Should I Go To Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questioningmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

A little about me: I am 25 years old, female, recently married, and have a Masters of Health Administration and a BS in Biology. I live in a moderately large city where I own 2 properties and am building a business with my husband. Our incomes combined are ~$110,000, although I'm not sure if my employment will continue after October because it is grant funded. After finishing grad school, I started working at a hospital under a grant funded position and decided to try my hand at applying to medical school. All through 2011, I studied for the MCAT. I got the score I needed. I applied to one (and only one) medical school and was accepted. I thought that was perfect because school would start in August and I was going to be "losing" my job in October anyway. In many ways, I am extremely blessed. Both my husband and I come from extremely abusive and poor backgrounds, so we know how lucky we are in building our success and in me being offered an opportunity to attend medical school.

The problem is, I'm not 100% I want to go. Even when I was applying, I had the attitude of "it if happens, it happens." I felt very calm. When I got accepted, I was excited, but not over the moon. I really need some advice about what to do. I DON'T NEED OR WANT snarky or immature comments.

The reasons I am unsure about going are the time and financial commitments. If we keep going to way we are going, there's a good chance our business could be self-sustaining in a few years and both my husband and I could quit 'traditional' employment and work for ourselves. I would be able to have children easily. If I go to medical school, not only do we start losing money to tuition, but we lose my time/efforts dedicated to the business. Medical school doesn't scare me as much as residency - I just have no desire whatsoever to be 30,31,32 years old and working 80 hours a week and postponing children and time with my husband. It boils down to three things: freedom, time, and money. I want to be a doctor, but I don't want that to be the ONLY thing in my life. Right now I am an employee, a small business owner, a wife, and a friend. I feel like medical school/residency would be so consuming I would only be "medicine." I feel like if I knew the time commitments would be reasonable (say 50 hours a week), I would be all on-board for wanting to do medical school.

What do you all think? I talk about this every night with my husband and we aren't coming to any conclusions, so I'm coming to you guys for ideas, inspiration, and advice. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at it from a job perspective. You'll almost always have a job with a medical degree, however, a business can go under very quickly. It may not seem pleasant right now but in the long run you'll be building a better future for yourself and your family.

Hello everyone.

A little about me: I am 25 years old, female, recently married, and have a Masters of Health Administration and a BS in Biology. I live in a moderately large city where I own 2 properties and am building a business with my husband. Our incomes combined are ~$110,000, although I'm not sure if my employment will continue after October because it is grant funded. After finishing grad school, I started working at a hospital under a grant funded position and decided to try my hand at applying to medical school. All through 2011, I studied for the MCAT. I got the score I needed. I applied to one (and only one) medical school and was accepted. I thought that was perfect because school would start in August and I was going to be "losing" my job in October anyway. In many ways, I am extremely blessed. Both my husband and I come from extremely abusive and poor backgrounds, so we know how lucky we are in building our success and in me being offered an opportunity to attend medical school.

The problem is, I'm not 100% I want to go. Even when I was applying, I had the attitude of "it if happens, it happens." I felt very calm. When I got accepted, I was excited, but not over the moon. I really need some advice about what to do. I DON'T NEED OR WANT snarky or immature comments.

The reasons I am unsure about going are the time and financial commitments. If we keep going to way we are going, there's a good chance our business could be self-sustaining in a few years and both my husband and I could quit 'traditional' employment and work for ourselves. I would be able to have children easily. If I go to medical school, not only do we start losing money to tuition, but we lose my time/efforts dedicated to the business. Medical school doesn't scare me as much as residency - I just have no desire whatsoever to be 30,31,32 years old and working 80 hours a week and postponing children and time with my husband. It boils down to three things: freedom, time, and money. I want to be a doctor, but I don't want that to be the ONLY thing in my life. Right now I am an employee, a small business owner, a wife, and a friend. I feel like medical school/residency would be so consuming I would only be "medicine." I feel like if I knew the time commitments would be reasonable (say 50 hours a week), I would be all on-board for wanting to do medical school.

