All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My ratties are now *mostly* litter box trained.... :D :D

Now, if they would just decide that I am not evil, that would be really nice.

They also have decided to destroy one of the toys I had in their cage... bad ratties... :laugh:

I have had mine for 6 months and one still screams bloody murder when I pick her up.

Members don't see this ad.

Posting pictures of the cat I've had since elementary school and is coming to vet school with me in the fall :D Her name is Cricket. We got her from a litter of kittens at the barn.

First one is of her sleeping on my bed while I was packing for school.
Second is her "helping" wrap Christmas presents this winter. She kept trying to run off with the string!
Third is just chilling on the porch while watching the dogs.

Attachments

• 2012073014541012 (640x360).jpg
    2012073014541012 (640x360).jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Cricket.jpg
    Cricket.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 69
  • cricket2.jpg
    cricket2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 75
Heres my 2 year old mixed breed dog ajax! What do you all think is in him? (no one really knows for sure)
1315845200078.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Posting pictures of the cat I've had since elementary school and is coming to vet school with me in the fall :D Her name is Cricket. We got her from a litter of kittens at the barn.

First one is of her sleeping on my bed while I was packing for school.
Second is her "helping" wrap Christmas presents this winter. She kept trying to run off with the string!
Third is just chilling on the porch while watching the dogs.

She's beautiful! And seems so soft too! <3

---

I shall add to this thread.

Summer:

281350_507440449276152_180441479_n.jpg

150322_165448020142065_2138648_n.jpg

Maslow:

24292_533976029955927_339884195_n.jpg

603102_517187601634770_1066821935_n.jpg

Teagan ("Pretty Kitty"):

542700_534055976614599_63103883_n.jpg

270308_517187458301451_866920195_n.jpg

603902_538798309473699_958919878_n.jpg

I have a 16 year-old Siamese, that I've had since he was 5 months old. He lives with my family and I and has always been the only pet; thus, he is constantly showered with attention. He was recently diagnosed with kidney failure and has since slowed down a bit, though he still loves to play. However, sometimes if, for example, he sees one of us humans hugging and hanging around someone he doesn't know, he doesn't hiss but I just get that gut feeling he is a bit depressed and just sleeps more/doesn't eat as much.

The other day I found a stray kitten, limping across the street. I found him a no-kill shelter with a very kind lady, but I found out today he may be permanently paralyzed (he can't move his back legs). So, my family and I decided we should bring him home with us because it broke our hearts. However, we are not doing so until next weekend.

I am most concerned about my older cat. Has anyone ever introduced a kitten to an older cat, especially a pedigreed that is this old and has never been around any other animals? My mom works from home and has customers, so every once in a while someone may bring their big dog in our house for a bit and my cat seems completely unaffected. However, one time, maybe about 7 years ago, a friend brought her new kitten over. As soon as my cat saw my mom hold that kitten (as he is most attached to my mom), he hissed at both my mom and the kitten.

Also, this may be an unusual situation, in that this kitten (~4 months old) cannot jump around and try to play with my older cat as he cannot move without help.

I'm just afraid my older cat will die of a broken heart... Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have a 16 year-old Siamese, that I've had since he was 5 months old. He lives with my family and I and has always been the only pet; thus, he is constantly showered with attention. He was recently diagnosed with kidney failure and has since slowed down a bit, though he still loves to play. However, sometimes if, for example, he sees one of us humans hugging and hanging around someone he doesn't know, he doesn't hiss but I just get that gut feeling he is a bit depressed and just sleeps more/doesn't eat as much.

The other day I found a stray kitten, limping across the street. I found him a no-kill shelter with a very kind lady, but I found out today he may be permanently paralyzed (he can't move his back legs). So, my family and I decided we should bring him home with us because it broke our hearts. However, we are not doing so until next weekend.

I am most concerned about my older cat. Has anyone ever introduced a kitten to an older cat, especially a pedigreed that is this old and has never been around any other animals? My mom works from home and has customers, so every once in a while someone may bring their big dog in our house for a bit and my cat seems completely unaffected. However, one time, maybe about 7 years ago, a friend brought her new kitten over. As soon as my cat saw my mom hold that kitten (as he is most attached to my mom), he hissed at both my mom and the kitten.

Also, this may be an unusual situation, in that this kitten (~4 months old) cannot jump around and try to play with my older cat as he cannot move without help.

