3.45 cGPA 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenzylAcetate

Just Peachy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied this season with a 3.38 gpa and the same MCAT but haven't had any interviews, so I am trying to prepare myself for re-application. My primary concern now is figuring out what I can do during the gap year that would help to improve my application.

Major: Biomedical Engineering at a large state school
cGPA: 3.45, should be 3.5 after this semester
sGPA: 3.19 should be high 3.3x at the end of this semester
MCAT: 11/11/10 (VR/PS/BS) with an O in writing
Illinois Resident

-Summer of research which ended in third author on a patent
-Summer of hospital work (300+ hours)
-Couple of interesting engineering courses focused on developing medical devices for developing areas of Africa
-Capstone design project which will end with a presentation and poster
-Shadowed pathologist and cardiologist, looking into shadowing a primary care D.O.
-3 year commitment to club sport which required 10 hours or so a week, every week of undergrad

Applied primarily in state this past cycle. With my less than stellar GPA and "good but not great" MCAT I know Northwestern and University of Chicago are out of the picture, that left me with

-Loyola
-Rosalind Franklin
-Rush
-U of I
-SIU

Also applied to

-Loma Linda
-Penn State
-University of Wisconsin

I have been looking into SMPs as I feel that my GPA is the weakest part of my application. So far I have only found one program that looks very interesting (Tulane Pharmacology) but I am undecided if an SMP is really the best course of action. Ideally whatever I do would help to improve my application but would also develop other skills for a different career if I am ultimately not accepted within the next two cycles. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really have any advice just wanted to say good luck as I'm applying next cycle with similar stats. Hopefully we'll have a few takers:D

Last edited:
Applied this season with a 3.38 gpa and the same MCAT but haven't had any interviews, so I am trying to prepare myself for re-application. My primary concern now is figuring out what I can do during the gap year that would help to improve my application.

Illinois Resident

-Couple of interesting engineering courses focused on developing medical devices for developing areas of Africa
-Shadowed pathologist and cardiologist, looking into shadowing a primary care D.O.
-3 year commitment to club sport which required 10 hours or so a week, every week of undergrad

Applied primarily in state this past cycle. With my less than stellar GPA and "good but not great" MCAT I know Northwestern and University of Chicago are out of the picture, that left me with

-Loyola
-Rosalind Franklin
-Rush
-U of I
-SIU

Also applied to

-Loma Linda
-Penn State
-University of Wisconsin

I have been looking into SMPs as I feel that my GPA is the weakest part of my application. So far I have only found one program that looks very interesting (Tulane Pharmacology) but I am undecided if an SMP is really the best course of action. Ideally whatever I do would help to improve my application but would also develop other skills for a different career if I am ultimately not accepted within the next two cycles. Thoughts?

Some comments:

Your MCAT score is fine and nicely balanced. But your BCPM GPA is cause for concern. I think you'd get just as much mileage, but more cheaply, with a year of postbac taking 3-4 science classes each term and maybe 1-2 in the summer (earning all As, of course).

But there are other problems to address as well:

I have concerns about the brevity of your clinical experience and how it will be viewed, despite the good number of hours. I hope you do or will continue to engage in gaining more hours, perhaps at another facility if the first is not convenient (hospice, skilled nursing home, clinic, rehab center). Three to four hours a week would be fine.

I'm glad to hear you'll attempt a shadowing experience in primary care, ideally with an office-based doc.

We increasingly see feedback that schools want to see nonmedical community service too. Ideally you might find an organization you care about and give it 1-2 hours per week of your time.

Leadership and teaching are also desirable. Maybe you could combine one of these with volunteering in your local area, maybe teaching ESL, tutoring kids in a poor school district, taking on a committee chair position for Habitat for Humanity, etc. Hands-on service is looked at more positively than fund raising.

If taking a lot more coursework is not something you want to do, then adding DO schools to your list would likely help (especially if you take advantage of their grade replacement policy by retaking any really low science grades), but you still need to beef up your activities list, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some comments:

Your MCAT score is fine and nicely balanced. But your BCPM GPA is cause for concern. I think you'd get just as much mileage, but more cheaply, with a year of postbac taking 3-4 science classes each term and maybe 1-2 in the summer (earning all As, of course).

