Animal Nutrition through NCSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CohenMeow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with ANS 230 ( Nutrition of Domestic Animals), or ANS 415 (Comparative Nutrition) as online courses through North Carolina State University?

I am currently enrolled in both and need to decide which one to take.

Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

While I don't have experience with those classes, I just took ANS 225 through NC State and it was great, not too much detail, but I actually learned a lot. I am sure you are good with either class!

I just took ANS 225 too, it was a good class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies! I think I will go with the ANS 230, it seems like a better option for an online course. Thanks again!

I have not taken either but I am presently looking for an Animal Nutrition course to take online to fulfill vet school nutrition requirements and OSU admissions specifically said the Comparative Nutrition from NCSU was approved to fulfill such a requirement. May be worth double checking what the schools you wish to apply to would recommend if you are taking it to fulfill such a requirement.

I spoke with NCSU and they said both courses would be sufficient for any schools that require animal nutrition. Maybe that was just the course they were familiar with at OSU. I will need to check with the schools I am applying to though. Thanks for the info!

I took NTR 415, I found it tedious but easy to do well in and had useful information, especially since this was my first nutrition class ever. And he was pretty nice to our class, making the final optional. He also gives a good amount of extra credit points. If Dr. Ange is teaching the other class she is extremely sweet and willing to help you, but she is a nutritionist, and likes to get deep into some details. :)

While I don't have experience with those classes, I just took ANS 225 through NC State and it was great, not too much detail, but I actually learned a lot. I am sure you are good with either class!

How much did the course cost?
Also, did you take it as a Non-Degree student?

Do any of you have experience with ANS 230 ( Nutrition of Domestic Animals), or ANS 415 (Comparative Nutrition) as online courses through North Carolina State University?

Thanks for your help!!

415 is fantastic. Definitely take it! The professor (dr. Croom) is great and helpful. He gives bonus points if you notice errors on his power points or exams. The material was interesting and I maintained quite a bit. All his exams were multiple choice and you had the span of a week to take each one. Plus you got to take 2 practice exams that pulled from the same bank of questions as the actual exam. And the final pulled from all of the previous exams.

Thanks for your help!!

I've been thinking about it taking this online. How did you sign-up for it? I'm sick of searching all the schools websites to sign up for online classes...

I've been thinking about it taking this online. How did you sign-up for it? I'm sick of searching all the schools websites to sign up for online classes...
Its pretty easy to sign up through them. I took ANS 230 and actually really enjoyed the class and all vet schools accepted it. You have to first sign up for a non degree seeking student. The only problem is, NCSU does not let Non degree seeking students sign up for classes until all the students in the degree that take the course sign up. So you will have to wait until August to sign up. There were about 4 seats left when I signed up last fall. Good luck, call them if you have any questions. They are very helpful and understand pre-vets need this class!! Let me know if you have any questions!!! :)

Its pretty easy to sign up through them. I took ANS 230 and actually really enjoyed the class and all vet schools accepted it. You have to first sign up for a non degree seeking student. The only problem is, NCSU does not let Non degree seeking students sign up for classes until all the students in the degree that take the course sign up. So you will have to wait until August to sign up. There were about 4 seats left when I signed up last fall. Good luck, call them if you have any questions. They are very helpful and understand pre-vets need this class!! Let me know if you have any questions!!! :)

Thanks! It was easy to find, I just hope if I apply there are still stops left so I didn't apply for nothing!

If anyone ends up taking 415 let me know. I have notes and such that I can send you if you pm me