Helpful Interview questions/& Responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSFpharmgirl8

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all of you who are applying to pharmacy schools...I know it's a little nerve-racking when your getting ready for your interviews. I just want to pass by some interview questions that all of you should be comfortable in answering....I just hope this helps. :)

Questions:
1) Tell me about yourself?
---Here you could mention a) background/nationality b) extra-curricular activities your involved in c) your major(s)
2) Why do you want to become a Pharmacist?
---Here?you could go on and on. However just mention 2 main reasons why you want to become a Pharmacist. Like what experience or encounter made you realize that this is a career you want to pursue. You could mention how being in this health field will allow you to share compassion to your patients, providing good quality care. Then you could mention that with a Pharmacy degree you are given many options (here mention the different areas your interested in). Here if any of you have work experience...you could mention an encounter at work that helped you realize that you still want to pursue a job in the pharmacy field
3) Where do you see yourself in 5 years in 10 years?
---Mention both professional and Personal Aspect if given this question. For example...professionally you could say that you see yourself successfully completing the pharmacy program and passing the Naplex and having many job opporunities and other things. But also indicate the Personal aspect....like having family, giving back to community...so on.
4) What do you have to contribute to the field of pharmacy? To UCSF (or other school)?
---Just explain to them what you will contribute?like for UCSF you can mention that you?ve done your research and know that pharmacy is the career you want and are determined to perform your best at UCSF. Then you can mention that UCSF strives on importance of serving community and with educational and outreach programs that you would have the opportunity to continue volunteering and helping others. Mention anything that you might of found on the website. You could end by saying that you possess many qualities that are desired in a pharmacy students (hard worker, dependable, compassionate?.)
5) Why do you choose UCSF (or another school)??
---Good academic reputation?graduates have many career opportunities due to the education and skills they receive here. UCSF serves the community through outreach and educational programs and give you opportunity to help others. Also many Research opportunities. Also you could mention living in the new city?and what this has to offer.
6) We have hundreds of applicants, why should UCSF (or other school) choose you?
---I can offer UCSF several things:
1st I?ve done my research and have a desire in a career in pharmacy?.this demonstrates your determination and curiosity?which would make you a good applicant.
2nd compassionate---vital for the field of pharmacy. This can be noticed by my extracurricular activities
3rd UCSF strives on community and I would have opportunity to continue volunteering
----End by saying that these are just some of the qualities you possess that are a vital component for UCSF
7) What 3 characteristics best describes you??
---a) I?m compassionate---I get great pleasure sparing my time to helping others?mention examples here from your Resume
b) Dedicated----For example for time and desire to finish any task. Being homework If I?m confussed I would attend office hours.
c) Trustworthy----a lot of my friends have opened up to me and informed me of personal issues knowing that they could confide in me
----these are some qualities that I personally would mention
8) What are your strengths and Weaknesses?
Strengths:
******a) Hardworker---mention any of your major (s) and how you still had time to work, volunteer and make time for family and friends.
*****b) Reliable---always on time
******c) Honest
*****d) Good communication skills
******e) Compassionate

