Eye Herpes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So I'm studying for Step 2.

Just wondering if someone can clarify this for me...

Does dendritic and dendriform mean the same thing? I recall seeing these words use to characterize herpes simplex keratitis and herpes zoster ophthalmicus (sp?) respectively.

If they are different, is it safe to associate those words as the following:::

dendritic = HSV
dendriform = HZV

Can't seem to recall where I found these descriptors and their connections.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's probably beyond the scope of Step 2, but HSV typically has dendritic lesions with a terminal bulb appearance, while HZV tends to have similar looking lesions without the terminal bulbing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably beyond the scope of Step 2, but HSV typically has dendritic lesions with a terminal bulb appearance, while HZV tends to have similar looking lesions without the terminal bulbing.

that probably explains why one is called dentritic and the other dentriform. Good to know.

HSV typically has dendritic lesions with a terminal bulb appearance, while HZV tends to have similar looking lesions without the terminal bulbing.

Exactly:

"SIMPLEX VS. ZOSTER
Viral illness, herpes simplex and herpes zoster share some features in common—all can cause systemic illness and vesicular lesions, for instance. So, it is critical to distinguish some of the subtle features. For example, simplex tends to cause true dendritic corneal lesions, while zoster causes pseudodendrites or simpler diffuse staining."
(Source: http://www.revoptom.com/continuing_education/tabviewtest/lessonid/106745/)

Ah so HZV is not actually dendritic but dendri-"form" or pseudodendritic. I just finished first year so just took the basic sciences :p