Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The jacket has to fit off the rack in three places:

Shoulders - pads should be flush. The seam between the sleeve and the chest should be smooth and natural looking.
Length - only just covering your butt.
Collar - flat against your shirt collar. Don't try on a suit jacket without a dress shirt on underneath.

Pants need to fit in the thighs. Waists can taken in or let out about an inch, no more. And of course you need to decide on pleats vs no. The other stuff can be tailored and honestly if you get these right, that shouldn't require much for most guys. But these are the parts you have to get right, otherwise the suit will require more effort than it's worth to get right, and probably won't ever be right anyway.

Can the width of the pant leg be tailored? I just can't find suits or dress pants that aren't far too wide at the leg even if they fit at the waist.

Members don't see this ad.

Can the width of the pant leg be tailored? I just can't find suits or dress pants that aren't far too wide at the leg even if they fit at the waist.

yes it's a pretty simple/cheap alteration as i understand it

I have a short p-coat and I have a longer p-coat (more of a trench coat, but not matrix style or anything). I'm interviewing at UCONN next week and it will be cold. Can anyone give me advice on which is more appropriate with this outfit? Both p-coats are black.

Aq1Ae.jpg

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a short p-coat and I have a longer p-coat (more of a trench coat, but not matrix style or anything). I'm interviewing at UCONN next week and it will be cold. Can anyone give me advice on which is more appropriate with this outfit? Both p-coats are black.

Aq1Ae.jpg

Thank you!

Is your suit black? Nothing wrong with a black suit since most interviewees wear them, but a charcoal would be better.

I would wear the longer p-coat and as long as its not down to your knees.

Is your suit black? Nothing wrong with a black suit since most interviewees wear them, but a charcoal would be better.

I would wear the longer p-coat and as long as its not down to your knees.

It is blackish gray, I'm not buying a newer suit though this one is only 3 months old :p

White collar on light purple shirt too pretentious?

How about French cuffs?

Last edited:
http://images.menswearhouse.com/is/image/TMW/867A_41_WILKE_RODRIGUEZ_TIES_TAUPE_MAIN?$grid$

This tie with charcoal suit/white shirt?

This may be a different color than my tie but same brand/width/pattern except mine is a dark maroon

Pretty much want to know if the pattern is all right since the dots are black and a lighter color maroon rather than white (my shirt is white) does that not match well?

Edit: Also what kind of tie knot should I have. Four in Hand or Half Windsor. I really like the symmetry of the Half windsor but I am pretty short (5 ft 7) and slim, I don't know which knot fits me better. By the way I'll be wearing an express 1 mx shirt (not aware of what kind of collar that is).

Any advice?

Last edited:
http://images.menswearhouse.com/is/image/TMW/867A_41_WILKE_RODRIGUEZ_TIES_TAUPE_MAIN?$grid$

This tie with charcoal suit/white shirt?

This may be a different color than my tie but same brand/width/pattern except mine is a dark maroon

Pretty much want to know if the pattern is all right since the dots are black and a lighter color maroon rather than white (my shirt is white) does that not match well?

Edit: Also what kind of tie knot should I have. Four in Hand or Half Windsor. I really like the symmetry of the Half windsor but I am pretty short (5 ft 7) and slim, I don't know which knot fits me better. By the way I'll be wearing an express 1 mx shirt (not aware of what kind of collar that is).

Any advice?
Overthinking it.

Half windsor will take up more of the tie and look fine, I prefer it over 4 in hand in almost any situation I wear a tie.

Just some general FYI that I post on occasion because people always want to know where to get things for an affordable price.

I get shirts from JCP on sale for like 15-20. They look good, wash well, and are in my med student budget.

I get ties from JCP on sale if there is one that catches my eye. I also buy from the tie bar.

Shoes: JCP again but also 6PM.com

Socks: Basically the only non-conventional thing I do is wear more fun socks. I get them from Gap, H+M, basically anywhere that has some that I like.