But there are other problems to address as well:

I have concerns about the brevity of your clinical experience and how it will be viewed, despite the good number of hours. I hope you do or will continue to engage in gaining more hours, perhaps at another facility if the first is not convenient (hospice, skilled nursing home, clinic, rehab center). Three to four hours a week would be fine.

I'm glad to hear you'll attempt a shadowing experience in primary care, ideally with an office-based doc.

We increasingly see feedback that schools want to see nonmedical community service too. Ideally you might find an organization you care about and give it 1-2 hours per week of your time.

Leadership and teaching are also desirable. Maybe you could combine one of these with volunteering in your local area, maybe teaching ESL, tutoring kids in a poor school district, taking on a committee chair position for Habitat for Humanity, etc. Hands-on service is looked at more positively than fund raising.

If taking a lot more coursework is not something you want to do, then adding DO schools to your list would likely help (especially if you take advantage of their grade replacement policy by retaking any really low science grades), but you still need to beef up your activities list, IMO.

Thanks Catalystik, I appreciate the time you took in writing a response.

How much higher should I aim to raise my sGPA? I incorrectly calculated in my first post, but if all goes well it should be above a 3.4 at the end of this semester (would have grades by mid-may).

Part of the reason I was interested in the Tulane SMP was that it offers a fallback if I am ultimately not accepted over the next few years, I have been told that a pharmacology masters pairs well with the bioengineering undergraduate degree. However, I agree that simply taking a few science classes would be less expensive.

As far as clinical experience is concerned, would my current coursework for the capstone project be considered clinical experience? Without going into too much detail I am part of a design team building medical devices for bi-lateral amputee patients. I realize that it is for college credit, however there is a significant time commitment and patient involvement.

I will absolutely look into other volunteer and teaching opportunities.

Thank you again.

Thanks Catalystik, I appreciate the time you took in writing a response.

1) How much higher should I aim to raise my sGPA? I incorrectly calculated in my first post, but if all goes well it should be above a 3.4 at the end of this semester (would have grades by mid-may).

2) As far as clinical experience is concerned, would my current coursework for the capstone project be considered clinical experience? Without going into too much detail I am part of a design team building medical devices for bi-lateral amputee patients. I realize that it is for college credit, however there is a significant time commitment and patient involvement.
1) It isn't just about hitting a certain number (though seeing a 3.5 would be nice, this isn't always possible), it's more about having a strong of consistently excellent grades right before applying. What have your year-by-year GPAs and BCPMs been been?

2) Yes. It would be very important to highlight that patient involvement in the narrative about the activity so it will be noticed.

1) It isn't just about hitting a certain number (though seeing a 3.5 would be nice, this isn't always possible), it's more about having a strong of consistently excellent grades right before applying. What have your year-by-year GPAs and BCPMs been been?

2) Yes. It would be very important to highlight that patient involvement in the narrative about the activity so it will be noticed.

BCPM

Year, GPA, Credits
Fresh, 3.53, 19
Soph, 2.86, 25
Junior, 3.7, 4
(Senior, 3.8, 6)

AO

Year, GPA, Credits
Fresh, 3.63, 13
Soph, .3.35, 11
Junior, 3.59, 31.5
(Senior, 3.8, 29.5)

Total

Year, GPA, Credits
Fresh, 3.57, 32
Soph, .3.01, 36
Junior, 3.60, 35.5
(Senior, 3.8, 35.5)

Senior year grades are predicted, first semester did not include any BCPM courses, GPA was a 3.89

This is how my grades appear on AMCAS. Although many of the engineering courses I did well in could arguably count as BCPM courses, they were not recorded as such by AMCAS. The biggest problem was a math course I had taken my sophomore year in which I received a D (was taking an overly heavy course-load which, at the time, I was in no way prepared to handle). I have since retaken the course, but it had a significant impact on my sophomore year GPA.

