Calculator Conspiracy Theory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetsGo2DSchool

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading a bunch of postings about how glitchy and f**ked up the calculator performs, my conclusion is that it was intentionally designed to be this way.

Let's admit that these test makers, who btw suck big donkey d*ck, are not getting paid to do us favors. The last thing they want to do is allow an analytically/quantitatively challenged numb nut to breeze thru the QR and achieve a high score without truly earning it.

Let's also admit that this windows based calculator function has existed for decades. It only executes the simplest arithmetic operations. It's not a tough program to write and it didn't take a genius to write this program for the DAT.

Let's admit QR section is a pure test of TIME. Only the quick-thinking, sharp-minded, quantitatively-talented individuals should be able to conquer the enemy of time and prevail.

So how can they ensure that the geniuses remain Einsteins while the nitwits remain Forest Gumps? By adding extra unnecessary time to the equation.

Thus, the calculator is glitchy, goes berserk unexpectedly, freezes up time to time, won't blank out the prior calculations (I never heard of a calculator not doing this), not responsive to the keyboard, etc.

It's also not a coincidence that the extra long time-consuming problems always appear in the front half of the section.

Therefore, the only true way to stick a big fat rod up these jack asses (aka test makers) is to beat them at their own game. Do the opposite of what they have planned for you. F*ck using the calculator. You really don't need it. I haven't used it at all during any of my practice exams and I don't intend to use it on the actual, unless it's the last skipped problem I have remaining and requires mega calculations.

Don't be a tool and get tooled around by the on-screen tool. Period.

Members don't see this ad.

The calculator worked great for me. Sure you have to click each number but that's not so bad. The one problem I did encounter is that I thought CE meant clear everything, but once I messed up a couple calculations I realized it just means clear entry...

Members don't see this ad :)
The calculator worked great for me. Sure you have to click each number but that's not so bad. The one problem I did encounter is that I thought CE meant clear everything, but once I messed up a couple calculations I realized it just means clear entry...

If you have nothing bad to say, I would suggest you say nothing at all.

This is a hate thread. :thumbup:

DAT QR scores have remain relatively the same when people were not allowed a calculator and now. I'm basing this on a quick glance of breakdowns posted on SDN. its a relatively small sample. they haven't released 2010(when calculator started) dat numbers yet so can't say for sure.

I think the culprit behind the slow/laggy/unresponsive calculator isn't the DAT writers themselves. they write questions not programs. its the prometric software or whatever they use to log what you are doing. It maybe at the behest of the ADA for use to analyze odd patterns but during the tutorial session the calculator worked as it would on any windows computer. I mean there's no point to log what you do during the tutorial session.

But anyhow, good approach. Don't depend on the calculator. I can only speak for my version, but some of the answer choices were outlandish you easily could have just estimated what looked like "mega" problems and determined the answer.

lol. stick it where the sun don't shine!

I'm going to try not using a calc on my next practice test.. let's see how that goes:oops:

Everything from DSchool is a hate crime on something. One of my wise friends told me once, "If you got hate, let it out" LOL

After reading a bunch of postings about how glitchy and f**ked up the calculator performs, my conclusion is that it was intentionally designed to be this way.

Let's admit that these test makers, who btw suck big donkey d*ck, are not getting paid to do us favors. The last thing they want to do is allow an analytically/quantitatively challenged numb nut to breeze thru the QR and achieve a high score without truly earning it.

Let's also admit that this windows based calculator function has existed for decades. It only executes the simplest arithmetic operations. It's not a tough program to write and it didn't take a genius to write this program for the DAT.

Let's admit QR section is a pure test of TIME. Only the quick-thinking, sharp-minded, quantitatively-talented individuals should be able to conquer the enemy of time and prevail.

So how can they ensure that the geniuses remain Einsteins while the nitwits remain Forest Gumps? By adding extra unnecessary time to the equation.

Thus, the calculator is glitchy, goes berserk unexpectedly, freezes up time to time, won't blank out the prior calculations (I never heard of a calculator not doing this), not responsive to the keyboard, etc.

It's also not a coincidence that the extra long time-consuming problems always appear in the front half of the section.

Therefore, the only true way to stick a big fat rod up these jack asses (aka test makers) is to beat them at their own game. Do the opposite of what they have planned for you. F*ck using the calculator. You really don't need it. I haven't used it at all during any of my practice exams and I don't intend to use it on the actual, unless it's the last skipped problem I have remaining and requires mega calculations.

Haha, I'm going to hold you to this. Looking forward to the breakdown, especially QR ;).

trap.jpg

This made me LOL. I am still gonna stick to the calculator though if they give me one of those: .000738 x .01189 problems or some crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
That girl has a big chin. Almost as big as her forehead.

Perhaps that an X-linked recessive pleiotrophic allele lol?

Hell yeah!! imagine seeing that version of sesame street with them smoking and doing drugs with Big Bird being the main Don....Our whole childhood would have been different :p:p

About the calc, yeah it does suck ****...They could have atleast given a sq root function...and WTF(W=why) dont they give a calc for gChem?

Hell yeah!! imagine seeing that version of sesame street with them smoking and doing drugs with Big Bird being the main Don....Our whole childhood would have been different :p:p

About the calc, yeah it does suck ****...They could have atleast given a sq root function...and WTF(W=why) dont they give a calc for gChem?

they do have a sqr root fucntion its called Sqrt hahaha

lol ok heard they dint have one....

thats not true open up the windows calculator (simple version) and youll see a sqrt function or better yet if you have achiever; the calculator they have has the sqrt function as well.

Its clumsy ill give you that but it functions just fine. The key is you need to clear it for every new calculation or it goes based off the old one as well... I still scored reasonable on QR and didn't even study but more than 10 hours for it. My main grief with it is that they schedule it at the very end of the exam and only give you 1min per prob when there are some in there that easily take 3min to solve even for the quick minded. The science section turned out to be the least hectic of all of them.