Rotation portfolio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jewel2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which work I've done in APPE rotations to put into my rotation portfolio that I might use to show to the interviewers on site... People say you should list the works you're comfortable/confident with on your CV. Is it the same for rotation portfolio as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to decide which work I've done in APPE rotations to put into my rotation portfolio that I might use to show to the interviewers on site... People say you should list the works you're comfortable/confident with on your CV. Is it the same for rotation portfolio as well?

Yes.

You probably won't get a chance to show it though, as no one will ask you any questions where you could pull it out without being overly pretentious.

Yes.

You probably won't get a chance to show it though, as no one will ask you any questions where you could pull it out without being overly pretentious.

Not at all. I took my portfolio to all my interviews, used it to do some show and tell naturally to enhance your response to certain questions. (e.g "Tell me about your favorite rotation.")

In one of the interviews, I was asked to do a presentation on one of them, my choice of which to use. I matched my top choice.

No, not all sites will give you a chance to do some show and tell. But just bringing along a well organized portfolio shows you are organized and came prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's a rotation portfolio? Is this something 1st yr students should start preparing?

Having a rotation portfolio actually ****ed me up on a residency interview. They asked some detailed questions about some of the projects I did on my rotations and I just blanked out since I didn't review that before the interview.

Having a rotation portfolio actually ****ed me up on a residency interview. They asked some detailed questions about some of the projects I did on my rotations and I just blanked out since I didn't review that before the interview.

I don't understand this or why people "review" their CV prior to interviews. Each project I did, whether it be on my CV or in my portfolio, I put enough time and energy into them that even two years out of school I could still talk about them into an interview setting.

If your interviewer is a subject matter expert in the project area then questions get can get pretty technical very quickly. Or maybe he has done more projects than you.

Its a pretty understandable situation

If your interviewer is a subject matter expert in the project area then questions get can get pretty technical very quickly. Or maybe he has done more projects than you.

:laugh:

Ok, or the person didn't put forth the effort initially and cannot back it up when it is time. As someone who interviews potential pharmacy students and residents, I find this is most often the case.

No.

:laugh:

Ok, or the person didn't put forth the effort initially and cannot back it up when it is time. As someone who interviews potential pharmacy students and residents, I find this is most often the case.

In no universe is it acceptable for a student to be unable to answer questions about a project they were allegedly involved in. I'm not talking detailed subject matter questions that might have been beyond the scope of the project. I'm talking about "what was the project, what were the outcomes, what were your results, how were you involved, what did you learn, what issues did you identify for further study, etc?"

What did you physically carry with you in the "portfolio?" I can discuss anything on my CV at length, but I don't have anything printed out to take with me. If we did a discharge counseling project, for example, should I print out a sample discharge form?

Journal clubs, drug info response, presentations, posters/pamphlets, drug monographs, etc. Here is where hospital rotations tend to result in much more stuff than retail. But that also support your interest in residency. Also included research, leadership stuff in there under a different section.

I bought a professional fabric, zippered, black, ringed folder, cost around $28. Sorry, didn't care to spend money on a leather one.

Organized mine this way:
Table of contents
CV with business card attched
Each rotation section in chronological order
Each rotation section with preceptor eval followed by most to least proud project
Thumb drive containing all the files
Final section with all the non-rotation works

Of course don't keep any HIPAA stuff in there

Yes it might be a bit of over kill, but I did want to have any regrets for not having tried hard enough.

No.

In no universe is it acceptable for a student to be unable to answer questions about a project they were allegedly involved in. I'm not talking detailed subject matter questions that might have been beyond the scope of the project. I'm talking about "what was the project, what were the outcomes, what were your results, how were you involved, what did you learn, what issues did you identify for further study, etc?"

lmao "no." it was pretty clear in my post that i was talking about detailed subject matter questions ... its happened to me before and its something that you can't really prepare for.

example: consulting interviews typically throw you curveball questions that you don't necessarily need to answer correctly - its a test to see how you react under pressure.

Say that (1) sorry that was beyond the scope of my project (2) don't get flustered (3) move on. It doesn't necessarily need to bring down your entire interview

Journal clubs, drug info response, presentations, posters/pamphlets, drug monographs, etc. Here is where hospital rotations tend to result in much more stuff than retail. But that also support your interest in residency. Also included research, leadership stuff in there under a different section.

I bought a professional fabric, zippered, black, ringed folder, cost around $28. Sorry, didn't care to spend money on a leather one.

Organized mine this way:
Table of contents
CV with business card attched
Each rotation section in chronological order
Each rotation section with preceptor eval followed by most to least proud project
Thumb drive containing all the files
Final section with all the non-rotation works

Of course don't keep any HIPAA stuff in there

Yes it might be a bit of over kill, but I did want to have any regrets for not having tried hard enough.
I need advice. I'm going to be PPSing with a few residencies. You only had one copy of the portfolio that you kept yourself and just brought it out when you were on interviews? Or did you leave a copy of the portfolio with everyone you interviewed with? For the residency showcase I'm guessing it would be pretty useless since you don't have one on one time and I don't think you could give that instead of a CV.

Also if I apply and get a on-site interview then I should bring it again to those interviews as well even if they already saw it at PPS.

I need advice. I'm going to be PPSing with a few residencies. You only had one copy of the portfolio that you kept yourself and just brought it out when you were on interviews? Or did you leave a copy of the portfolio with everyone you interviewed with? For the residency showcase I'm guessing it would be pretty useless since you don't have one on one time and I don't think you could give that instead of a CV.

Also if I apply and get a on-site interview then I should bring it again to those interviews as well even if they already saw it at PPS.

I don't think you should bring it for PPS. That is a very limited time and a portfolio will detract from you learning about the program. Bring it to the onsite interviews, if you want to bring one at all. Then again, I haven't done PPS yet, so maybe it's different.