Dating a circulator -> asking for trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leaverus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've been at this job about 3 months now and i'm infatuated with one of our circulating nurses. she's a very quiet person and we've had a few "eye contact" moments (i think), but i'm reluctant to really pursue her because i'm pretty conflicted about whether it's a good idea or not; and i suspect she may be too - who knows. i'm well aware of the dangers in dating a coworker - especially at such a small community hospital - but any success stories out there between anesthesiologists and OR nurses?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask HR? Better still, say Hi, talk to her. She's probably married/has a bf. The pretty AND smart AND nice ones are never single. If she is indeed single (because of some obscure mental health related reason that we will later find out), then tell her you would like to keep talking to her on a friendly basis and formally ask her out when she is no longer on the OR rotation. Howzat?:cool:

Ask HR? Better still, say Hi, talk to her. She's probably married/has a bf. The pretty AND smart AND nice ones are never single. If she is indeed single (because of some obscure mental health related reason that we will later find out), then tell her you would like to keep talking to her on a friendly basis and formally ask her out when she is no longer on the OR rotation. Howzat?:cool:

-Ask HR? i couldn't care less what office people think - it aint their business.
-she's definitely not married - as for bf, possible.
-mental health disorder? you've just described every single female in the country (and possibly the married ones but i wouldnt know about that)
-no longer on the OR rotation?? she's a circulating nurse - a permanent full-time employee in the OR and i'm an attending anesthesiologist. i will see her every day until one of us either dies or leaves their job

Members don't see this ad :)
-Ask HR? i couldn't care less what office people think - it aint their business.
-she's definitely not married - as for bf, possible.
-mental health disorder? you've just described every single female in the country (and possibly the married ones but i wouldnt know about that)
-no longer on the OR rotation?? she's a circulating nurse - a permanent full-time employee in the OR and i'm an attending anesthesiologist. i will see her every day until one of us either dies or leaves their job

You should definitely use this as your pickup line.

Works every time, I promise

:smuggrin:

You already know the answer, or you wouldn't be asking random folks on the internets. So, I'll give you what you want.
Go for it! She hot, you're hot, and the passionate romance will last long into your 90's, when Hallmark, Lifetime and Oxygen will fight for the rights to your life story. Every OR nurse, every nurse in the hospital for that matter, will say "what a decent man" every time you walk by, since she will only brag about you and how you can do no wrong. There will never be drama, since both of you are so grateful to have finally found your soul mate. Birds will sing every morning, and gas prices will fall as you win the lottery on your wedding day.:love:

tumblr_mh2elsSoHh1s25p6ro1_250.gif

Oh, OK. Then you are screwed. Get over it. :oops:
I imagine that OP is the splitting image of Casanova - like all male anesthesiologists. So, OP should start hanging out in the PICU. I have been informed that they have really cute nurses there. Or, make friends with the PICU attending(s). Let us know how that goes.

You don't dip your pen in company ink.
Also...
Don't shiite where you eat.

Go bang her roommate.

Oh yeah. So the next day the whole hospital's female population gets to know the sordid details of the first and only encounter? Do you have any idea of the stuff girl roomies share and that women don't have a filter when talking to their friends????...:eek::eek::eek:
Nurse points towards OP..."See that attending right there? Yeah, so he and my roommate came home last night. This morning my roommate texted me and HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA..."

Sounds like you better step up and tell her how you feel before you lose her.
Congratulations on falling in love.

I'm just amazed your hospital has hot circulators. I don't think we have one under 45, the PICU nurses on the other hand... :)

Go for it. I dated a scrub tech while in residency. A smart AND pretty AND nice one without a mental health disorder ;) Now we have two kids and all our money is laundered through Gymboree.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends said never date strippers or nurses - their both crazy. From experiences of people around me I can attest to both being generally accurate.

we've had a few "eye contact" moments (i think)

I've had many eye contact moments with people too. Most of the time I can feel the piercing glares dig deep into my soul.

Now you're talking Bern!

Actually, I say just go for it. If she's shy, you need to be careful since that "eye contact" might just be her way of thinking too hard to ask you if you guys want a lower bear hugger this time..... LOL

Seriously though, while you need to apply much more tact with someone you work with, and spend time looking at her more critically (to hedge against things not going well and then "spending the rest of your lives together...." hahaha). Make damn sure she's a good lady. Then, make sure she's trustworthy enough to keep your early dating life a secret to buffer that critical early time in a relationship.

Now, go do the right thing! (seriously, you need to be careful in your approach since it IS the workplace).

That being said, if you're in a well populated area where there are other options, maybe go for those. If NOT, and it's nothing but fatties and ugly ones all over, then well, you may not have a choice. SHE just happens to work in the same OR as you!

One of our surgeons divorced his wife and married a PACU bunny.

He doens't take as much call now days. :rolleyes:

So if you have a nurse that strips does that cancel out? Or double trouble?

or a stripper whose theme is a nurse - and what if she's only doing it to pay her way through med school?