What do you all think? I talk about this every night with my husband and we aren't coming to any conclusions, so I'm coming to you guys for ideas, inspiration, and advice. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

defer for a year, establish your business and it will give you time to think of what you want to do.

medical school is a long term investment with a lot of sacrifices.

edit:

Reading posts below, I remember you can also defer a year inbetween years in medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, congratulations on your acceptance! I HIGHLY recommend you read Panda Bear M.D.'s blog, his situation was similar to yours as far as age and family. Ifyou work and study efficiently in medica school you have plenty of time for a life, especially MS1&MS2. your final two years can get sticky, because of long rotations like surgery. You can have a good lifestyle in ROAD specialities, and also EM and Family Medicine. Good luck with deciding. You only live once.

Hello everyone.

I can gurantee you that there will be many weeks in which you put in more than 50 hours a week during your training. It seems as if you already made up your mind and are just looking for others to confirm it. If you want to have a lot of time to spend with family and friends as well as run your business, then medicine may not be for you. If you have a deep desire and passion to be a physician then follow your dream. From your post it does not seem that this is case. Only you can truely decide what is best for you.

Well, I would write you a long answer to purport that medical school is not right for your unless you are 100% into it, but I think that's a load of baloney.

I have read many a post on this very website of people uncertain if medical school is right for them while in medical school, and I have read and spoken to many a doctor who just doesn't know if they are 100% "in it" anymore. That being said, there is a disproportional amount of medical students and practitioners that love what they do.

In short, you obviously have the intelligence and willpower to go to medical school; that is displayed by the fact you already got in. You obviously have thought long and hard about it and are wise enough to let a train of pre-med students deliver their input.

What I can say to you is that since you have gotten in and since you have worked at the goal of getting in for so long, I would ask you to take a chance and go for the first year of medical school. It will drain you, however if you are drained to the point where you hate your life and find there is no time for your husband, then feel free to leave. Medical school is not a prison. I realize you have to risk stability for a year, but according to your medical school's committee and your work as an under and post graduate, you're ready. Go for it. Just know that life is never going to be the same again.

Hello everyone.

Wait, you've already been accepted? That's the hard part. GO.

P.S. I know women who had kids during med school. It's not ideal, but if you're at the right school, they'll work with you and let you postpone tests, etc. Also, you can go into a less demanding area like psychiatry or peds where the hours aren't quite so bad. Good luck!

It wouldn't make financial sense but you could always get your MD and not do a residency if you decide medicine isn't for you after. If some point in the future then you decide you want to you can always go for it.

Life is too short to spend 4 years plus residency on something that you aren't into 100%. You sound like you have a happy life, and a fulfilling potential career, especially with the business oppurtunity? Talk with your SO, if you can't see yourself doing anything but medicine 20 years down the road than take the acceptance.

Hello everyone.

Residency is a huge time commitment, yes, but it is temporary. Depending on the specialty you choose it can be as short as three years. After residency you have a lot of options in terms of what sort of time you want to put into your medical career. If it looks like your small business is going to be successful enough to be the main financial source you could easily choose to work part time in some form of private practice. It is definitely possible to have children during both medical school and residency. One of my interviewers actually told me that the best time, in her opinion, to have a baby is fourth year because it's such an easy year of medical school.

Of course it really comes down to which path you think would make you happiest. It sounds like either option is financially viable and it seems that you are fairly content with your current situation. So I'd say try to imagine each future ten years from now. I know that's probably an impossibility but if you can get an idea of it, make a pros and cons list of the two. The reality is that it's probably going to come down to a vague gut feeling but hopefully categorically listing out what you consider to be the good and bad factors will help you approach it analytically.

No, you should not go to medical school.

It sounds like you can see yourself doing something else and while I agree that the job security as a doctor is virtually unmatched, if you can see yourself doing something else, I really, really don't feel like it's worth the sacrifices you'll have to make, financial and otherwise, for your medical education. Admittedly, I don't know you or your situation, but now that I'm on the other side of 4 years of medical school and a 3 year residency, I don't think any of it was worth it.