Weakness----Saying no?maybe when friends invite you to go out you can?t say no and go out?despite of this you have better time management skills, handle more things at once. When you list a weakness?.at the end make it a good thing.
9) What animal would you like to be and why??
---- I don't know if they would ask this...but you never know.
In my case I would mention more of an insect...the Butterfly. Because of the different stages of life and how this correlates to the transitions I?m currently undertaking
10) What pathway would be most satisfying to you and why??
11) What challenges do you see for the field of pharmacy??
---For example you could mention...pharmacists assuming role as "Patient Advocate"---in which they might find the need to verify the strength of a medicaiton or switching drugs that would be more cost-effective for patient that give same treatment. the challenge here is for physicians to have "confidence" in pharmacists and observe us as experts in medications. Since some physicians don't feel that pharmacist have the knowledge to "question" their dispensing medicaiton.
---Another one....maybe mention some challenges with students applying to CA schools and the incorporation of the new Naplex and out with the our Own Board exam.
---Another challenge..for Retail pharmacist is high prices of medications and challenge to give cost-effective therapy.
12) What class was your favorite? Least?
---for my least favorite..I mentioned psychology...b/c it was based on perception. Opinions...no right or wrong...that's my least favorite
13) How has your Undergrad school prepared you??
---Mention your majors. in my case I mentioned both my chemistry and bio major better prepared me for field of pharmacy. Mention anything here...like the diversity of your school or how you during that time matured and became more independent...so on.
14) What qualities do you see are needed for an exceptional pharmacist?
---a) Collaboration
---b) Compassionate-> Promote respect for human life
---c) Professionalism
---d) good communication skills
---e) Good judgement
15) Future changes/new roles??
---a) Fast fill/improved technology
---b) Increase demand on prescription due to aging population
---c) Counseling chronic conditions, diabetes, high blood pressure...new roles
---d) Patient Advocate
16) What is Pharmaceutical care??
----Is pharmacist monitoring medication, educating/counseling pateint on drug usage. Pharmacist judgement for MD to change drug/verify medications....so on.
17) Come up with questions to ask them....
---a) For ex. Do many of your students have time to participate in volunteer for organizations, clubs and would you recommend a student to be involved their 1st year.
---b) How heavy is the coursework? How much free time to work/volunteer
---c) Is it difficult to find housing?
---d) Mention anything that your interested in...in my case I asked about Residency and the % of students who performed this after graduation.
---e) To the student interviewing you...you could ask them how they enjoyed their experience at UCSF (or that school your interviewing for)

****** I hope this helps some of you guys....if any of you have any other questions...don't hesitate to e-mail me or respond to this thread*****
good good :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
WOW! Thanks so much for that info...made everything a lot clearer....now all i have to do is get an interview!
Appreciate all the time and insight you put in there...

Originally posted by UCSFpharmgirl8
To all of you who are applying to pharmacy schools...I know it's a little nerve-racking when your getting ready for your interviews. I just want to pass by some interview questions that all of you should be comfortable in answering....I just hope this helps. :)

Questions:
1) Tell me about yourself?
---Here you could mention a) background/nationality b) extra-curricular activities your involved in c) your major(s)
2) Why do you want to become a Pharmacist?
---Here?you could go on and on. However just mention 2 main reasons why you want to become a Pharmacist. Like what experience or encounter made you realize that this is a career you want to pursue. You could mention how being in this health field will allow you to share compassion to your patients, providing good quality care. Then you could mention that with a Pharmacy degree you are given many options (here mention the different areas your interested in). Here if any of you have work experience...you could mention an encounter at work that helped you realize that you still want to pursue a job in the pharmacy field
3) Where do you see yourself in 5 years in 10 years?
---Mention both professional and Personal Aspect if given this question. For example...professionally you could say that you see yourself successfully completing the pharmacy program and passing the Naplex and having many job opporunities and other things. But also indicate the Personal aspect....like having family, giving back to community...so on.
4) What do you have to contribute to the field of pharmacy? To UCSF (or other school)?
---Just explain to them what you will contribute?like for UCSF you can mention that you?ve done your research and know that pharmacy is the career you want and are determined to perform your best at UCSF. Then you can mention that UCSF strives on importance of serving community and with educational and outreach programs that you would have the opportunity to continue volunteering and helping others. Mention anything that you might of found on the website. You could end by saying that you possess many qualities that are desired in a pharmacy students (hard worker, dependable, compassionate?.)
5) Why do you choose UCSF (or another school)??
---Good academic reputation?graduates have many career opportunities due to the education and skills they receive here. UCSF serves the community through outreach and educational programs and give you opportunity to help others. Also many Research opportunities. Also you could mention living in the new city?and what this has to offer.
6) We have hundreds of applicants, why should UCSF (or other school) choose you?
---I can offer UCSF several things:
1st I?ve done my research and have a desire in a career in pharmacy?.this demonstrates your determination and curiosity?which would make you a good applicant.
2nd compassionate---vital for the field of pharmacy. This can be noticed by my extracurricular activities
3rd UCSF strives on community and I would have opportunity to continue volunteering
----End by saying that these are just some of the qualities you possess that are a vital component for UCSF
7) What 3 characteristics best describes you??
---a) I?m compassionate---I get great pleasure sparing my time to helping others?mention examples here from your Resume
b) Dedicated----For example for time and desire to finish any task. Being homework If I?m confussed I would attend office hours.
c) Trustworthy----a lot of my friends have opened up to me and informed me of personal issues knowing that they could confide in me
----these are some qualities that I personally would mention
8) What are your strengths and Weaknesses?
Strengths:
******a) Hardworker---mention any of your major (s) and how you still had time to work, volunteer and make time for family and friends.
*****b) Reliable---always on time
******c) Honest
*****d) Good communication skills
******e) Compassionate