This may sound a bit...idk, but why have you chosen to adopt the paralyzed cat? Is he hurt to the point where he cannot walk? I know you guys want to save the kitten, but I'm just thinking about quality of life for him. I'd imagine that life for a paralyzed kitten would be extremely difficult and will lead to very expensive vet bills and other problems stemming from being paralyzed. Also, if your older cat decides to go on the offensive, he wont be able to really defend himself. Unfortunately you cannot really know how older cat is going to react until you bring him home. And considering the hurt kitten may need alot more attention due to it's disability, older cat may resent that.

My honest, unfiltered advice would be to have paralyzed kitten euthanized, but I understand the emotional implications that may come along with that. I'm sorry if this offends you, I just, idk, thats how I see it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

This may sound a bit...idk, but why have you chosen to adopt the paralyzed cat? Is he hurt to the point where he cannot walk? I know you guys want to save the kitten, but I'm just thinking about quality of life for him. I'd imagine that life for a paralyzed kitten would be extremely difficult and will lead to very expensive vet bills and other problems stemming from being paralyzed. Also, if your older cat decides to go on the offensive, he wont be able to really defend himself. Unfortunately you cannot really know how older cat is going to react until you bring him home. And considering the hurt kitten may need alot more attention due to it's disability, older cat may resent that.

My honest, unfiltered advice would be to have paralyzed kitten euthanized, but I understand the emotional implications that may come along with that. I'm sorry if this offends you, I just, idk, thats how I see it.

Sorry, I should have specified more. He won't be completely paralyzed, just his back legs (and this is only a possibility). He's completely able to move his front legs, and even tries to walk on them. Other than that, he has no other complications.

I'm inclined to agree here, as hard as it may be.
Just as an aside, one of the hospitals I shadowed at had an adorable paralyzed kitten who had been attacked by a large dog. He lived a the hospital for a while until one of the techs took him home. When he was at the hospital he would scoot around and rub off the hair then give himself sores. A kitten isn't going to not play just because he isn't fully capable. He also was very messy because he couldn't control his urination/bowels and he would just scoot around in his mess. He couldn't use a litter box. Even if this one could, he is still going to drag through his poo and pee and track it everywhere. I'm sure that kitten was even more difficult when he went home and wasn't in a cage. Eventually he ended up self mutilating, chewing at his tail, prepuce and hind legs and they had to euthanize him.
Not that you're asking for opinions on this aspect, but I think quality of life for a little kitten that just wants to run around and be crazy is not great. Yes, he/she might not know the difference, but between the self injury that can occur and the stress on you, I'm just not sure it is in everyone's best interests.

To really answer your question though, I had two new kittens the last few months one after another (first one had a saddle at 6mo and I had to put her down). I have an adult cat who is a cranky pants to begin with. She loves to cuddle and be pet but ONLY when she wants to and ONLY as long as she wants to. But she gets a little jealous and is an overall pain in the bum. The first kitten harassed her relentlessly. Chased her around the house, pounced on her, bugged her constantly. My cat HATED that one and wouldn't be within 20 feet of her. New kitten is a boy and is much more respectful. He tries to run after her once in a while, but otherwise leaves her be and is very good. She still doesn't like him and will hiss, growl and bop him in the head if he's too close, but she doesn't have a problem if he's in the same room. My point being it's all going to depend on your cat and the personality of the kitten. I'd say you're probably going to have a bigger issue since your cat is majorly jealous, but it might be balanced out by a kitten that might not be able to harass him to the full extent.

As a double aside... Do consider that there are going to be A LOT of animals in vet school/in your vet career that are going to need homes, need help, etc. There will be plenty like this one that you could take but it might not be in everyone's best interest. It's going to be a hard decision, but it's going to be important that you recognize that you can't save them all. You have to let some of them go.

Last edited:

while the thought and love behind "no-kill" is wonderful, please remember that the sentence this kitten now has (unless you take him or, unlikely, someone else decides they want to take on such a project) is to live out the rest of his days in a cage. No-kill has its place, but if an animal has poor quality of life, keeping it in a shelter for the next 15 years is a resources drain and not fair to that animal :-/

Sorry, I should have specified more. He won't be completely paralyzed, just his back legs (and this is only a possibility). He's completely able to move his front legs, and even tries to walk on them. Other than that, he has no other complications.

