Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pk62281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to ask this kind of question again, but I've spent some time browsing through SDN and the BU dental website. I can't find specific positives about BU that I can list on the supplemental app. I think the class size is small, but I think student faculty ratio is more important than class size. Actually, I came across one thread that was pretty good at explaining BU's negatives. What are some positives about BU other than the fact that it's in Boston? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Look harder. They are going to ask you why you want to attend during the interview. Have something.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't know why you want to go to BU, why are you even applying there?

If you don't know why you want to go to BU, why are you even applying there?

2 reasons why most people apply to any dental school:

1) because the school will give him/her the right to legally practice dentistry.
2) because that person thinks that school might accept them

Reactions: 1 user
^ Exactly. And if you're spending mommy or daddy's money checking off schools, what more reason do you need?

Dude, that's a bit harsh. How much do any of y'all know about the schools you're applying to...other than listening to a bunch of hearsay from other kids online who know just as little as you.

Make up some BS for the supplemental, like everyone does, and pray you get an interview...that's where you can start asking the tough questions to figure out if it's the right place for you.

2 reasons why most people apply to any dental school:

1) because the school will give him/her the right to legally practice dentistry.
2) because that person thinks that school might accept them

Dude, that's a bit harsh. How much do any of y'all know about the schools you're applying to...other than listening to a bunch of hearsay from other kids online who know just as little as you.

Make up some BS for the supplemental, like everyone does, and pray you get an interview...that's where you can start asking the tough questions to figure out if it's the right place for you.

I agree

I am just stating the reasoning behind why people apply to a specific Dental school.

Keeping it real man! :laugh:

Its true though... the stuff on the websites are all pretty generic... we are at the forefront of so and so... we have research... outreaches...

What school doesn't?! I sure hope they give the school tour and everything BEFORE the 'interview' so I can get reconnaissance information/material to use to answer said question. :xf:

I've heard a lot of reasons not to apply there., but not anything positive other than that it's in Boston. I'm not sure how accurate or biased that information is though. It's just hard finding specific information about each dental school that sticks out over the norm when you've never visited. The BU website is not very detailed either.

where's that guy that always goes to the bu threads and says how terrible it is? haha

I doubt it's as terrible as they say. And I bet if it was someone's only acceptance, they would take it without blinking.

I know quite a bit, actually. I've talked to adcoms, and current dental students at all 23 schools I'm applying to. But whatever, to each his own. Good luck BSing your way into dental school - great start to this ethical profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know quite a bit, actually. I've talked to adcoms, and current dental students at all 23 schools I'm applying to. But whatever, to each his own. Good luck BSing your way into dental school - great start to this ethical profession.

Exactly, this is the best way to prepare. Find someone who attends/attended the school. They can give the most accurate info.

Not everyone will have the time to actually talk to dental students from the various schools. Many times, we apply according to the schools we think we can get into and pray we get in somewhere. The end result is becoming a dentist, so I don't see why not. This is just like when I applied to universities for undergraduate. Regardless, you definitely need to know a lot about dentistry and have good experiences, so they know you aren't bsing why you want to go. The only schools that I've had any real exposure to was UCSF, UOP, and Western. I also work full time now that I've graduated and there's no way that anyone with a full-time job can call up a d-student from x school and be like "hey, why is your school totally awesome"?

Not everyone will have the time to actually talk to dental students from the various schools. Many times, we apply according to the schools we think we can get into and pray we get in somewhere. The end result is becoming a dentist, so I don't see why not. This is just like when I applied to universities for undergraduate. Regardless, you definitely need to know a lot about dentistry and have good experiences, so they know you aren't bsing why you want to go. The only schools that I've had any real exposure to was UCSF, UOP, and Western. I also work full time now that I've graduated and there's no way that anyone with a full-time job can call up a d-student from x school and be like "hey, why is your school totally awesome"?

If you have time to eat, sleep, watch Tv, or pose this kind of question on SDN..then you have enough time to inquire about the most important decision of your life.

Even if you don't reach out to students, there is plenty of student feedback and interviews online that will tell you all about the school.

I would just like to congratulate everyone in this thread that answered the OP's question, and didn't hijacking the thread into a debate on the merit's of applying to specific schools. Oh wait...