Some of the posts above from pre-meds are in my mind, dramatically misinformed, which I can't really fault anyone for because I didn't really get it as a pre-med either. Two of my friends had babies during the "easy" fourth year of medical school. While it is a less busy year than others in med school, you're flying around interviewing for residency, studying for step 2, and completing at least 1-2 sub-internships, which are very busy. After the match tends to be a pretty relaxed time, but if you have a baby then, you're going to have an infant during the beginning of intern year. So, that means that you'll leave the baby sometime between 6 and 7 in the morning, then be gone til at least 6 at night, probably 6 days a week and often for 14 straight days without a day off. Then as a senior, depending on what happens with ACGME work hour restrictions, you'll be in the hospital for 28 straight hours every 4 nights in many programs. Any parent will tell you this is emotionally difficult to do, but logistically, unless your significant other plans to stay home with the kid, you'll be funding a nanny or day care A LOT of the time, which is not cheap. If you have the baby first or second year of med school, I personally think that's better, as much more of your time is your own first or second year than it is any other time during your medical training. However, these are the years you need to really focus on studying so you do well in classes and on step 1. And if you wait til residency to have a baby, depending on your program and specialty, the amount of support you get from your program will be variable......and as a frame of reference, I'm in peds, which is a relatively supportive environment and people are not given more than 2 months of maternity leave, if they want to finish residency on time. Plus, if one person in a small program has a kid, it honestly really does screw over everyone else in the program because they're picking up your slack. So, to sum up, baby in med school = challenging, baby in residency = really challenging. Both possible and variably challenging depending on the school and residency, but almost uniformly not straightforward. And expensive.

Residency, even in a ROAD specialty is no cakewalk. You will be giving up A LOT of your free time, nights, weekends, holidays, time with your husband and potential child. It is HARD to give that up. I don't have a baby, but have a significant other and our reslationship has been really tested during residency. I won't go into specifics because you've probably heard it before, but it is HARD, often thankless, and I don't know a single person who isn't at least a little angry and bitter by the end of intern year.

After residency, although you do have job security, the money isn't great in many specialties. For example, at my hospital, starting attendings make only about 30-40K more than residents which isn't even in 6 figures. Admittedly, this is because it's an academic hospital and it's pediatrics and the earning potential is greater elsewhere in the country and in private practice.

To give you a specific example in my case, I attended a private med school and now have over 250k in debt with the interest. I spent 3 years busting my butt during residency, working close to 80 hours most weeks, missing weekends with my boyfriend/fiance, haven't spent a christmas with my family in 3 years, getting dumped on by nursing/administration/patients all through residency. Now I'm going to be making less than $100k and hoping that public service loan forgiveness and income based repayment don't go away. And yes, I knew all this going into it, but it didn't really set in until I was on the other side of it.

All this said, there are lots of very positive, rewarding things that are part of my job that I really love. Was it worth all the sacrifices? Probably not. Could I have been as happy doing something else? Absolutely. Did I listen to people who told me that as a premed? Nope. :) But in your situation, I really, really, really feel like you need to think really long and hard before going to med school because in reading your post, I have to say that I would discourage you from going.

Looking at it from a job perspective. You'll almost always have a job with a medical degree, however, a business can go under very quickly. It may not seem pleasant right now but in the long run you'll be building a better future for yourself and your family.

This, and also I think you should move this to the non-trad forum if possible because they will have some advice specific to your situation. I think that in the long run it will be worth it going to medical school. Yes you will have kids a little later, but in 20 years it will definitely be worth it with job security and benefits vs your business may or may not be successful. Good luck!

What school did you get accepted if you don't mind me asking? Because that can make a huge difference in your decision. A big name can take you far away.

Now listen:

The world is about DIVERSITY. Some people are more independent some people are more dependent. Some people are more crazy about money some people are less crazy about money. Some people are more crazy about children some people are less crazy about children. Some people are more crazy about personal fulfillment than others, or they have completely different views of what that means.

If I were in your position I would FOR SURE go to med school. You are setting yourself to be highly dependable on others in the future. Dependable on your husband, dependable on your children, dependable on your business, etc. That can be very risky. If you become a doctor that means you are on the top of your game INDEPENDENTLY.

But again, from your self-description you are not like me and you are not into what I said. Just think how you want to be 10 years from now?

Do you want to be a independent and respectful doctor?

Or do you want to be a mother, wife and business owner?

Who do you you think your husband will like/love more?

Tough call. Talk to you husband and search deep inside you and you will find the answer.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, do yourself a huge favor and ignore any advice given by posters with "status: pre-medical."

no experience = no knowledge

(disclaimer: I file myself in with all the other starry-eyed pre-meds)

No, you should not go to medical school.