What other injuries is he suspected of having if he isnt completely paralyzed in the hind legs? I imagine he has been seen by a vet, what did they say?

My experience with cats who do not have mobility of their back legs is that they do not gain it back. I usually only work with these cases until their 4 to 7 day stray hold is up, or an owner comes in to reclaim them. I have only seen one owner choose to take the animal home as opposed to humanely euthanizing at the shelter. Unfortunately, they were back a week later because the cat was sadly not able to have a bowel movement.

Any injury that results in back leg immobility is going to be very expensive and time consuming to fix and rehab from.

And I must agree and repeat what jmo1012 and wildcatj have said, quality of life at this point is very unlikely. I hate the thought of euthanizing anything, but I honestly agree that animals like this would be better off then eventually succumbing to the uncomfortable complications of back leg dragging and immobility.

:thumbup:

The others on the forum have covered enough about the kitten for me to not need to reiterate what's already been said, but I also want to bring up the possibility that now, when your older cat is clearly on his last legs, might not be the best time to bring in a new family member, especially not one with the activity level of a kitten, paralyzed or not, and especially not one that requires a special amount of attention when the cat has proven to have plenty of issues with jealousy. I am assuming that with paralyzed hindquarters, this cat is going to need help eliminating, eating, etc. and I don't know if it's entirely fair to add that stress to a 16-year-old cat that has a limited time left.

That said, if you do decide to bring home the kitten, introductions need to be done slowly. For this next week, either spray your house with Feliway or get several Feliway plug-ins. Another option is to additionally bring a piece of cloth or blanket from the kittens' kennel home, and to bring something from home to the kitten, so that they have a chance to smell one another without their actual presence. However, I have never utilized this step and introductions have always, for me, gone fine. I do like to use the Feliway, though, and continue to keep Feliway on hand to keep the cats away from scratching certain pieces of furniture etc. It's definitely a good spray to have on hand.

When kitten actually comes home, give the kitten her own small space. Since the Siamese is possessive, I would say give the kitten a space like the laundry room or the bathroom, not the bedroom or anywhere the Siamese might have claimed as being for him or for his people. If the Siamese does not approach the door, then leave it alone, but if he becomes interested as to who's on the other side, that's when I would start associating the smell with good things. Does he have a special food? Or a special treat? Feed this to him but only when he's by the door. Let the door become less about the cat on the other side and more about the fact that that cat has brought good things with them! Do the same with the kitten. Kittens are a lot more "ooh, hi, how are you?", but it's still good to reward the kitten, too, for accepting the strange cats' scent.

After I do this a few times, I normally open the door slightly, but so that neither can get in or out, and allow them to see/sniff each other that way. I believe Jackson Galaxy at one point used a baby gate for this, but baby gates have never stopped my particular kitties, so they might not be fool-proof. :p But if the cat responds positively, then I'll start feeding them where they can smell and see each other, and a day or two after that, I'll usually let the little ones out, feed the cat a big heaping pile of his favourite food, give the kittens their own bits of food a few feet away, and then watch to let them work it out. If I see signs of tension, that's when I bring in toys and engage everyone in a game. This will be a longer or slower process, depending on the cat. My sister's cat accepted my two kittens within a few days but he's always been really good with kittens. When we fostered, it took my older cat about two weeks before he could finally be in the same room with the kittens.

This is, however, assuming that after all things considered, you think it's still a good idea to bring kitten home. Given your situation, it might be better for everyone to euthanize the kitten and allow your Siamese to live out his remaining time in peace as the only cat. I think it's important to assess the fairness of bringing home a new kitten to a cat who has been diagnosed with kidney failure and who is deteriorating and who has always been an only pet. Something to think about. Good luck with whatever you decide, though.

I need to find a tactful way of telling my parents that they're raising their new Bichon puppy to be a monster. They think it's adorable when the four-month-old latches her jaws onto my mom's pajama bottoms and goes for a ride around the kitchen. Obedience training is just way too much work, and I'm not home enough to do it for them. My "favorite" part is that since the pup is kind-of pee-pad trained, they've decided that they're not going to really housebreak the dog "until it's warmer out." Because, I'm sure it'll be easier to train the dog not to poop in the house *after* she's been doing it for two months. :smack:

Members don't see this ad :)

MaiT, I am going to share a story with you. First, I will say this, while your Siamese guy is still around (and as an only pet forever), he DESERVES every bit of your attention and time until he can no longer be managed with his kidney failure. That is just my opinion.