The good news is that the GPA dip wasn't just last year or last semester.

With all the Engineering classes you've had to get in, how many upper-level Bio and Biochem classes have you taken/will you take, and of that total, in how many did you get an A?

If you want to get AMCAS to change a course designation, and the course description supports that it's at least 50% "science", then send them the course catalog description when you first submit your transcripts, if there is a next time.

I believe that AACOMAS does count engineering as a science. But there is no math in their sGPA.

The good news is that the GPA dip wasn't just last year or last semester.

With all the Engineering classes you've had to get in, how many upper-level Bio and Biochem classes have you taken/will you take, and of that total, in how many did you get an A?

If you want to get AMCAS to change a course designation, and the course description supports that it's at least 50% "science", then send them the course catalog description when you first submit your transcripts, if there is a next time.

I believe that AACOMAS does count engineering as a science. But there is no math in their sGPA.

Managed to squeeze in an immunology and general endocrinology course this semester, but otherwise I only have the pre-requisites and some extra physics courses. The lack of upper level bio was part of my reasoning for the SMP, but this probably also justifies simply taking a few bio classes as a part of a post-bacc.

How does a post-bacc work exactly? Can I just find a university closer to home and take interesting upper level biology courses? Or does it need to be a part of a formal program through the University?

Last edited:
How does a post-bacc work exactly? Can I just find a university closer to home and take interesting upper level biology courses? Or does it need to be a part of a formal program through the University?
There are formal (expensive) programs affiliated with med schools that have expert advisors, LOR writers, and access to needed ECs. See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum, attn Dr Midlife's sticky at the top.

Or you can take coursework at a local (cheap) 4-year state school. You might do this as a non-degree seeking student (where you would not have registration priority), or as a candidate for a second bachelors (though you would not be expected to finish it) so as to have loan eligibility and more ease of getting preferred classes.

Or you can delay graduation at the current school and take on a minor that would give you access to appropriate classes.

Thank you so much, Catalystik, for all of the great advice. I really appreciate your time.

I'm very surprised that you haven't gotten interviews. I have the same stats an ec's and got 4. With your improved gpa, I'd say there is a very low chance that you won't get any interviews next cycle. What state are you from? State residence really matters. For example, 4 out of the 5 interviews I received were from in state schools, so it's important. If I were you, I'd try to do some meaningful research in between cycles. Number one, publications are very important and set you apart from other applicants, and number two, you could get a very solid recommendation out of it.

Illinois residency, applied to five of the Illinois schools but didn't get any state school love.

Just a quick follow up. I am planning to take a year of upper level biology courses at UIC this coming year while trying to get more clinical and non-clinical volunteer time. I am also considering retaking the MCAT.

Would it be worthwhile to reapply (for class of 2017) or just wait until I have finished the year of coursework and volunteering (applying for class of 2018)? The only significant changes to my application (for 2017) would be the improved GPAs and a full committee letter of recommendation*. Based on the fact that I did not receive any interview invites this cycle, I feel that I need to significantly improve my application and reapplying so soon would be a waste of time and money. Thoughts?

*Due to scheduling issues and living 12 hours away from my undergrad. institution I chose to have a committee letter sent without first interviewing with the committee. The complete letter should be stronger and this may have been a significant hole in my first application.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your GPA as of now? That BCPM GPA is nearly a killer if you don't get it up. The cGPA is under the average for matric's but people have been accepted with lower. However, the BCPM is usually the major concern if it's .4 off the average acceptees. You do have a good amount of EC's. If you feel you can score much higher in the MCAT, then retake; otherwise focus on your classes and getting that GPA up!
GL!

What is your GPA as of now? That BCPM GPA is nearly a killer if you don't get it up. The cGPA is under the average for matric's but people have been accepted with lower. However, the BCPM is usually the major concern if it's .4 off the average acceptees. You do have a good amount of EC's. If you feel you can score much higher in the MCAT, then retake; otherwise focus on your classes and getting that GPA up!
GL!