It sounds like you can see yourself doing something else and while I agree that the job security as a doctor is virtually unmatched, if you can see yourself doing something else, I really, really don't feel like it's worth the sacrifices you'll have to make, financial and otherwise, for your medical education. Admittedly, I don't know you or your situation, but now that I'm on the other side of 4 years of medical school and a 3 year residency, I don't think any of it was worth it.

Some of the posts above from pre-meds are in my mind, dramatically misinformed, which I can't really fault anyone for because I didn't really get it as a pre-med either. Two of my friends had babies during the "easy" fourth year of medical school. While it is a less busy year than others in med school, you're flying around interviewing for residency, studying for step 2, and completing at least 1-2 sub-internships, which are very busy. After the match tends to be a pretty relaxed time, but if you have a baby then, you're going to have an infant during the beginning of intern year. So, that means that you'll leave the baby sometime between 6 and 7 in the morning, then be gone til at least 6 at night, probably 6 days a week and often for 14 straight days without a day off. Then as a senior, depending on what happens with ACGME work hour restrictions, you'll be in the hospital for 28 straight hours every 4 nights in many programs. Any parent will tell you this is emotionally difficult to do, but logistically, unless your significant other plans to stay home with the kid, you'll be funding a nanny or day care A LOT of the time, which is not cheap. If you have the baby first or second year of med school, I personally think that's better, as much more of your time is your own first or second year than it is any other time during your medical training. However, these are the years you need to really focus on studying so you do well in classes and on step 1. And if you wait til residency to have a baby, depending on your program and specialty, the amount of support you get from your program will be variable......and as a frame of reference, I'm in peds, which is a relatively supportive environment and people are not given more than 2 months of maternity leave, if they want to finish residency on time. Plus, if one person in a small program has a kid, it honestly really does screw over everyone else in the program because they're picking up your slack. So, to sum up, baby in med school = challenging, baby in residency = really challenging. Both possible and variably challenging depending on the school and residency, but almost uniformly not straightforward. And expensive.

Residency, even in a ROAD specialty is no cakewalk. You will be giving up A LOT of your free time, nights, weekends, holidays, time with your husband and potential child. It is HARD to give that up. I don't have a baby, but have a significant other and our reslationship has been really tested during residency. I won't go into specifics because you've probably heard it before, but it is HARD, often thankless, and I don't know a single person who isn't at least a little angry and bitter by the end of intern year.

After residency, although you do have job security, the money isn't great in many specialties. For example, at my hospital, starting attendings make only about 30-40K more than residents which isn't even in 6 figures. Admittedly, this is because it's an academic hospital and it's pediatrics and the earning potential is greater elsewhere in the country and in private practice.

To give you a specific example in my case, I attended a private med school and now have over 250k in debt with the interest. I spent 3 years busting my butt during residency, working close to 80 hours most weeks, missing weekends with my boyfriend/fiance, haven't spent a christmas with my family in 3 years, getting dumped on by nursing/administration/patients all through residency. Now I'm going to be making less than $100k and hoping that public service loan forgiveness and income based repayment don't go away. And yes, I knew all this going into it, but it didn't really set in until I was on the other side of it.

All this said, there are lots of very positive, rewarding things that are part of my job that I really love. Was it worth all the sacrifices? Probably not. Could I have been as happy doing something else? Absolutely. Did I listen to people who told me that as a premed? Nope. :) But in your situation, I really, really, really feel like you need to think really long and hard before going to med school because in reading your post, I have to say that I would discourage you from going.

Females do not match well with a medical career. Very few will. That's my biased conclusion after reading your post. I don't blame it. I don't think you are wrong. It is just a substantiation from your post. I cannot expect a female to think as a male or vice-versa. I cannot get pregnant. I understand that makes a big difference.

PS: I thought doctors would make at least 100k after residency. That's for sure a drawback in your case.

Females do not match well with a medical career. Very few will. That's my biased conclusion after reading your post. I don't blame it. I don't think you are wrong. It is just a substantiation from your post. I cannot expect a female to think as a male or vice-versa. I cannot get pregnant. I understand that makes a big difference.

PS: I thought doctors would make at least 100k after residency. That's for sure a drawback in your case.

:eek: Not PC!

Primary Care. Specialities like Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, EM, and Family Medicine.
I thought it was politically correct like someone said above here. No I am not politically correct. That would be boring...

Serious that those specialities make less than 100k, after all the crap you have to go to to become a doctor? I would not say it is NOT fair, because that's a market decision, but the cost/benefit of becoming a doctor will not be worth it like that. The end results: people that could be excellent doctors will do something else... And maybe the salary of PC will rise again...

Last edited:
OP, I read your post and it certainly is a difficult position to be in. I read several reasons why you are hesitant to attend medical school (time consuming, debt, difficulty in balancing personal/professional wants and needs, family prospects, etc.) yet could only extrapolate "eh, I decided to take a shot at it and it happened to work out" regarding your decision to attend medical school. Just based on this information, I would say to skip medical school as it will dramatically change your current standard of living and perhaps make you resentful towards the school, profession, and even patients down the road when you are incredibly busy with medicine and have very little of your "old life". Nevertheless, this is not set in stone, and people have different personalities, you might realize that the personal development you achieve during such a rigorous experience to the like of medical school, in the end will make you a BETTER wife, friend, and mother even though your definition of what that constitutes will undoubtedly change.

Also, do not for one second take the advice of whoever said: "oh just do medical school for 4 years and then if you don't like it skip the residency". If you have gone through medical school, you want the residency to get licensed, otherwise your M.D. is worthless except to maybe some research opportunities who will still wonder why you did not pursue a residency which will be a red flag. NOT TO MENTION the oh so insignificant 200k debt.

Primary Care. Specialities like Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, EM, and Family Medicine.

Actually, I really meant politically correct in this case. Would you please keep up?

Also, Rick, "women can do everything men can do" does not jive with your earlier sentiment that females do not "match well" with a medical career.

Anyone?

My apologies to the OP.

EDIT: Looks like you edited your post in the interim and I did not "MULTIQ".

Anyone else agree here?

Last edited:
Actually, I really meant politically correct in this case. Would you please keep up?

Anyone?

My apologies to the OP.

It is silly to be politically correct. What would I want to be like that? I am not running for any office and I am not interested in telling you what you want to hear, but what I really think, whether you agree or not. That's one of the many beauties for this amazing country.

That said: I really do NOT think you should take any offense on what I said. First I didn't intend to generalize. There will be many exceptions although I still back up my opinion that for the MAJORITY it will not make sense. Would you say that the majority of women out there are not crazy about family and babies? Thanks God that's the case, so that humanity can continue to exist.

Also, Rick, "women can do everything men can do" does not jive with your earlier sentiment that females do not "match well" with a medical career.
The OP and the other reply here BACKED UP my opinion about that. Women can do whatever they want I will support them in whatever professional they set themselves to go into. I believe a women can be as smart and as capable and as free as men. Did you read my opinion to the OP !? I just don't think my opinion will be very welcome to her and to others with her mindset (majority).

AND AGAIN: This is NOT wrong or bad. This is diversity and a fact of life.

EDIT: Looks like you edited your post in the interim and I did not "MULTIQ".

I thought I had commented something wrong about PC. I maintain everything I said, which is summarized above. Sorry about the edit.

It is silly to be politically correct. What would I want to be like that? I am not running for any office and I am not interested in telling you what you want to hear, but what I really think, whether you agree or not. That's one of the many beauties for this amazing country.

That said: I really do NOT think you should take any offense on what I said. First I didn't intend to generalize. There will be many exceptions although I still back up my opinion that for the MAJORITY it will not make sense. Would you say that the majority of women out there are not crazy about family and babies? Thanks God that's the case, so that humanity can continue to exist.

The OP and the other reply here BACKED UP my opinion about that. Women can do whatever they want I will support them in whatever professional they set themselves to go into. I believe a women can be as smart and as capable and as free as men. Did you read my opinion to the OP !? I just don't think my opinion will be very welcome to her and to others with her mindset (majority).

AND AGAIN: This is NOT wrong or bad. This is diversity and a fact of life.

I thought I had commented something wrong about PC. I maintain everything I said, which is summarized above. Sorry about the edit.

You also put my name on somebody else's post. Could you be more careful next time?

Defer for a year, contemplate your future, and don't give up on Medical School too soon. I also come from a very poor family with violence and tragedy in Vietnam. My parents were farmers and illiterates. I escaped from Vietnam for a better life. After all these years, I realize that only education can improve my life, and that I can't choose where to be born, but I can choose the way to live. You at least have choices to make, but I don't. Let yourself have more time to think. It's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Well I am deeply sorry I was unable to infer your meaning correctly from a two word post.