Now the story, my dvm and our clinic does a large amount for several rescues in our area. I know it is a good thing but I feel that these groups take advantage of her from time to time and that aggravates me. I also do rescue (and am the state coordinator for a national rescue). Now one of these rescue groups took in a stray dog that was picked up on the side of the road. He was nearly hairless (mange), about 50# (starving!) and was weak and could barely walk. This is a german shepherd mix boy that was still intact and was also Erlichia positive. The Erlichia caused (we think) a blood clot to the spine and this dog is now paralyzed. The rescue confirmed by having a myelogram done. They have NO fosters able to deal with this dog's special needs! They have NO adopters able to deal with this dog's special needs! He must have his bladder expressed multiple times a day. He can defecate on his own. He has been living at our clinic since September!!!!!:eek: He is a very smart dog and I think he realizes that he is not a full dog. He now weighs 90# and it is tough to do the things he needs.

My dvm has recently been taking him home with her because she feels bad for him. She does care about him as do all of us. However, it has long been my opinion that his QOL is not sufficient. At confirmation of the myelogram, I would have euthanized if it were up to me. This half life he is living is not fair to him! The stress that my dvm is under with personal issues and this dog are unacceptable to me. She knows what I think because it is MY job to look out for her at the clinic.

I am extremely angry with this rescue group for dumping his care on her and our clinic. I am angry that this dog only knows us as his family. I have told the group and my boss that they should reach out to rescue groups like PWD that routinely deal with these cases for some help. Every plea has been ignored. I am on the verge of being rude.

This dog deserves more. He has now started barking at anybody that he doesn't know when they come into treatment. He wants to be ugly with strange dogs whereas he NEVER was like that until 2 weeks ago. My patience with the situation was exhauted in December.

I worry about the toll this is taking on my dvm, the clinic, and the people. As soon as they realized the paralysis was permanent, he should have gotten every tasty food imaginable then we should have all loved on him before letting him go with the grace and dignity that EVERY animal deserves.

That is my story for you. end

While I agree with you 100% hotfilly, I'm guessing humane euthanasia is nearly out of the question at this point. Is it possible to get the dog a cart to possibly improve his quality of life?

While I agree with you 100% hotfilly, I'm guessing humane euthanasia is nearly out of the question at this point. Is it possible to get the dog a cart to possibly improve his quality of life?

Honestly, I dont think it is out of the question. The group is just very reluctant to euthanize ANY animal regardless of how necessary it is sometimes. He does have a cart but like I said, he is a big dog now that he has filled out and it takes a good deal of upper body strength to get him in or moved around....especially since he is stubborn as h*ll.

I'm not trying to be cold but all the money they are spending on this one dog.........$65 per day for nearly 6 months.

My reading comprehension is low, and thought you were talking about the cat. Regardless, I think it is worth evaluating the emotional toll taking on this kitten could have for you, MaiT. From personal experience, it is a thousand times harder if you decided to take this little guy on and then he needed to be euthanized down the road. I'm probably a little biased, but all I can see is this ending in heart break. Yes, putting this kitten down now would be very very sad, but the chances of it not working out are high in my opinion. There is nothing more heartbreaking than pouring your soul into a special animal and having to put them down. It will kill you like you can't imagine. Especially if part of the reason is your ability (or inability) to give them the care they need.

My reading comprehension is low, and thought you were talking about the cat. Regardless, I think it is worth evaluating the emotional toll taking on this kitten could have for you, MaiT. From personal experience, it is a thousand times harder if you decided to take this little guy on and then he needed to be euthanized down the road. I'm probably a little biased, but all I can see is this ending in heart break. Yes, putting this kitten down now would be very very sad, but the chances of it not working out are high in my opinion. There is nothing more heartbreaking than pouring your soul into a special animal and having to put them down. It will kill you like you can't imagine. Especially if part of the reason is your ability (or inability) to give them the care they need.

Wildcatj--I bet you and Too are right. I honestly skimmed it pretty quickly on the way to my reply. :p

I can totally relate hotfilly. I recently watched a rescue group drop a few thousand dollars on a young puppy who was defecating from her vulva....months later and the dog is still having problems. If she isn't coming in for deobstipation then she is having fecal incontinence. Oh, and she is aggressive...
While the people who are trying to help her have her best interests at heart, I can't help but wonder how many healthy dogs they could have saved with the money they have spent on this one dog, whose adoptability factor is less than great. I also feel like people often do things like that because it makes them feel good, that they have saved an animal who was having serious difficulties. Not that it makes them a bad person, not that they have anything but good intentions, but sometimes we as humans unintentionally cause harm in our attempts to do good.