Weakness----Saying no?maybe when friends invite you to go out you can?t say no and go out?despite of this you have better time management skills, handle more things at once. When you list a weakness?.at the end make it a good thing.
9) What animal would you like to be and why??
---- I don't know if they would ask this...but you never know.
In my case I would mention more of an insect...the Butterfly. Because of the different stages of life and how this correlates to the transitions I?m currently undertaking
10) What pathway would be most satisfying to you and why??
11) What challenges do you see for the field of pharmacy??
---For example you could mention...pharmacists assuming role as "Patient Advocate"---in which they might find the need to verify the strength of a medicaiton or switching drugs that would be more cost-effective for patient that give same treatment. the challenge here is for physicians to have "confidence" in pharmacists and observe us as experts in medications. Since some physicians don't feel that pharmacist have the knowledge to "question" their dispensing medicaiton.
---Another one....maybe mention some challenges with students applying to CA schools and the incorporation of the new Naplex and out with the our Own Board exam.
---Another challenge..for Retail pharmacist is high prices of medications and challenge to give cost-effective therapy.
12) What class was your favorite? Least?
---for my least favorite..I mentioned psychology...b/c it was based on perception. Opinions...no right or wrong...that's my least favorite
13) How has your Undergrad school prepared you??
---Mention your majors. in my case I mentioned both my chemistry and bio major better prepared me for field of pharmacy. Mention anything here...like the diversity of your school or how you during that time matured and became more independent...so on.
14) What qualities do you see are needed for an exceptional pharmacist?
---a) Collaboration
---b) Compassionate-> Promote respect for human life
---c) Professionalism
---d) good communication skills
---e) Good judgement
15) Future changes/new roles??
---a) Fast fill/improved technology
---b) Increase demand on prescription due to aging population
---c) Counseling chronic conditions, diabetes, high blood pressure...new roles
---d) Patient Advocate
16) What is Pharmaceutical care??
----Is pharmacist monitoring medication, educating/counseling pateint on drug usage. Pharmacist judgement for MD to change drug/verify medications....so on.
17) Come up with questions to ask them....
---a) For ex. Do many of your students have time to participate in volunteer for organizations, clubs and would you recommend a student to be involved their 1st year.
---b) How heavy is the coursework? How much free time to work/volunteer
---c) Is it difficult to find housing?
---d) Mention anything that your interested in...in my case I asked about Residency and the % of students who performed this after graduation.
---e) To the student interviewing you...you could ask them how they enjoyed their experience at UCSF (or that school your interviewing for)

****** I hope this helps some of you guys....if any of you have any other questions...don't hesitate to e-mail me or respond to this thread*****
good good :) :) :)

Yes, just shrink all this down to a small piece of paper that can easily be concealed in the palm of your hand, and you'll be set!:D
-jason

Members don't see this ad :)
Or just type it into your pocket pc. :)

Dang, Pharmgirl, you made the interviewing process a lot easier for some of the newbies. Anyway, since Pharmgirl gave you guys advice on what to do during the interview, I'll give you some advice on the impromptu essay portion. The UCSF AdCom will give you three statements which you'll have to respond from. A word of advice, choose the statement that you feel most comfortable writing about. Don't choose the hardest prompt and expect that AdCom will give you bonus points. The prompts I got last year were as follows:

1. People have differing ideas on what it means to have a fulfilling life, be it having power, knowledge, money, love, etc. Rank these abstract ideas from highest to lowest and compare and contrast your top choices with your bottom choice.

2. Dealt with jueveniles and when we should charge them as adults.

3. Dealt with the humanities and why all college students should take these courses.

Of course I chose number 3 because I could form a well thought-out argument about it. Another thing, AdCom will only give you one sheet of blank paper, with a square box in it, where you write your essay. Do not exceed the space they provide you. Boy, now I know where the boxes for the CP midterms and finals come from. Good luck!

