How to go about next two years..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. In the fall, I'll be a sophomore in college. I completely scewed myself over my first year. I got an extremely low GPA and did basically no ECs. I'm facing academic probation when I return to school. The next two years are very crucial. I'll have to work extra hard to pull myself out of this hole Ive dug myself. My question is: typically people apply to medical school the spring of their junior year. I already know my GPA won't be strong enough by the time I graduate, so I think I should apply my senior year. I'm most likely going to choose a somewhat big minor so I can raise my GPA. Does any have any experience with applying late? And I think if I don't at least make the Dean's list next semester, then being a doctor just isn't in me. I see it as this: there are thousands of other pre-med kids out there who started off with 4.0s their freshman year, and I'm already behind them. So if I can't get in gear my second year of college, then I'm just a ******* and I shouldn't be wasting money pursuing an unrealistic dream. Do you guys think this is a good philosophy to go into school with?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A better philosophy (which I had in undergrad), is that if this is what you really want, then screwing up sophomore year isn't even an option. You will bring up that GPA so that it will be competitive enough during the app cycle.

/thread

A lot of people do gap years. You should be worried about how they will see the academic probation.

Members don't see this ad :)
A better philosophy (which I had in undergrad), is that if this is what you really want, then screwing up sophomore year isn't even an option. You will bring up that GPA so that it will be competitive enough during the app cycle.

/thread

Thanks for that. It's a much better way to look at things.

A lot of people do gap years. You should be worried about how they will see the academic probation.

I see 'gap year' all the time, but I didn't know what it meant. And I wasn't aware that med schools would know about my probation. There's no reason to be worried, it's there and it won't ever go away.

Thanks for that. It's a much better way to look at things.

I see 'gap year' all the time, but I didn't know what it meant. And I wasn't aware that med schools would know about my probation. There's no reason to be worried, it's there and it won't ever go away.

You're required to report institutional action when you fill out your app. Academic probation definitely counts along these lines. The good news is you have a great essay topic when you turn it around and pull Dean's list the next three years.

Just how bad is your GPA? Is it something that can be pulled up in two years, or will it require three?

A lot of people put deadlines on themselves. So you didn't give it your all and your GPA is low, etc. You're human and not the only one to have started down the bumpy path. What you do NOW can and WILL make the difference to being accepted into medical school. And, you've already recognized that you need to change your habits, and that is a great start. Just focus on your studies and priorities. If it takes you a little longer than your senior year big whoop. Medical schools are impressed with how you use your time. So take the extra time to help the community, shadow, etc etc and take a few more courses to become a "well-rounded" individual.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. The only person that can stop you from achieving your goals is YOU. Now, go make it happen! :)

Lots of people have trouble their first year. I wouldn't get too discouraged though; you can pull yourself out of this. Get your study strategies down, and figure out how to manage your time effectively. Push yourself and you'll see the results; don't give up if this is something that's important to you!

/thread

Agreed. You have to ask yourself if you really want to be a doctor. If you do you will do what you have to to get there. In terms of applying late, I spread out my premed requirements so that I would have an easier time/do better and ended up taking my MCAT right after I graduated and applying during my gap year. I worked as a substitute teacher and tutored. Most med schools will understand a crappy first year GPA as long as they see drastic improvement. So if you really want it work your but off and do well. Its a hard road but so far its been totally worth it.