2011 Hottest Reading Comprehension DAT Study Material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Philippines03j

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As requested I am posting a poll for each individual section. If i missed anything for the reading section please list it in the comments section.

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

Internet: Google Scholar and Wiley Interscience website for dentistry. Both give plenty of articles to practice quickly reading and understanding scientific articles. I would just read 2 or 3 scientific articles a day for the majority of my semester before taking the DAT. By the time it came around, I was used to reading boring stuff.

So, up to now DAT Achiever is winning by 6 votes.
CDR has 5...but from what I've seen in SDN, people say that CDR's stuff is more like MCAT's RC section
I'm confused here. I really need to improve my RC......:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
So, up to now DAT Achiever is winning by 6 votes.
CDR has 5...but from what I've seen in SDN, people say that CDR's stuff is more like MCAT's RC section
I'm confused here. I really need to improve my RC......:scared:

The reading section is about finding a strategy and sticking with it. You will need to practice this strategy several times if you are struggling with this section. This is where the CDR comes in. They may not be the most accurate (as far as difficulty level, lots of tone questions) but at least they give you an opportunity to practice your strategies. I used a few of them for practicing and once I found the strategy I liked I then tried them out on Top score and achiever when I was taking my practice tests.

I read the 1st 5 questions and started reading. Read until I could answer all 5. I then read the next 5 questions and answered the questions I had already read the information to and then started reading where I left off. By the time I answered the first 10 questions I usually would make it to the end of the passage and the last 4-5 questions were pretty easy. This doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me.

Hope that gives a small explanation.

The reading section is about finding a strategy and sticking with it. You will need to practice this strategy several times if you are struggling with this section. This is where the CDR comes in. They may not be the most accurate (as far as difficulty level, lots of tone questions) but at least they give you an opportunity to practice your strategies. I used a few of them for practicing and once I found the strategy I liked I then tried them out on Top score and achiever when I was taking my practice tests.

I read the 1st 5 questions and started reading. Read until I could answer all 5. I then read the next 5 questions and answered the questions I had already read the information to and then started reading where I left off. By the time I answered the first 10 questions I usually would make it to the end of the passage and the last 4-5 questions were pretty easy. This doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me.

Hope that gives a small explanation.

Thanks for the comment. So, I have ExamKrackers 101 Passages for MCAT verbal reasoning book. Do you recommend to stick to that or get the CDR?

Oh and btw, now that you have used CDR, approximately how many questions are tone questions? because ExamKrackers 101 Passages are about 80-90% tone questions. From what I've heard, you will get minimal tone questions on the real DAT. So...idk

Last edited:
Internet: Google Scholar and Wiley Interscience website for dentistry. Both give plenty of articles to practice quickly reading and understanding scientific articles. I would just read 2 or 3 scientific articles a day for the majority of my semester before taking the DAT. By the time it came around, I was used to reading boring stuff.

I can't seem to find this when I google searched it. Would you mind hooking it up? Thanks man!

Thanks for the comment. So, I have ExamKrackers 101 Passages for MCAT verbal reasoning book. Do you recommend to stick to that or get the CDR?

Oh and btw, now that you have used CDR, approximately how many questions are tone questions? because ExamKrackers 101 Passages are about 80-90% tone questions. From what I've heard, you will get minimal tone questions on the real DAT. So...idk

I did not use examkrackers so it is hard to say whether you should still get the CDR. If you feel like you need more practice maybe go ahead and get it. You will probably be fine as long as you have taken practice tests like Top Score or Achiever and scored well on the reading comprehension section.

My real DAT seemed to have a only about 4 tone questions per passage which = about 12 total. So it is good to practice them. I can't remember how many tone questions CDR had but I don't think it was 80-90% but there were still quite a few. (sorry for being so vague)

I did not use examkrackers so it is hard to say whether you should still get the CDR. If you feel like you need more practice maybe go ahead and get it. You will probably be fine as long as you have taken practice tests like Top Score or Achiever and scored well on the reading comprehension section.

My real DAT seemed to have a only about 4 tone questions per passage which = about 12 total. So it is good to practice them. I can't remember how many tone questions CDR had but I don't think it was 80-90% but there were still quite a few. (sorry for being so vague)
vague? what are you talking about dude? You have helped alot!

I was wondering if anyone knows roughly what percentage of Crack DAT Reading are "Tone" questions.............

Anyone?

A lot...most. So much so that my strategy had to be slightly changed between taking topscore practice tests vs. CDR practice tests. I would say about 70% tone. So, I got frustrated w/not being able to stick with a consistent strategy and only did 3/5 of the CDR tests because I thought they were messing me up (because everyone said topscore was more similar to the real thing). Wouldn't you know my DAT version was FULL of tone questions and more like CDR than topscore...

Oh wow. This is almost the opposite of what I've been finding out in SDN. Most people say that the RC section is mostly non-tone questions. Well, I'm sorry to hear that buddy (both for you, and myself :D)