Pants: Gap, express.

A general rule, the more you spend the longer the product SHOULD last (especially shoes) but if you don't have the money to drop 6 Gs on shoes, go conservative and inexpensive but not cheap. Always with laces, never with square toes.

Fit matters more than label.

Just some general FYI that I post on occasion because people always want to know where to get things for an affordable price.

I get shirts from JCP on sale for like 15-20. They look good, wash well, and are in my med student budget.

I get ties from JCP on sale if there is one that catches my eye. I also buy from the tie bar.

Socks: Basically the only non-conventional thing I do is wear more fun socks. I get them from Gap, H+M, basically anywhere that has some that I like.

A general rule, the more you spend the longer the product SHOULD last (especially shoes) but if you don't have the money to drop 6 Gs on shoes, go conservative and inexpensive but not cheap. Always with laces, never with square toes.

JCP does have good quality shirts. I bought a couple of Stafford brand shirts for interviews and they've been excellent.

I didn't like the ties at JCP, but Nordstrom Rack has an excellent selection of ties for <$20.

Costco has good quality dress socks for cheap too.

Nordstrom Rack for pants. Never really shopped in Gap or Express.

Members don't see this ad :)

So you don't really need a suit for interviews?

So you don't really need a suit for interviews?

You only need one suit. Typically you'll need at least 2 pairs of shoes (unless you only wear one color of pant) and multiple pants/shirts/ties for M3 and beyond.

Should we have a belt buckel or just a typical black leather belt? Can someone give an example of a professional belt?

Express suits are nice just because of their fit. You often don't have to get them tailored or anything, and they look good. Downside is they're not the most conservative of suits (i.e. they have pretty thin lapels). But the fit is still great.

Same goes for their dress shirts. Fit is great. But they can still look conservative enough. For anyone thinking of buying stuff from Express, wait for sales! They frequently have deals where if you spend x dollars you get a certain amount off.

Express suits are nice just because of their fit. You often don't have to get them tailored or anything, and they look good. Downside is they're not the most conservative of suits (i.e. they have pretty thin lapels). But the fit is still great.

Same goes for their dress shirts. Fit is great. But they can still look conservative enough. For anyone thinking of buying stuff from Express, wait for sales! They frequently have deals where if you spend x dollars you get a certain amount off.
All suits should be taken to a tailor. It doesn't need tailored when a tailor says it doesn't need tailored.

so i have a dark navy suit with muted gray pinstripes
i will be wearing a white shirt and a tie with blue and light blue diagonal stripes
black shoes ok?
and what do i do about the pocket square???? I was going to use a simple white pocket square but would that look too formal/ pretentious for a med school interview? Should I even wear a pocket square?

it pretty much looks like this, its not this exactly but is closest to what i have including the tie color, the model is wearing a blue pocket square tho.. hmm

http://www.menswearhouse.com/shop/p...751_700288707_-1_700000935_____noSpecialSizes

All suits should be taken to a tailor. It doesn't need tailored when a tailor says it doesn't need tailored.

Normally I'd agree, because that is usually the case. But with the slim suits from Express it sometimes isn't. Go try one on! If you have already and it needed to be tailored then maybe it's person-dependent. But I do know of a few other people who've bought slim-fit suits from there that did not have to be tailored.

I took mine to a close family friend tailor and they said it looked great, but that's just one opinion I guess.

Normally I'd agree, because that is usually the case. But with the slim suits from Express it sometimes isn't. Go try one on! If you have already and it needed to be tailored then maybe it's person-dependent. But I do know of a few other people who've bought slim-fit suits from there that did not have to be tailored.

I took mine to a close family friend tailor and they said it looked great, but that's just one opinion I guess.
Like I said, if a tailor says its good, it's good, but that's going to be the vast vast minority when it comes to suits, and this is the Internet where n=1 can become law in about 6 posts haha.