MaiTai, I think you need to ask yourself a few questions. Do you really honestly think this kitten could have a good quality of life? Have you had it evaluated by a DVM and gotten their opinion? Sorry if I missed you saying that. Also, do you feel like this would have no negative impact on your older cat? Finally, are you trying to save this kitten solely for its benefit, or is it more for your own?
If you can honestly say that you can give this kitten a GOOD quality of life without compromising that of your older cat, then go for it. We can't judge you over the Internet in regards to an animal that we can't see and observe. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted! <3

MaiTai, I think you need to ask yourself a few questions. Do you really honestly think this kitten could have a good quality of life? Have you had it evaluated by a DVM and gotten their opinion? Sorry if I missed you saying that. Also, do you feel like this would have no negative impact on your older cat? Finally, are you trying to save this kitten solely for its benefit, or is it more for your own?
If you can honestly say that you can give this kitten a GOOD quality of life without compromising that of your older cat, then go for it. We can't judge you over the Internet in regards to an animal that we can't see and observe. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted! <3

:thumbup: also, if you come to the conclusion that QOL is not going to be optimal for this kitten, please get it out of the no kill shelter and have it humanely euthanized. hanging out in a cage, dragging its legs around, incurring sores, necrosis, and all of the other problems associated with paralyzation are not what this little guy (or girl) deserves for the rest of its life.

you did a wonderful thing by initially saving this animal so please don't feel discouraged about the situation! :love:

I can totally relate hotfilly. I recently watched a rescue group drop a few thousand dollars on a young puppy who was defecating from her vulva....months later and the dog is still having problems. If she isn't coming in for deobstipation then she is having fecal incontinence. Oh, and she is aggressive...
While the people who are trying to help her have her best interests at heart, I can't help but wonder how many healthy dogs they could have saved with the money they have spent on this one dog, whose adoptability factor is less than great. I also feel like people often do things like that because it makes them feel good, that they have saved an animal who was having serious difficulties. Not that it makes them a bad person, not that they have anything but good intentions, but sometimes we as humans unintentionally cause harm in our attempts to do good.

Sigh.....that's the hard part. I know they have the best of intentions but they have a hard time seeing the forest for the trees. I certainly agree with what else you are saying. For my rescue, aggression is a no brainer.....can't adopt them out, too much liability = euthanasia. Luckily, I have not had any problems with any of my fosters in this area or with major health concerns.

My current rescue boy has something neuro going on but we aren't quite sure what yet. He has CP deficits in the rear but is nonpainful. Falls into an awkward sit if backs up too fast. I did a video and my dvm is going to post it on vin so hopefully, we can get some advice.

MaiT--I'm sorry if I came off harsh. I wasn't trying to be. We all work with these animals for a variety of reasons and it is hard when confronted with a heartwrenching case. I'm sure that you will make the best decision for yourself, the old man, and this little baby. Good luck!

:thumbup: also, if you come to the conclusion that QOL is not going to be optimal for this kitten, please get it out of the no kill shelter and have it humanely euthanized. hanging out in a cage, dragging its legs around, incurring sores, necrosis, and all of the other problems associated with paralyzation are not what this little guy (or girl) deserves for the rest of its life.

you did a wonderful thing by initially saving this animal so please don't feel discouraged about the situation! :love:

Nicely said :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm going to give an alternate viewpoint on this one. I have a paralyzed bird. I've been taking care of her for almost a year now, first in 3 months of ICU care at the zoo she came from, then 2 months of general care in the hospital before I adopted her and took her home. Taking care of her is a lot of work. She takes at least 1 medication per day, but has taken as many as ten per day before. I constantly have to adjust and redesign her husbandry. I have to do physical therapy as often as I can. Occasionally when she's not feeling well I have to help her defecate. Does she have a good quality of life? Depends on who you ask. I think so, most of the time, although occasionally when she's not feeling well/acting restless she breaks my heart a little bit and I second guess myself. I was really worried about her recently as she lost a lot of weight (she's pretty skinny to start with), but it seems she was just depressed about me being gone for interviews and wasn't eating well. For a brief moment I thought it might be her time, and I really had trouble facing that thought. I know that I will most likely have to euthanize her, probably sooner rather than later. But for right now, I give her all the love I can, and she has helped me learn more than anything else ever has. When I think about having to make the decision to euthanize her down the line, I feel pretty bad. But I don't regret taking her in. I don't think I was wrong in giving her a positive quality of life assessment when she left the ICU. I don't regret giving her the best life I can for as long as I can. She's played a very important role in this chapter of my life, and when the time comes, I will celebrate that fact. Some people might say that I'm being selfish in keeping her alive, and I sometimes think that they'd be right. But I'm at least aware of it and can remind myself when I need to that her quality of life comes first, not my happiness.

This of course is a very personal decision. As wildcat said, you have to evaluate your own emotions. I just wanted to give an alternate viewpoint. You also have to consider your own resources and ability to care for the animal. Fortunately, you have a few more options with a cat who still has use of his front legs than with my bird who lost use of the only two legs she has. I however am lucky enough to get all the vet care and supplies I need for my bird for free. I also see her vet once a week and know that she's only an email away if I need her advice and council. If you don't have those kind of resources, you have to judge whether you will be able to give the cat the quality of life he deserves. Paralyzed animals can have a good quality of life, but it is a very big commitment, and you have to remain realistic and always be aware of your own emotions to make sure you are not keeping them alive selfishly.

You guys have been an amazing support and I wish I could hug all of you lol. He has been evaluated by a DVM (and is staying at my vet clinic for the next week, as I have an interview in Canada (yay!) and can't do anything for the kitten at the moment); she (and the vet techs agree) that only time will tell if he will be able to move his back legs. As of now, he really can't, but he does have sensation in both, and he is eager to move around. He purrs every time someone comes near him, and they all agree that he will have a good QOL, AS LONG AS he is in the right home. He might end up in one of those kitty wheel-chairs, but it's most likely a bruised disc from some sort of trauma, so hopefully it will heal on its own (anyone ever experience a patient like this and have some advice)?

However, I have come to the conclusion (after way too many tears) that although I trust myself and my family that we would take great care of this guy, my house is not the right home, simply because of my own elderly cat. He is, and always will be, our #1 concern. I pray everyday his life will be as long as possible, and as one of you has said, he DESERVES for that remaining time to be great (I'm so glad someone literally took those words right out of my mouth!).

I am finding plenty of fosters in the meantime that are willing to take careful watch (with barely any other house-cats around) of this kitten at the moment, but no one willing to adopt this potentially (though unlikely) paralyzed cat. I have found one lady who is willing to take him if he is not paralyzed but still healing, and the vet said give it 4-6 weeks until we get a better idea of what the future may hold. So I guess I shall just take it day by day with the fostering...

I'm going to give an alternate viewpoint on this one. I have a paralyzed bird. I've been taking care of her for almost a year now, first in 3 months of ICU care at the zoo she came from, then 2 months of general care in the hospital before I adopted her and took her home. Taking care of her is a lot of work. She takes at least 1 medication per day, but has taken as many as ten per day before. I constantly have to adjust and redesign her husbandry. I have to do physical therapy as often as I can. Occasionally when she's not feeling well I have to help her defecate. Does she have a good quality of life? Depends on who you ask. I think so, most of the time, although occasionally when she's not feeling well/acting restless she breaks my heart a little bit and I second guess myself. I was really worried about her recently as she lost a lot of weight (she's pretty skinny to start with), but it seems she was just depressed about me being gone for interviews and wasn't eating well. For a brief moment I thought it might be her time, and I really had trouble facing that thought. I know that I will most likely have to euthanize her, probably sooner rather than later. But for right now, I give her all the love I can, and she has helped me learn more than anything else ever has. When I think about having to make the decision to euthanize her down the line, I feel pretty bad. But I don't regret taking her in. I don't think I was wrong in giving her a positive quality of life assessment when she left the ICU. I don't regret giving her the best life I can for as long as I can. She's played a very important role in this chapter of my life, and when the time comes, I will celebrate that fact. Some people might say that I'm being selfish in keeping her alive, and I sometimes think that they'd be right. But I'm at least aware of it and can remind myself when I need to that her quality of life comes first, not my happiness.