Originally posted by neonam11

1. People have differing ideas on what it means to have a fulfilling life, be it having power, knowledge, money, love, etc. Rank these abstract idea from highest to lowest and compare and contrast your top choices with your bottom choice.

2. Dealt with jueveniles and when we should charge them as adults.

3. Dealt with the humanities and why all college students should take these courses.

Yeah, like a dumba**, I chose the first one. Boy that was a jacked-up essay! I think there were like eight of those ideas.
It made the UOP essay seem like a piece of cake that I should have answered in crayon.:)
-jason

another great aid! I will definitely choose the lesser of the three evils, then...or that I feel most comfortable with...
My hadnwriting is horrendous...so thats my worry on the essay!
Makes me think I shoul dhave applied to med school after reading all these scripts from other MD's

thanks yall!

Hi you guys....i'm glad to hear that some of you find these questions helpful. The thing you should remember...is try to be calm and confident during your interview...which is a little easier said than done. Just make sure you guys remember what you wrote in your personal statements and resume...since they're going to ask you questions from that. Also like Neonam mentioned...make sure you pick the easier essay question and one that you feel more comfortable in answering....not what JasonUCSD did :).... Good luck you guys and let us know if you have an interview at UCSF.

Also....before my interview, some of my friends and I went to Starbucks and they would give me practice interviews...to help me prepare. So for those of you who are a little shy and need practice and pointers...ask some of your friends to ask you questions and give you feedback. This would really help.

Since I did not have friends with a lot free time on their hands to help me out, I practiced for the interview in front of a mirror. First, I made a list of questions I think the interviewers would most likely ask me, like the ones pharmgirl had in the first posting, and then wrote little essays to answer each question. Needless to say, I practiced for a few weeks, so when it was time to talk to the interviewers, I pounded out my answers. I think they thought it was very impressive that I had so much to say about medication errors and what not, but I knew in advance what I was going to say.

When I told my bro how I practiced for the interview, he asked me why I had not made up two scripts, one for me and one for the interviewers, to which I respond, "Hey, I'm on the Parnassus campus, am I not?" :D

Reactions: 1 user
bravo! you guys have good advice for this year's interviewees. I wish I knew all this info last year when i was interviewing.
i don't think i have any more input as neonam and ucsfpharmgirl mentioned most of the important info about interview.
the last thing you need to know is to RELAX.

That's an EXCELLENT summary there UCSFpharmgirl8. It's much appreciated. Knowing what to expect makes for better interviews. I got to keep those tips in mind for when I apply for the entering class of 2005.

I like to thank neonam11 and USCFpharmgirl8. I've found those helps to be very helpful. Thanks alot and have a merry christmas!

Members don't see this ad :)
goheel & cyclopropane your welcome. I just like to pass out anything that I myself found helpful when I was interviewing....I know how stressful that process is....and if I can make the process a little easier...I like to pass that information out. Well I hope everyone is having a wonderful winter break. Merry Christmas everyone and I hope this year....brings all your applicants "wonderful" news.

I keep checking the mail....arrive already!

Oneday, yeah, it sucks waiting for the letters from the UC
's, but more likely than not, it will come this week, especially if you're living in Cali. If you think waiting for the invites are tough, just wait until March rolls around, and you're waiting for the acceptance/rejection letters to come. Yikes!

UCDBiochem, it's funny how everyone always say that you should relaxe during the interview because I was one of the most nervous, fidgety person in the group. Let's see, I was so antsy the night before the big day at UCSF that I did not get to sleep until 3 am. I was scheduled to interview at noon the following day. Then I madly drove to SF, naively decided to drink a can of Mr. Coffee (now you know how I got addicted to them) two hours before the interview. During the interview, I was half suffocating, cause I tied my tie a tad tight, and my interviewers noticed my trembling hands.

Although I was nervous, the interviewers were awesome, and when I left, they mentioned how well the interview went. From then on, I knew I had a chance. :laugh: So, yeah, if you are nervous, you still have a good shot at landing yourself a seat in the class of 2008 and having the pleasure of doing p-chem problem sets during the weekends.