Like I said, if a tailor says its good, it's good, but that's going to be the vast vast minority when it comes to suits, and this is the Internet where n=1 can become law in about 6 posts haha.

Hahaha so true. I think I just got lucky.

Getting suits tailored cannot be emphasized enough.

So I bought these shoes
http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Mens-Melton-Oxford/dp/B000UUGZN6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and they're running a bit big. My size is 7.5 and I ordered that. When I walk in them my heel raises up, I could easily remove the shoe without untying.

Is there anything I can add to make the shoe fit? It would take a long time to return them and have a new pair 1/2 size lower delivered (I'm leaving next wednesday (not this one) for my interview)

When you do returns with amazon, either call them or chat with them directly. Tell them you need the shoes for an interview and they will send you the second pair of shoes (will probably do 2-day delivery) before you even send the original shoes back. Even without explaining the situation, they basically send you out the exchange pair and expect you to return the old pair within 30 days or something.

With that said, if you don't want to return them (which I definitely would, immediately), you can always buy inserts for the shoes and/or wear extremely thick socks (just hope it doesn't get too hot on your interview day)

Good luck

Cool! Chatting with them now! :]

Chatting dude sucked and said I didnt have that option. But the website allowed me to exchange and estimated delivery is Jan 10th :]

Last edited:

Why would a tailor say your untailored suit fits perfectly? Sounds bad for business.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

This is probably a bit late in the cycle for most people, but for those of you still putting together your wardrobe and for the next interview cycle I thought I'd make a quick guide. For most of you, you're just starting to dress like a grownup. I've seen a lot of misconceptions here, so I thought I'd try to clarify a bunch of things in one place.

First, good clothes are a good investment for you now. There are a lot of statements by people saying they won't wear a suit again until residency interviews, but for most people that just isn't true. In my MS3 year, I wore a suit at least monthly. Even aside from the suit, you'll be wearing business casual daily on most of your rotations. This mean's it's a good idea to start building up a selection of standard shirts and ties that you can wear frequently. Good shoes will also be used frequently.

The main misconception I've seen is that interview attire is a matter of opinion. It isn't. In contrast to women's clothing, men's professional dress is essentially a uniform. It's one that you can have some fun with, but it's still a uniform nonetheless. For a med school interview, you need to wear a suit. Not a sweater suit, not a sport coat and slack, but a suit. We'll start there.

The Suit:

Cut: you want a two-piece suit (both parts bought as a set!). For most of you, this is going to be your first suit, so go with something fairly standard. I'd recommend single vested, two-buttons, notched lapels, double- or single-vented, with fairly conservative styling. That means that you should be able to notice things like pick-stitching from more than a few feet away. Unless you're a bigger guy, avoid pleats. They tend to make the pants look baggy and are generally not very flattering.

For color, you should go navy or charcoal. No black!. Black is for funerals and formal events. Your interview should be neither of those things. Navy is probably a little more versatile than charcoal, but I personally prefer charcoal. Lighter grey can be awesome, but will look out of place later in the fall and during winter. Don't do the 3-piece suit. It stands out, and more often than not in a bad way. It brings the rest of your outfit under closer scrutiny.

Unless you're the 1-in-a-million that finds something off the rack that fits perfectly, you'll need to get it tailored. Make sure you get something that fits in the shoulders and is the right length. Those are the two things hardest to fix. A good tailor will be able to bring in the waist and make the sleeves and pants the right length.

If you're an odd size or shape, you should really consider getting a suit made to measure (MTM). There are a ton of good options out there, and many of them are fairly reasonable. Indochino comes to mind, though I know there are others. Look into it.

Shirts:

Again, you're going standard here. If you don't already have some good button down shirts, you should start with the very basics.