This of course is a very personal decision. As wildcat said, you have to evaluate your own emotions. I just wanted to give an alternate viewpoint. You also have to consider your own resources and ability to care for the animal. Fortunately, you have a few more options with a cat who still has use of his front legs than with my bird who lost use of the only two legs she has. I however am lucky enough to get all the vet care and supplies I need for my bird for free. I also see her vet once a week and know that she's only an email away if I need her advice and council. If you don't have those kind of resources, you have to judge whether you will be able to give the cat the quality of life he deserves. Paralyzed animals can have a good quality of life, but it is a very big commitment, and you have to remain realistic and always be aware of your own emotions to make sure you are not keeping them alive selfishly.

I'm really glad you posted. I think you are a great of example of understanding your capabilities and knowing what you're getting into. The fact that you question is so so important. It can be so hard to really grasp IF you can emotionally handle it and what it is you're getting into. I have had several really really rough foster situations. One of them I took way better than I thought I would have, one was terrible terrible, and the last one just about killed me. You have to protect yourself, especially in this field. I'm a friggin broken record tonight.

ALSO, as i have mentioned, only time will tell about this guy's condition and whether he will have a good QOL. I'm having a very easy time finding fosters, but not finding long-term adopters, so if any of you happen to know anyone in the NYC area interested in adopting a potentially disabled kitten (i will keep you updated on his condition), please let me know! :)

You guys have been an amazing support and I wish I could hug all of you lol. He has been evaluated by a DVM (and is staying at my vet clinic for the next week, as I have an interview in Canada (yay!) and can't do anything for the kitten at the moment); she (and the vet techs agree) that only time will tell if he will be able to move his back legs. As of now, he really can't, but he does have sensation in both, and he is eager to move around. He purrs every time someone comes near him, and they all agree that he will have a good QOL, AS LONG AS he is in the right home. He might end up in one of those kitty wheel-chairs, but it's most likely a bruised disc from some sort of trauma, so hopefully it will heal on its own (anyone ever experience a patient like this and have some advice)?

However, I have come to the conclusion (after way too many tears) that although I trust myself and my family that we would take great care of this guy, my house is not the right home, simply because of my own elderly cat. He is, and always will be, our #1 concern. I pray everyday his life will be as long as possible, and as one of you has said, he DESERVES for that remaining time to be great (I'm so glad someone literally took those words right out of my mouth!).

I am finding plenty of fosters in the meantime that are willing to take careful watch (with barely any other house-cats around) of this kitten at the moment, but no one willing to adopt this potentially (though unlikely) paralyzed cat. I have found one lady who is willing to take him if he is not paralyzed but still healing, and the vet said give it 4-6 weeks until we get a better idea of what the future may hold. So I guess I shall just take it day by day with the fostering...

Thanks for the response, and thank you for being so receptive to our feedback.

I work in a kill shelter (we do not EU due to time spent in the shelter, but we do EU for severe medical/behavior reasons) and I do not always agree with decision making. I believe the concept behind no-kills are wonderful, and the people who run them always have brilliant hearts. But I really, really hope this guy gets the end he needs, whether it be a wonderful forever home or a humane euthanasia. Please keep us posted!

Thanks for the response, and thank you for being so receptive to our feedback.

I work in a kill shelter (we do not EU due to time spent in the shelter, but we do EU for severe medical/behavior reasons) and I do not always agree with decision making. I believe the concept behind no-kills are wonderful, and the people who run them always have brilliant hearts. But I really, really hope this guy gets the end he needs, whether it be a wonderful forever home or a humane euthanasia. Please keep us posted!

:thumbup::thumbup:

just me & the dog, but the bottom right/the one right above it is basically any time I want to go to sleep. darn dog.

Good for you! :) Sometimes being part of vet med IS realizing your personal limitations. You will thank yourself in the long run and so will your old man. :)

ALSO, as i have mentioned, only time will tell about this guy's condition and whether he will have a good QOL. I'm having a very easy time finding fosters, but not finding long-term adopters, so if any of you happen to know anyone in the NYC area interested in adopting a potentially disabled kitten (i will keep you updated on his condition), please let me know! :)

I will hope for a good outcome with this little guy. The best advice I can give regarding foster placement would be to make absolutely sure that any foster knows what they are getting into. Exactly what is involved as cleaning him up from accidents. Sometimes ppl find the idea attractive for altruistic purposes but then get hit and then overwhelmed by the reality.