Drop by the student lounge or take a tour of the campus and meet some of us when you're on campus, cool?

yeah neonam, i too was nervous the nite before the interview. i couldn't fall asleep until 2am or something. the only thing in my mind was the interview. but i was calm during the interview coz i knew there was no use to be nervous. plus you don't have time to get nervous. you gotta have a sharp mind to answer the questions. so being able to relax is crucial.

I guess I was the opposite from Neonam & UCDbiochem. In my case I took my interview as an opportunity to visit a new city and do some sightseeing. So luckily for me one of my best friends came with me and the night before my interview we went to a popular restaurant "CHA CHA CHA" and had Sangria....which in my case I had no problem falling asleep that night. The following morning my friend took me to Fisherman's wharf so I could do some sightseeing before my interview that was scheduled I think around 1pm. My friend knew that I was prepared...."enough that I could have been" and any extra minutes of practicing would just make me nervous and also you don't want to sound like you memorized stuff when they ask you certain questions. So during my interview I was "nervous"....who isn't?? but I was calm and comfortable and answering all their questions the best I could. The schools interviewing you mostly ask questions to get to know "who you are"....so just make sure you remember what you indicated in your admissions application forms. Good luck you guys...and if you have an interview in UCSF....contact either myself, neonam, ucdbiochem, or Jason UCSD

Hey pharmgirl!!!!

I was back in salt lake with michelle for break, but never hooked up w/her. I'll probably head back to sf during the break at some point though. You coming down here?

Besides the great information from UCSFPharmgirl8 (very nice job). I remember asking admissions who my interviewer will be. I think all of them couldn't tell me so what I did was during the day of the interveiw when I got the information packet that told me who was my interviewer, i bolted to a computer and looked up the person and got information on what she/he did. It was very useful to me because I was able to use the information as a way of braking the ice. I remember one of my interviewers worked on HIV just like I did totaly made the interview non stressful. It also shows that you prepared for the interview and show interest in the program and in them.

hey guys..what is the best way to find out about some of hte big issues in pharmacy? did you read magazines, search the web, etc..? i was reading through a few magazines but im not sure if they're big issues or not. thanks

Well for those who have early interviews and don't have time to research your interviewers, it does not hurt to research ahead of time on some of the heavy weights at UCSF and what they're doing. Last year I read several articles written by Mary Ann Koda-Kimble. I also suggest looking up Mike White as well.

IMHO, I think some of the hot topics affecting pharmacy today includes pharmacogenomics, drug re-importation, managed care (I'm being general, sorry), etc. Just have a general sense of what's happening in pharmacy and ask thoughtful questions during the Q & A portion.

Hey Triangulation

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier....I'm finally back at SF. I was visiting my family for two weeks in lovely Southern Cali. So where are you now....Southern cali/or SF??

Back in So Cal. Hopefully, i can get up your way soon. Tell Michelle to clean her house before i come!!!;) On a side note, did she tell you that her housemate is bes t pals w/one of my classmate/friends? tiny world, huh?

Any pharm students doing interviews?????

I get too....I am so excited!!!!

i'm only a 2nd year....we're not allowed to give interviews until we are 3rd years (@ucsf)....so for now I'll mostly be helping in the "Chat rooms" and giving tours of the campus. Hey Crazyislander, do you get a profile of the applicants that you will be interviewing?? Are you going to use "some" of the questions I listed....and do you have any other questions that may be helpful for the students interviewing??

Originally posted by CrazyIslander
Any pharm students doing interviews?????

I get too....I am so excited!!!!

towards the end of the iv season I will.

yeah, same as ucsfpharmgirl, i look forward to giving tours and seeing applicants during the interview week.

i have a UCSF interview on Feb. 7th...

Congratulations.....Prolab. I guess I'll be seeing you around on Feb 7th.

thank you! all your responses are so helpful! i only wish i had discover this site sooner!

Thank you all for all the help. I just hope i get my interview letter soon. I'm getting very anxious....

Thank you for all your help. I have an interview at UCSF on Jan 22 and was really nervous about the whole thing, so I really appreciate all your post. Thank you again, and have a great holiday.

thanks! I'll save this in my email, maybe it will be of use in a few years when I apply.

