If you are from Oregon I would recommend you join OPSO.

I totally agree! I'm also here for questions any time. I'm from out of state and have really felt welcomed by everyone at the school so far. Can't wait to move to Oregon and get started!

Glad to hear things are going smoothly. I am IS but a little wary about the fact that the admin told me they only teach 4 weeks of OMM. Has anybody heard anything to confirm/refute this? I am really interested in the OMM aspect of the training and would be disappointed if that wasn't very important to one of the top schools on my list.

On a completely different topic, June 1 is just around the corner and I cannot wait to start applying!

Glad to hear things are going smoothly. I am IS but a little wary about the fact that the admin told me they only teach 4 weeks of OMM. Has anybody heard anything to confirm/refute this? I am really interested in the OMM aspect of the training and would be disappointed if that wasn't very important to one of the top schools on my list.

On a completely different topic, June 1 is just around the corner and I cannot wait to start applying!

Only 4 weeks?! That seems really odd for an osteopathic medical school. The school I will be attending has Osteopathic Principles & Practices throughout the whole first year...I would think most programs would be structured similarly

Only 4 weeks?! That seems really odd for an osteopathic medical school. The school I will be attending has Osteopathic Principles & Practices throughout the whole first year...I would think most programs would be structured similarly

Western's program is structured the same way for OPP. I don't have my handouts with me but I think I remember OPP being there all the time.

Western's program is structured the same way for OPP. I don't have my handouts with me but I think I remember OPP being there all the time.

Ok, to the original poster of this question, I'm sure that you all must have more than 4 weeks of OMM, since OPP is usually a combination of lecture and lab each week!

Sorry 'bout that. In my (somewhat pitiful) defense, I've been doing 80 hours a week in residency and made all the class threads post-call.

*Thought* I got all the threads...

Please accept my very humble (and slightly tired) apologies. :oops:

Sorry 'bout that. In my (somewhat pitiful) defense, I've been doing 80 hours a week in residency and made all the class threads post-call.

*Thought* I got all the threads...

Please accept my very humble (and slightly tired) apologies. :oops:

Nope, sorry, there is no excuse for you...

Kidding... It's ok, I always wanted to start a school specific discussion thread. Thanks for all the work you put in around here with that schedule though. :)

OMM will be taught the normal length what you probably heard about was a 4 week intensive course this summer to teach 20 students OMM so they can be TAs for the first year since their are no 2nd years to be TAs.

Punkfan- where are you at IS?

If you are in the Portland area, there are some opportunities to shadow DOs that you should take advantage. I just finished one day shadowing a DO that does nothing but OMM for sports injuries, car-crash related injuries, and on-the-job related injuries. It was facinating watching OMM in practice. Also, I spent more than an hour just talking to the DO and was given many valuable tips and hints for application to COMP-NW, or any other DO school. The best part is that after spending 7 hours with him, he agreed that I can come back and shadow him some more.

I also agree with reezer about OPSO. In May there was a meeting that was discussing and reading personal statements. The June meeting is going to be about interviews, and there will be a few victims that volunteer to be mock-interviewed by a panel of real ad-coms. It sounds exciting...

Good luck to all that are applying to the Lebanon campus this year.

dsoz

dsoz- That doc you shadowed sounds amazing! It's very cool to shadow a doc who actually uses OMM. I had so much fun shadowing a DO couple in Portland. They were the most politically incorrect and hilarious, but caring and awesome doctors. They let people shadow them all the time if anyone is interested. And they do TONS of OMM. He does the rough and quick style and she does the slow finessing. They even did it on me, twas amazing! Made me want to go to DO school- Western in particular!

Members don't see this ad :)
Punkfan- where are you at IS?

If you are in the Portland area, there are some opportunities to shadow DOs that you should take advantage. I just finished one day shadowing a DO that does nothing but OMM for sports injuries, car-crash related injuries, and on-the-job related injuries. It was facinating watching OMM in practice. Also, I spent more than an hour just talking to the DO and was given many valuable tips and hints for application to COMP-NW, or any other DO school. The best part is that after spending 7 hours with him, he agreed that I can come back and shadow him some more.

I also agree with reezer about OPSO. In May there was a meeting that was discussing and reading personal statements. The June meeting is going to be about interviews, and there will be a few victims that volunteer to be mock-interviewed by a panel of real ad-coms. It sounds exciting...

Good luck to all that are applying to the Lebanon campus this year.

dsoz

I'm in Portland now and have shadowed a couple DOs, unfortunately neither take advantage of their OMM training. My interest in it mostly stems from conversations I've had with additional DOs. I wish I could shadow those who do use it, but it seems most only work M-F, which conflicts with my job. If you have any recommendations of DOs to talk to that might have hours outside of the M-F scope please let me know because your experiences sound amazing!

I'll have to check out OPSO, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm in Portland now and have shadowed a couple DOs, unfortunately neither take advantage of their OMM training. My interest in it mostly stems from conversations I've had with additional DOs. I wish I could shadow those who do use it, but it seems most only work M-F, which conflicts with my job. If you have any recommendations of DOs to talk to that might have hours outside of the M-F scope please let me know because your experiences sound amazing!

I'll have to check out OPSO, thanks for the recommendation.

I had to take a day off work to go shadow a doctor the first time. Luckily my job has built in "personal days" each year so I didn't have to call in "sick." But in order to shadow a DO that actually uses OMM, and has connections to COMP-NW, it may be worth it to call in sick for a day.

OPSo_Org is the website. They ask that you "register" for the event. They have not set up the info for the next meeting on the website, and the date that they do have on the website is wrong because they had to reschedule. The meeting will be on June 16 from 6:30-9:00 pm. Dinner & refreshments provided. At the last meeting it was pizza (from some upscale pizza place, not cheap-o like Domino's or Pizza Hut) and salad with sodas and bottled water. They meet down by John's Landing (sort of near where the OHSU tram hits at the bottom) on Macadam in SW Portland.

As for shadowing DOs. I tried cold calling some, but never really got a response. At the last OPSO meeting, there were at least 3 DOs. I was talking to a pre-med that is accepted for COMP-NW this fall, and he said that all of the DOs at the meeting practice OMM in the office, and that one of them has a practice where OMM is all he does. So I went up to that one introduced myself, and asked if I could come shadow him for a day. He agreed to a half day... It turned into a full day and another day on the schedule to come back and observe some more. :)

If you want something bad enough, you do what it takes to do it. Even walking up to a complete stranger and ask to come watch them work.

dsoz

Anybody hear anything from this school yet?

Punk- when did you submit to AACOMAS? They said that their processing time is 3-6 weeks depending on the volume of applicants. If it has been at least that long, then it would not hurt to call Lebanon to see what is up.

BTW, I just submitted to AACOMAS tonight. :xf:

Now it is waiting for those darn secondary questions...

dsoz

Anybody hear anything from this school yet?

Last year secondaries weren't sent out until august. It's once they start being sent out that you should call if you haven't heard back from them. I would just wait until they are sent out.

Punk- when did you submit to AACOMAS? They said that their processing time is 3-6 weeks depending on the volume of applicants. If it has been at least that long, then it would not hurt to call Lebanon to see what is up.

BTW, I just submitted to AACOMAS tonight. :xf:

Now it is waiting for those darn secondary questions...

dsoz

I submitted to AACOMAS 6/1 and they released my app to schools 6/23. I am hoping to hear soon, but the 3-6 week time frame is a good starting point. I'll try not to worry too much at this point, then.

Congrats on submitting to AACOMAS, I wish you the best of luck!

Same as the Western-Pomona ones, but substitute the appropriate location. Length: "Please keep your comments to under a page."

1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your
desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
2. What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high level of expectation?
3. Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically
underserved or economically disadvantaged community.
4. Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in
the Pacific Northwest appeals to you.

Man I really don't like it when there is no character limit in the text boxes.

So the answers to all 4 questions together shouldn't exceed a page? Or the answer to each question shouldn't exceed a page?

Man I really don't like it when there is no character limit in the text boxes.

So the answers to all 4 questions together shouldn't exceed a page? Or the answer to each question shouldn't exceed a page?

Each one can be up to a page. Nothing is mentioned about spacing as far as I saw.

Is anyone else having issues submitting? When I try to submit it gives me an error and says it couldn't upload my information, and that the payment was refunded. Any thoughts? I already sent Western an email, for the record, I'm using a Mac, don't know why it would matter, but....

I used a Mac and I didn't have a problem.

yeah, not sure what is going on, but it has happened four times. I've completed every section, and its finished, but it won't let me pay/submit... gggrrrrr

yeah, not sure what is going on, but it has happened four times. I've completed every section, and its finished, but it won't let me pay/submit... gggrrrrr

I also tried submitting my payment twice and both times it said my card was declined but when I checked my transactions, it shows that Western actually charged me twice...but it still says my application was not submitted. I sent an email to the school so I hope everything gets figured out.

I have the same problem. Could you guys update on the issue when it's resolved? Thanks so much.

So for all of you people who have gotten secondaries, when was you application verified and released?

I have the same question as someone above - Has anyone's app been uploaded on their system. I emailed EDS this morning because I submitted 10 days ago and nothing really changed when I log into the portal.

Just wondering--considering that all but one of the questions are exactly the same, would it be frowned upon to submit the same responses for the questions that are identical if you've applied to both campuses?

My application is still not complete =\ I don't even know what's missing. It says they got all my items, but on the status section, it says incomplete...

My application is still not complete =\ I don't even know what's missing. It says they got all my items, but on the status section, it says incomplete...

I have the same question as someone above - Has anyone's app been uploaded on their system. I emailed EDS this morning because I submitted 10 days ago and nothing really changed when I log into the portal.

It seems that you all are having similar issues. I would give it a few days, orientation just finished here in Lebanon and is currently going on in Pomona. This monday marks the start of the school year for us and is when the admissions office will most likely have more time to devote to getting things straightened out. So just wait a few.

Just wondering--considering that all but one of the questions are exactly the same, would it be frowned upon to submit the same responses for the questions that are identical if you've applied to both campuses?

