“Nike Swoosh” Grade Trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I saw a post where someone was asking if their yearly GPAs constituted an upward trend. Someone replied that it was a “Nike swoosh” and that it was fine.

Me, being neurotic, wanted to ask the same question....

HS dual-credit transfer: 3.84
Freshman: 3.89
Sophomore: 3.43
Junior: 3.23
Senior: 3.79

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not an upward trend.

But this isn't going to be what keeps you out of med school either.

The median GPA for accepted students is approximately a 3.7. You're right around there.

Okay, thank you! That makes me feel somewhat better!

I used your calculator and that made me hopeful, as well. Still have another year to work on my application before I apply, so it’s good to know I’m not too far off track.

Would you say the trend is somewhat normal in that it gets lower as the years go on?

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, thank you! That makes me feel somewhat better!

I used your calculator and that made me hopeful, as well. Still have another year to work on my application before I apply, so it’s good to know I’m not too far off track.

Would you say the trend is somewhat normal in that it gets lower as the years go on?

It’s very common. Let’s talk again next May

Hey everyone,

I saw a post where someone was asking if their yearly GPAs constituted an upward trend. Someone replied that it was a “Nike swoosh” and that it was fine.

Me, being neurotic, wanted to ask the same question....

HS dual-credit transfer: 3.84
Freshman: 3.89
Sophomore: 3.43
Junior: 3.23
Senior: 3.79
V-shaped, whatever...you're fine

The year you take o-chem is usually the year with the lowest GPA. For the typical student that means that year 2 of college is the lowest and year 3 is higher with year 4 higher than that.

The year you take o-chem is usually the year with the lowest GPA. For the typical student that means that year 2 of college is the lowest and year 3 is higher with year 4 higher than that.

Year 2 was O-chem, year 3 was a full biochem sequence. The biochem destroyed me, to be honest.