DAT Won and done 7/7/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommyinVA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm finally on the other side. 8 weeks of prep and here are the results:

BIO 21 (92.3%)
GC 22 (91.8%)
ORGO 27 (98.7%)
PAT 25 (99%)
RC 28 (99.7%)
QR 21 (96.4%)
TS 22 (95.6%)
AA 24 (99.6%)

Overall, I'm very happy with my scores: only missed my original target by 1 point in BIO. I thought the exam was a bit (not considerably) easier than what I expected, but then again I had been using the TopScore and Achiever practice exams as my final prep, both of which had components that I feel were considerably harder than the actual DAT.

So my prep has been pretty straightforward: Kaplan online, DatQvault, and Chad's videos. Other than that, i took a lot of practice tests: 5 overall (I think ?) from the Kaplan course, 3 TopScore, 3 DAT Achiever. No CrackDATPAT for me. I used the Kaplan tests more for my timing and pacesetting, and the TopScore and Achiever exams for content. My practice scores hovered in the 18-19 range across all 3 sciences and around 20 for PAT. RC and QR scores were pretty consistent and representative of how I scored today.

My overall viewpoint from today: the subject content in bio, and all 3 sciences for that matter, is SOOOOO arbitrary. There really is no way to fully prepare and absorb all the subject matter that can be tested (unless you've got a good 3 or 4 months to FULLY dedicate to studying...or you have a photographic memory). So my one suggestion as far as subject matter goes would be to stop trying to "learn" the content once you hit your 10-day point, and focus more on "review." Go over the stuff you know to get it down pat, and look at the stuff that you're a little sketchy on to get more solid. If there's anything that you don't recognize by that point, just try and remember keywords and pray that you don't get tested on it.

From a logical/psychological perspective, my one advice is to simply stick with your gameplan. A lot of people say that you should try and completely disconnect the day before...I disagree. I DO believe that you should be light on your review, but if you've been committing hours on end day after day for weeks and months, I think keeping your books closed the day before your test will hurt you more than help. Look at well-trained athletes: they never take rest days, only "light" days to keep the muscles moving. Other than that, sleep well and do whatever you need to do to calm your nerves and get in the zone. Otherwise, just know that by the day before, you've done all you can to prepare and you need to know that you've done all you can. But you need to be honest with yourself in whether or not you've committed enough to preparing. If you have, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your scores.

Members don't see this ad.

How were you achiever RC and PAT score because you did amazing on the real thing. (Amazing all around...congrats!!!)
My RC has been 17 for all 3 exams and 17-18 for PAT, so I'm really nervous :-(.

Members don't see this ad :)
BIO/GC/ORGO/PAT/RC/QR/TS

Achiever:
1: 17/20/23/19/19/22/23
2: 16/16/19/20/18/20/17
3: 16/18/21/--/--/--/18 (only tested for sciences on 3)

TopScore:
1: 19/19/19/22/22/20/19/20AA
2: 19/25/20/23/23/29/21/21AA
3: 18/18/18/22/29/25/18/22AA

also, take my scores with a grain of salt: being a father of 3 kids under 6, my free time for testing was a bit limited. all my practice tests were taken between the hours of 9pm and 1am.

for RC, i didn't really have much of a strategy. i tried the kaplan method of "outlining" and i found that i got so focused on my outline that i lost sight of the actual info of the passage, and i noticed that my outline was never really that helpful. so my method was to just read the passage once with a lof of focus and then answer the questions. i'd simply find the paragraphs of the passage for each question by remembering the flow of the passage. (you'd be surprised at how much of the passage (as far as detail and order) you can remember when you actually actively read it with a clear mind)

BUT I WILL SAY: if you're less than a week out from taking your exam, i'd just stick with whatever method you've been using. if you try and switch now you take the risk of wasting potential practice time on a method that may not work for you. truth be told, RC was the section i worried about the least. maybe i'm just good at critical reading.

So I'm finally on the other side. 8 weeks of prep and here are the results:

BIO 21 (92.3%)
GC 22 (91.8%)
ORGO 27 (98.7%)
PAT 25 (99%)
RC 28 (99.7%)
QR 21 (96.4%)
TS 22 (95.6%)
AA 24 (99.6%)

Overall, I'm very happy with my scores: only missed my original target by 1 point in BIO. I thought the exam was a bit (not considerably) easier than what I expected, but then again I had been using the TopScore and Achiever practice exams as my final prep, both of which had components that I feel were considerably harder than the actual DAT.

So my prep has been pretty straightforward: Kaplan online, DatQvault, and Chad's videos. Other than that, i took a lot of practice tests: 5 overall (I think ?) from the Kaplan course, 3 TopScore, 3 DAT Achiever. No CrackDATPAT for me. I used the Kaplan tests more for my timing and pacesetting, and the TopScore and Achiever exams for content. My practice scores hovered in the 18-19 range across all 3 sciences and around 20 for PAT. RC and QR scores were pretty consistent and representative of how I scored today.

My overall viewpoint from today: the subject content in bio, and all 3 sciences for that matter, is SOOOOO arbitrary. There really is no way to fully prepare and absorb all the subject matter that can be tested (unless you've got a good 3 or 4 months to FULLY dedicate to studying...or you have a photographic memory). So my one suggestion as far as subject matter goes would be to stop trying to "learn" the content once you hit your 10-day point, and focus more on "review." Go over the stuff you know to get it down pat, and look at the stuff that you're a little sketchy on to get more solid. If there's anything that you don't recognize by that point, just try and remember keywords and pray that you don't get tested on it.

From a logical/psychological perspective, my one advice is to simply stick with your gameplan. A lot of people say that you should try and completely disconnect the day before...I disagree. I DO believe that you should be light on your review, but if you've been committing hours on end day after day for weeks and months, I think keeping your books closed the day before your test will hurt you more than help. Look at well-trained athletes: they never take rest days, only "light" days to keep the muscles moving. Other than that, sleep well and do whatever you need to do to calm your nerves and get in the zone. Otherwise, just know that by the day before, you've done all you can to prepare and you need to know that you've done all you can. But you need to be honest with yourself in whether or not you've committed enough to preparing. If you have, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your scores.

Congrats on the big success! You blew it out of the water! and its funny you mention the day off preparation in your post, I just spoke bout this in my other post and I clearly mentioned how the morning of studying will give you more edge then anything else. It only makes logical sense to stretch before running the marathon... you dont need to do it, but all the smart ones tend to do so. Good job and enjoy the victory! :thumbup: