jobs with only 6 mohths of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a foreign graduate in my mid 50s. I have been living in the states for about 15 years now. I have had 6 months of Family Medicine residency training before I was let go. I believe the reason for my dismissal was age related, however, I can't prove that.
This event took place about 8 years ago. Since then, I have been working at a doctor's office as a physician assistant (though I have not gone through any official course).
Currently, I am out of a job as this doctor just retired. I am wondering whether there are any medical opportunities available to me.

I have heard a couple of years back that you can moonlight or even practice in rural settings without completing residency. Does anyone have any information on this? It would be great if you do or if you could direct me to a place where I could get more information about medical jobs available to an M.D. with 6 months of FM residency.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm afraid that there is no good news awaiting you.

1) to practice medicine, whether moonlighting, working in a rural setting, or any other environment, does not technically require completion of residency (except it appears in South Dakota);

2) however, to practice medicine in any environment requires that you be eligible for a medical license;

3) as you can see here http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html all states require a minimum of 1 year of post graduate training (i.e., residency) for American medical school graduates to be eligible for a license and most require additional training (up to 3 years) for foreign grads

I am unclear as to whether your 6 months of training with a SPEX score would make you eligible in the US Virgin Islands.

There are many threads here on SDN about clinical opportunities for those who have not completed residency; the options are not great. Your best bet may be to find another position such as the one you held.

To add to your troubles, it's not clear that hiring you as a "physician's assistant" was legal in the first place, so I don't see getting a similar job in another practice as likely.

To add to your troubles, it's not clear that hiring you as a "physician's assistant" was legal in the first place, so I don't see getting a similar job in another practice as likely.

Although your best bet, legit or not, might be to talk to this retiring doctor and see if he has any friends who might be interested in hiring you as an assistant? Who is taking over this guys patients?

Thanks for all your replies. Seems like the general consensus is that I try to find another position similar my old one.

The retired doc,unfortunately, had turned it over to a younger guy who has his own PA.

@wingedscapula- thanks for the info about SPEX. I will look into it and see if there are any options available for me.

I would like to ask this question and wonder how it may be related to this threat.
define "physician re-entry into the workforce following an extended period of clinical inactivity"? define duration,

I would like to ask this question and wonder how it may be related to this threat.
define "physician re-entry into the workforce following an extended period of clinical inactivity"? define duration,

Your question has nothing to do with this threaD. The OP never completed enough residency to become licensed, so he never entered the workforce as a physician. Thus he cannot "reenter" something he has never entered, and without a license he can't be a physician. There are rules in terms of maintaining licensure and CME and re-certification, which vary from state to state that might be relevant to what you are asking, but not what the OP is asking. Best to ask your state licensing board if you intend to leave the workforce but want to maintain your license.