Skype Sessions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sc4s2cg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------
The Skype Sessions is not active at the moment
(5/16/2012). I will not have time this summer to organize the minigroups and other sessions, but if you are interested in restarting the group, let me know and I can help you get started. Be prepared to give 1-2 hours/day to help people get oriented, organize the groups, and to get people involved.
----------------------------------------------

The Structure of the January Groups:

Or, the windows you will see if you join the Skype Group.

• January Troopers - our main group
    General area for chit-chat and for study questions and answers, only January MCATers see this group
  • MCAT Study Group Updates - bulletin board
    Used by me to announce updates and the general status of the group. Also used by others to announce various ongoing sessions ("We are going over EK 101 Test 5 in five minutes"), and to reply to updates
  • Relaxation Station - chit-chat area
    Used by everyone, both January and Summer members, for general chit-chat. Anything non-MCAT related
  • MCAT Study Group 3 - study area
    Unused so far. Most likely to be used for the minigroup sessions, although we will see how everything develops.
=======================
Original post
=======================
So we were discussing in this thread of maybe starting a Skype chat session once a week, where we can discuss whatever questions or difficulties we had with passages, concepts, etc. No webcam required, in fact I was thinking of just text-chat sessions although video camera sessions can be set up as well if needed. For multiple videos in one session, someone will have to have a Skype+ account (I do not).

For the sake of organization here's a new thread.

Could whoever was interested list preferred days/times (with time zone)? I'll try to set up a weekly schedule.

May 28, this Saturday, at 1pm (EST)

Edit: clarified some stuff above.

Edit2: my skype is sc4s2cg. Feel free to add me, or PM me your skype and Ill add you. Either way is fine.
Edit4: Added info to top
Edit5: There is no official meeting. Just drop in and start askin'. Chat is open 24/7. (Deleted Edit3 about weekly meeting)
=======================
Original post
=======================

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So we were discussing in this thread of maybe starting a Skype chat session once a week, where we can discuss whatever questions or difficulties we had with passages, concepts, etc.

For the sake of organization here's a new thread.

Could whoever was interested list preferred days/times (with time zone)? I'll try to set up a weekly schedule.

Saturday, 1pm (EST)

Assuming you are talking about this Sat May 28th @1pm (est), OK with me!

Sounds fine, but I think we should have them more than once a week I think, preferably twice if anyone can. But yeah, that time is fine with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds great guys. mine is SOFR310. I'm always on skype.
I think twice a week is better.

I do have a physics question that I need to bounce ideas w/ someone... so you if your physics is strong, please send me a message. Question is #430 of EK1001 Physics.

sounds great guys. mine is SOFR310. I'm always on skype.
I think twice a week is better.

I do have a physics question that I need to bounce ideas w/ someone... so you if your physics is strong, please send me a message. Question is #430 of EK1001 Physics.

Last edited:
cool! I wanna join. There are few concepts I would like to polish up on. Mostly in the gen chem portion. Hopefully, I'll have it all set by then. Oh, I guess I need a skype username.

^ No prob. Just PM or post your username here and I'll add you when I get back online.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, add "hemiketal" sorry i know its a nerdy name... its what im studying now

Is this a free event? And what is the next date you are meeting? Do you normally discuss specific questions or concepts?

Don't know much about this...

It is free. All you need is skype and a username.

The MCAT Study Group chat is online 24/7. If you ask a question, usually someone is there to help figure out the answer. We got some regulars and some who pop in once in a while. I think a weekly Saturday 1pm EST meeting would be beneficial, am going to discuss this with people in the chat tonight (usually more people are on in the afternoon and night EST).

We discuss whatever needs to be discussed. Some people ask passage questions, some people ask concepts. Sometimes we discuss a concept (I think it was blood clotting) for a good hour or so, but it depends how long it takes for everyone to understand. At this moment, I'm doing verbal passages with two other people to try and get us to have more correct answers in less time.

It is free. All you need is skype and a username.

The MCAT Study Group chat is online 24/7. If you ask a question, usually someone is there to help figure out the answer. We got some regulars and some who pop in once in a while. I think a weekly Saturday 1pm EST meeting would be beneficial, am going to discuss this with people in the chat tonight (usually more people are on in the afternoon and night EST).

We discuss whatever needs to be discussed. Some people ask passage questions, some people ask concepts. Sometimes we discuss a concept (I think it was blood clotting) for a good hour or so, but it depends how long it takes for everyone to understand. At this moment, I'm doing verbal passages with two other people to try and get us to have more correct answers in less time.

Can you add me, Justhanging14, skype is being ******ed and is having problems adding contacts even though everything else works fine.

Update: Some of us are meeting tomorrow (Saturday, June 4) between 9am and 12pm, depending on when everyone gets online, for Verbal practice. Anyone feel free to join.

We are using EK Verbal 101, whether new or old does not matter. Same passages and questions, but the questions are out of order.

Last edited:
me! username: Ldopamine

are we just going over passages or doing the passage together tomorrow?

