“Half the time, I hate my job...Half the time, I’d do it for free.”

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishingboat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this was about as honest a portrayal of life as a surgery resident as I've read by a non-physician. Several choice anecdotes within.

https://catapult.co/stories/the-surgical-resident-life

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@LucidSplash posted that on FB a few days back and I also enjoyed it.

My only 2 "WTF" moments were the gallbladder picture and the staff member going and getting the residents food (seemingly on a regular basis).

Yeah that seemed a little creepy. Or they were in a relationship and he just left that part out. But the consumption of Thai food while complaining about a workup by medicine service is basically my call weekend over and over.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that seemed a little creepy. Or they were in a relationship and he just left that part out. But the consumption of Thai food while complaining about a workup by medicine service is basically my call weekend over and over.

Sure, but having a hospital employee go get it and deliver it to you? I mean my BF would but I don't recall any staff doing that for us on a regular basis.

I kind of got the impression she was doing that as a part of her research for writing the article?

I see.

It's been over a week since I've read the article but I came away with the sense that she was befriending the residents and bringing them dinner because of that (then again our cafeteria was open 23 hours a day so we didn't really need anyone to bring us food).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interesting -- attendings buy me food all the time. Disclaimer: I've yet to sleep with any of them.

I see.

It's been over a week since I've read the article but I came away with the sense that she was befriending the residents and bringing them dinner because of that (then again our cafeteria was open 23 hours a day so we didn't really need anyone to bring us food).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

meh, I got the impression she just became close friends with a few of the residents. then others probably opened up for the story.

"I have the privilege of bearing witness to their setbacks and breakthroughs. Dear friendships have bloomed with some, like Sabrina, in the cracks between workups and lectures and surgeries. "

I did a bit of teaching for residents and fellows at my old job and became pretty good friends with a couple, an outside of work as well type friendship. Our cafeteria wasn't 24 hrs, so there was one or two I would've brought food to if the situation called for it. Then again, they would've done same for me.