So would you say that reapplying right away would not be worth it then?

Illinois Resident

-Loyola
-Rosalind Franklin
-Rush
-U of I
-SIU

Also applied to

-Loma Linda
-Penn State
-University of Wisconsin

If you do a tad bit of volunteering (even in a Soup kitchen) and your GPA hits 3.5, I think you shouldn't lose any sleep about getting accepted to one of Chicago land's DO schools. They aren't really the upper tier of DO schools, but the end result is based more or less of your work.

If I was you, I'd do that. AOA has plenty of residencies.

Post-bacc can be done informally starting spring term or summer term, and you could take about 16-18 credits per term,,,maybe less in summer. Straight A will be great, but 3.7 is enough to pull up your sGPA. Anyway, your course work will not be updated in AMCAS after its verifed - except grades for the courses you typed in. Unless you could predict your courseload, which is easily done at most schools, I would say apply 2018.
And the post-bacc is much nicer than an SMP, which is really not a kosher credential in the science world - it is rather a trump card to leverage your way into medical school. I used to think SMP for the same reason, professional credit in lieu of medical school acceptance, though I see now they are not designed to teach science skill, and they are designed to "show you can handle a rigorous couse load in preparation for professional school."

That is all here, :luck:

I think you'll get into an MD college. Everything looks fine, and although the GPA is somewhat below the average, your balanced MCAT and the EC should inspire curiosity in the ADCOMs.

Spoke with a rep. from UIC today and he told me biggest pitfall with my application was a lack of longevity with my ECs. He mentioned that even though I have a significant time commitment, they are looking for something long term. Nothing about GPA or sGPA, he even said my MCAT was "good". I am somewhat surprised, but this makes the option of taking a couple years off to continue with undergrad and start some long term volunteering that much more reasonable. Just wanted to update for anyone who might be in a similar situation.

Quick update:

Graduated at the beginning of May with a final cGPA of 3.48 and sGPA of 3.24 (may go up depending on whether or not certain engineering classes will count towards sGPA).

Planning to start some more hospital volunteering in the next few weeks as well as retaking the MCAT sometime in August (doing the SN2ed schedule in the meantime); also trying to get in contact with a DO to shadow. In the fall I am registered to take science classes at a local state school and am going to get involved in a volunteer tutoring program once classes start up.

Will reapply for class of 2018 with a (projected) 3.4x sGPA and 3.5x cGPA, hopefully the MCAT will improve as well.

*Edit* I received feedback from my pre-med committee as well after their official interview.

Good:

-I was "well spoken" and able to "articulate my desire for medicine effectively" (I guess they were expecting me to be a half-wit based on my GPAs, I suppose this means that I'll do well if I ever get an interview)

Bad:

-Lacking E.C.s
-Only 3 letters from professors total for L.O.Rs

Ugly:

-I was told that my PS did not come across well and may have hurt my application, so I'll be rewriting that sometime in the future. (This would have been nice to know ~18 months before when I submitted a copy of it to the office 4 months before I applied. But hey, it's not like the personal statement is a central part of the application which sets the tone for the evaluation of the rest of the application or anything.)

Last edited:
Planning to start
-some more hospital volunteering in the next few weeks as well as
-retaking the MCAT sometime in August
- trying to get in contact with a DO to shadow.
-In the fall I am registered to take science classes at a local state school and
-am going to get involved in a volunteer tutoring program once classes start up.
Nonmedical community service that helps the underprivileged is the most highly regarded. Seek out an opportunity that is off-campus. Have you considered coaching the sport you most love in a poor school district (which is also Teaching)?

Don't forget to consider taking on a peer leadership role.

The plan sounds good.

Nonmedical community service that helps the underprivileged is the most highly regarded. Seek out an opportunity that is off-campus. Have you considered coaching the sport you most love in a poor school district (which is also Teaching)?

Don't forget to consider taking on a peer leadership role.

The plan sounds good.

The tutoring programs I am looking into are for children in Chicago school districts (that wasn't very clear in my first post). I'll make sure to keep peer leadership in mind.