Reactions: 1 user
I would just like to congratulate everyone in this thread that answered the OP's question, and didn't hijacking the thread into a debate on the merit's of applying to specific schools. Oh wait...

Lmao. Exactly what i was thinking!

Lmao. Exactly what i was thinking!

This application cycle is stressful enough, why would we outline someone's elses secondary essays when we have our own to write? They can google like everyone else.

Wow.. I did more SDN searched about BU. There is a whole lot of BU bashing and it's not just from one person. Darn. I don't know what to write on my supplemental.

Wow.. I did more SDN searched about BU. There is a whole lot of BU bashing and it's not just from one person. Darn. I don't know what to write on my supplemental.

Don't believe the lies. People spread rumors about LECOM on here, it's not even open yet. They will bash anything.

People also bash USC and NOVA from what I've seen over the years. There's some massive threads that might be around if you search. And there was that whole Western fiasco. And the infamous "USN DEAN IS RESIGNING! MY FRIEND TOLD ME SO!" which turned out to be untrue. Maybe it's just trendy. Next year.......let's do Harvard!

People also bash USC and NOVA from what I've seen over the years. There's some massive threads that might be around if you search. And there was that whole Western fiasco. And the infamous "USN DEAN IS RESIGNING! MY FRIEND TOLD ME SO!" which turned out to be untrue. Maybe it's just trendy. Next year.......let's do Harvard!

Harvard was on here too. People said it's too researched base and the education in the classroom isn't as good as other schools. Blah blah blah....

Most dental schools I've heard of have a 6:1 student to faculty ratio. I just called BU and it's 12:1 over there.

I don't know any specifics about BU b/c I never applied there, but I think it's affiliation with BU and its history are probably its greatest assets. I've noticed most patients don't know anything about dental school, so they rely on the reputation of the greater university on which to base their opinions. For example, I go to USC, and despite everyone on SDN thinking it's a crap school, every patient I have seen has told me they thought it was the best in the country (obviously, they don't know Harvard has a d-school!) My point is, the name and reputation count for a lot.

Also, affiliation with a large university means lots of $$$ and research, which provide more opportunities (and look really good if you're interested in specializing.) And as for specializing, BU has a ton of programs...if you want to get into a specialty, your best bet is to go to a school that has the program you want and get your foot in the door that way. All the people I know at SC in ortho and OS (ie, the toughest specialties) graduated from SC and spent the majority of their time hanging out in those departments, chumming it up with the faculty and what not (along with studying their asses of for Part 1s).

Finally, BU has a long history, which means lots of alumni and good connections when you get out and are looking for a job. At SC, the alumni are really big on volunteering also at the school, so there are always a lot of old guys hanging around with tons of knowledge and experience to share from their many, many years in practice.

Anyway, like I said, I don't know a whole lot of specifics about the school, but that's what I've picked up through the years in general about dental schools. Hope that gives you a starting off point at least for those essays. Good luck!

I know one thing, their $3,000 deposit to hold a spot (if accepted) is a little steep. I wouldn't want to hold multiple acceptances with this school as one of them!

Keeping it real man! :laugh:

Its true though... the stuff on the websites are all pretty generic... we are at the forefront of so and so... we have research... outreaches...

What school doesn't?! I sure hope they give the school tour and everything BEFORE the 'interview' so I can get reconnaissance information/material to use to answer said question. :xf:
BUinterview=intro, breakfast, tour, lunch,interview, financial aid, goodbye

Ugh two meals before an interview, guaranteed to spill something with a bright color on my suit.

I think everyone one is going to write about the APEX program... I did haha
Not me. That's one of the reasons BU is my last choice school. It's a good program for students to get experience in a private practice but I have plenty of experience working in that area. An 8 week externship after 1st year? Sounds like someone gets a free dental assistant for 2 months (or in my case hygienist). I'd rather work for 8 weeks of my summer and pay some bills.

Not me. That's one of the reasons BU is my last choice school. It's a good program for students to get experience in a private practice but I have plenty of experience working in that area. An 8 week externship after 1st year? Sounds like someone gets a free dental assistant for 2 months (or in my case hygienist). I'd rather work for 8 weeks of my summer and pay some bills.

haha, BU is my "backup" school as well, so I did not really put much effort into the secondary... I just wrote about the first thing that came to mind