I I changed my answers to two of the questions I believe (one being the region specific one), but I have talked to others who kept them the same (minus the campus specific question). I really wanted to get into the Lebanon campus, over the Pomona campus, so I think I had better writing there. Note that you will only receive one interview between the two campuses because we are "one" class. I would look at each question on it's own, answer it to the best of my ability, and if you think that your heart is in the answer to that question put the same down for both.

As far as school is concerned I will try to remain around to answer any questions, about this specific campus etc as the school year progresses. If I cannot be the source of the information, I will be the resource (i.e. I will point you in the right direction). Good luck in this application cycle!

They told me today that they were having some computer troubles, and they are hoping everything will be fixed this week:)

I received an email today stating:
"Please be advised that we are currently having technical difficulties with our supplemental applications. We are hoping to have the problem fixed by the end of this week, at which time we can hopefully give you a more accurate assessment on the status of your application. We thank you for your continued patience as we work on correcting the issue."

So, unless you have an interview on Sept 10th (and if you do congrats), I don't know that they've resolved this most of us anyway have been hung up by it...

My status was fixed on the portal yesterday, so things must be moving along.

Hang on guys, word is the first interview date is September 10!

Talked to Jess today about interviews.. I will be a student ambassador so I will come talk to you during your interview lunches!

1) BREATHE.
I know it's different since I am here on the other side of things, but really- it's going to be okay. The staff is awesome, the faculty is awesome, everyone is out to help each other. Don't be nervous for your interview, just be yourself! I was bluntly honest in my interview and they still let me in.

2) This school is all about humanism and teamwork. If that isn't your thing, please don't come here. You will be miserable. The emphasis is on the patient, in every single course, in everything they teach. We are also so far a group of people out to help each other succeed. I love it and am so glad I came here!

If you are close by, come check us out! the building is gorgeous, the faculty and staff will welcome you with open arms and smiles and everyone will be happy to answer any questions. It really does feel like a big, new family.

Oh and the question of OPP- we have OPP every week for the first two years plus an OMM fellowship program if that's your thing. And be nice to Jess, she is working very hard to get all of the applications sorted through :)

Got the confirmation on my application. Submitted the secondary on 7/29.

Looks like they fixed their system.

The NW campus is my first choice, however I want to apply to both campuses just in case. My app will pretty much be the same except when they ask why I want to attend that specific campus. After pouring out my heart on why I want to go to Oregon..how am I supposed to explain why I want to go to California? Do they see both answers?

The NW campus is my first choice, however I want to apply to both campuses just in case. My app will pretty much be the same except when they ask why I want to attend that specific campus. After pouring out my heart on why I want to go to Oregon..how am I supposed to explain why I want to go to California? Do they see both answers?

I'd guess it's two separate admissions committees so they wont see both answers.

It's one class. Meaning you will not get an interview at both places. My advice would be to apply to the NW campus since this is where you want to go, if you really do pour your heart out, your essay will be 10x better then a snow job you write for Pomona.

Just to add my 2-cents to those who applied to both the Pomona campus and Lebanon campus. My impression/experiences so far is that for most lecture based courses, the Pomona and Lebanon students learn from the same professor courtesy of real-time video streaming. Thanks to the miracles of technology, we are able to ask the professor questions, even though we are thousands of miles away. They are aiming to eventually have half of the classes be taught live from Pomona (where Lebanon students watch it streamed live) and vice versa. However, courses like clinical medicine, gross anatomy lab and OMT are taught independently on each respective campus, with each location manned by their own staff of excellent professors.

SO when applying to either campuses, the real differences will come down to environment, cost of living, entertainment, class size and demographics, and the location of core rotations during your 3rd year. Pomona, of course, will have the bulk of their rotation sites situated down in Socal and Lebanon in the Northwest. Everything else is pretty much the same, even the tuition. Because I'm biased, the building in Lebanon is pretty awesome. It's new and looks simply amazing. Check it out if you can. Walking around a campus (regardless of where you may apply) makes a world of difference when you get to interact with the faculty and feel their energy.

Are most people applying to both the Oregon and CA campuses? I'm thinking I want to apply to both, however, I wasn't aware until recently that you can only interview at one of the campuses.

Are most people applying to both the Oregon and CA campuses? I'm thinking I want to apply to both, however, I wasn't aware until recently that you can only interview at one of the campuses.

I am only applying to Oregon. I try and avoid California at all costs so I definitely don't want to live there for four years.

Yeah, this....

ya... southern california isn't my cup of tea either. Plus- lower cost of living, the best on site faculty and staff, an absolutely gorgeous brand new state of the art facility, and the coolest OMS 1 students anywhere ;)

ya... southern california isn't my cup of tea either. Plus- lower cost of living, the best on site faculty and staff, an absolutely gorgeous brand new state of the art facility, and the coolest OMS 1 students anywhere ;)

I didn't apply to ANY Cali schools. I loathe commi-fornia, and have no desire to deal with the crime, cost, and people (yes, I know there are nice people in CA, but there are far more jackasses)... The only other places I avoided were NYC/NJ areas...