Thank you. This thread is so helpful. I was wondering how do you prepare for the on-site essay at the interview. I'm not a very good writer, especially when I'm timed. I haven't written an essay since freshman year! Are there any good practice books?

pharmgyrl said:
Thank you. This thread is so helpful. I was wondering how do you prepare for the on-site essay at the interview. I'm not a very good writer, especially when I'm timed. I haven't written an essay since freshman year! Are there any good practice books?

I am sure your personal statement essay written for pharmacy school was good practice and a good start. But here are some examples and exercises you might use to practice before your interview experience(s).

1) I guess, a strategy would be to look at some topic, let's say, FDA and Cox-2 Inhitbitors and try to gauge what a possible question could be on the topic. For example, what do you think should be the course of action for this class of drugs and what can the FDA do to better regulate these meds? Give possible policy, prescribing, economic suggestions, what could you do as a pharmacist?

Take an hour to write an essay, best you can. Probably start with a brief outline and then start the body. Try to write max 3-4 pages.

I know for UCSF you are given a box that you must write your response in...if you go outside that box, there is some consequence.

2) For the U of Arizona, I had an essay that asked:

The Surgeon General has invited you to help plan a way to improve prescription and non-prescription use in senior citizens. What is the elements, goals, and objectives of your plan, and how will you implement it?

Now take an hour and write an organized essay without a page limit.

3) The final exercises are similiar to what UCSF/UCSD asked. UCSF asked what does "Make Hase Quickly" mean and how does it apply to you? I think they asked a question on technology and science, and the final option was to create some sort of myth story...very creative and off the wall, not as straightforward as my previous two examples. Finally, UCSD asked, your friend comes into your home town, where would you take him or her and why?

You have an hour to write your response.

These exercises will help you think on the spot. Try simulating the experience with a time limit.

By this time, you should have your own style of writing and be efficient in communicating your ideas, so I can't think of any other strategy that can save you there. Just be good at outlining and structuring a coherent, cohesive essay, and you should be fine.

Good Luck!!!

hey guys,

thanks a lot for the help!! this has been so helpful. i was so nervous cuz i didn't know what to expect, but just having an idea has been great :D

Last edited:
by the way, what was the UOP essay?
thanks!

jason UCSD2000 said:
Yeah, like a dumba**, I chose the first one. Boy that was a jacked-up essay! I think there were like eight of those ideas.
It made the UOP essay seem like a piece of cake that I should have answered in crayon.:)
-jason

Hi UCFpharmgirl8 thanks for the tips they are so useful to me. And also a question about the haiku at the end of your post- are you guju
Thanks once again
campharm

UCSFpharmgirl, thanks sooooooooooo much ! You are beyond amazing !:)
I strongly believe in karma and I believe that there is lots of good karma coming your way for helping everyone out and putting such great tips together !:)

I would like to thank UCSFpharmgirl for taking some time to write about her interview. This is great.

i wonder, does being honest can cause problems during the interview? Such as to mention the great salary when answering question 2. lets face it, most of us study pharmacy mainly b/c of the demand for pharmacists and the salary. what do you guys think? am I wrong? thanks :)

I would like to thank UCSFpharmgirl for taking some time to write about her interview. This is great.

i wonder, does being honest can cause problems during the interview? Such as to mention the great salary when answering question 2. lets face it, most of us study pharmacy mainly b/c of the demand for pharmacists and the salary. what do you guys think? am I wrong? thanks :)

haha you're right. My parents are pushing me to be doctor for the money and the reputation lol.

Yes, I'm asian. Go figure..

Yes - in this case, too much honesty is not a good thing - somewhat like answering your SO's question "does this make me look fat?". No good answer to that question, but if it does, you have to expect your honest answer to have some repercusions. The difference with an SO is you can talk you way back into her/his good graces. Not so much with an interview.

Don't talk about money. Everyone in the business knows how much you'll make. Don't use that as a motivator in an interview situation.

And - no...not all of us become pharmacists for the money or demand. I graduated during a time of little demand for pharmacists. That day will return.....

this is one of the most important post ive seen here and it lives on even though the person posted it in 2003 lol. THIS should be umm whats the word linked to the top of the page so its easy for every1 to see it. :D