Cut and Fit:: Again, go standard here. The collar should be medium spread. Don't go for the cutaway collars, as they look gaudy on most people. Likewise, button-down collars tend to be too informal for an interview. The mao collar is right out. Depending on the shirt, your best bet is to go with barrel cuffs. French cuffs can be good, but if you're not careful they can be either too formal or too flashy. If you do go for French cuffs, I'd suggest using silk knots instead of cufflinks as they tone it down a bit.

Your shirt should fit well. Your shoulders should be in the right place, and you shouldn't look like a puff ball. The buttons shouldn't strain when you're sitting. You shouldn't be able to see a space between the collar and your neck, but it shouldn't feel like you're being choked either. Again, most off-the-rack shirts won't fit most men very well. There are a ton of MTM shirtmakers online now, and many of them are reasonable with great fabric selections. You're going to be wearing a ton of dress shirts from now on, might as well get started out right. Modern Tailor offers a deal for $20 on your first shirt, so you can make sure they get the fit right before you buy a bunch of shirts with nicer fabric. There are other options too.

Color and fabric: Again, go basic. A light blue oxford is a classic that will go with just about everything. Don't get dark shirts. They don't go with suits, and you'll look like you're going to a club. White is actually less versatile than most people think, and it tends to look very severe with most people's complexion and outfits. If you're going to go with white, get something with a very light stripe or check. Light pink and purple also tend to work well with a lot of options.

I would avoid getting wrinkle-free fabrics. They tend to look shiny and cheap. There are a few exceptions, but they're usually expensive anyway. 100% cotton is the way to go.

Again, you're going to be wearing dress shirts all the time from now on, get something that fits and will last.

Ties:

Your first ties should be pretty basic and versatile. You should own more than one tie. True story: there are two guys in my class, one with only one tie and another with only two. Everybody notices. Get some good basics with a little variety, you'll be using them. Avoid ties with wild or large patterns and ties with lots of colors. If you're really afraid that your tie is too boring, opt to get something with a little bit of texture. Wool ties and silk grenadine ties are good for this.

Also avoid the red "power" tie. Darker colored reds and burgundies are fine.

Good ties are expensive, but there are options. You can guy some good ties on ebay for really low prices. I've also heard that the tie bar sells a reasonable product, though they're on the lower quality end of the spectrum.

You should use a basic knot. Four-in-hand is probably the most versatile. I tend to like the Pratt knot. Half-windsor tends to be a bit on the wide side, and the full windsor looks ridiculous on all but the most giant of men. Whatever you decide to go with, make sure you tie it well. It should have a dimple, and it shouldn't be loose on your neck. It should extend past your waist band but not below the lower edge of your belt buckle when you're standing straight.

Shoes:

Style: You need lace-up shoes. Period. The standard would be either cap-toe or plain-toe balmorals. Wing-tips are completely acceptable. Leather soles tend to be a bit classier, but there are good shoes with a rubber covering on the soles that can be good too. Just make sure it isn't a thick rubber sole, ans they look cheesy. Also, most leather-soled shoes can be resoled, meaning a good pair of shoes can last your 20+ years with a bit of care.

Color: Black is the standard, so long as you didn't get a black suit, brown will work with most suits too. Oxblood is also excellent. Brown shoes will go with more outfits than black will, and if you get a good pair of brown lace-ups I'm sure you'll find they'll come in handy on the wards (at least, on those rotations with a minimal body-fluid-on-shoes risk).

Cost is always the issue here. Everyone wants to spend less than $100 on shoes, but there simply aren't good men's shoes that retail for that range. If you're really tight, go on ebay and look for Allen Edmonds shoes there.

Don't do these things:
  • slip-on shoes
  • square toe shoes
  • super flashy shoes (e.g., blue suede)
  • sneakers (of any kind)
  • Air Force Ones

Accessories:

Socks: though some may disagree, here's a place you can add a little flash. Don't go overboard, but you can introduce some color here. If you're going to go basic, your socks should match your pants.

Belt: The belt matches your shoes.

Pocket square: The best advice I ever heard on pocket squares was this: "if you have to ask, don't do it."

