Columbia Waitlist News?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kafka79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything from Columbia in the last few weeks? Anyone talked to Dr. Frantz? I thought that Columbia is a school that takes a lot of students of the waitlist, but there been no discussion about it lately.

Members don't see this ad.

i spoke with frantz 2 weeks ago and he said that not as many people have withdrawn as he expected, due to penn, duke, harvard, and yale all giving decisions late this year, but he assured me that he expected significant movement come may 15, and that there has been absolutely no movement yet. sigh.

so does this mean that everything will be back on track after may 15 since we are all limited to one school then or will the entire summer be back logged? I guess its just speculation right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
i just called Dr. Frantz and OH MY FRICKIN' GOD!!! both my girlfriend (a fellow SDNer, meals) and i were accepted off the waitlist. he said our letters would be mailed out this afternoon. nyc, here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D

WOW! CONGRATS!!!

did he call you or did you call him?
did he ask you to call him?
did you get that handwritten "very optimistic" note on your letter?

we called this morning just to follow up on a few letters we had sent in. we were all prepared to be told the sad truth that we wouldn't know anything until after may 15th. we were also ready to fly ourselves out there for another interview. but we don't need to now!! i can't believe this!!

i had gotten a hand written note from dr. frantz and several other promising letters from him. but drewskovitch only got the form letters -- nothing really personalized.

did he know you guys were going out?

we wrote him a joint letter last week explaining our situation (dating for 3 1/2 years), and saying that columbia was our first choice and that we'd definitely go if both of us got in.

i can't believe it.... :clap:

Congrat drewskovitch! I'm very happy for you. This should be a good sign for all Columbia waitlistees. Finally, we've got some movement.

That is AMAZING! You must feel on top of the world!!!

i called up frantz to see what was up today. he said that there was very very little movement, and he said that he expected very very little movement this year. he said that as of now, only 2 people got in off the waitlist so far and he didn't expect any more soon (guess which two!!!). he then said that if i "were" to be offered admission at all, it would be very late in the process. ****. im so sick of this.

sorry guys. feel free to call, i hope that you fare better than i did.

Ok, I have been giving Columbia my love since last November, and have told them time and again that they were my number one. Given the recent revelations that not many people will probably get off the waitlist, I feel that my telling columbia that they are my first choice is holding me back from getting into other schools off their waitlists.

I called and talked to frantz last week, and he said that they would keep me in mind, but that he didn't expect any waitlist movement for a few weeks. Is it fair to call and ask whether I actually have a shot? Because if I have no chance of getting in, I would like to be able to tell another school that they are my first choice. I love columbia and all, but i feel tossed around by them enough. Has anyone else been successful in determining their chances on getting into columbia? and how would you go about phrasing that to not sound demanding and obnoxious?

Oh, and congrats to you two for getting in off the waitlist -- best of luck and i hope that you are very happy together!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ValleyGal:
•Ok, I have been giving Columbia my love since last November, and have told them time and again that they were my number one. Given the recent revelations that not many people will probably get off the waitlist, I feel that my telling columbia that they are my first choice is holding me back from getting into other schools off their waitlists.

I called and talked to frantz last week, and he said that they would keep me in mind, but that he didn't expect any waitlist movement for a few weeks. Is it fair to call and ask whether I actually have a shot? Because if I have no chance of getting in, I would like to be able to tell another school that they are my first choice. I love columbia and all, but i feel tossed around by them enough. Has anyone else been successful in determining their chances on getting into columbia? and how would you go about phrasing that to not sound demanding and obnoxious?

Oh, and congrats to you two for getting in off the waitlist -- best of luck and i hope that you are very happy together!•••••i agree...i feel as if we've all been whoring ourselves to columbia long enough. :p i'm debating telling another school they're my first choice as well. maybe i will call dr. frantz. however, there's a chance that he tailors what he says on the phone to whomever he's talking to, which isn't that helpful. he told me a couple weeks ago he expected to take a "significant number" of people off the waitlist. who knows.

<sigh> :)

congrats to you two as well!!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by choker:
•i called up frantz to see what was up today. he said that there was very very little movement, and he said that he expected very very little movement this year. he said that as of now, only 2 people got in off the waitlist so far and he didn't expect any more soon (guess which two!!!). he then said that if i "were" to be offered admission at all, it would be very late in the process. ****. im so sick of this.

sorry guys. feel free to call, i hope that you fare better than i did.•••••That's stange that Dr. Frantz would say that he expects very few people to come off the waitlist. I thought that Columbia only admitted originally as many people as there are spots in the class (around 160). It seems that they'll have to let some people off the waitlist. It's not as if everyone who's admitted will attend. According to the US News stats, Columbia accepted 306 students to fill 150 spots. What's going on? Am I mistaken about the number of acceptances already given out?

I believe Columbia accepts 150% of their class size originally, as I read this somewhere on another thread. But then accepting 300 would be accepting a whole other class and more after that. Hmmmmm, conflicting information.

I am sad that there is supposedly very little waitlist movement this year. I called last week and talked with frantz, but he really didn't give out much. I will call again sometime soon, but maybe some others could call tomorrow and see if he gives the same run around. I just want this to be over!!!!!!

How do you guys get to talk to Dr. Frantz personally? Do you ask to speak to him? Please let me know..thanks!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nap:
•How do you guys get to talk to Dr. Frantz personally? Do you ask to speak to him? Please let me know..thanks!•••••We tell the admissions office we would like to know if our "Donation Check" for 1 million dollars made it to Frantz's desk...after they say they don't know you demand to talk to Frantz right away!

Then when he picks up say "Gotcha! Now can I get in?"

:p :p :p

meals,
i sent you a private message.

