University of Washington School of Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiang1296

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want everybody reading this website which I was informed about a couple days ago that the University of Washington School of Dentistry is an amazing school. In the past five months... although very difficult... I have learned more information than most of my last year combined (including both physical chemistry classes).

This school offers people the chance to take it to the next level! Yeah somebody dropped who had was married with two kids and one on the way... an amazing person and I am very sad to see him go... but I am sure that he is missing out.

The school is in an amazing facility... I have visited other schools and this is just as good. It is fairly nice to sit in the labs and look over the Lake Union cut (canal to the locks).

And for the person at Arizona who thinks that who thinks that the reputation of the school is falling... I had no idea that everybody passing the boards with an average score of 94--96% caused a loss in reputation. I also think that having 19 out of 20 people who wanted to specialize admitted last year to be fairly amazing. He also mentioned that there aren't any "cool" people. You can be sure that you will be surrounded by some amazingly diverse, fun, athletic, and "cool" people... trying not to be too judgemental.

Let me tackle the histology issue... yeah it sucked to have to study before class... but we don't start til october. For those who didn't want to study... they are taking a watered down medical course in histology. It has been fair and the faculty is just being proactive in providing the students with an opportunity to lighten a first quarter load.

As for the interview process... the school is not going to sell you their program. Some of you may ask why? Well, no matter what, they will find 55 outstanding applicants. If you get accepted... you are one of the lucky 55.

For all of you reading the other mail that isn't pro Washington... just remember that the people posting negative responses about the school (not necessarily an interviewer) have no idea what they are talking about because they are not directly involved.

ASK ANY DENTIST IN THE COUNTRY ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY AND THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT THIS SCHOOL CONSISTENTLY PUTS OUT SOME OF THE BEST DENTISTS IN THE NATION!!!

To the people interviewing, good luck, and I hope to see you walking around the halls. If you want, come find me and I will answer any of your questions.

Ryan Chiang
Class of 2007 University of Washington
National ASDA representative for the UW chapter

Members don't see this ad.

Great to hear some positive things of UW. Afterall, it is my
1/2 price school of Dentistry...if I get in:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Washington is good, but not the best. It is overrated. Basically, if you aren't from Washington, even a 4.0 25 might not get you in. Not because your not good enough, but because you aren't from Washington. It's kinda like Howard and Blacks.

Originally posted by chiang1296

ASK ANY DENTIST IN THE COUNTRY ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY AND THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT THIS SCHOOL CONSISTENTLY PUTS OUT SOME OF THE BEST DENTISTS IN THE NATION!!!

To the people interviewing, good luck, and I hope to see you walking around the halls. If you want, come find me and I will answer any of your questions.

Ryan Chiang
Class of 2007 University of Washington
National ASDA representative for the UW chapter

Ryan,

Thanks for the post. I think everyone understands there are two sides to every story and I appreciate you taking the time to explain the point of view from a cuurent UW student. I do have a question though, why do you think UW gets such a negative response in general?...I mean, the interview feedback slams UW and many different people on the board here have discussed negative things about the school (you can search the forum for all instances "University of Washington" comes up). You're post is one of the first positive ones. Why such negativity towards UW (more than 90% of the other schools)?

You see, I have been invited to an interview (non-res), and will probably go, but this "it is a gift for us to consider you, and we don't sell the school" attitude I interpret from your post seems to be just in line with the previous posts slamming the attitude UW takes towards its students.

And for the person at Arizona who thinks that who thinks that the reputation of the school is falling... I had no idea that everybody passing the boards with an average score of 94--96% caused a loss in reputation.

Ryan, nice try, but I never said the reputation of Arizona is falling.

It's your own students (current and former) who have commented to that extent.

Go back and reread the posts if you need clarification. And FYI, a gift is worthless if you have no use for it.

Thanks for posting your opinions. Good to have you here.

