Any tips on how to answers the "Why our school?" question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vickpick

TreeHugger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you talk about the location.. and how it will affect your social life? Or just hit their mission with support from EC's? I'm lost in regards to such a question - which pretty much appears on all secondaries.

If somebody can paraphrase what they wrote in the past as an example, that'll be great!! But, just ideas will be very helpful too! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you talk about the location.. and how it will affect your social life? Or just hit their mission with support from EC's? I'm lost in regards to such a question - which pretty much appears on all secondaries.

If somebody can paraphrase what they wrote in the past as an example, that'll be great!! But, just ideas will be very helpful too! Thanks!

I would focus on their mission statement and how you think you fit well into it. Also, referring to how their curriculum is set up is and how it can benefit you is another potential topic. I would steer clear of the location/social life....some adcoms have stated that they hate that answer

My advice is to familiarize yourself with the program and anything that is unique to it, and hit on those issues. If you are writing a secondary essay, use the school's website and do some research. If you are answering the question in an interview, I recommend using information from the schools website (and other reliable resources) and information you receive on interview day.

Whatever you do, don't go for a cookie-cutter answer (my life would be so much better in this town). They can see right through that. Customize your answer for each school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would focus on their mission statement and how you think you fit well into it. Also, referring to how their curriculum is set up is and how it can benefit you is another potential topic. I would steer clear of the location/social life....some adcoms have stated that they hate that answer

I agree. For instance, on the GW secondary I did talk about location, but it was because I'm really motivated to work with under-served and diverse populations in urban areas. GW has a few clinics and programs that facilitate that. I would look at an admissions brochure from each school and see what aspects speak to you. I can be student-run clinics, specific research programs, student body personality, etc. Although, better advice might come from a veteran that has already gone through the process...

Find what the school is proud of or what the mission statement is and then explain how you'll be a good fit. If they're into primary care then hype up the part of your app that relates and how you really want to go into primary care. Loads of bs in these essays

If the best reason you can come up with for attending a particular school is that your social life will be positively impacted, you should probably not even bother applying to that school. Seriously. Ursa gave good advice.

1. Go to school's website
2. Copy/paste mission statement in secondary
3. Copy/paste pre-written response to "why our school" prompt (because all mission statements say more or less the same thing)
4. ???
5. Interview invite!

Reactions: 1 users
3. Copy/paste pre-written response to "why our school" prompt (because all mission statements say more or less the same thing)
4. ???
5. Interview invite!

You should start a consulting business. However I'm unsure of the efficiency of step 4.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, no location stuff then. All mission statements seem to say the same thing! I'll try to research more and see if I could things that I can support and use as reasons.

My advice is to familiarize yourself with the program and anything that is unique to it, and hit on those issues. If you are writing a secondary essay, use the school's website and do some research. If you are answering the question in an interview, I recommend using information from the schools website (and other reliable resources) and information you receive on interview day.

Whatever you do, don't go for a cookie-cutter answer (my life would be so much better in this town). They can see right through that. Customize your answer for each school.
Okay, no cookie-cutter, for sure! On to researching the school, then!

I agree. For instance, on the GW secondary I did talk about location, but it was because I'm really motivated to work with under-served and diverse populations in urban areas. GW has a few clinics and programs that facilitate that. I would look at an admissions brochure from each school and see what aspects speak to you. I can be student-run clinics, specific research programs, student body personality, etc. Although, better advice might come from a veteran that has already gone through the process...
I see, so look at their programs and if you're interested in one, you can say that a chance at entering the program is one of the reasons you're applying. Thanks.

Find what the school is proud of or what the mission statement is and then explain how you'll be a good fit. If they're into primary care then hype up the part of your app that relates and how you really want to go into primary care. Loads of bs in these essays

If the best reason you can come up with for attending a particular school is that your social life will be positively impacted, you should probably not even bother applying to that school. Seriously. Ursa gave good advice.
Trolling at my expense?... I'll allow it. :smuggrin:

didn't we just have this thread yesterday?
I saw one about the two week rule, not about this.

4. ???
5. Interview invite!
lol.

this is completely unrelated to this thread, but that watch in your avatar is badass

Sooo you can't say anything about the fact you went to undergrad at the school and have grown attached? Or is that too sappy...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo you can't say anything about the fact you went to undergrad at the school and have grown attached? Or is that too sappy...

Yeah, the school where I did my UG is one of my top choices...and TBH one of the main reasons I like it is because I'd love to be at that school again. There are definitely other things I like about the school, but would it be a bad idea to mention my connection there?

That has nothing to do with the particular strengths of the medical school. This isn't the kind of thing they're looking for. The "why us" essay is an opportunity to demonstrate that you actually spent 5+ minutes researching the school and know something about it. Talking about "being attached" to the undergrad is a little childish and shows that you didn't spend any time to learn about the school. Why should the school spend any time learning about you?

Yeah, the school where I did my UG is one of my top choices...and TBH one of the main reasons I like it is because I'd love to be at that school again. There are definitely other things I like about the school, but would it be a bad idea to mention my connection there?

Your connection is mentioned on your primary when the reviewer reads what undergrad you went to.

1. Google their site.
2. Find stuff about they're highlighting.
3. Highlight relevant text with your mouse
4. Copy and paste

Try to make your answer connect with your other essays and be in accordance with your personality.

The prehealth advisor at my institution (top 20 school with great premed program) informed me that it is okay to state that you want to attend a school because of its location, proximity to family, you went there for undergrad, yadda yadda because it implies that if accepted, there is a good chance you would be happy enrolling. Having said that, I think this reason needs to be at the bottom of a list that references the school's mission statement, curriculum, and highlights.

Why not your school?
smiley_smug.gif

Is it okay if I didn't re-iterate my experiences extensively? I just wrote about what part of their program interested me that made me want to apply to their school. I wrote why I believe I would fit in with the school and how the school would help me achieve my goals.

I found a post a while ago that contained an Ad-libbed secondary template for this question but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Anybody know if it is legitimate to bring up a school's match list as one of the reasons for why you want to attend it?

Is the location argument valid if the school is your instate school? For example, for instate schools, I want to write that one of the reasons is that it is only a few hours from home and my family needs me from time to time to help them out with things that only I can do. I am adding this among some other stuff about their program.

I guess in a broader question, can the location argument be used to strengthen your answer if it does not stand as the sole reason?

Is the location argument valid if the school is your instate school? For example, for instate schools, I want to write that one of the reasons is that it is only a few hours from home and my family needs me from time to time to help them out with things that only I can do. I am adding this among some other stuff about their program.

I guess in a broader question, can the location argument be used to strengthen your answer if it does not stand as the sole reason?

I would say absolutely yes. Being close to the family can also help you get through medical school (they can act as your support system). If location is the only reason however, I would not feel it is a strong argument (although for some people it really is a make or break criteria)