I will keep my fingers crossed....

Found a double ferret nation cage for my ratties used for $150. Yay!

You're going to love it! Be prepared for it to be BIG! :D

It might definitely have to go in the living room then :/ Hmm.

Rats are just coming around again. I think moving them and having the car come in after realizing the door does not latch properly sometimes freaked them out.

viocoy.jpg

A picture of my puppy I fostered last summer and ALMOST adopted.. I miss him!

It might definitely have to go in the living room then :/ Hmm.

Rats are just coming around again. I think moving them and having the car come in after realizing the door does not latch properly sometimes freaked them out.

We don't have a dining room, we have a ferret room. :laugh: My FN's three stories, but it's huge... that's the ceiling in the top left corner.

xFWRCAS.jpg

We don't have a dining room, we have a ferret room. :laugh: My FN's three stories, but it's huge... that's the ceiling in the top left corner.

xFWRCAS.jpg

Trilt, :love:. You have 2+ ferrets, right? Around how much per month do you think you spend on them? I've always wanted ferrets, just can't get them right at this moment. But for future reference.

A little late in posting this, but this is one of my favorite pictures so imma post it anyway. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Trilt, :love:. You have 2+ ferrets, right? Around how much per month do you think you spend on them? I've always wanted ferrets, just can't get them right at this moment. But for future reference.

I've got two who are technically mine, and then one who belongs to my roomie but I take care of anyway. :laugh: The /r/ferrets subreddit on reddit actually somewhat recently did a survey of a bunch of members about their costs, and it's here. They didn't include veterinary costs in that, and when you have older ferrets that REALLY can add up, but my estimates for that would also be off because I have such subsidized care through the school...

The largest cost is really getting initially set up - my cage itself was >$300, then I have a pen outside it, and litter boxes/blankets/tubing/etc can definitely can add up. Oh and actually getting your ferret, although mine were either lab animal rejects or Craigslist adoptions, so that was on the lower side for me, personally.

They're great animals, though. Love the little punks. Except Nori, who keeps getting out of the pen and waking me up by nibbling on my toes at 6am. :rolleyes:

I've got two who are technically mine, and then one who belongs to my roomie but I take care of anyway. :laugh: The /r/ferrets subreddit on reddit actually somewhat recently did a survey of a bunch of members about their costs, and it's here. They didn't include veterinary costs in that, and when you have older ferrets that REALLY can add up, but my estimates for that would also be off because I have such subsidized care through the school...

The largest cost is really getting initially set up - my cage itself was >$300, then I have a pen outside it, and litter boxes/blankets/tubing/etc can definitely can add up. Oh and actually getting your ferret, although mine were either lab animal rejects or Craigslist adoptions, so that was on the lower side for me, personally.

They're great animals, though. Love the little punks. Except Nori, who keeps getting out of the pen and waking me up by nibbling on my toes at 6am. :rolleyes:

I had the option to buy a huge cage(not quite as big as yours, but close),2 ferrets and all bedding/toys/left over food, etc for under $100 a couple months ago. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it and buying them. But, right now, I'm glad I didn't. Need to get my other job set up first, now that the roommie is moving out. My bills just doubled. :thumbdown:

I'm lucky, had a good friend give me a fully papered Welsh Corgi, I love my big headed dog, he's awesome!!

pembroke-welsh-corgi-0045.jpg

I'm lucky, had a good friend give me a fully papered Welsh Corgi, I love my big headed dog, he's awesome!!

pembroke-welsh-corgi-0045.jpg

:love: Corgis!!! I have one (well, family pet) and I love him to death. I think he's on the previous page with his brand new cart since he most likely has degenerative myelopathy.

Actually just found out my corgi, Rudy passed last night due to breathing difficulties/heart failure. We knew that this might happen at some point, but he had been doing well for a while and I had been hoping to see him this weekend when I go home for break.

Actually just found out my corgi, Rudy passed last night due to breathing difficulties/heart failure. We knew that this might happen at some point, but he had been doing well for a while and I had been hoping to see him this weekend when I go home for break.

So so sorry, it's so tough, even when you know it's coming.

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. All my condolences. It's never easy.

Thanks guys. I knew it was going to happen eventually, but those complications were a bit unexpected.

It's definitely not going to fully sink in until I'm home at the end of this week.