Watch: Optional, but if you do it you should have a leather band.

Other tidbits: Keep things clean and simple. Be careful of introducing too many patterns. One big mistake I see a lot of people making is that they think they should match their patterns. If your suit has pinstripes, your shirt should be unpatterned or it should have simple checks. If your shirt is striped, your ties shouldn't be. You get it. At the same time, no colors should match too exactly. Your tie shouldn't be the same color as your shirt. If you use a pocket square, it shouldn't be the same color as anything else you're wearing.

Reactions: 1 users
No Air Force Ones? Nelly would not approve.

This is probably a bit late in the cycle for most people, but for those of you still putting together your wardrobe and for the next interview cycle I thought I'd make a quick guide. For most of you, you're just starting to dress like a grownup. I've seen a lot of misconceptions here, so I thought I'd try to clarify a bunch of things in one place.

First, good clothes are a good investment for you now. There are a lot of statements by people saying they won't wear a suit again until residency interviews, but for most people that just isn't true. In my MS3 year, I wore a suit at least monthly. Even aside from the suit, you'll be wearing business casual daily on most of your rotations. This mean's it's a good idea to start building up a selection of standard shirts and ties that you can wear frequently. Good shoes will also be used frequently.

The main misconception I've seen is that interview attire is a matter of opinion. It isn't. In contrast to women's clothing, men's professional dress is essentially a uniform. It's one that you can have some fun with, but it's still a uniform nonetheless. For a med school interview, you need to wear a suit. Not a sweater suit, not a sport coat and slack, but a suit. We'll start there.

The Suit:

Cut: you want a two-piece suit (both parts bought as a set!). For most of you, this is going to be your first suit, so go with something fairly standard. I'd recommend single vested, two-buttons, notched lapels, double- or single-vented, with fairly conservative styling. That means that you should be able to notice things like pick-stitching from more than a few feet away. Unless you're a bigger guy, avoid pleats. They tend to make the pants look baggy and are generally not very flattering.

For color, you should go navy or charcoal. No black!. Black is for funerals and formal events. Your interview should be neither of those things. Navy is probably a little more versatile than charcoal, but I personally prefer charcoal. Lighter grey can be awesome, but will look out of place later in the fall and during winter. Don't do the 3-piece suit. It stands out, and more often than not in a bad way. It brings the rest of your outfit under closer scrutiny.

Unless you're the 1-in-a-million that finds something off the rack that fits perfectly, you'll need to get it tailored. Make sure you get something that fits in the shoulders and is the right length. Those are the two things hardest to fix. A good tailor will be able to bring in the waist and make the sleeves and pants the right length.

If you're an odd size or shape, you should really consider getting a suit made to measure (MTM). There are a ton of good options out there, and many of them are fairly reasonable. Indochino comes to mind, though I know there are others. Look into it.

Shirts:

Again, you're going standard here. If you don't already have some good button down shirts, you should start with the very basics.

Cut and Fit:: Again, go standard here. The collar should be medium spread. Don't go for the cutaway collars, as they look gaudy on most people. Likewise, button-down collars tend to be too informal for an interview. The mao collar is right out. Depending on the shirt, your best bet is to go with barrel cuffs. French cuffs can be good, but if you're not careful they can be either too formal or too flashy. If you do go for French cuffs, I'd suggest using silk knots instead of cufflinks as they tone it down a bit.

Your shirt should fit well. Your shoulders should be in the right place, and you shouldn't look like a puff ball. The buttons shouldn't strain when you're sitting. You shouldn't be able to see a space between the collar and your neck, but it shouldn't feel like you're being choked either. Again, most off-the-rack shirts won't fit most men very well. There are a ton of MTM shirtmakers online now, and many of them are reasonable with great fabric selections. You're going to be wearing a ton of dress shirts from now on, might as well get started out right. Modern Tailor offers a deal for $20 on your first shirt, so you can make sure they get the fit right before you buy a bunch of shirts with nicer fabric. There are other options too.