N
That being said, if you're in a well populated area where there are other options, maybe go for those. If NOT, and it's nothing but fatties and ugly ones all over, then well, you may not have a choice. SHE just happens to work in the same OR as you!

this. there are always other options of course - not in the OR itself but around the hospital, but i like her quiet demeanor.
she is foreign-born so there's a slight chance she's not crazy. but here's the other dilemma - we're of different races so i'm not even sure she'd be open to the idea of an inter-racial thing. i'd hate to really embarrass myself then and have to see her every day. ildistriero et al, i normally respect your (anesthesia-related) advice very much, guys; but as i said, i'm kinda smitten with her so i can't just quell these emotions as easily as i would wish - i'm certain much better men than i have tried and failed.
btw, where'd you guys get the idea that she was hot? i never said that. ok, she's smoking hot :love: but thats besides the point.

How well do you know this lady? Maybe it's worth something to try and find out if she is actually 1) available and, 2) interested in you (or at least does not find you repulsive). From my experience, work place gossips can get very intense and make life very difficult. Whether you succeed or fail, will she keep the whole relationship quiet or tell her girlfriends everything? The decision lies with you as you know.

Random points:

- What makes you think a foreign-born woman is somehow immune to being crazy?

- I've only ever heard inter-racial used in the context of p*rn.

- We assumed she is hot because we are all superficial f*cks. Well I am anyway.

How well do you know this lady? Maybe it's worth something to try and find out if she is actually 1) available and, 2) interested in you (or at least does not find you repulsive).

well that was kinda my point. i wouldn't even bother trying to find out if she was available if she didn't interest me enough to want to find out more about her.

From my experience, work place gossips can get very intense and make life very difficult.

nah, i dont care about being the subject of gossip. doesn't faze me.

What makes you think a foreign-born woman is somehow immune to being crazy?

i dont. but when the norm is crazy, i'm willing to settle for "slightly less crazy"

I've only ever heard inter-racial used in the context of p*rn.

not sure what you mean. are you saying people readily accept miscegenation these days?

btw, where's blade with links to 50 peer-reviewed articles concluding that's a bad idea to date circulating nurses?

This thread is by far the funniest thread I read on SDN in a long time!
I say... go talk to her and see what happens, it's much better than spending the rest of your life regretting being a pu ssy!

I am 0/1 with nurses. She turned out to be crazy (seriously). Took me 6 months to find out and hit the road. :naughty:

IMHO, craziness is directly proportional to physical attractiveness, not where she was born or what she does. Basic human nature: the really attractive ones have little incentive to build character. They know that they can be a janitor and an attending will ask them out if they are hawt enough. That said, I have met attractive and intelligent women (the way I define intelligence, your definition will differ) but they were all ringed up in their early 20s.

Lolol. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that there are Attendings saying most of the stuff in this thread. God I think Anesthesiology selects for the coolest people in medicine. Awesome.

Oh and I say just talk to her, but start by pretty early on telling her that you're never getting married, if she's OK with that.... It's on.

this. so much this. Never seen a dietician I wouldn't bang.

1+
Are they called dieticians now? I thought they were Nutritionist. Either way, I would hit. Also don't forget about respiratory therapists and ICU nurses..

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that there are Attendings saying most of the stuff in this thread. God I think Anesthesiology selects for the coolest people in medicine. Awesome.

You do realize that the OP is soliciting advice from a bulletin board before even saying Hi to a women he works with? It doesn't make us look cool, if you come to think of it. :)

1+
Are they called dieticians now? I thought they were Nutritionist. Either way, I would hit. Also don't forget about respiratory therapists and ICU nurses..

Never seen an ICU nurse that isn't over 50. I must be missing out.

In residency icu nurses and dietitians were passed around like candy. Docs got a aweful rep. Be smart don't date or hookup with anyone at a job you care about. There are plenty of women out there.

As far as I can tell hot OR nurses full time jobs are to chart things and flirt. So many of them stext too---don't they know the residents they send their pictures too send it to everyone else too!

am i the only one who can't possibly stand to flirt with some annoyingly, bitchy OR nurse?

the lack of decent looking young women in the OR/preop/pacu area is the only thing that makes me envious of the medicine/surgery/EM residents.

As far as I can tell hot OR nurses full time jobs are to chart things and flirt. So many of them stext too---don't they know the residents they send their pictures too send it to everyone else too!

Now I know I am really missing out.

Where I'm at there are a few hotty RT's, but I swear MOST look like they are smokers, It's the weirdest thing.

So i've been at this job about 3 months now and i'm infatuated with one of our circulating nurses. she's a very quiet person and we've had a few "eye contact" moments (i think), but i'm reluctant to really pursue her because i'm pretty conflicted about whether it's a good idea or not; and i suspect she may be too - who knows. i'm well aware of the dangers in dating a coworker - especially at such a small community hospital - but any success stories out there between anesthesiologists and OR nurses?

Take my advice. Don't eat where you poop if you know what I mean. If things go bad, your job may not be as much fun. And to be honest, all the good females are married in their early 20s. Dating someone 30 and above, they have all been really crazy.

And to be honest, all the good females are married in their early 20s. Dating someone 30 and above, they have all been really crazy.
100% correct in my experience. Sadly, too many of us missed the boat. :(:(:(

Take my advice. Don't eat where you poop if you know what I mean. If things go bad, your job may not be as much fun. And to be honest, all the good females are married in their early 20s. Dating someone 30 and above, they have all been really crazy.

There's always mail-order early-20-somethings. I guess it just depends where the creepy-guy / crazy-her line is drawn. :)