To everyone...
notice who is sending negative comments! The person who can only find time in dental school to talk about a school which they don't attend. Ok, so former and present people talk of the UW falling, but does that explain the fact that UW rips apart both boards with ease. Does that explain to anybody why faculty at schools like UoP, USC, and UCLA ask applicants why they are even interviewing there being Washington residents? Who knows, all I know is that the vast majority of students are extremely satisfied with their ability to be a dentist after attending. I'm sure Gavin's friends are amazing dentists!! I guess that is a direct reflection of the school's ability to educate its students. The school curriculum is rigorous but at the same time it prepares its students very well for passing the boards with ease, and developing the manual dexterity to become a clinician.
If I want to be critical of a school... I would ask Gavin a question... "Why so negative about UW when you don't even attend the UW?"
For all applicants, talk to the people who really understand what is going on in the dental world. I guarantee that most dentists will explain to you that the University of Washington was and still is one of the top dental institutions in the nation. These are the facts and not just information from a "buddy of mine."
The UW is a state school, just like UCLA and UCSF. Getting accepted to a very strong state school is difficult, that is just how it works. Understand that the undergraduate students from the UW score second in the nation on the MCAT and although I don't have information on the DAT... I can assure you that the pool is very strong and competitive.
As for the interview process, now there will be more than one sitting in on your interview.
I will honestly answer any questions you have regarding this school and this school only, because that is where my experiences lie.

To jojo:
I don't feel like it is a gift to get in, I think that the application pool is very strong, and there is no way to separate 55 "top" students. What I am really saying is that in any political process, there are people who deserve to get in and do not... that does not mean that they aren't qualified. If you want to think of it as a gift... I feel that it is a gift for anybody to get into any professional school. A small minority of people ever have a chance to participate in higher education, and for this, I am very thankful.

Ryan Chiang
class of 2007 University of Washington School of Dentistry
National ASDA representative

*If you have a question, please give me a couple days to respond.

Ryan,
What is your opinion on having some of the first year classes with the med students? Are the profs med school or dental school profs?

"Why so negative about UW when you don't even attend the UW?"

Once again, go back and read any/all comments I've made about UW. I've never said the education wasn't anything less than superb.

I happen to love UW. The time I spent in Seattle was some of the best in my life.

The negative comments about UW didn't start with me -- they were here long before I joined SDN.

I have no qualms with the school at all, and would have applied there had I been a state resident.

Originally posted by swiminh2o
Ryan,
What is your opinion on having some of the first year classes with the med students? Are the profs med school or dental school profs?

The only class that we have with the med students, gross anatomy, involves the medical school professors/doctors. However, some of these professors have taught and still only teach dental school classes like neuro anatomy.

Learning with the medical school is a good experience. The level of students from both the medical and dental schools, allows for interactions with a greater number of intelligent people. It is critical to be able to bounce ideas off each other, especially in a course like gross anatomy.

I hope this answered your question.

Ryan Chiang
class of 2007 University of Washington School of Dentistry
National ASDA representative

Hi Ryan,
I am from Bellevue, Wa and would like to contact you.
I am very much interested in UW. Is it possible for you to drop me a line at:
[email protected]

or please let me know your e-mail id. Thanks.

Let's quit talking about the most overrated school in dental history please!

Why does it bother you Mr. RaiderNation? This democracy
and everyone is entitled to their opinion. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think raidernation is just pissed that the raiders suck and the seahawks are doing awesome! :laugh:

HAHAHA! Good one. Yes, Raiders suck this year. Oh well, at least they can rebuild fast, unlike the Seahawks. Who wants to play for the Seahawks? Raiders die but revive quickly, other teams just die.

IT'S A RAIDER NATION BABY!!!!

I agree that UW is a great school, but to toot your own horn like that is kind of cheesy if you ask me.