I will say that I can find no data pointing towards women being greatly disadvantaged in the Match process. I would appreciate seeing it if you have some.

OP: This is now a gut call. The financial and practical reasons have been exposited well, now you must decide.

I will say that I can find no data pointing towards women being greatly disadvantaged in the Match process. I would appreciate seeing it if you have some.

Who ever said women have any kind of disadvantage? Any kind of prejudice? Maybe in other countries but not here.

All I said is that they have other priorities and other preferences in life. Read some comments here to realize that.

Med school requires many sacrifice in time and personal life. My personal opinion is that not the majority of women will be willing or comfortable in following that path. If I am wrong, I am sorry, but that the impression I get from reading comments as the ones posted here by them. And again I am NOT saying that they should change. I am just substantiating an opinion based on limited data. I did not interviewed all women in the country.

You need to have a long talk with your SO about what you want to do. Deferring for a year to help setup the business also sounds like a good idea. Would he be able to run the business alone? I also agree that going to medical school is a financially sound idea since you are still young, but if you aren't into it then the training may be absolute torture. You have a lot of thinking to do. Ultimately, don't choose a route that you think you may one day regret.

In this post when you said 'match well' I took it to mean the Match from Medical School to Residency. If I am wrong, then that is my mistake. If women do not match well as far as personality goes, why are there so many highly capable female physicians? Also, most doctors DO make 100k+ after residency, even in primary care. The average for IM is 140-180 depending on what studies you look at. I don't understand your hang-up on the OP being female. Could you explain it please?

In this post when you said 'match well' I took it to mean the Match from Medical School to Residency. If I am wrong, then that is my mistake.

It was your mistake. The thread is about "Should I go to med school?" so the match i was talking about was female OP to medical career. Nothing to do with the Match process here.

If women do not match well as far as personality goes, why are there so many highly capable female physicians?

Again you missed the point here and you are complaining about something I have never said. I NEVER said and will NEVER say that females cannot be excellent doctors. One of the best neurosurgeons in the country is female. What I said is: "They do not want and perhaps will not be happy with the sacrifices that being a doctor involves." Which is totally fine.

Also, most doctors DO make 100k+ after residency, even in primary care. The average for IM is 140-180 depending on what studies you look at.

The more the better. This is ultimately is a market decision. If med school was easier, do you think the salaries for physicians would be as high as they are today?

I don't understand your hang-up on the OP being female. Could you explain it please?

So maybe I was wrong, I am not always right, but I do vent my opinions. The fact is:

Two females expressed that reasons not to like med school and not to consider going through med school. Their reasons were not likely to be shared by males. Or maybe they were and in this case I was wrong.

My bad them. I was wrong. It is just that I sometimes think that most women are more worried about kids and family then with their professional career, at least the majority of them. And again that's not bad, not wrong. It is what it is and if you think that NO, more women are willing to give up family and motherhood to follow a professional career, than ok. I don't have those official numbers so I am basing my opinions to what I hear and see.

The reasons I am unsure about going are the time and financial commitments. If we keep going to way we are going, there's a good chance our business could be self-sustaining in a few years and both my husband and I could quit 'traditional' employment and work for ourselves.

And an equally good chance that it could stagnate or go under and you'd be in trouble.

I would be able to have children easily. If I go to medical school, not only do we start losing money to tuition, but we lose my time/efforts dedicated to the business. Medical school doesn't scare me as much as residency - I just have no desire whatsoever to be 30,31,32 years old and working 80 hours a week and postponing children and time with my husband. It boils down to three things: freedom, time, and money. I want to be a doctor, but I don't want that to be the ONLY thing in my life. Right now I am an employee, a small business owner, a wife, and a friend. I feel like medical school/residency would be so consuming I would only be "medicine." I feel like if I knew the time commitments would be reasonable (say 50 hours a week), I would be all on-board for wanting to do medical school.

It is very normal to have misgivings about medicine at every point along the way. Since it's residency that is scaring you, let's concentrate on that: there are residencies that will not require 80-hr weeks such as rads, radonc, path, psych, and others. It doesn't have to rule every facet of your life, but you should be willing to put in the time and due-diligence to become a great physician or you'll be doing a disservice to your patients. It won't be easy, but most find it very rewarding.