Color and fabric: Again, go basic. A light blue oxford is a classic that will go with just about everything. Don't get dark shirts. They don't go with suits, and you'll look like you're going to a club. White is actually less versatile than most people think, and it tends to look very severe with most people's complexion and outfits. If you're going to go with white, get something with a very light stripe or check. Light pink and purple also tend to work well with a lot of options.

I would avoid getting wrinkle-free fabrics. They tend to look shiny and cheap. There are a few exceptions, but they're usually expensive anyway. 100% cotton is the way to go.

Again, you're going to be wearing dress shirts all the time from now on, get something that fits and will last.

Ties:

Your first ties should be pretty basic and versatile. You should own more than one tie. True story: there are two guys in my class, one with only one tie and another with only two. Everybody notices. Get some good basics with a little variety, you'll be using them. Avoid ties with wild or large patterns and ties with lots of colors. If you're really afraid that your tie is too boring, opt to get something with a little bit of texture. Wool ties and silk grenadine ties are good for this.

Good ties are expensive, but there are options. You can guy some good ties on ebay for really low prices. I've also heard that the tie bar sells a reasonable product, though they're on the lower quality end of the spectrum.

You should use a basic knot. Four-in-hand is probably the most versatile. I tend to like the Pratt knot. Half-windsor tends to be a bit on the wide side, and the full windsor looks ridiculous on all but the most giant of men. Whatever you decide to go with, make sure you tie it well. It should have a dimple, and it shouldn't be loose on your neck. It should extend past your waist band but not below the lower edge of your belt buckle when you're standing straight.

Shoes:

Style: You need lace-up shoes. Period. The standard would be either cap-toe or plain-toe balmorals. Wing-tips are completely acceptable. Leather soles tend to be a bit classier, but there are good shoes with a rubber covering on the soles that can be good too. Just make sure it isn't a thick rubber sole, ans they look cheesy. Also, most leather-soled shoes can be resoled, meaning a good pair of shoes can last your 20+ years with a bit of care.

Color: Black is the standard, so long as you didn't get a black suit, brown will work with most suits too. Oxblood is also excellent. Brown shoes will go with more outfits than black will, and if you get a good pair of brown lace-ups I'm sure you'll find they'll come in handy on the wards (at least, on those rotations with a minimal body-fluid-on-shoes risk).

Cost is always the issue here. Everyone wants to spend less than $100 on shoes, but there simply aren't good men's shoes that retail for that range. If you're really tight, go on ebay and look for Allen Edmonds shoes there.

Don't do these things:
  • slip-on shoes
  • square toe shoes
  • sneakers (of any kind)
  • Air Force Ones

Accessories:

Socks: though some may disagree, here's a place you can add a little flash. Don't go overboard, but you can introduce some color here. If you're going to go basic, your socks should match your pants.

Pocket square: The best advice I ever heard on pocket squares was this: "if you have to ask, don't do it."

Other tidbits: Keep things clean and simple. Be careful of introducing too many patterns. One big mistake I see a lot of people making is that they think they should match their patterns. If your suit has pinstripes, your shirt should be unpatterned or it should have simple checks. If your shirt is striped, your ties shouldn't be. You get it. At the same time, no colors should match too exactly. Your tie shouldn't be the same color as your shirt. If you use a pocket square, it shouldn't be the same color as anything else you're wearing.

+1

Very Thorough!

Agree with everything except that one can actually safely wear a white pocket square with a white shirt.

I almost put that exception in there, except that most guys that know enough to pull off the pocket square won't be wearing a plain white shirt. Even though a white shirt and white PS works, it's still a bit too hash IMO.

Is this really you? I feel like I met you at a school.

Really? Where would we have met. This is me the day of my interview at OU.

I really hope that's not a black suit. Fits nicely from what I can tell. The brogues look great but are a bit bold for my personal interview preferences.