What part of EK 101 are you guys at? I just started and was planning on doing 3ish a day. How many do you go over in the three hour period?

add me: VaughnLower

@Im Learning: That's probably something good to know, huh? Updating OP.

We just finished Passage IV of Test 5 so we're doing passages V-VII tomorrow morning. It took us about 1.5 hours to go over four passages today.

Some people were saying we should do an entire test next time, so Sunday we're planning to do all of Test 6. The time is not definite yet, but it looks to be around 4pm EST for Sunday.

Added you guys.

@banner18: We are doing the passages separately, some people have it done by 9am some people do it at 9am, then once everyone is done we summarize the passage and discuss the questions. Most of us use microphone to speed things up, but those who don't have one can still hear us and can contribute via text.

Last edited:
I just added you (sc4s2cg). I already took MCAT, so I may just sit there and see what you guys are doing. I'll also be glad to answer questions about real thing!

I find the verbal sessions very helpful. More people should join, or just listen in if they prefer not to participate.

Added everyone who requested. Also, some info the verbal session:

================================
Update for new people:

*** Meeting: June 4, Sunday 4pm EST ***

We are using EK Verbal 101
Start Test 6 alone at 3pm EST
We will review Test 6, passages I through VII Sunday at 4pm EST, together.

How it works:
- Everyone reads the passage and completes the questions alone. Time yourself to see how long it takes, but don't limit yourself
- Let us know in chat when you are done
- After everyone is done, everyone will give a quick 1-3 sentence summary of the passage
- Because of the size of the group, we will more than likely divide into groups of 3
- We discuss the answers, why they were right, why they were wrong. And hopefully give suggestions on how else you could improve. If the small group needs input, post in the main MCAT Verbal Group chat
- If you have any suggestions to improve the format, etc. let us know!

What is people's general feedback about the group so far?

Also, will you all be going over some topics in the sciences?

Thanks in advance and I am so pumped!

It's awesome! there is constant chatter all day long, covering multiple topics. You have a question? You ask it!

We also set up certain times to discuss certain topics. For example, tomorrow at 4pm est, we are discussing multiple verbal passages.

The more, the merrier

What is people's general feedback about the group so far?

Also, will you all be going over some topics in the sciences?

Thanks in advance and I am so pumped!

I think it's very helpful. Occasionally if I'm stuck on something or don't understand something particularly well, someone is usually online to help answer it. It's a great way to find help quick, plus the moral support is great. Met a lot of great people... all very friendly. They also do daily verbal review sessions as well and occasional recaps on the science topics. You should check it out and see what you think. Even if you don't have a microphone, you could just tune-in. You'll always learn something new. And if for some reason you don't like it, you could always opt out :p

Hi, I just wanted to know what is the study session schedule. I was a little confused...is it all day during the week and just 9-12pm on Sat and then 4-7pm on Sun? What subject are you working on what day(s)? I added you to my skype account to participate. Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: This is inaccurate. Please see OP for up-to-date info on subgroups and groups
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

We have 3 groups:
- MCAT Study Group: this is online 24/7.
- Verbal Substudy Group: this is online all week 9am-12pm EST, except Sunday when it is online 4-7pm.
- Talkactive Group: this is online on an as-needed basis. The purpose of this group is to talk, with voice instead of text, to speed up sessions that turned into Q/A!

We do not have a specific structure (except for the Verbal Subgroup. See OP for details). People are using the MCAT Study Group as a Q/A session.

Last edited:
why not use ventrilo or teamspeak that way you don't have to deal with skype calling and setting conferences and what not. no one needs to exchange skype IDs, you just log onto a server and everyone just chats.

I don't know about these programs, but if they are better than Skype then we can attempt to move there. Currently we have 30 people, so they would all have to move over. But if the softwares have significant advantages I think it would be worth it.

Only the Talkactive and Verbal groups call. The main MCAT Study Group is through text. :)

Conferences are only set for Verbal subgroup, since we need everyone online at the same time to review passages via voice. Skype keeps everyone in whatever group they're in, even if they log off. Only way to get out of the group is by right clicking it and clicking "Leave Group".

The softwares you mentioned...can you do subgroups? Currently we're just using separate windows. Do they allow for voice?

Edit: I installed both...I think someone has to be connected to the net 24/7. Is that true? Skype works so far because it can be online 24/7 without anyone else having to be. It is hosted on their servers.

Last edited:
Hey guys!
Just wondering if anyone has joined the group MCAT Study Group with Skype for macs (the newest version). I can't seem to find the tabs or a way to join the conversation/see it...
Thanks!!!!!

could you please add me. I am a retaker struggling with verbal and would really like to go over verbal passages with you guys. I really could use the help. Also, I know how to set my status to do not disturb, but is there anything else i need to do?

my skype: plzNOcarribbean

^Hi,

So I know we talked over Skype, but this is just a general FYI for future people:

Once you add me, and I accepted you, I will send you 4 general tips for Skype. (Do not disturb, add groups to contacts, test date, subgroups). We will discuss these in chat, as well as any other questions you may have. :)