I would have to agree with the people recommending against going. Of course only you can make the ultimate decision if this is right for you, but the barrel of the gun you are looking down involves an almost incomprehensible amount of stress. If you aren't completely committed to this you won't make it. We had a guy in our class drop out very early in first year in a very similar situation. He was a bit older than the rest of the class, had a job before coming in, family etc. Congrats though, you seemed to make a very difficult process seem quite easy.

It's also a little difficult as a non-trad trying to determine whether medical school and medicine is "worth it" or not. As a non-trad you have a much better idea of what you'll be missing out on. I know that 5-8 years ago I wouldn't have had the perspective that I do now. So you have to judge your excitement about medicine a little differently than the excitement that someone a couple years younger has. They don't have as good of an idea what they'll be giving up as someone who already has some of those things, so I expect that a non-trad may rightfully have a slightly tempered level of excitement about medicine than the traditional pre-med.

Also, I don't see where you put any of your reasons for going into medicine. Only your reasons why you are hesitant about medicine. I don't know if that was intentional or just telling of your actual feelings about it.

Who let Rick Santorum have an SDN account?

Well, given your current age there's obviously no way for you to finish even the shortest residency program before you are 32. If that's a deal breaker, then you've answered your own question. You can have children in med school and residency, but obviously you won't be able to spend as much time with them as you'd like. Truth is you're smart and have already thought of this stuff so it's really up to you following your own heart.

What I can tell you from my limited experience in med school thus far is that it can take as much time as you want it to take. You can spend 40 hours a week on your schoolwork or you can spend 80. It will take from you whatever you are willing to give it. We have a number of married people and some with kids in my class so people do make it work, but they are undoubtedly making compromises in both study time and family time to make it all fit.

I've found that med school follows saturation kinetics. The initial increase in score per hour of work is rather drammatic, but it definitely starts to plateau. If you find you're satisfied and happy with the scores you're making by investing an adequete amount of time, then great! If I were in your shoes, I think I would want to at least try med school and see what I thought. Worst case scenario you learn a very expensive lesson that you dont' want to do this.

Don't forget that there are schools for mid-level provider positions that would have you finished up and working much sooner than the MD/DO route. If you have your heart set on patient care, looking into becomming a PA or similar may be worth doing. Obviously if you can get into medical school you'll have no trouble getting admitted.

I wish I could offer some firsthand info on the residency experience, but that's a ways off for me yet. Good luck making your decision and congrats on getting accepted!

NOTE: I posted this is pre-med, but then realized that I need advice from people who are living through medical school, so I'm cross-posting here.
Your initial instinct on what forum to post this it was correct. (plenty of medical students still check preallo to answer questions) This is a premed question and cross posting is discouraged. I'd expect this thread to be closed.

Like other repliers have said, you should do it only if it is something you really want to do. The fact you aren't super excited right now is probably an indicator that you're likely to be even less excited when going through the stress of med school. And then it seems you are unsure of if you will have the motivation to feel driven throughout residency. Everyone gets burned out during med school at some point and most people consider quitting. What keeps people in is when they think back to why they are there in the first place. If you can't think of a reason now and don't feel like going, you're probably going to be very unhappy in med school and residency too.

Like someone else said, other programs like RN and PA can make quite a bit of money, and the schooling and time commitment both during training and while working are much less relatively. So if those careers have the possibility of appealing to you, it might be something you could consider. I would also thing that your master in hospital admin could qualify you for work if there is anything that also interested you.

If this comes off as "snarky" or "*******" I don't mean it to:

I don't think you should go to medical school. You pretty much delved into the in's and out's of the sacrifices it will take, and I'm here to tell you that yes, you will have to sacrifice those many things. You will be swimming in debt, it's tough to have kids, and if you have kids, you won't be able to spend as much time with them. Right off the bat, your choices at specialties will be at least somewhat limited.

Going into medicine was something that was a definite for me. There's nothing in the entire world I could've possibly envisioned myself doing. There's still "times" when I get depressed and there's a voice in my head telling me I should've done something else. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens to a lot of people. If you're not totally into it I could only expect that there's going to be a lot of pain (from what you've told us) for about 10 years. As someone else pointed out, yes you will be in your 30's when you get out regardless because of your age. You'll also be in a lot of debt.