It's not, it's called heather charcoal. The lighting is kind of harsh. I wouldn't wear brown AE's with a black suit!!

Looks more charcoal-ish to me, kind of hard to tell with the lighting.

Bingo!

Any advice on shoes? (w/ charcoal suit, white shirt, maroon tie), I'd like shoes that appear to make me look taller as I'm only 5 ft 7 inches, color/brand ideas?

Wear dark brown or black with laces and a round toe. I like Allen Edmonds Strands or Park Avenue, or a comparable style of another brand. I think that wing tips are a great blend of professional and stylish. Make sure to match your belt (if you wear one) and your watch (if it's leather) to your shoes. They probably won't notice, but since we're talking about it. ;)

Forget laces...I'm wearing a pair of monk straps. :naughty:

The Suit:

Shirts:

Ties:

Shoes:

Don't do these things:
  • slip-on shoes
  • square toe shoes
  • sneakers (of any kind)
  • Air Force Ones

Accessories:

This is everything I think in words I'd never come up with on my own. Dudes, listen to this post.

Great summary. I agree on almost everything except the Windsor knot being only for massive people. With certain tie/collar combos the windsor knot tied tightly makes a pronounces dimple and offers a clean/symmetrical knot. I love symmetry. I wouldn't discount it outright.
I would also recommend a simple understated tie bar and would make a watch mandatory instead of optional. From both a psychological and fashion standpoint a watch just makes sense
Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Also I think my white shirt (with subtle white stripes) and tv folded pocket square is a classic combo and doesn't seem harsh at all. Maybe it is a little on the bold side of conservative though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SDN Mobile

Any of you fellas still needing a suit may want to consider this amazing deal.

Slickdeals link

102 bucks for a 3 piece 100% wool SLIM FIT suit from Alfani Red (would not recommend wearing the vest on interview day). Make sure you plug in the code WKND to save an extra 10% to bring it to 102ish. The regular listed price is something absurd like 600 bucks.

AR is a house brand from Macys. The reviews are generally good, although some have commented that the arm holes are low. In a tight spot, and for 102 bucks, this should be just fine as a backup suit.

I picked one up just for keeps as I am missing a grey suit in my wardrobe. If it looks great, then I'll keep it. If not, I'll just return it.

Full Disclosure: I have no vested financial interest in slick deals, macy's or alfani red. Just some one that wanted to pass along the savings. Good luck.

How do you guys feel about the front pocket? I kinda wanna change up my outfit for my next interview but my other dress shirt has a front pocket on it and I just think it looks a bit awkward, especially in a suit.

How do you guys feel about the front pocket? I kinda wanna change up my outfit for my next interview but my other dress shirt has a front pocket on it and I just think it looks a bit awkward, especially in a suit.
you won't be able to see it with your jacked buttoned, and most people will have a front pocket.

I also don't like having a front pocket on my shirt when in a suit, but I wore one all during interview season and it never made a bit of difference.

Bumping this thread for some suit shopping advice....

I'm super skinny... have about a 17 BMI. I've tried all of the major men's retailers and have discovered that basically, my only option is a custom suit.

Anyone do this? What's a reasonable amount to spend? Any tips?

I'm super skinny... have about a 17 BMI. I've tried all of the major men's retailers and have discovered that basically, my only option is a custom suit.

I've heard that Indochino is pretty good. Alternatively, you could gain some muscle and try to fill out :p

Lots of my friends use this company for custom suits.

It's a cheap cost-effective method I believe. I believe they said the quality was average.

Check for slim fit suits.

Ultimately you will get each suit tailored so they will look fine no matter what. As long as the shoulders fit and it is the right length (meaning not too short), they can fix anything.

If this is your first suit, I'd recommend you buy one at an actual store and have it tailored. Wait until you've had at least one well fitting suit and are more knowledgeable about how it should fit before you go the online method.