In reading all of your post, I felt obliged to respond. Despite what Dr. Franz may have said, I think there should be some decent movement off of the waitlist. I am currently on of the people that you all hate because I am holding an acceptance to Columbia that I probably will not use. I loved Columbia, but they are offering me a terrible financial package. So unless I have a major change of heart in the next few days, I will be declining the offer so hopefully one of you will be able to use it. In visiting other schools recently, I also know of at least 15 people who got into Columbia but will definitely not be going there next year(Penn did a really good job during their revisit weekend). So my advice to everyone waiting is to do just that- wait. I'm doing the same with Yale and I think nothing substantial will happen before May 15th. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for being so reassuring, Diego. thats really nice.
I hope that you are correct!

i just spoke with my dean at columbia (undergrad) who is very very open with frantz on the process, and she said that the problem is that this year, there have been VERY VERY few withdrawals. it seems that everyone is waiting for after the revisit weekend tour to end before deciding. i think there will be significant movement, but after speaking with frantz, i doubt that i will be in that group. fukkit. good luck you guys.

But how did you get to speak to Frantz, Choker and anyone else?

thanks...

call. ask to speak with frantz. very simple. secretary has always been extremely nice to me.

Just call the admissions office and ask to speak with Dr. Frantz. They'll ask if you're on the alternate list and then transfer you over to his line.

And CalBear, I PMed you back.

Thanks meals and choker. I never knew that it could be so simple!

Anyone want to call today? Let us know what frantz tells you about your status!

PS -- momo and hawkeyes i sent you pms

I would think calling Frantz could be annoying? He doesn't mind?

I'm calling him RIGHT now... :)

No, I think that he actually loves it when applicants call -- being in touch and accessible to us. He was really nice and the secretary put me right through. It never hurts to call and ask because you never know what you might find out. Its not annoying when it deals with your life, which understandably most of us are tired of being on hold because of the slowness of others.

I dont know about that. I called and he was pretty rude- couldnt wait to hang up actually. I guess I should just wait for that rejection letter...
Im so sad about how this all turned out. I really didnt like the med school where Im going to end up going to.
Good luck to you all.

I read the conflicting accounts of Frantz on the phone. I think I will just stick to writing really strong letters of interest to him. He does seem very receptive and interested in the applicants, given his personal replies. I am really torn between here and HOpkins. I am on the waitlist at both. I question the atmosphere at P&S, but I think it might be supper competitive at Hopkins.

Hmmmm, maybe I read him wrong when I called or you caught him at a bad time. I just hope that he tells us soon what the deal is, because the waiting thing is really old by now.

BTW -- what school are you going to right now? you can send me a pm if you want to. even if you didn't like the school when you visited, I bet that you will like it more once you get there and find your niche. and get swamped with work, whichever comes first :wink:

Has anyone tried to request a second interview of frantz? Im curious if he is receptive to that.

Bumping this thread up... has anyone heard any new information from Columbia recently?

I just got in from the waitlist!! Hooray. Dr. Frantz called to tell me! :) Good luck to the rest of you guys...

Congrats Herms. Just wondering, what was the extent of your communications with Columbia since being placed on the waitlist? Did you write a letter of any intent? Had you received any personal feedback from Frantz? Thanks a lot and good luck at P&S if that's where you plan to enroll.

hi everyone~

i wanted to wish you all luck with getting in off the waitlist. i got the "call" from dr. frantz today, and i'm really happy, but i definitely still relate to the agony of waiting.

i'm sure you all know all of this already, but make sure you contact dr. frantz personally and emphasize repeatedly that columbia is your first choice. he really remembers the people who write him letters and call him.

good luck everyone....and i hope you all get in!!
-momo :) :)

Congrats you guys!! :clap: :clap: Are you going to Columbia for sure?

bump--any more news from folks?

I wonder if there will be tomorrow. They seem to pull people on mondays.

here we go baby! daddy wants a columbia md...!

all praise to Jesus, Allah, Buddha, Muhammad, God, Moses, Elvis, Ganesh, Iblis, Ra, and Zeus.

pledging my first born to the deity that hooks me up. :wink: :p

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nap:
•I wonder if there will be tomorrow. They seem to pull people on mondays.•••••looks like mondays might indeed be the magic day... i just got the call from Frantz... good luck everyone!

hey heddart, congrats on the columbia acceptance, mind if i ask if you did anything for your waitlist; letters, phone calls, etc?

if frantz ever communicated with you, did he ever allude to your chances?

thanks and congrats!

With all due respect, does anyone else find it rather degrading to cower to one man to beg for an acceptance? I realize that this is what it takes to get in off the Columbia wait-list, but is it really worth it?

I have some friends also groveling, but the way I look at it is that, once you're in, no one knows you got in off the wait list unless you tell them. It is a great school with so much going for it. I think there is a place for pride, but apparently not in the med school admissions process. Once there, I think you'll quickly forget the humiliation you've endured. In a weird and sort of sick way, it's more fun to have this situation where you can try to devise strategies and tactics, than the waitlists for which there is nothing at all that you can do to improve your chances. By the way, I found a story about a guy who apparently had an extensive interview with Frantz AFTER he was placed on the waitlist. Here's an excerpt:

He was accepted to Columbia's medical school off the "wait list" after a meeting with admissions director Andrew Frantz. "We talked for about 45 minutes, and I thought things went really well.

At the end of the conversation, he said, 'I think we can dispense with the formalities,' and stuck out his hand. I was thrilled."

KDMD, It bothers me....a lot..and what if you dont get that second interview? Then what are your chances? If one person isnt interested in your application, or it doesnt catch his eye, than you have no chance. And that sucks.

oh
me loooooooooove you baaaby,
me love you longtime
me do everyting you want
everyting!

-i for one think im getting the hang of whoring myself out.

-5 dollas gets you anyting you want baybay!