I don't know what your "job" is. But can your husband manage this on his own? How much time does it take? Would you be able to micromanage both if your hours you put in are severely reduced from school and your husband picks it up? You do still have free time, and if you don't want to be competitive, that can turn into A LOT of free time especially if you are time efficient. I think I read a post on this board about some dude who ran a restaurant business while in med school?

Best of luck to you.

first year med student here. I went to medical school because I couldn't see myself doing any other profession. If you can see yourself being happy running a business with your husband and having kids then I would say go for it.

Not to offend anybody but I personally believe med school is mostly for gunners and workaholics so if you want the next ~8 years of your life to whiz by then do it. These are the type of people that you want treating you. People that dedicated their lives to medicine. It has to be your passion. You have to really love the intricacies of the human body, the pathophysiology of diseases and helping people by treating them. Don't look at it as a business/financial investment because you will not be happy.

As others have stated there are many other health careers that allow some autonomy, some respect and some financial reward. PA (2-3 years 80k income), Opto (4 years 100k income), PharmD (4 years 105k income), Dentistry (4-5 years 140k income) etc etc. Nothing compares to an MD in these respects however but if you are not 100% head on going into this and for the next 8 years or so then you can try it for a few months or just don't do it.

I'm going to disagree with some of the above posters and say that you SHOULD go to medical school. Medical school and medicine is only a job. An amazing job in which you get to do some incredible things that most people don't even know about, but it is still a job/career. I am not on board with the whole, it is my entire life thing. I absolutely love medical school, and can't wait to practice medicine but I also love my family, and my hobbies. Don't fall prey to the SDN hype that you have to sacrifice it all to pursue medicine. Not to say that there aren't sacrifices (more on this later.) Reference the posts of MilkMan, a mod on here, to see another student who believes its okay to love your job as a doctor and still have time outside to enjoy life.

Financially: You will be better off in the long run. The math can get complicated, but you will eventually come out ahead since you are so young. If you put in 50 hours a week during school, with the exception of a couple rotations in third year, and a few in residency, in 8 years you will have a career making at least 150k a year. You can't say that about many other jobs. This is of course assuming you are okay practicing in family medicine, pediatrics, pscyh, etc. If you have your eye set on something that pays better, then you'll have to put in more time to get the grades, etc.

Sacrifices: You will miss out on some time with your spouse and your future children, however it doesn't have to be as bad as you may think. Myself, and other classmates with children, worked hard and stayed organized and made it home in time for dinner every night, and were able to take non-test weekends completely off. It takes a mature mind set to stay focused all the time and achieve this, but it is definitely doable. If you have any specific questions about medical school with a family feel free to shoot me a PM!

Congrats on the acceptance for this August!

Sorry, OP, but you may not cross post the same thread on multiple forums. Please choose the one best forum and only post your thread once. I have merged all of your cross-posted threads here.

U and me sort of same situation , i m 22 years old n Now i m studying business field as an undergraduate degree and suddenly i 'd like to go medical school. Then i think to change to bio major to go on medical school. But what i m afraid is what if i can't to do well on MCAT exam and worry not to get high enough GPA. what if it truly happens, I will end with Bio major and face with difficulty at searching jobs. Business major is easier to get job than bio major as everyone knows.

" IF i were u , i would go Medical school absolutely coz u've already accepted from medical school and i was so impressed in it. I knew u have to take time to study n pass MCAT exam even who earn bio major as an undergraduate degree students are facing struggle of getting in medical school. U got that easy , & why don't u take that chance." Hope u can do best decision and Best of wish !!!

U and me sort of same situation , i m 22 years old n Now i m studying business field as an undergraduate degree and suddenly i 'd like to go medical school. Then i think to change to bio major to go on medical school. But what i m afraid is what if i can't to do well on MCAT exam and worry not to get high enough GPA. what if it truly happens, I will end with Bio major and face with difficulty at searching jobs. Business major is easier to get job than bio major as everyone knows.

" IF i were u , i would go Medical school absolutely coz u've already accepted from medical school and i was so impressed in it. I knew u have to take time to study n pass MCAT exam even who earn bio major as an undergraduate degree students are facing struggle of getting in medical school. U got that easy , & why don't u take that chance." Hope u can do best decision and Best of wish !!!

The verbal section