*toot toot* ;)

i did my undergrad at UW like ryan (who i actually had some classes with, too), and i agree that it's a great school. while i didn't decide to go there for dental school, that was only because i wanted to leave washington state (where i had lived all my life) for a new experience.

as a state school, it's hard to get an interview at uw if you're not part of the reciprocity agreement. however, since i'm at least somewhat familiar with what they have to offer, i think you'll find that the school has several great assets if you have a chance to visit. and, if you're worried that you won't get enough selling as to why UW is good (from the actual school themselves), contact ryan before you go because he'll do a good job selling you on why UW is cool!

bort ,

If you don't mind sharing, where did you end up attending dental school? I'm in a similar situation, having spent my whole life in the Seattle area. I can certainly see the attraction in seeking out a new location, if only for a few years.

chiang1296

Ryan, I'm definitely up for some UW selling, as I'm only a couple of weeks away from their interview. PM me your email info, so vishal_k doesn't hog all the info. :D

Boboli,
Is it true that Seattle is a depressing city? I hear that from many people.

A dentist in Seattle, does UW include razors and a plot in the cost of tuition?

j/k :laugh:

boboli_chef, i'm at the university of pennsylvania (penn) this year as a first year student. i got a scholarship, so the overall cost of attending is only a few thousand more per year than UW would have been (instead of $25,000+ per year). last year, i applied to 14 schools and interviewed at eight because I really wanted to see a diverse range of schools. it was a great experience to see other places. i ended up going to penn because of the great tuition deal and a great experience at the interview.

if you've lived in seattle (or the pacific northwest in general) all your life, it's definately worth taking a look at other schools, too. and those not from seattle (like shawnone), it's an awesome city. there is light rain a lot of the time from october to may, but i really enjoy living on the west coast. i'm also planning on moving back there after i'm finished with penn and any post-grad program i decide to attend.

Originally posted by boboli_chef

chiang1296

Ryan, I'm definitely up for some UW selling, as I'm only a couple of weeks away from their interview. PM me your email info, so vishal_k doesn't hog all the info. :D [/B]

Boboli_chef:

Congrats on the interview! I am hoping for one soon. How did they contact you for the invite? How long ago did you send in your 2ndry app? I sent mine in about a month ago.........

swim

I have my interview in January.

bort

I'm interviewing at Penn on 11/13. Any recommendations on what to make sure and see on campus? Also, is your scholarship purely academic, or was it for research activities in which you're currently involved?

swiminh2o

I sent in my secondary in late September. I'm sure you'll hear something from UW soon enough. They replied with a letter in a standard business-size envelope, asking to call and schedule a date ASAP.

I'm an undergrad at UW, and I LOVE Seattle. I'm originally from eastern WA, so yeah, I've lived in the area my whole life. I'm definately going to be applying to UW Dental School next year, but it definately won't be the only school I apply to. I definately want to get out and get new experiences, but it's not like I'd be devastated to stay in Seattle :)

Originally posted by ShawnOne
Boboli,
Is it true that Seattle is a depressing city? I hear that from many people.

A dentist in Seattle, does UW include razors and a plot in the cost of tuition?

j/k :laugh:

I've been to Seattle many times, and I once I'm done with Tufts, I plan to move there and set up my practice.

boboli, after you check out the dental school, check out the rest of the penn campus (the dental school is at the far west end of the main campus, and even though i don't go onto the main campus very often, it's nice to see that there is a lot of stuff east of the school). you can also check out the dental house (a penn-owned apartment complex with about 40 studios/1-bedroom apartments) that's about 4 blocks from the school. i live there and can show it to you any time after 4pm... some people like it and others don't... i think it's pretty decent, and it's nice to have 15-20 fellow first year students to live with...

also, when you're here, make sure to ask to see the dentsim lab. only a couple schools are using dentsim as extensively as penn, so you should check it out in the morning when students are using it, if you can. otherwise, make sure to look at the facilities, note both the good and bad, and ask questions to the students you meet at lunch. if you want, you can also e-mail me before or after your visit with any other questions. enjoy the school. i really like it...

also, they offer two half-tuition scholarships. one is strictly academic (which is what i have), and the other is for underrepresented ethnicities. let me know if you have any other questions.